Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

Post by AndyinPA »

I just had an appointment this afternoon with my hair stylist. She just got her first vaccination on Saturday, but she really did not want to do it. She said everyone just wore her down about it. Personally, I hope a lot more people get worn down.

I was in a coffee shop yesterday. It was a little busy, so I didn't pay much attention to the owner, who was the only one working at the time. I didn't notice immediately, but he was not masked. I stayed as I had been waiting for so long, but I won't be going back.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Thanks, Lani. I am, and will still wear a mask inside and while traveling, shopping, etc.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

So immediately after reading and posting on here about masks, I see this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... stad-ican/
The Americans lodging complaints against coronavirus vaccine mandates are a diverse lot — a sheriff’s deputy in North Carolina, nursing home employees in Wisconsin and students at the largest university in New Jersey.

But their resistance is woven together by a common thread: the involvement of a law firm closely tied to the anti-vaccine movement.

Attorneys from Siri & Glimstad — a New York firm that has done millions of dollars of legal work for one of the nation’s foremost anti-vaccination groups — are co-counsel in a case against the Durham County Sheriff’s Office. They’ve sent warning letters to officials in Rock County, Wis., as well as to the president of Rutgers University and other schools.

The legal salvos show that a groundswell against compulsory immunization is being coordinated, at least in part, from a law office on Park Avenue in midtown Manhattan. And they offer a window into a wide-ranging and well-resourced effort to contest vaccine requirements in workplaces and other settings critical to the country’s reopening — a dispute with sweeping implications for public health, state authority and individual rights.
:brickwallsmall: :crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

This is why they say 99% of the lawyers make all the rest look bad. :blackeye:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:49 am This is why they say 99% of the lawyers make all the rest look bad. :blackeye:
You should of chosen a different field. :shrug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I was out today to Costco. Wearing a mask seems to be optional in it at this point. I'd say that most people were still wearing masks, but a fair number of customers and employees were not. I was a little surprised, but I don't think it really feels unsafe here. The state is above 70 percent vaccinated, and this county is above that. I kept my mask on, but it didn't bother me too much that there were a few people who weren't. It's the first time I've felt that way. I also went to Target where everyone was wearing masks. That felt fine, too.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Anyone else getting the impression, as they shop or eat out, that more women are masking than men?
Lani

Post by Lani »

With vaccinations slowing here, the state is going all out. Hawai‘i has created a program for residents who got vaccinated. Show the vaccination card at participating restaurants and stores, receive a discount and win prizes from different businesses around the state.

When we reach 60% statewide, residents who travel to the mainland and returned back to Hawai‘i who have received one or both shots of their vaccination will bypass quarantine without a pre-travel test.

When all counties together reach a fully vaccinated rate of 70%, all restrictions on travel will be lifted and the Safe Travels program will end.

Meanwhile, vaccination vans are showing up at beaches, community centers, farmer's markets, shopping malls, and bars. At the bars, you can get a free drink and/or time on the karaoke. Elsewhere, donuts and spam. Also, the vans are going to people's homes to make it super easy.

With 20%+ of the population stating no shots for them, it's going to take awhile to reach 70%. Currently, there are large outbreaks in 2 prisons. At least half of the staff and the inmate population refused vaccination. :mad:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Cool. I am glad I live in the PNW. I'm not in WA but adjacent.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (92.5 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Lani

Post by Lani »

Hawaii vaccination is pretty much stuck at 60%. Lots of outreach, lots of prizes for getting the shot. I've been working on reaching minority communities.

If the US doesn't get it done, the variants will take over.

Where I live, we have an increasing number of people who are infected. Oh, surprise! Mostly travel related! 6 today, 5 of whom are under 18. That's the pattern I see. Fewer seniors, more kids. And they can become long Covid patients. (I think that's current name for it.)
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Anything that gets more Vaccinations into peoples arms is cool with me.
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Everyone in CA who is vaccinated is eligible for big cash prize incentives and is automatically entered. Tomorrow is the first drawing for the big one.
More $50k winners will be picked on 6/11. 💥

$1.5 MILLION winners will be picked on 6/15 as CA fully reopens. 💥

Get vaccinated now to be be in the drawing for cash prizes! http://myturn.ca.gov
We open fully tomorrow. Tomorrow they’ll draw the nAmes of 10 people who will each win $1.5 mil. AND Gov Newsomecwill announce yet another give away -a ‘dream vacation’.

Incentives, we gots ‘em. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Now that's an incentive. Not vaccinated? Then no cellphone for you!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

That is more of a stick than carrot.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

First find all that vaccine before threatening millions. Such a threat could be effective for reaching the last 10%. Although I don't believe that the Pakistani government has control over the mobile networks and the bazillions of devices using it. :doh:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I foresee more people getting vaxxed as they bump into restrictions for sporting events, concerts, etc. Not getting vaxxed sounds great until you can't see yer local sportsball team play or go to your favorite band's concert, then it's just a hindrance. One thing I would like to see is more stringent checking of vax credentials on entry though, around these parts it's too easy to fake. They are supposed to scan the QR in the app here, and then check your ID against it, but all they seem to be doing to glancing at the app and waving people in. It would be trivial to fake a screen shot of your buddy's QR and get in unvaxxed. I suppose the first time they end up with a superspreader event on their hands, they'll take it more seriously. Unless a superspreader event doesn't happen, at which point I guess it was OK.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Stats showing that the majority of people ending up in the hospital with COVID are unvaccinated.

Assuming that continues, and that the ratio of vaccinated to unvaccinated deaths/hospitalizations is clear, this should also cause a bump in people willing to be vaccinated.

Of course, that would be logical.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Oh no. Sending happy thoughts, Lani. :bighug:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Well wishes to you and your son.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That's awful! Keep us posted.
:bighug:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug:
Lani

Post by Lani »

No results yet. :mad: But his fever crashed, so that's good. Still very, very weak. When his GF is working, a friend comes by to sit with him, bring him food and tea, etc.

While I still believe that he is one of the last people on earth who would get covid, it's pissing me off that the results are taking so long. His partner is going to work every day and a friend is helping him. So if he has the virus, the trackers are going to have contact a lot of people at this rate.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The one case that supports the statistics that the vaccines do not give 100% protection against the critter.

But one ought to see the sunny side, "they" say that vaccinated patients can expect a mild progress of the illness.
slq

Post by slq »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:51 pm We are flying again in August. Our first trip will be to Iceland, and I guess we're going to have to wear masks. We usually fly from Pittsburgh to Boston, not too bad, but it's about 4 1/2-5 hours to Reykjavík from Boston. My husband has a really tough time wearing masks for any length of time. I'm okay with it, but I get dehydrated.

Our next flight will be after September 13, but it will be to Barcelona, so I hope that changes. That's a considerably longer flight.
You may already know this, but there are newer masks with a design that gives you more space around your nose and mouth. I flew to Chicago recently (3+ hour flight). On the way there, I wore my regular close-to-the-nose-and-mouth mask, and it was tolerable but not pleasant. While in Chicago, I was given the other type of mask and wore it for the flight home. Worlds better!

https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Efficienc ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”