Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
p0rtia

Re: Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

Post by p0rtia »

LM K wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:12 pm
Lani wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:55 am I'm so pissed off. Tourism is surging as are the covid cases. A local news channel interviewed people in Waikiki who weren't masking. They said it was safe and/or their states don't require masking outdoors. This isn't going to end well.

My son & I hoped to hug after a year....

ETA people come here because our COVID cases are so low. And then they refuse the simple things we do to keep it that it that way.
Those folks should go back to their state then.
They should be added to the list of Cretans and malign fools and be shunned from human society till the day they die.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:23 pm I thought I was going to see a scene when a very elderly woman walked into a restaurant maskless. One of the servers immediately said, "Where's your mask?" I wasn't sure what she was going to do. She looked confused for a moment, fished in her pocket, and found it. I don't think she was an anti-masker, but probably had taken it off outdoors where no one was around and forgotten.
I walked into the Walmart on April 1 for my second shot, got as far as the short line for checking in, went “Oops, sorry!”, and promptly dashed back to my car for my mask. :oopsy: Yeah, even with those of us always wearing a mask, we sometimes forget.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:58 pm Yeah, even with those of us always wearing a mask, we sometimes forget.
I've done that. Thinking about other things, just waltz into a store and suddenly realized, "Where's my mask?" It's in my pocket. And I carry a spare in the car in case I leave the house without it.

I'm pretty rigorous about wearing a mask, but once or twice I've had a senior moment. :doh:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I have about 8 or 9 cloth masks, and I always put one in my bag before I leave the house. I haven't ever forgotten, but in case I do, I keep disposable ones in the console in the car all the time.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I keep a masked lanyard next to my purse in case I go somewhere. It's one step short of pinning a mask to my shirt.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

In my area, people are excellent about wearing masks. I was at the grocery store's customer service last week, and in come 2 people without masks. 😬

They came to customer service because they forgot their masks and were asking if the store had them for customers in need. 💜 The store happily gave them masks.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I've forgotten my mask from time to time as well.
Hic sunt dracones
Lani

Post by Lani »

As expected, my island will drop to Tier 3 starting tomorrow. Not too bad - gatherings limited to 5 indoor/25 outdoor. Can still be outside without a mask if social distancing. :blissy: Thankfully, the kids' outdoor sport teams can continue.

Out of state visitors are still required to have a negative test result uploaded to Safe Travels before arrival. Some still become symptomatic after arrival.... Hawaii residents who've received both covid shots in state can travel inter-island. Must carry their vaccination card. Don't know if it's before boarding or upon landing, but the cards will be checked against the DOH database. (Hopefully, it's a good database. :pray: )

Unfortunately, 24% to 33% of new cases are children under 16. Vaccination sites have been increased and expanded to 7 days a week and some evenings.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I walked into the local convenience store a few weeks ago - clerk who I know said where is your fucking mask. Big oops cuz I totally spaced it - went back to car, put it on and all was good. Senior moment I suppose.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

scirreeve wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:26 am I walked into the local convenience store a few weeks ago - clerk who I know said where is your fucking mask. Big oops cuz I totally spaced it - went back to car, put it on and all was good. Senior moment I suppose.
People have been amazing in my town. Even though a high percentage of the eligible population has been vaccinated, when walking down the street and someone approaches within 15 feet, it’s automatically mask on time for everybody. :thumbsup:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

This is why I keep two spare masks in my car. I only use one if I forget to bring my primary.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

We've gone from a mask shortage to a glut. We have so many masks, it's one of the common pocket pulls on laundry day.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think masks, on some basis, are here to stay. I have noticed that I really haven't had a cold since starting to wear a mask last April. Flu cases were down considerably. My daughter has found it easier to deal with her spring allergies if she's wearing a mask. I'm used to seeing them a lot in airports, so I don't think I'd have a problem wearing them for travel, although the idea of sitting on a plane in one for nine hours doesn't do much for me.

I have a wide assortment of them, loosely to match whatever I'm wearing, but nowhere near Nancy Pelosi level. But I'm fine with the standard blue medical mask if necessary.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

My state has become sloppy. Cases are rising. Oahu should have dropped from Tier 3 to Tier 2 weeks ago due to the number of new cases and positivity rates. Instead, the governor has approved Oahu (Honolulu County) to remain at Tier 3 for 4 more weeks. :mad:

The reason for waiting is the claim that the state is just about a month away from hitting 70% of people over age 16 vaccinated and seven weeks away from hitting 80-85%. But I looked at the DOH figures as of 5/1, and Oahu has only 37% of the adult population with completed vaccination. Only 47% have had at least one shot. :confuzzled:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Lani wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 am My state has become sloppy. Cases are rising. Oahu should have dropped from Tier 3 to Tier 2 weeks ago due to the number of new cases and positivity rates. Instead, the governor has approved Oahu (Honolulu County) to remain at Tier 3 for 4 more weeks. :mad:
King County (Washington) likewise should have dropped from Stage 3 to Stage 2 earlier this week based on the pre-established metrics, but the governor allowed an extension. I think that schools have been a significant driver of the latest wave. As schools were not going to be further restricted even if King County stepped back a stage, I think the governor did not want to punish the long suffering hospitality industry (restaurants, bars, etc.) by contracting capacity if the vaccination effort was likely to get us out of the woods in a few weeks anyway.
Our vaccination numbers look very good, but our cases have only barely started to decline.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

