Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

would you support business that said you can only come in if you were fully vaccinated

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
sad-cafe

would you support business that said you can only come in if you were fully vaccinated

Post by sad-cafe »

I think if there were businesses like that, I would shop there.

Some cruise ships are going to have cruises that say only vaccinated people can go I would jump at that in a hot minute
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: would you support business that said you can only come in if you were fully vaccinated

Post by Volkonski »

Yes. Aside from the basic reason that everyone should be vaccinated (unless they have some rare medical condition that indicates otherwise) it might be for very good reasons. A person at the business might be immunocompromised. People at the business might travel a lot and possibly have been exposed to infected persons.

I went to public schools that required that I be vaccinated for smallpox and polio. Our daughters had to be vaccinated for a slew of diseases to go to their public schools. I recall getting notices from the school when booster shots were due and rushing the girls around to get them those shots before the start of the school year.

Seems to me that public health activities were more accepted years ago. Perhaps people then remembered how bad things could get.

In the 1950s at school we were given the Sabin vaccine during the school day. We got TB tine tests. (Mine was positive. My mother had to take me to a distant (about 2 hours) hospital for a definitive diagnosis which happily was negative. I got a few days off from school and a restaurant meal on the way to the hospital which was a rare thing for our family in those days ;) ). We had eye tests which was how I learned that I needed glasses when I was in 5th grade.

When Mrs. V. and I got married NY State required us to have blood tests to check for venereal diseases.

All these things weren't done to restrict our "freedom". They were done to save lives.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: would you support business that said you can only come in if you were fully vaccinated

Post by AndyinPA »

Yes!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

sad-cafe wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:33 pm I think if there were businesses like that, I would shop there.

Some cruise ships are going to have cruises that say only vaccinated people can go I would jump at that in a hot minute
Nope.

Cruise ships are floatng incubators
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Yes.

I've been avoiding businesses here in Florida that do not require masks.

It's called sanity.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

The idea unfortunately is rife with issues and potential f* ups

A mask is simple, binary, visible, checkable not open to forgery, fraud or interpretation

Let us take Florida as an example with its substantial migrant and snowbird population

Florida mandates (or doesn't actively block this),

1. What is the level of proof required?
2. Is only a Florida cert good?
3. Will Florida recognize other states certs?
4. Will it recognize ALL other states certs
5. What about folks visiting from states that don't issue certs
6. Who is going to provide the training to staff to recognise valid certs both FL and AN Other
7. What about out of US visitors/tourists
8. What about tourists who have has jabs with immunisations not available in the US such as the Oxford one....are they recognised..?
8. What about those people with legitimate causes that cannot have the inoculations see questions 1 - 7
9. How long do you think it will be before a nice little market in dodgy certs starts...?

One could continue........... Liabiity, legal challenges etc etc
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, too easy to forge a certificate. Look what Obama did! :mrgreen:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Even simpler, the states run by nut jobs would enact laws prohibiting such "discrimination." Many have already done so with mask requirements.
Il factotum
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I understand the question in here is a thought exercise, but IRL it would be begging for a confrontation.

#1 It has to be a business I frequent, or I'll take a deferred position.
#2 What's their market position: mom and pop local, small franchise, large franchise, or (multi)national chain? The bigger they are, the less work I have to put into figuring out their motivation.

Which leads the most important point: #3 What is their motivation? Some local people are just firebrands. They like the heat. They love stirring the pot. They want to attract wasps and hornets just to swat them down. It's a blood sport for them, and I won't be a part of it. Ala Joey Gibson.
realist

Post by realist »

Yes.
Image X 4
Image X 32
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

By about June 1 I'm probably going to stop wearing my mask. If someone isn't vaccinated, it's their problem. If they are unable to be vaccinated, they are the ones who should be wearing a mask.
Il factotum
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I would prefer businesses that would insist on vaccines.

