Gaver Family Shooting in Cottonwood

raicha

Post by raicha » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:18 pm

The March incident in Cottonwood, Arizona caught my attention.

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

I wondered why so many young, able-bodied adults would agree to sleep in an SUV instead of seeking employment and why an entire family would take on armed police officers. What leads a 21 year old to lose his life over a dispute at a Wal-Mart restroom?

The history of the Gaver family is sketchy, but from their own social media output here is their story:

Patriarch Peter R. Gaver was born Peter Green on October 14, 1959 in 1960 to Alicia Mary Green and her then-husband James Elbert Green, Jr. Alicia and James had two older children, James (Elbert) and Deanne. By 1963, Alicia and James had split up and Alicia was living with her mother, Carmen, in Pasadena, California.

According to Peter, he lived in his grandmother’s home until 1968 when Alicia married Raymond Cheseldine Gaver, also of Pasadena. Raymond then adopted Alicia’s three children, giving them the Gaver name.

Peter attended Pasadena area schools, as did his future wife Ruth (Mazon), a 1980 graduate of La Canada High School. According to Peter he “submitted” his life to the LORD at the age of 19 (1979).

By 1985, Peter and Ruth were married and had their first child, Daniel. While still living Los Angeles County, they produced one son per year: Jeremiah, David and Nathaniel. Daughters Grace and Anna was were born in Kern County in 1989 and 1990. Son Jonathan was also born in Kern, in 1991.

I have been unable to discover how Peter and Ruth were able to support this brood, but they may have received help from “Chess” Gaver, who worked in real estate and holds two professional licenses. That all came to an end in 1993, when Ruth and her sons accused Chess of “satanic ritual abuse”.

The family's presence in Kern County in the early 90s may be a significant factor leading to their claims against Chess Gaver:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kern_Count ... buse_cases

Peter packed up the family and headed to Boise.

Again, a history of employment in Boise is elusive, but in 2004 the family managed to buy a home through Habitat for Humanity in Boise. By then, they had three more children: Enoch (killed in the Wal-Mart incident), David (now 18) Jonathan and a son, now 15, and a daughter born in 2004 (both of whom ended up in juvenile custody in Cottonwood). Nathan refers to a brother named "Dov", who may be the 15 year old in custody. The identity of an 11 year old girl taken into custody after the melee is not public.

Habitat requires an ability to repay a low-interest mortgage, so the family must have shown some income producing ability. Nonetheless, the home was returned to Habitat in 2010 and the family hit the road in an RV to embark on their “busking” career as street performers for the Lord.

Their religion is a weird mash-up of Jewish identity and Christian fundamentalism. They are followers of Charles Spurgeon, Leonard Ravenhill and tax-evader Kent Hovind, but their overriding belief system is based on paranoid conspiracy theories. Since 1993, they have claimed they are pursued by Satanists at the direction of Chess Gaver and that he has used hypnotism, “trauma based mind control”, “doubles” (counterfeit people) and other MKULTRA techniques to destroy the family.

Peter claims that he has been poisoned repeatedly over the years, causing two of his sons (Jeremiah and Nathanial) to continually post prayer requests on Facebook, YouTube, Google+ and other outlets.

Jeremiah and Nathanial also publicize Peter’s claim that Chess Gaver set up Sirhan Sirhan for the murder of RFK. This appears to be based on nothing more than the fact that the Gaver family lived about a mile away from Sirhan in Pasadena in 1968.

While busking in Boise, the family lived in an RV and headed out a couple at a time to play guitar on the street and panhandle. Despite the cold climate, Boise seemed to attract the homeless, prompting the City to enact an anti-solicitation ordinance in 2013. This made busking very difficult, although the law was struck down in 2014 by an appellate court.

Tensions remained high in Boise between merchants and the homeless. Worse for the Gavers, the RV they bought for $1,800 was falling apart. The family managed to put a few bucks together, abandoned the RV, bought an SUV and headed for the warmer climate of Arizona.

It’s more likely the family was headed to the big city lights of Phoenix, but after being booted from a state campground on March 6th, running out of gas and other misadventures, they wound up in the parking lot of the Cottonwood Wal-Mart. At this point, Peter and Ruth had convinced their children that they had been on the run from Satanists for 22 years, that they had been driven out of Boise by a cartel of business interests, and they had just been ejected from a campground after “slander” against them by park rangers.

The Cottonwood police chief, speaking after the Wal-Mart incident, ran the video of the fight and pointed out the family had trained in certain fighting techniques such as rolling on the ground to release taser strings and attacking the eyes and ears of their opponents. Son Nathan had previously written that he was entirely homeschooled; it is very likely the rest of the Gaver children were as well.

Cottonwood police press conference and narrated video:

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

To me it appears that Peter and Ruth spent the last 22 years creating their very own cult, composed entirely of their thoroughly brainwashed children. It’s not surprising that they would fight when questioned by law enforcement and that their children would even risk death.