My entire fambly is now vaccinated, and so I am going to return to the gym today for a workout class I call Dancing With Barbells (real name: Les Mills' BodyPump). I have managed to do the other class I like, Musical Asskicking, four times a week on my home Tee Vee (Roku), but I don't own a set of barbells so I've just stuck with the martial arts class (real name: Les Mills' BodyCombat).

I haven't done Dancing With Barbells for well over a year. I will wear a mask, of course, and I expect they will have social distancing and sanitary wipes for the barbells. Then I have to decide whether to use their shower. They have more water pressure and a vastly better shower than I have at home, but the gym is still a petri dish of germs, and I have really enjoyed not being sick at all for more than a year. So I'll think about it.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I zoom weekly (when my body decides I can) with my punmeister personal trainer. His specialty is working with aging populations who have assorted maladies. His puns can be fatal.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 am My entire fambly is now vaccinated, and so I am going to return to the gym today for a workout class I call Dancing With Barbells (real name: Les Mills' BodyPump). I have managed to do the other class I like, Musical Asskicking, four times a week on my home Tee Vee (Roku), but I don't own a set of barbells so I've just stuck with the martial arts class (real name: Les Mills' BodyCombat).

I haven't done Dancing With Barbells for well over a year. I will wear a mask, of course, and I expect they will have social distancing and sanitary wipes for the barbells. Then I have to decide whether to use their shower. They have more water pressure and a vastly better shower than I have at home, but the gym is still a petri dish of germs, and I have really enjoyed not being sick at all for more than a year. So I'll think about it.
Yeah, but back when the world stopped turning and we were all leaving our groceries in the garage for days and hoarding bleach wipes and toilet paper, weren't they telling us to shower every time we might have been exposed? Seems to me like the shower might be the safest place in the whole joint.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:brickwallsmall:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:58 am Seems to me like the shower might be the safest place in the whole joint.
It might. I will try it next time. That location always had lockers that, to use them, you had to ask for a key at the front desk. So I get there and ask for a large locker, and they replaced all the lockers with "bring your own lock" type. I didn't bring a lock. And I have $85 in my wallet. So I was unwilling to take a shower. :blackeye:

OMG, I forgotted how strenuous Dancing With Barbells is. They done killed me dead. Today, my legs hurt. My arms hurt. My back is OK, though.

I gotta go more often. I used to do that 3x a week AND Musical Asskicking. Now I do Musical Asskicking 4x a week, but I don't have barbells, and it turns out I'm not in the shape I thought I was.

But tomorrow I'm taking the whole fambly to Maryland to see my dad. That will give me a little time to heal. Yowza!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Here in Floriduh, I saw the stores are removing their Masks Required signs, except for Publix. And most of the people in there, 55-60% were wearing them, although some were probably employees.

I also went into Dollar Tree and Lowes (no mask signs) and only saw few masks, although more, percentage-wise, at Lowes. Lowes employees were masked, at Dollar Tree they were not. I wore one, natch. Nobody gave me any trouble. Good for them because, after that idiot coughed on me a few weeks ago, I'm ready.

I am eating inside my favorite taco spot as long as it's not crowded. They still have about 50% tables. I wear my mask to order my food, then sit maskless facing the wall after wiping down the table and my hands. I know they say it's unlikely you'll catch covid through contact but think of all the other germs I'm avoiding. I see masks being a permanent part of my life, although possibly not to the extent I'm practicing now. I will be wearing them on the plane this September. Luckily, I don't have any breathing issues so it's not a problem for me, as long as I'm not too hot. I have to admit, shopping in the garden section of Lowes in the 90+ heat was unpleasant. I may start wearing it only when I'm inside the store.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

We are still wearing masks here unless we are outdoors and socially distancing. After an alarming increase in cases, we're now pretty much at 0-1 cases daily again.

DOE is preparing buses and vans to go to intermediate and high schools across the state to provide vaccination.

On my island, just below 60% are fully vaccinated and a bit over for one shot. Definitely slowing for the remainders/anti-vaxers. And that's the best rates in Hawaii, sadly. If you only count the population over 18yo, we're looking good.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 am ... tomorrow I'm taking the whole fambly to Maryland to see my dad.
Umm, nope .Gasoline shortage. My tank is full, we have plenty of gas to go up there and partway home.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I need a new garden wagon so, today, we went up to the new Tractor Supply store. We wore our masks because we assumed it would be a trumpy kind of place. There were probably less than 10 people in the store and they all had masks on, including the clerk, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”