Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:groupdance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The grandkids are coming for a few days next week before school gets its (late) start. I went out grocery shopping for their special foods (fussy vegetarians with different other food issues). I would say 85 percent of the people shopping wore masks. Giant Eagle/Market District has requested all customers wear masks, but they can't mandate them. Another sign people are paying attention, there were LOTS of personal shoppers with their big green carts preparing pick-up orders. I haven't seen that for months.

There is no surge here. I get a call and an email from the county health department every day with the numbers, and they are definitely going up. The local news has a lot every day about fights within school districts about masking in schools, so that so far is the major focus here, mostly so that the numbers don't start surging. But schools are starting up this week. Pittsburgh schools were supposed to start on Wednesday, but have been put off until next Friday, September 3. Part of the issue is getting enough bus and van drivers. The school district is now offering to pay parents who will drive their own kids to school each day, $10-20 a day, I think, depending on distance, to keep the number of kids down in the buses.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I posted a few weeks ago about a proposed family gathering for my Dad's 90th. My sane sister and I talked yesterday and decided to cancel it. The parents live in Jackson County OR which has been absolutely slammed by the Delta thing. My insane sis wasn't going to attend anyway cuz she thinks she can catch the "spike" from vaxxed folks. Sad but that is the right decision IMO. Might do a Zoom thing instead.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Doin’ the right thing, scireeve. It would be such a shame if your dad made it all the way to 90, only to be felled by the love of his kids.

My theme song for the rest of 2021:

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Zooms can be fun too, also, scirreeve. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

bill_g wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:10 am Answer- The latest variant can have initial symptom to death periods as short as this.
Question - What is nine days Alex?

Our next door neighbor informed us yesterday her ex died Friday nine days after getting a "massive headache". It's important because her live-in adult daughter visited with her father last weekend for dinner at his house. Now they are in quarantine as they await test results.
Update: Our neighbors have since gotten positive confirmations, and they've become our care project. We check on them daily over the phone. School teacher mom has the vax, but adult girl child does not. Mom is doing fine. Daughter is stuggling. She isn't bad enough to go to the doctor yet, and we're hoping it doesn't get worse. I'll get a grocery list from them in a bit before I head out.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

bill_g wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:21 am
bill_g wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:10 am Answer- The latest variant can have initial symptom to death periods as short as this.
Question - What is nine days Alex?

Our next door neighbor informed us yesterday her ex died Friday nine days after getting a "massive headache". It's important because her live-in adult daughter visited with her father last weekend for dinner at his house. Now they are in quarantine as they await test results.
Update: Our neighbors have since gotten positive confirmations, and they've become our care project. We check on them daily over the phone. School teacher mom has the vax, but adult girl child does not. Mom is doing fine. Daughter is stuggling. She isn't bad enough to go to the doctor yet, and we're hoping it doesn't get worse. I'll get a grocery list from them in a bit before I head out.
Early days, within ten, I think, is your window for antibodies.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:21 pm
Early days, within ten, I think, is your window for antibodies.
Mom made it through her quarantine, and though daughter is recovering, she still has a nagging cough. Plus, she's not eating very much. The grocery list was simple: avacados and sourdough bread.

OTOH, one of our Sunday Dinner guests has tested positive after attending a funeral last weekend with over a hundred family members. Ugh.

Our Care Project lives on ... with masks and gloves.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

We had to cancel our music jamboree we were going to have over Labor Day weekend. We were requiring everyone to be vaxxed and to wear masks indoors, but with the Delta variant I just couldn’t justify doing it. I would be mortified if someone got sick. I’m really sad about it, but I’m getting great support from my music peeps, so that’s good.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I see more and more cancellations these days. The Labor Day Parade was cancelled for the second year. For some reason, Picklesburgh went through as planned last weekend. It is an outdoor event, but there were too many people there for me. I'll be curious to see if our numbers surge this coming weekend as a result.

Personally, we cancelled attending my husband's high school reunion next month, an indoor event with a lot of older people. It didn't seem smart. The friend who is on the planning committee is really looking forward to it. I would feel guilty if I were on the planning committee if there were cases that came from it.

When I can grit my teeth to spend the time on the phone, I am calling to cancel a trip to Europe next month. I think I always knew it was chancy, had more hope for the one to Iceland I just cancelled. In the grand scope of things, these are minor problems. We have pretty much decided international travel is out until at least 2023.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

One of Mrs. V's 2nd cousin and her husband have breakthrough cases of Covid. They think they were exposed at the local farmers market.

One of Mrs. V's 1st cousin's (on her father's side) has died. He had many medical problems and was 80. Covid may have been the last straw. We may never know for sure.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Besides fostering kittens, I provide medical support for an animal rescue that is a 45 minute to 1 hour drive up the mountains. Foster parents bring kittens and an occasional adult cat or dog, for vaccines, subcutaneous fluids and other treatments. I also am authorized to compound and dispense medications.

