Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COVID-19 and the States

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Suranis

COVID-19 and the States

Post by Suranis »

https://academictimes.com/states-with-g ... -outcomes/
States with GOP governors had worse COVID-19 outcomes

The study found that, while Democratic-led states had higher per capita rates of COVID-19 cases, positivity tests and deaths early in the pandemic, these trends started to reverse in late spring.

For example, on April 15 — about a month into the pandemic — Democratic-led New York reported a total of 1,105 COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents, while Republican-led Florida reported a total of 95 cases per 100,000. Likewise, Democratic-led California reported 62 cases per 100,000, while Republican-led Texas reported 52 cases per 100,000.

The study posits that these early trends could be explained by the fact that states led by Democratic governors were home to initial ports of entry for the virus in early 2020. Once May arrived, however, these trends started to reverse.

On May 30, Republican-led states began to have higher test positivity rates, which Neelon said could occur, "if either the number of positive tests is large or if very few tests are performed." Then, on June 3, COVID-19 incidence rates were higher among Republican-led states.
Much more and links to the studies at the article.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: COVID-19 and the States

Post by Volkonski »

Mona Hanna-Attisha
@MonaHannaA
MI, shut down.

From a nurse friend just now:

“I’m exhausted
It’s crazy here
I’m overwhelmed
125 people in ER
No room so they are in tents”
Quote Tweet
Eric Topol
@EricTopol
· 2h
Michigan's covid case ascent is back on, with a record number of hospitalizations and kids in the hospital. This is a bad precedent for how to manage a major surge when we now have 2-dimensions of defense.
No other states in this range.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

I think we should start using this thread.

Oregon's Gov, Kate Brown has called in the National Guard.
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown on Friday ordered 500 National Guard members to help frontline workers in their battle against the expanding Covid-19 Delta variant.

Brown said the deployment would begin Aug. 20, when National Guard members will be sent to more than 20 hospitals statewide to help provide logistical support, materials handling, equipment deliveries, and Covid-19 testing.

Up to 1,500 National Guard members could ultimately be deployed, she said.

"The harsh, and frustrating reality is that the Delta variant has changed everything," Brown said in a statement. "Delta is highly contagious, and we must take action now."
:snippity:

Brown urged state residents to get vaccinated.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Jesus.

Thanks for reopening the thread. I think we're gonna need it.

:bighug:
LM K

Post by LM K »

Gov Brown has asked FEMA for emergency assistance.

Gov Brown has been amazing during the pandemic. Until delta, we handled covid better than most other states. With delta she's being very proactive. But delta ....
Oregon will deploy at least 500 National Guard troopsto help its hospitals deal with a flood of coronavirus patients, as the state faces the largest wave of infections it has seen during the pandemic, the state’s governor said on Friday.

The governor, Kate Brown, said that hospitals were at risk of becoming overwhelmed, with 733 Oregonians hospitalized with severe cases of Covid-19, including 185 in intensive care.

The surge comes despite Oregon’s relatively high rate of vaccination
, a fact that Ms. Brown noted in a videotaped address.

Ms. Brown said that up to 1,500 National Guards members could be deployed to help at hospitals around the state, and that she had reached out to the Federal Emergency Management Agency for further support and funding.

The Delta variant has driven infections and hospitalizations to all-time highs in some Southern states, so much so that “pandemic of the unvaccinated” has become Biden administration shorthand for the latest wave. But it has also begun to hammer states with relatively high rates of vaccination, like Oregon and Hawaii.

Oregon narrowly surpassed its highest previous average, reaching a seven-day average of 1,540 cases on Thursday, according to a New York Times database. Over the past two weeks hospitalizations have risen nearly 130 percent in Oregon and 140 percent in Hawaii.

Earlier this week Ms. Brown announced an statewide indoor mask mandate
, which took effect on Friday. Under the new rules, everyone older than five needs to wear a mask in most indoor settings; children older than two will need to wear them on public transportation.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Almost 800 new cases today.

Our worst fear come true
“Our cases are increasing, hospitals are filling up and this has no end in sight,” explained emergency physician Dr. Darragh O’Carroll.

