Round-Earth Deniers: The Great Balloon Project

gatsby

Round-Earth Deniers: The Great Balloon Project

Post by gatsby » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:03 am

The flat earthers want to see for themselves if the Earth is flat or round, so they are/were planning to launch balloons to do their own experiments and observations. The launch was scheduled for Sept. 28, but I'm not sure if it happened or not.

They were raising money, but their PayPal page says something about an error on the account holder's website. The project is so ridiculous that maybe PayPal shut them down for suspected fraud. But, hey, a group of people who don't trust science is doing some science, so it can't be all bad. :-D
This is OUR world we are exploring - no longer do we need others to tell us the truth about the world around us - NOW we have the power to confirm or deny almost everything - IF we work together!
But as a commenter notes on a related video:
Oh the irony. Using GPS which relies on satellites orbiting a globe to help try and "prove" the ridiculous flat earth delusion. LOL.
[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

gatsby

Re: The Great Balloon Project

Post by gatsby » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:09 am

Under this theory, does everything exist only on the top side of the flat Earth? Or is Oz and other stuff on the bottom side?

Wouldn't the ocean water eventually flow over the sides like giant waterfalls? And I can't quite figure out how the magnetic fields work when there are no poles and not much of a molten-metallic core.

:confused:

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:24 am

Fundraising has re-started from scratch, assuming these are the same folks. Of the $1,000 goal, $530 has been raised in four days.
I am a Flat Earth researcher. And I want to prove to everyone that the Earth is flat. I will be doing several high altitude balloon launches at different times of day to get definite proof. At the salt flats. One proof will be that I hypothesize we would be able to see the sun when the sun is supposed to be 180 on the other side of the "Globe". Another proof would be to launch the balloon 2 hours before noon to show how close the sun really is because it should almost be at 90 degrees. I have found some very excellent equipment I would like to send up such as a high-definition camera attached to a gimbal to cancel the rocking that causes lens distortion. I will also be putting a Raspberry pi computer with a sensor array to give us telemetry data and a GPS tracking device to find the unit. The sensor array is the Raspberry pi Sense hat. I have had some comments here saying that I'm using GPS to find the unit after it descends proves the earth is a globe. GPS uses ground-based technology, the signal fails at a certain altitude. :nope:
A supporter:
Ryan Wyrick 22 2 days ago You trolls knocking flat earth are soooooo weak... you cant do anything for yourselves you gotta talk about what this one guy did this one time and oh yeah you guys that think everyone else is dumb as you and cant tell the difference between cgi and and a photo look again....if you cant tell that doesn't mean we lack anything it means you're just a well hearded sheep.... The ground we walk on is so flat its ridiculous.... If you study this topic like some of these troll ass comments say you do than youd know how flat it is by now..... If you're trolling of flat earth videos and don't believe it you're a troll....simple..... People don't just care this much about indoctrinating with a comment..... If you've done any research at all then you know it is flat and no eclipses do not prove anything... Look up diamagnetism.... look up sonoluminesense ... The stars have never moved in the history of time all constellations are right where theve been the whole time... Polaris is right there its all right there.... Sailors have had the same stars to travel across the pizza planet ever since we got tired of swimming.... And cave men we were not.... But cave men we might become if we keep going to public schools.... Funny part is all the Leaders of the world all know what I just said all believe it, they don't even believe the shit they tell you.....but you do......with the internet and all these answers at a fingers touch and you still don't know..... The Matrix is beautiful isn't it.....

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:42 am

gatsby wrote:Under this theory, does everything exist only on the top side of the flat Earth? Or is Oz and other stuff on the bottom side?

Wouldn't the ocean water eventually flow over the sides like giant waterfalls? And I can't quite figure out how the magnetic fields work when there are no poles and not much of a molten-metallic core.

Yes, the oceans flow over, but they magically replenish themselves. The world is supported on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of the Great A 'Tuin, who swims through the depths of space.

Have you heard the latest? They say that Vetinerri was really born in Uberwald! Where are the transcripts of his grades in assassin's school?

