Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

would you support business that said you can only come in if you were fully vaccinated

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: would you support business that said you can only come in if you were fully vaccinated

Post by LM K »

zekeb wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:37 am By about June 1 I'm probably going to stop wearing my mask. If someone isn't vaccinated, it's their problem. If they are unable to be vaccinated, they are the ones who should be wearing a mask.
Then you increase the chance of variants being spread to others ... and being infected with a variant. And new variants mutating.

Viruses are masters at survival. The CDC is considering those who were vaccinated 6 months ago get a 3rd booster because ... variants.

We have no idea how many variants there are. We have an Oregon variant now.

And ... no vaccine is 100%.

Masks will be critical until herd immunity occurs. That's reality.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
HST's Ghost

Re: would you support business that said you can only come in if you were fully vaccinated

Post by HST's Ghost »

I haven't seen anything concrete, but I imagine that countries will start requiring some proof of vaccination for international entries.
I am kinda counting on for smooth traveling between Vietnam and Japan...
"The dumber than dirt American we screwed to to floor"
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

LM K wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:45 pm We have no idea how many variants there are. We have an Oregon variant now.
We do? Rut roh.

It's called EeK, similar to the British variant, and seems to have mutated spontaneously on it's own in Oregon.
Liz

Post by Liz »

No.
That's like a Whites Only sign.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:21 pm As a nation, we should mask indoors (except at home) until the positivity rate in whatever area we are in is as near to zero as the epidemiologists tell us it is likely to get.

I am astounded that this point is not more often made

Now that I know the wonders of masking, I expect to be doing so off and on for the rest of my life as a standard health measure, mostly for myself, but when called for, for my community.
My better half and I were just marveling the other day that despite having to go out somewhat regularly and having a young child in school in person two to three days a week, we haven’t not only caught COVID or the flu this year, we have not caught even one single cold. Not one. I credit mask wearing and increased vigilance to hand washing for this.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Liz wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:04 am No.
No it isn’t, that’s ridiculous. Vaccinations are already required for US schools and I have never seen someone equating that to a whites only sign. There are also already vaccines required for travel to various places, it’s hardly a new thing to have such requirements and is not analogous to whites only, it is a public health issue.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

covfefe wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:30 am
No it isn’t, that’s ridiculous. Vaccinations are already required for US schools and I have never seen someone equating that to a whites only sign. There are also already vaccines required for travel to various places, it’s hardly a new thing to have such requirements and is not analogous to whites only, it is a public health issue.
:yeahthat:
Lani

Post by Lani »

I don't think that's what Liz meant.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Liz

Post by Liz »

What various schools and various places?
Wearing masks is required is all schools and all public transportation... at least the state where I live.
If a business doesn't require masks, I don't there.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Liz wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:49 pm
Wearing masks is required is all schools and all public transportation... at least the state where I live.
To begin with, every school in the state of Mississippi requires proof of vaccinations to enroll in school. My daughter has had to get required vaccinations for every country she has taught in. Korea, Turkey, Ecuador, Brazil, Spain and one more I can't remember so far.
Liz

Post by Liz »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:26 pm

To begin with, every school in the state of Mississippi requires proof of vaccinations to enroll in school. My daughter has had to get required vaccinations for every country she has taught in. Korea, Turkey, Ecuador, Brazil, Spain and one more I can't remember so far.
Mississippi, like Montana, North Dakota, Texas and Wyoming no longer have a mask mandate. Alabama will end theirs in April
Besides the standard childhood vaccinations like Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio. Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis.
Aren't we talking about the Covid19 vaccination, to attend school do teachers children need that one too?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Liz wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:59 pm

Mississippi, like Montana, North Dakota, Texas and Wyoming no longer have a mask mandate. Alabama will end theirs in April
Besides the standard childhood vaccinations like Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio. Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis.
Aren't we talking about the Covid19 vaccination, to attend school do teachers children need that one too?
No. Covfefe's response had nothing to do with the covid vaccine specifically. Mississippi never had a statewide mask mandate, but most cities of any size are still under local mask mandates. But that has nothing to do with your statement about it being like a "whites only" sign and covfefe's response.
somerset