“A lot of the models show we’ll be at 600 COVID patients [in hospital] in the next two to three weeks, and that is not a sustainable number for our healthcare system,” he added. “We’re questioning why more action isn’t being taken.” [The governor is a wimp.]

Dr. O’Carroll said Hawaii should reinstate a mask mandate, go back to pre-testing all incoming travelers and consider adding a post-arrival test for extra protection.

“Some epidemiologists are asking for closing down the state for two weeks to 30 days, I’m not sure we’re quite there yet, but we have to do more than the slight indoor restrictions we have,” Dr. O’Carroll added.
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/many- ... rus-cases/

90% of hospitalized covid patients are not vaccinated.

Starting Monday, all government workers will have to prove their vaccination status or opt into weekly testing. Of course, people are complaining and suing about it. 1200 first responders filed a class action.

A legislator is promoting the implementation of a “Safe Pass” which would only allow vaccinated people inside bars, restaurants and shops. The Lt. Gov. and the Mayor of Honolulu agree. I think that's a good idea. I visited my jeweler this week. He was so depressed by the behavior of buyers. (I find good jewelry in need of cleaning or repair, buy it cheap, fix 'em up, then sell them as a fundraiser for the Walk to End Alzheimer's. The jeweler helps me with repairing, cleaning, testing, etc.)

Some people show him medical exemption letters that they can't wear masks. Some people wander in, ignoring the sign about limiting the number of people. I suggested locking the door. Let people wait for their turn. Even my dog's vet is doing that now. And told him that even if the medical letter is real (I've only seen one real one), it doesn't mean the person can come in. Offer to talk with the person outside or over the phone or computer. Some people threaten to sue him, but all he has to do is offer an alternative.

Some people suck :mad:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Mrs told me this morning of a group of protesters in a Fred Meyers parking lot waving "STOP THE TYRANNY" signs. She assumed they were anti-maskers / vaxxers up in arms about Gov Brown's Covid mandates being brought back.

The back of my head said I should go all Charleston on them, but the front of my head said we don't need martyrs. The front said I should carry a sign saying "WHITE PRIVILEGE ON DISPLAY HERE" instead. "FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS" was the second choice.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:08 am Almost 800 new cases today.

Our worst fear come true
“Our cases are increasing, hospitals are filling up and this has no end in sight,” explained emergency physician Dr. Darragh O’Carroll.

“A lot of the models show we’ll be at 600 COVID patients [in hospital] in the next two to three weeks, and that is not a sustainable number for our healthcare system,” he added. “We’re questioning why more action isn’t being taken.” [The governor is a wimp.]

Dr. O’Carroll said Hawaii should reinstate a mask mandate, go back to pre-testing all incoming travelers and consider adding a post-arrival test for extra protection.

“Some epidemiologists are asking for closing down the state for two weeks to 30 days, I’m not sure we’re quite there yet, but we have to do more than the slight indoor restrictions we have,” Dr. O’Carroll added.
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/many- ... rus-cases/

90% of hospitalized covid patients are not vaccinated.

Starting Monday, all government workers will have to prove their vaccination status or opt into weekly testing. Of course, people are complaining and suing about it. 1200 first responders filed a class action.

A legislator is promoting the implementation of a “Safe Pass” which would only allow vaccinated people inside bars, restaurants and shops. The Lt. Gov. and the Mayor of Honolulu agree. I think that's a good idea. I visited my jeweler this week. He was so depressed by the behavior of buyers. (I find good jewelry in need of cleaning or repair, buy it cheap, fix 'em up, then sell them as a fundraiser for the Walk to End Alzheimer's. The jeweler helps me with repairing, cleaning, testing, etc.)

Some people show him medical exemption letters that they can't wear masks. Some people wander in, ignoring the sign about limiting the number of people. I suggested locking the door. Let people wait for their turn. Even my dog's vet is doing that now. And told him that even if the medical letter is real (I've only seen one real one), it doesn't mean the person can come in. Offer to talk with the person outside or over the phone or computer. Some people threaten to sue him, but all he has to do is offer an alternative.