Over the years, there were attempts by some of their children to break away and by Chess and Alicia Gaver to provide an alternative to life with Peter and Ruth. The oldest, Daniel, no longer associates with the family and his brothers claim he is “under mind control”. Jonathan ran away in March 2014, only to return when he found he could not live a life “under cover”. Both Peter and Jeremiah write of Anna’s 2014 release from drug rehab in California and her return to Boise, courtesy of Chess Gaver. Anna visited her family in Boise in August 2014 and told her brothers that all of the claims against Chess were false and lies about things that never happened. After the visit, Anna cut off contact.

Of course, she is merely under “mind control”.

I know this is long and most people won’t be interested. But I thought I would collect my thoughts here as this case continues to develop. I do have links for all of this, but have left them out for various reasons, including readability.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:31 pm

Thanks, Raicha. I haven't watched the video as I don't like to see people die. Is it safe to watch?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

raicha

Post by raicha » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:35 pm

You can see a lot of fist fighting and there is a whole lot of screaming. The fatal shooting is not especially explicit, although you will be able to see where it occurs, from a distance.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:42 pm

You can see a lot of fist fighting and there is a whole lot of screaming. The fatal shooting is not especially explicit, although you will be able to see where it occurs, from a distance.

Watched about 2 minutes of it. :shock: :o I am a delicate flower.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:08 pm

This story will be a book some day. I'm fascinated by the background, although I can't watch the video for more than 2 minutes. Thanks, raicha.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:11 am

I looked at a bunch of facebooks.

I'm so sorry for the hate flowing into that one facebook.

I'm not sure I understand the whole family dynamic at this point. But, regardless, the comments at that band facebook aren't warranted.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:37 am

As I understand it, the initial Walmart incident started when some of the family shoved a female Walmart employee to prevent her from entering the restroom.

This suggests a number of possibilities. The most benign of which is that they were using the restroom as a makeshift shower / bath.

The other possibility is that they were running a shoplifting scam and using the restroom to switch the goods from one kid to another and that the store was on to it.

raicha

Post by raicha » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:20 am

8 people, including 5 grown men, were living in a Chevy suburban. The restroom was an oasis, I'm sure.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:46 am

Well I did also see that they were thrown out of a camping facility due to the filth, though they deny that they did it. It was a matter of poop. :-?

I can't even figure out how many there are? I saw one of the family say she was one of 10 siblings.

It doesn't appear that she travels with them. Though she did post a photo of herself and her brother who was killed.

The mom and dad are always asking for prayers for their health. They seem to have a lot of health issues.

I saw one brother claim his two sisters were kidnapped, and a brother missing. Seems some try to leave, and maybe do.

And that whole Sirhan thing is so weird.

raicha

Post by raicha » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:50 am

Yes, 10 children.

Grace, Anna and Daniel were not there and do not associate with the family.

Health issues are usually blamed on being poisoned by satanists.

"Kidnap" and "mind control" are terms they use when siblings are in the custody of CPS or other family members.

raicha

Post by raicha » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:51 am

I haven't been able to confirm whether David Gaver is 28 or 18. Reports vary and I haven't tracked down a birth record yet.

Edit: Court records indicate he is 18, born in October 1996.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Yes, 10 children.

Grace, Anna and Daniel were not there and do not associate with the family.

Health issues are usually blamed on being poisoned by satanists.

"Kidnap" and "mind control" are terms they use when siblings are in the custody of CPS or other family members.

So, when do they appeal to the NLA for help?

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:11 pm

So they are just a grungier version of the phelps clan.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:56 pm

and much more violent.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:57 pm

Followers of Kent Hovind!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Small world. I've been to that Wal Mart (!) while I was staying in nearby Jerome as a fambly member was making a movie.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:37 pm

I stayed in Jerome on my way back from East a couple years ago. Certain Fogbowers might remember my visits then.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

raicha

Re: Gaver Family Shooting in Cottonwood

Post by raicha » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 am

A sad update on this story. Nathanial Gaver was found dead in a Boise homeless shelter yesterday morning. He was 31.

Four Members of Boise's Homeless Community Found Dead Last Week

I have been following this family saga for the last few years, after they became notorious for the Wal-Mart melee. In particular, Nathanial had drawn my attention. First, by his behavior and devastation in the Wal-Mart video and then by the photos of him in court appearances in Arizona. He never had a chance at a real life.

After his arrest in March of 2015, he remained in jail for six months, charged with aggravated assault, riot, and two other assault-related charges. Finally, in September of 2015, the court ordered a "Rule 11" evaluation to determine whether he was competent to stand trial. He was released from jail at that time.

If an Arizona defendant is found "incompetent but restorable", the court will order him into treatment to restore his competency. If the defendant is indigent, as Nathanial was, the state pays the cost of treatment.

Four times Nathanial was found incompetent but restorable. Four times Nathanial was ordered into a 90 day treatment program. Finally, in December of 2016, the court found that he was not restorable and dismissed the charges without prejudice.

Free of the Arizona court system, Nathanial somehow made his way back to the streets of Boise and the River of Life Shelter, where he died.

Nathanial is a terrible example of how intractable our homeless problem can be. Mentally ill, caught up in the legal system, but provided with at least some attempt to treat his illness, Nathanial just could not be saved.

RIP poor boy.

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”