I sent out a notice that all persons entering my home must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination (NOT the forge-able paper card*) and wear a mask covering their mouth and nose. Since I need their help to hold the animals for some procedures, our faces are maybe a foot apart...

Medications can be left on the doorknob for contact-less pickup.

Most of the fosters I work with are Trumpers and I have had trouble getting some of them to wear a mask properly. One of them had a maskless function at her home. The whole family got Covid. The FIL was hospitalized in ICU and the foster herself has long-Covid. :brickwallsmall:

We'll see how many would prefer the long drive and long waits at the Rescue facility over the 10 minute drive and no waiting here.

*I gave them the link to proof they can download from the state: https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Wow, Sequoia32. That's awesome. :clap:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:56 am Wow, Sequoia32. That's awesome. :clap:
Hey Boss, can you move emojis? Can you put :yeahthat:
On the first page?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I can't do that one because it would take up too much real estate. :blackeye:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:36 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:56 am Wow, Sequoia32. That's awesome. :clap:
Hey Boss, can you move emojis? Can you put :yeahthat:
On the first page?
for often used emojies memorize their code name and use between colons, can be faster than looking them up in the visual list,

like : yeahthat : without the white space
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Ah.
Merci. :lovestruck:
:yeahthat:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Got the first Moderna shot, only side effect was a mild headache for a couple of hours. Got the 2nd on Wednesday and considered going to the ER yesterday, felt horrible in the AM. Held off and the bad symptoms abated by around 1700.

At least it's over with.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

No one in my circle of family, friends, and acquaintances has had COVID. So my personal relation with COVID mostly takes place in my head. There, it stresses me out big time--more the politics/insanity than health concerns.

Being, like most here, a fan of words and language, I also spend a lot of time checking out the ton of new words that have been birthed. Always looking for terms that express the crazy and the truth. Preferable at once.

Here are three I ran across today:

Florida's new name: DeSantistan

PoxNews

MAGA-cide

Hope this brings you a dash of glee amidst the maelstrom.

Excelsior
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:04 am No one in my circle of family, friends, and acquaintances has had COVID. So my personal relation with COVID mostly takes place in my head. There, it stresses me out big time--more the politics/insanity than health concerns.
I can't make that claim. Neighbors, friends, family, and coworkers have all had it. No one we know has died thankfully.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bill_g wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:10 am
p0rtia wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:04 am No one in my circle of family, friends, and acquaintances has had COVID. So my personal relation with COVID mostly takes place in my head. There, it stresses me out big time--more the politics/insanity than health concerns.
I can't make that claim. Neighbors, friends, family, and coworkers have all had it. No one we know has died thankfully.
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've had friends almost from the beginning who have had it, no family. But a year and a half later it hit one of my best friends, vaxxed, and she's doing okay, but has been diagnosed with Covid tachycardia. She's hoping it's not going to last too long, but the doctor said it will be slow. She can barely walk across a room without her heart racing and the effort exhausting her.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I had my first face-to-face encounter today with an anti-vaxer. I'm doing my usual annual Walk for Alzheimer's fundraising. This is the 2nd year that I'm posting stuff on craigslist, then meeting up with folks in various parking lots to show them the items they like. I do it during my lunch breaks, evenings, and weekends. Slow going this year, but I'll hit $1k soon. :thumbsup: Our team used to have 2 big rummage sales, but not any more cuz covid.

Today a woman I know asked to see some items & we met up. We've always had cordial chats, although not at the level of friendship. Then she veered into vaccines killing people. Claims she knows people who died after the vax. Claims the FDA didn't approve the Pfizer vax, just extended temporary emergency use. The vaccines are useless (other than killing people). The swab tests are phony - you can't be infectious without symptoms, and you can get cancer from them. CDC is lying to us. Etc. Initially, I thought she just had some misinformation, but then it became a flood of nuttiness. She was worried that I believed the dangerous lies of government/pharmaceutical companies. :eek: I finally said that I've always enjoyed speaking with her. I hope that continues, but we'll have to avoid discussing covid.

Also today, I received a nastygram from a naturopath who claims nasal testing can cause cancer. :roll:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
By that time, I was so frazzled and depressed, I couldn't finish my work. I was thinking that we will go through at least another year of covid & more variants because of these people and all the spreaders of misinformation.

For Fogbow peeps who have family members, neighbors and friends like that, I don't know how you do it. :bighug:

I'm getting up early to finish reports before the office reopens. :yawn:

Rant over.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I'm sorry Lani. It sounds like you handled it about as well as you possibly could. :bighug:

Personally, I've been listening to the song "Heaven" by Talking Heads a lot these days. I think it basically sums up how I feel about everything:
Heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”