Post by somerset »

HST's Ghost wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:48 am I haven't seen anything concrete, but I imagine that countries will start requiring some proof of vaccination for international entries.
I am kinda counting on for smooth traveling between Vietnam and Japan...
US and Singapore for me (with China and Philippines mixed in on occasion).
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

In June, we will be on Amtrak and then in Arizona, Utah, and Colorado for three weeks. I'll be watching the mask policy there, but I plan on taking cloth masks and disposable masks with me and use them when I feel as if I need them. Most of the trip will be in a rental car and in national parks, so I feel we're mostly okay with that.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Liz

Post by Liz »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:12 pm
Liz wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:59 pm

No. Covfefe's response had nothing to do with the covid vaccine specifically. Mississippi never had a statewide mask mandate, but most cities of any size are still under local mask mandates. But that has nothing to do with your statement about it being like a "whites only" sign and covfefe's response.
If I'd said it was like a Poll Tax would that make you happy?
This topic is about Covid specifically. You shouldn't tell me what you think Covfefe meant to say specifically, he can speak for himself if he desires. You don't even know what I meant to say.

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

I can see your concern about the disproportion of vaccination.

What can be done to improve that situation.

Should it involve Federal intervention?

Assuming that any discrimination issue is addressed, would you then support private companies that then had a "No Vaccine No service" approach that was to ensure public health?
Liz

Post by Liz »

How would that be accomplished?
Would stores hire staff to check customers vaccination card and drivers license/state ID before entry?
And like froggy said, it'd be easy to forge vaccination cards... or at least I think he said that
I don't think it's a practical or feasible endeavor.

edited to add. Wearing a double mask would be great... even a single mask would do.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Your charts were helpful. I understand your argument now, and don't have a disagreement with it. The net effect of vax being required could be a whites only policy.

At least in the beginning. As more people become vaccinated, that effect will be less pronounced, and limited to those that refuse to be vax'd for one reason or another.
Lani

Post by Lani »

In lower income neighborhoods and remote locations, there often isn't a pharmacy like CVS to provide the shots. It can be difficult to get to a place that provides them. And lower income peeps also might not be able to get time off from work, just like when people try to vote, but can't get off work. Add the lack of good ppublic transportation.

Even here, a very small place, there are people who can't handle a long bus trip to/from the sites or can't leave the home without a personal assistant. Currently, 3 vans are being fitted out as a medical van so shots can be provided in every village and at people's home.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Lani wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:53 pm In lower income neighborhoods and remote locations, there often isn't a pharmacy like CVS to provide the shots. It can be difficult to get to a place that provides them. And lower income peeps also might not be able to get time off from work, just like when people try to vote, but can't get off work. Add the lack of good ppublic transportation.

Even here, a very small place, there are people who can't handle a long bus trip to/from the sites or can't leave the home without a personal assistant. Currently, 3 vans are being fitted out as a medical van so shots can be provided in every village and at people's home.
And that's exactly why it's so great that a single-shot vaccine exists!
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

This thread was created 4 months ago. Interesting to read it now.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

I would. Though seriously, I've been vaccinated and right now I have a sore throat, feel a bit warm and am very lethargic. I can't get a Covid test unless I'm willing to pay $70 for it.
Il factotum
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 pm I can't get a Covid test unless I'm willing to pay $70 for it.
Huh? When did this change?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:12 pm
zekeb wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 pm I can't get a Covid test unless I'm willing to pay $70 for it.
Huh? When did this change?
I don't think it did.
COVID-19 tests are available at no cost nationwide at health centers and select pharmacies. The Families First Coronavirus Response Act ensures that COVID-19 testing is free to anyone in the U.S., including the uninsured. Additional testing sites may be available in your area. Contact your health care provider or your state or local public health department for more information.
https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/communi ... index.html
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

zekeb wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 pm I would. Though seriously, I've been vaccinated and right now I have a sore throat, feel a bit warm and am very lethargic. I can't get a Covid test unless I'm willing to pay $70 for it.
Having read the next few posts I wonder if you are referencing a DIY home self-test kit rather than a test at a walk(travel/drive)-in center.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”