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:52 am

gatsby wrote:Fundraising has re-started from scratch, assuming these are the same folks. Of the $1,000 goal, $530 has been raised in four days.
One proof will be that I hypothesize we would be able to see the sun when the sun is supposed to be 180 on the other side of the "Globe".
Holy Mike that's stupid. Even on a flat earth, the sun would be on the "other side" at night.
Ryan Wyrick 22 ....if you cant tell that doesn't mean we lack anything it means you're just a well hearded sheep....
"Do you herd sheep?" my Grandma cried;
My Grandpa leapt in fright.
"That Grammar's wrong!" to me he sighed,
"Have you heard sheep?" is right.
---Walt Kelly
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:04 am

This has got to be a grift.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:40 am

Chilidog wrote:
gatsby wrote:Under this theory, does everything exist only on the top side of the flat Earth? Or is Oz and other stuff on the bottom side?

Yes, the oceans flow over, but they magically replenish themselves. The world is supported on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of the Great A 'Tuin, who swims through the depths of space.

Have you heard the latest? They say that Vetinerri was really born in Uberwald! Where are the transcripts of his grades in assassin's school?
No, it's turtles all the way down.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:54 am

Nope, there are definitely elephants

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:48 am

A nefarious conspiracy by you know who!!!!
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Why do they need a balloon? :roll: On a clear day you can watch a ship drop below the horizon as it moves away from you. If you are on a ship moving toward land you can see the land rise above the horizon. These folk, if they are not grifters, just need to open their eyes and look.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:11 pm

Flat Earthers, valiantly reinventing the square wheel, and then wondering why it won't roll.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Volkonski wrote:Why do they need a balloon? :roll: On a clear day you can watch a ship drop below the horizon as it moves away from you. If you are on a ship moving toward land you can see the land rise above the horizon. These folk, if they are not grifters, just need to open their eyes and look.
I can't imagine that there is much to shear from this flock of sheep. Flat Earth grifters must be pretty near the bottom of the barrel.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:42 pm

I largely suspect that most of the "flat Earthers" are really just trolls that enjoy being contrary for the LULZ! The best thing to do is ignore them.

There is a very interesting video where this guys talk about this through maths and physics.

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:34 pm

What's really fun is to get a flat earther and a hollow earther in the same room together, the stupid implosion is homeric to say the least as they are both heretics to the other, and both equally stupid.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

much ado

Post by much ado » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:What's really fun is to get a flat earther and a hollow earther in the same room together, the stupid implosion is homeric to say the least as they are both heretics to the other, and both equally stupid.
Is there a Youtube?

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:51 am

much ado wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:What's really fun is to get a flat earther and a hollow earther in the same room together, the stupid implosion is homeric to say the least as they are both heretics to the other, and both equally stupid.
Is there a Youtube?
I don't think you could intentionally willingly get them in the same room with each other, and as I remember from having known a few of each, long long ago, they consider each other the rankest of heretics, but yeah, it would be fun.

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:56 pm

The flat earthers launched their balloon! A second launch is planned for late November.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:04 pm

gatsby wrote:The flat earthers launched their balloon! A second launch is planned for late November.
What happens when it float over the edge? Will it drop unto the moon ? Another hoax moon landing perhaps? :doh:

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:43 pm

I still want to know what's on the other side of our flat Earth. Shirley, Crexlan wouldn't want it to go to waste?

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:47 pm

gatsby wrote:I still want to know what's on the other side of our flat Earth. Shirley, Crexlan wouldn't want it to go to waste?
I believe that's already been answered upthread: after the elephants it's turtles all the way down.

By the way, the picture above is incorrect---the elephants don't face outward, the walk in a circle to rotate the Earth.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:09 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
gatsby wrote:I still want to know what's on the other side of our flat Earth. Shirley, Crexlan wouldn't want it to go to waste?
I believe that's already been answered upthread: after the elephants it's turtles all the way down.

By the way, the picture above is incorrect---the elephants don't face outward, they walk in a circle to rotate the Earth.

Be gentle with the readers, Slarti - most are lawyers or non-sciency folk so they won't have your detailed knowledge of astrophysics and orbital dynamics! ;)

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:06 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:

By the way, the picture above is incorrect---the elephants don't face outward, the walk in a circle to rotate the Earth.
I thought Atlas carried the World on his back.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Da Funky Maoist

Post by Da Funky Maoist » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:43 pm

Somewhat serious question here, what do flat earthers say about how gravity works?
"You liked Rashomon."
"That's not how I remember it."

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:21 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote: I thought Atlas carried the World on his back.
He shrugged.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:43 am

Suranis wrote:
Flatpointhigh wrote: I thought Atlas carried the World on his back.
He shrugged.
:rimshot:

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”