Some people suck :mad:
HI hasn't reinstated a mask mandate?

I like your suggestion of keeping the door locked. My salon does that. Clients call from thier car and wait until their stylist is ready for them.

The "doctor's notes" are almost always fake. Or they're written by anti-mask doctors who think that bad breath is a legitimate reason to not wear a mask.

It's time for states to issue official documentation about mask exemptions. Doctors can send a letter to the county health dept, whom, upon confirmation of the doctor's letter, can issue an official card or something. Businesses will know that their medical issue is legit.
Lani

Post by Lani »

The HI mask mandate has always been in effect, except for a recent change to not require masks outside if people socially distance. (Which too many people don't do.) That may change soon. Hospitals are overwhelmed.

Our highest daily case was 354 in 8/2020. Today it is 845. Not good. I look forward to my booster vax.

I just tell people not to get in an argument with someone who claims to have a medical exemption. Even if it's real, it's not carte blanche to enter a place unmasked. Just offer an alternative. Get a shopping list from the person, refer them to a website, offer a zoom meeting, etc. Bonus points! It really irks them when their fake letter doesn't get them what they want - to walk around the premises showing off that they don't have to wear a mask. :dance: Costco and our grocery stores are very good at handling those complaints.

Anyway, physicians are pushing for at least a 2 to 4 week shutdown. Right thing to do, although some people will freak out and have loud, stupid rallies.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

COVID live updates: Almost 18,000 police, 1,800 ADF members patrolling Sydney streets to enforce lockdown

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-16/ ... /100378580

All of NSW is now in lock down for at least 7 days. Increased on the spot penalties and no excuses.

Limited exemptions and allowances.
https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectiou ... rders.aspx
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

N.C. Rep. Keith Kidwell

NC lawmaker hospitalized after announcing his wife had COVID-19
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/polit ... 62998.html
He has filed lawsuits, joined ReOpen NC rallies, refused to wear a mask, spoken out against requiring vaccines and filed legislation to strip the governor of his ability to declare a state of emergency unilaterally.

Earlier this month, he signed a letter, along with 54 of his colleagues, that asked health care facilities to reconsider the vaccine requirements placed on employees.

The news of Kidwell’s hospitalization comes as the city of Raleigh announced it would begin requiring masks again at all indoor public places at 5 p.m.
Apparently other members are ill as well. House Speaker Tim Moore said "he would later announce several other members were battling health concerns and needed prayers."
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Lani wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:25 pm N.C. Rep. Keith Kidwell
► Show Spoiler
Apparently other members are ill as well. House Speaker Tim Moore said "he would later announce several other members were battling health concerns and needed prayers."

Hmmm - I wonder about the story of the deities rescue effort on that drowning believer: I sent you a boat..., then I sent you a 'copter, and then I sent you the vaccine :blackeye:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:00 pm COVID live updates: Almost 18,000 police, 1,800 ADF members patrolling Sydney streets to enforce lockdown

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-16/ ... /100378580

All of NSW is now in lock down for at least 7 days. Increased on the spot penalties and no excuses.

Limited exemptions and allowances.
https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectiou ... rders.aspx
And Melbourne lock down has been extended for another 2 weeks.

The problem is mainly in the Western Suburbs at the moment, but there is the occasional case in the Inner SouthEast where I am. There are still a few 'mystery cases' popping up each day where they don't know how they are linked to other cases. And they keep reporting finding virus in the waste water from all over the place - nobody can figure out where that is coming from and how.

I get my second dose on Wednesday thank goodness.

ABC News (Possibly GeoBlocked) Melbourne curfew among new lockdown rules as restrictions extended by two weeks
The strengthened measures come after examples of several breaches of restrictions came to light, including an organised pub crawl in Richmond, and an engagement party attended by dozens of guests.

"Every time even a small number of people make really bad choices, selfish choices, it take as way from the hard work that so many millions more are doing, and it extends these lockdowns because it makes it more likely that we will have more cases," Mr Andrews said.

