COVID-19 and the States

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: COVID-19 and the States

Post by AndyinPA »

I have no sympathy for antivaxxers, antimaskers, etc., who end up in ERs and on ventilators. I guess the medical field doesn't work that way, but vaxxed people should be prioritized for all of that.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

Four new clusters have been identified on Kauai. Today we were warned that the number of cases is going to continue to rise - and faster. We had two Covid fatalities in the previous 16 months. So far in August, we've lost four people. We were also warned that there will be another lockdown if everybody doesn't straighten up and follow the rules. And get vaxed!

We have some nutters who call their group "For Our Rights." They yell a lot & use bullhorns as well. Anti-vax. Anti-testing - tests deposit graphene oxide in your body!!!!! :roll: Now they are a Covid cluster.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:mad:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Lani wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:20 am Now they are a Covid cluster.
And darn proud of it, I reckon. :whistle:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Mrs agrees with idea that unvaxed Covid patients should give up their ICU beds if necessary. She offered the solution that the cremetorium beds have very high turnover.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Anti-vaccine crowd should change their motto from "liberty or dearh" to "liberty and death"
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
tek

Post by tek »

cross-posting
Officials decided against evacuating New Orleans hospitals. There’s little room for patients elsewhere, with hospitals from Texas to Florida overwhelmed by COVID patients
Goddamn freedom assholes f'd around, and innocent people are gonna find out. :smokeears:

Totally preventable.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Doctor talks about the possible effects of Hurricane Ita Ida on a system already at capacity.

Last edited by Foggy on Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: speling/grammer
Hic sunt dracones
Lani

Post by Lani »

Hawaii is now 17th in the nation for average seven-day daily new infections. Today's DOH's report shows 938 new cases. Friday's count was 1,035. The governor is still reluctant to impose more restrictions, while the mayors are meeting to see what they can do on their own.

How can anyone look at this graph and not see that we are in a disaster? BTW, Kaiser Permanente announced Friday that it will be postponing non-urgent surgeries and procedures at the Maui & Oahu hospitals. All hospitals are struggling.
Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 14-35-56 Hawaii sees 5 new coronavirus-related deaths, 938 additional infections.png
Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 14-35-56 Hawaii sees 5 new coronavirus-related deaths, 938 additional infections.png (58.33 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Statistically, things don't look all that bad in Indy at the moment. Marion county, which is largely Indy and its burbs, is at 59 out of 100k people infected. That's not great but is lower than a lot of areas. I'm just south in Johnson county and we're already up to 83 out of 100k. However, the hospitals in the area are diverting patients. When I go into a store only 10 or 20 percent of the people are wearing masks. It's going to get worse before it gets better. This is what the situation looked like yesterday afternoon.

qkl7bbosipk71.jpg
qkl7bbosipk71.jpg (62.14 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

Not good in Hawaii. The Big Island hospitals are over capacity. There is no where to divert patients. All Islands are stressed. Governor still doing nothing. Island mayors are considering at least a short period of stay at home. The Honolulu mayor isn't waiting on the state any more and is ordering new rules.
Patrons of Honolulu restaurants, gyms, movie theaters and other businesses soon will have to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination or a recent negative virus test to gain admission, Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi announced Monday.

The new “Safe Access Oahu” program, which goes into effect on Sept. 13, marks the mayor’s most aggressive policy step to stem an escalation in coronavirus cases caused largely by the highly contagious delta variant.
https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/08/no-va ... ext-month/

The Gov will probably fight the orders because he can. The Lt. Gov. wanted at least a 3-4 day shut down over Labor Day weekend since it's likely to create superspreader events, but the Gov declined. :mad:
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

spiduh wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:27 pm Unvaxxed Covid patients (without valid medical exemption + anything else that makes sense) should be LAST priority, they should lose their beds to anyone coming in for any reason that needs an ICU bed. I mean it. These people have made their choices, they should be forced to live (and die) with them. Their body, their choice, now they have to face the consequences of their actions. Not force everyone else to deal with them.
Yep! My triage order (level 3 is first come first serve):
1) Children 18 and under

2) Vaccinated healthcare providers

3) Fully vaccinated or
* Those who had a severe reaction to their first jab and thus cannot receive their 2nd jab
* Those with valid medical exemptions

4) Those whom are partially vaccinated

5) Those whom are unvaccinated

Children under 12 can't be vaccinated and most American children 12-18 can't be vaccinated without parental permission (in almost all states).

A colleague told me yesterday that the number of amputations in my area has skyrocketed because doctors can't provide timely care to those who've been in accidents.

Frankly, I'm afraid to drive. There is no timely care for those in accidents.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K

Post by LM K »

Oregon is fucked.

More than 800 National Guard troops have been deployed to assist 20 hospitals.

2 counties have requested refrigerated trucks.

Crisis teams are coming to Oregon in a few days. These teams will bring over 500 healthcare providers to Oregon.

Patients are now being sent to San Francisco and Utah.

