Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Covid-19 Numbers

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Covid-19 Numbers

Post by RTH10260 »

Everywhere they ought to report how many patients inhospital beds had been vaccinated and who not, the vast majority.

ETA found a breakdown of payers for covid hospitalization, one year old, at https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blog/2 ... oss-states
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:16 pm Everywhere they ought to report how many patients in hospital beds had been vaccinated and who not, the vast majority.

ETA found a breakdown of payers for covid hospitalization, one year old, at https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blog/2 ... oss-states
Too, also, they should break down deaths between vaccinated and unvaccinated. That seems like the strongest piece of evidence of the benefit of vaccination to me.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

And now two more employees in our building have tested positive for Covid. The company had plans for some departments to return to work at the office, but just announced they will be scheduling a Zoom meeting to discuss those plans. With the two new cases announced today that makes four people who were working in office in the past week to have tested positive. That doesn't count anyone working from home who has tested positive. They only make announcements when someone who was working in person at the office has tested positive. They do not reveal who it is unless you are one of the people who has been in close contact and then you are told so that you can get tested. Also, my coworker is still in the hospital. According to the CDC my county, Volusia, is 44.9% vaccinated.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
tek

Post by tek »

From a good friend who works for a moderate-sized US-based manufacturing company - one that probably made several things you have in your home..
Our corporation just announced that on Friday, they are returning to mandatory masks for everyone at all sites in the US. Globally, we're 45,000 employees, probably 30,000 in the US. This is a sad, but necessary, step backwards. We had evolved to a policy where only the unvaccinated had to wear masks. It didn't have to be like this. If people in the US would get vaccinated, and if those who can't would wear masks in public. VERY disappointing...
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm being crushed at work. There is a big push to return all employees to office and other work based on a "new normal." But there is nothing normal. The "new normal" didn't factor in the variants which have now flooded our state. Our infection rate is much higher than then ever before.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Another day, and another hospitalization record broken in Florida... :mad:

Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Off Topic
p0rtia wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:14 pm I :heart: Nikki Fried.
I was unaware of her, but now I :heart: her too and just donated to her campaign. :boxing:
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

This could be appropriate for many of the different Covid threads, but I will plop this here.

I just had a whale of a good time calling my congress critters' office to ask if he could give me some advice. I explained that I have bad arthritis and could he give me some advice on how to deal with it. His staff gremlin said, after a long pause that Bob Latta cant give advice on medical issues and that should be the doctor's place. Hilarity ensured and much silence on the other end when I pointed out his no masking position.

I haven't had this much fun since the hogs ate my little sister. And I aint even drunk.

It's just a phone call. Let me know if you try it and what the response is.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Notaperson wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:36 pm
Off Topic
p0rtia wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:14 pm I :heart: Nikki Fried.
I was unaware of her, but now I :heart: her too and just donated to her campaign. :boxing:
I like what I've seen of her and I wish we lived in a Florida that would vote for her. But we don't. Charlie Crist could possibly beat DeSantis, but alas, but this is not the Florida we had before Rick Scott. Rick Scott spent much of Florida's budget in heavy Tea Party areas in the Northeast advertising Florida as a great place to retire. We are no longer a purple state, but Crist could beat DeSantis only because of how horribly DeSantis has handled the coronavirus.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Yes, it's the "no one can win but Biden" argument being played out in Florida.

I do not know how real this dilemma is, but I know there a majority here who probably that think it is (real).

I argue the opposing view: that not voting for the person you think is best for the job perpetuates the Old White Men in power syndrome. And I believe that Old White Men in power is inherently anti-democratic.
tek

Post by tek »

Christ needs to drop out and get behind Fried.

I'm sure his ego won't let him do that, but Fried is by far the better person for the job.

IMHO, of course :batting:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:45 pm This could be appropriate for many of the different Covid threads, but I will plop this here.

I just had a whale of a good time calling my congress critters' office to ask if he could give me some advice. I explained that I have bad arthritis and could he give me some advice on how to deal with it. His staff gremlin said, after a long pause that Bob Latta cant give advice on medical issues and that should be the doctor's place. Hilarity ensured and much silence on the other end when I pointed out his no masking position.