"They are shitty choices and they keep us all locked down for longer than we should be."

The Premier spoke directly about the engagement party, saying each of the 69 people in attendance had been interviewed and tested.

"The fact is there has been transmission at that event. The only question is whether it will be a superspreader event, it's already a transmission event," he said.
The Police Commissioner said he expected total fines for that one event to be around $350,000.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Got my first jab today, next in 3 weeks.

I’m so glad we have sane State Governments.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

keith wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:08 am :snippity:
And Melbourne lock down has been extended for another 2 weeks.

The problem is mainly in the Western Suburbs at the moment, but there is the occasional case in the Inner SouthEast where I am. There are still a few 'mystery cases' popping up each day where they don't know how they are linked to other cases. And they keep reporting finding virus in the waste water from all over the place - nobody can figure out where that is coming from and how.

Remember all those asymptomatic cases will leave traces, not otherwise getting reported if not caught by a test.
Lani

Post by Lani »

And if people are vaccinated, they can be spreading a lot of the virus and never feel ill. I've noticed that more and more cases here can't be traced to a source. (One more reason why masking is still necessary.)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
LM K

Post by LM K »

keith wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:08 am :snippity:

I get my second dose on Wednesday thank goodness.
:cheer1:

ABC News (Possibly GeoBlocked) Melbourne curfew among new lockdown rules as restrictions extended by two weeks
The strengthened measures come after examples of several breaches of restrictions came to light, including an organised pub crawl in Richmond, and an engagement party attended by dozens of guests.

"Every time even a small number of people make really bad choices, selfish choices, it take as way from the hard work that so many millions more are doing, and it extends these lockdowns because it makes it more likely that we will have more cases," Mr Andrews said.

"They are shitty choices and they keep us all locked down for longer than we should be."

The Premier spoke directly about the engagement party, saying each of the 69 people in attendance had been interviewed and tested.

"The fact is there has been transmission at that event. The only question is whether it will be a superspreader event, it's already a transmission event," he said.
The Police Commissioner said he expected total fines for that one event to be around $350,000.
From the article:
"Our contact tracers who are working their guts out for all of us will have to spend literally thousands of hours dealing with hundreds and thousands of people connected to that engagement party."
69 people at one event. During a pandemic. To celebrate an engagement. That's beyond selfish.

Short video of the party.

Party took place inside. 69 people standing shoulder to shoulder. Almost no one wearing a mask (engaged couple).

I'm extremely glad that the fines will be so steep.

It's time for governments to start naming and shaming those who violate covid restrictions.
LM K

Post by LM K »

LM K wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:41 pm
Short video of the party.

From the above link:
Friends of the family who hosted the event have contacted the ABC to say the family have been receiving death threats since the incident became public.

In a response seen by the ABC, a woman asks for forgiveness after receiving a message from somebody criticising her involvement in the party.

"We did wrong but the hate coming our way is just so mean! So far we're all isolating and have received negative results," she said. :liar: :liar: :liar:

The party was attended by a number of prominent members of the Victorian Jewish community.

The president of the Jewish Community Council of Victoria, Daniel Aghion, said the vast majority of the community is abiding by the rules and the family is regretting what it did.

"I think it can be best described as lockdown fatigue. Somebody made a mistake and did something they shouldn't have," he said.

:violin:

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Interesting that members of the same faith were reported staging weddings in the New York Bronx (?) last year during the first lockdown.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Governor Ducey of AZ issued another executive order making mask mandates more illegal-er (it's a class 3 misdemeanor).
https://azgovernor.gov/sites/default/fi ... 021-18.pdf

Mayor of Tucson has already issued a statement calling it meaningless.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dyvjzm/ ... d-arkansas

Basically talking to patients in Arkansas who have full blown COVID and who wont get the vaccine. A doctor says he has a success rate of about 1 on 5. A lot of patients think the doctors are lying to them, and when the doctors insist they have Covid they get agitated and that causes their Blood Oxagen to collapse. And talk about how the age of patients has gone down.

FOX News needs to be shut down.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Not to sound callous, but let them choke out. Let the culling occur.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”