It's predicted that after Labor Day, Oregon will be short of 400-500 staffed hospital beds.

Operation rooms and post-surgical units have been converted to ICUs. Young adults aged 18-25 are being sent to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. Doernbecher is Oregon's primary children's hospital, and is the only children's trauma hospital in Oregon.

Our Governor has mandated masks inside AND outside. Outside masking is required if social distancing isn't possible. The Governor has asked all unvaccinated people to stay home.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

LM K wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:43 pm Oregon is fucked.

More than 800 National Guard troops have been deployed to assist 20 hospitals.

2 counties have requested refrigerated trucks.

Crisis teams are coming to Oregon in a few days. These teams will bring over 500 healthcare providers to Oregon.

Patients are now being sent to San Francisco and Utah.

It's predicted that after Labor Day, Oregon will be short of 400-500 staffed hospital beds.

Operation rooms and post-surgical units have been converted to ICUs. Young adults aged 18-25 are being sent to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. Doernbecher is Oregon's primary children's hospital, and is the only children's trauma hospital in Oregon.

Our Governor has mandated masks inside AND outside. Outside masking is required if social distancing isn't possible. The Governor has asked all unvaccinated people to stay home.
Just checked the amazing rise in positivity rates/cases in Oregon. What the hell? You're listed as 58% fully vaxxed. I'm assuming it's mostly unvaxxed? Even so, this is awful.
LM K

Post by LM K »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:07 pm :snippity:

Just checked the amazing rise in positivity rates/cases in Oregon. What the hell? You're listed as 58% fully vaxxed. I'm assuming it's mostly unvaxxed? Even so, this is awful.
We handled waves 1-3 better than almost every other state. Our Governor shut the state down and kept us shut down longer than most states. But Delta is killing us.

Vaccination rates are excellent in most urban areas. But rural areas have very low vaccination rates. Douglas county is a national hot spot. Douglas county has a vax rate of 45%. Delta has spread out from Douglas county.

17/36 counties are below 50% vaxed.

Of the top 5 most populated counties, all have vax rates above 60% or more. 60% of Oregonians live in those counties.

This is where stats get misleading. Multnomah county has a vax rate of 68%. But almost half of Oregon counties have less than 50% vaxed.

The the National Guard has been deployed to 20 hospitals. Of those 800 troops, the vast majority has been sent to low vax counties.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

LM K wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:23 pm

We handled waves 1-3 better than almost every other state. Our Governor shut the state down and kept us shut down longer than most states. But Delta is killing us.

Vaccination rates are excellent in most urban areas. But rural areas have very low vaccination rates. Douglas county is a national hot spot. Douglas county has a vax rate of 45%. Delta has spread out from Douglas county.

Of the top 5 most populated counties, all have vax rates above 60% or more. 60% of Oregonians live in those counties.

This is where stats get misleading. Multnomah county has a vax rate of 68%. But almost half of Oregon counties have less than 50% vaxed.

The the National Guard has been deployed to 20 hospitals. Of those 800 troops, the vast majority has been sent to low vax counties.
Thank you for the breakdown. I had a sneaking suspicion that it would be the rural areas that were the problem--counter-intuitive though that may be. I'm in NY, and while cases have risen, they are relatively modest (around 3.5 percent positivity for the last couple of weeks). NY City has not had a big surge--perhaps because stringent measures are taken (the horror as last spring is still fresh). You'd think the open air of the countryside would prevent high infections numbers, but man, Delta is incredible. If the country were not 75 percent with at least one vaccine, we'd be completely shut down now, it would be so bad. And the hospitals...god, I can't even think.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

LM K wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:23 pm

I second what you said - today's report says that 1% of Douglas County residents have tested positive in the last week - I'm sure the infection rate is higher than that. I will not be going to Douglas County anytime soon.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:51 pm
With the extended Bundy family and their penchant for reunions, why haven’t any Bundys gotten sick? I wouldn’t mind Ammon missing out on Idaho’s last bed.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:21 pm I have no sympathy for antivaxxers, antimaskers, etc., who end up in ERs and on ventilators. I guess the medical field doesn't work that way, but vaxxed people should be prioritized for all of that.
I'm with you. Show up now without being vaccinated and having C19 is now a self-inflicted. They asked for it and should be at the back of any treatment line.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Hawaii has now ordered refrigerated morgue trucks.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:18 am Hawaii has now ordered refrigerated morgue trucks.
I'm so sorry.
pdt97801

Post by pdt97801 »

I see Douglas county here in Oregon with a low vacination rate, had 30% of the states death this weekend. Go figure.
LM K

Post by LM K »

The National Guard arrives at Riverbend Hospital in Springfield OR. Our send hospital, McKenzie- Willamette, also received National Guard troops.

Riverbend hospital is the major hospital for all of southern OR.
"We are actually 26% over our typical ICU bed capacity here in Lane County," Davis said.
https://www.registerguard.com/story/new ... 686502001/

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”