No Shirt
No Shoes
No Shot

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I'm afraid of an overreaction. We're vaccinated so let's party. Dodge corona and get rotavirus. I'd go, but I might still wear a mask.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Yes, in my neck of the woods every shop I go to has a sign like that and "most' people comply, even if they wear their mask incorrectly under their nose. I can't think of a business I've been in since Covid began that doesn't require a mask. Of course I've only been to five places. Grocery store, hardware store, BJ's, Walmart and Target.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Yes, I absolutely would.
Mr brolin wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:54 am The idea unfortunately is rife with issues and potential f* ups

A mask is simple, binary, visible, checkable not open to forgery, fraud or interpretation

Let us take Florida as an example with its substantial migrant and snowbird population

Florida mandates (or doesn't actively block this),

1. What is the level of proof required?
2. Is only a Florida cert good?
3. Will Florida recognize other states certs?
4. Will it recognize ALL other states certs
5. What about folks visiting from states that don't issue certs
6. Who is going to provide the training to staff to recognise valid certs both FL and AN Other
7. What about out of US visitors/tourists
8. What about tourists who have has jabs with immunisations not available in the US such as the Oxford one....are they recognised..?
8. What about those people with legitimate causes that cannot have the inoculations see questions 1 - 7
9. How long do you think it will be before a nice little market in dodgy certs starts...?

One could continue........... Liabiity, legal challenges etc etc
My card is from the CDC, isn't everyone else's? I thought that was standard. Also, as far as validating, I have to load a photo of my completed card into my health app where they will electronically verify it (takes up to two weeks) and then it shows me as vaccinated. I'm pretty OK with requiring a validation app. People with legitimate reasons they can't be vaccinated can go somewhere else or be serviced via alternative means (curbside delivery, etc.)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
much ado

Post by much ado »

Yes, my card (in California) is from the CDC. It is stamped by the facility that administers the vaccine. There is no certification by the state. The state is not involved in the documentation of the vaccination.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I can’t think of any reason why I wouldn’t support such a business. I’d assume they had their reasons.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Nope. I have not been allowed to receive any Covid vaccines yet. I wouldn't be allowed to support such a business.

There are a lot of businesses I would not support, no matter what they said.

There are a lot of businesses I can't afford to support with my hard-earned cash. I'm not rich.

I support businesses through my work. I work for health clinics. If I subscribed to this decree, people would not get vaccinated.

Apologies for my dissenting viewpoint.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Sure. Especially if it is an airline.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

PaulG wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:33 pm I'm afraid of an overreaction. We're vaccinated so let's party. Dodge corona and get rotavirus. I'd go, but I might still wear a mask.
My point in an earlier post. If I ever get vaccinated, nothing will change. I’ll work from home until employer brings us back, I’ll mask up indoors, and unmask in the great outdoors unless there are people about. I’m not assuming immunity on anyone’s part, just some degree of protection.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

As a nation, we should mask indoors (except at home) until the positivity rate in whatever area we are in is as near to zero as the epidemiologists tell us it is likely to get.

I am astounded that this point is not more often made

Now that I know the wonders of masking, I expect to be doing so off and on for the rest of my life as a standard health measure, mostly for myself, but when called for, for my community.
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

I'm with Portia. And to be clear, I am fully vaccinated but I will continue to mask. As for supporting businesses I have some concern about forgery, legitimate medical reasons for not vaccinating, etc. I would be fine with "either have vaccination or properly wear a mask" as a policy I could support.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm with the maskers. When I return to my office, I'll close the door and take it off. Those of us lucky to have a reasonable size office can leave it off when people stop by and stay in the doorway to chat briefly. That seems to be the new normal in offices these days.

I'll wear a mask in stores. I'll definitely wear one in airports and on a plane. Asian visitors often wear a mask when traveling and out & about on the islands, so it wouldn't be "odd" to wear one in public.

As tourism returns, so will COVID w/variants, so likely I'll be wearing one for some time to come. BTW, we just had another visitor, who had a negative test 3 days before arriving, wind up hospitalized for the virus. So yeah, masks for the foreseeable future.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
June bug

Post by June bug »

woodworker wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:29 pm I'm with Portia. And to be clear, I am fully vaccinated but I will continue to mask. As for supporting businesses I have some concern about forgery, legitimate medical reasons for not vaccinating, etc. I would be fine with "either have vaccination or properly wear a mask" as a policy I could support.
:thumbsup: This!

I too will continue to mask when around others who aren't either fully vaccinated or very low risk, or when I'm in public settings. And I'm more comfortable with businesses supporting masking right now. It's the most reliable protection until, if ever, we reach a high enough level of group immunity not to be concerned.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”