I haven't had this much fun since the hogs ate my little sister. And I aint even drunk.

It's just a phone call. Let me know if you try it and what the response is.

:thumbsup: :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I've gone back to ordering groceries through instacart. I also get a small box from EveryPlate, which is super affordable and surprisingly good food. (I have lots of coupons for a free box if anyone is interested PM me. Their website allows you to see menus before you ever sign up, you can drop any time or skip weeks any time.)

The unvaccinated continue to kill themselves off (unfortunately probably taking innocent people with them, not to mention hogging up our hospital resources. Another GQP official bites the dust.

--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

PG - You are a hoot!!!!!! Love your call to your congress critters! :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Up another 480 hospitalized Covid patients since yesterday, and another new record! Go Florida!!!

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Since Florida (among others) is not taking steps to slow contagion this will get worse.

:mad:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

And the AZ governor outlawed masks in schools.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

I'm glad we listened to Dr. Fauci and started masking up and stopped going to restaurants a few weeks ago.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:eek:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

filly wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:18 pm

I'm glad we listened to Dr. Fauci and started masking up and stopped going to restaurants a few weeks ago.
From those numbers, new cases are growing by a factor of about 1.5 per week. That means the number is doubling every 12 days. Although the positivity rate is 11% (according to https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en), so those numbers are probably a big undercount. The 7 day average of deaths bottomed out around 150/day in early July and is now well above 300. Dr. Fauci said that 99% of the deaths in May were unvaccinated people. I really wish we were seeing more statistics comparing vaccinated and unvaccinated people (as well as per capita statistics).
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:58 pm And the AZ governor outlawed masks in schools.
:shock: Arizona has 5 pediatric deaths per million. No one else is over 2. Maybe someone should ask the governor about that...
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:52 pm Since Florida (among others) is not taking steps to slow contagion this will get worse.

:mad:
I'm bouncing off your post not because I disagree but because it makes me think of something I want to say about fifty times a day:

It's not that the fascists are just doing nothing--it's that they're actively promoting illness via anti-science and conspiracy-theory rhetoric.

DeSantis yesterday/today backed off a bit to say, paraphrasing, that he wanted parents to have the right to not mask their kids. This was touted as, like, oooh, wow, great! But the fact is that he is still selling merch that ridicules masks, and is on the record of being anti-mask for well over a year. Ever since he said "Localities must set their own masking requirements--the state can't do that."

That didn't last long.

Another thing that drives me nuts is this "either/or" lie about "shutdowns." Goddammit, the whole point of vaccines and masks is to AVOID shutdowns. DeSantis' words always have the planted assumption that not masking is the way to avoid shutdowns. Just appalling.

And for the record, about 60 percent of Floridians still want mask mandates. They always have.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Slarti the White wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:48 pm :shock: Arizona has 5 pediatric deaths per million. No one else is over 2. Maybe someone should ask the governor about that...
The in-school rates there are rocketing too, no mask mandate allowed, most mitigation measures outlawed. Something has to give soon. School districts are starting to just follow CDC and blow off his rules, dunno if he will sue or defund or what.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Gov. Ron DeSantis has downplayed the surge, insisting it was seasonal and would soon recede. But a University of South Florida epidemiologist told the New York Times that in Florida, the peak of the current surge is likely a month away.

"Short term and long term, the cases are going to explode," Edwin Michael, a professor of epidemiology at the University of South Florida, in Tampa, told the newspaper. "We are predicting that the cases will be peaking the first week of September."
https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news ... 481224001/

So if the scientist, rather than the governor, turns out to be correct, how many Florida Covid hospitalizations could we see in early September?

Slarti, care to calculate an estimate for us? :cantlook:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:58 pm And the AZ governor outlawed masks in schools.
I will note that New York City and New York State are not the same.
filly

Post by filly »

THE NYT reports there were 100,199 new Covid cases in the US yesterday.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”