Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus and the Schools

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Coronavirus and the Schools

Post by raison de arizona »

Governor’s school mask-mandate ban illegal and unsupported, judge rules

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - A Florida judge ruled Governor Ron DeSantis's executive order on banning mask mandates in schools as unconstitutional, rejecting many of the governor's administration's claims in issuing the ban back in July. The judge said the governor's ban actually violated a new law that went into effect this year.

In addition, the judge is not granting an injunction against the governor, but is granting a injunction against the State Board of Education, one of the defendants in the case who was enforcing the executive order.

One of the central arguing points in the state's side of the case was the "Parents' Bill of Rights" that became law this year. Judge John Cooper said the new law does "not ban mask mandates at all." The governor had previous said the new law gave him the authority to issue his executive order.

"Parents right are very important but they’re not without some reasonable limitations," usually in regard to health care or safety, the judge noted.

Cooper also added that the law doesn't mean the state can penalize school boards. Instead, those schools boards should have the due process rights to indicate their policy is reasonable, however, the state has not done so with Alachua and Broward school districts.
:snippity:
https://www.fox13news.com/news/florida- ... in-schools
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:mad:

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Arrest that bitch/bastard, assuming they live.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:03 pm Arrest that bitch/bastard, assuming they live.
Sez mild symptoms, teach probably didn't even realize they had it (which is part of the problem). That said, is CA not under a school mask mandate statewide? That seems to be my recollection.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

spiduh wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:15 pm

Sez mild symptoms, teach probably didn't even realize they had it (which is part of the problem). That said, is CA not under a school mask mandate statewide? That seems to be my recollection.
https://www.marinij.com/2021/08/19/mari ... r-schools/
raison de arizona

Azastan wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:18 pm

Well, at least it worked out well for them, pro-virus asshats. :brickwallsmall:

And that's my new term for them (which I'm sure someone(s) else is already using), pro-virus. In the abortion drama, we have pro-life and pro-choice, we don't (generally) talk about anti-choice or anti-life. This could be the same, what do these people support? Well, we have pro-vaccination folks, we know where they stand, and we have pro-virus folks. We know where they stand as well.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Five schools close due to rising COVID cases in Alabama town that hosted Trump rally[
John Wright
August 26, 2021

Five schools in Cullman, Alabama, are closing their doors for two weeks due to rising COVID-19 cases — days after former president Donald Trump hosted a rally in the city that health officials warned could be a virus superspreader.

The Cullman County school district announced Wednesday that the five schools will switch to remote learning from Aug. 27 through Sept. 10, saying that one-third of students at the district's 29 campuses were reported absent due to a positive COVID test or contact tracing.

The local CBS affiliate reported that in addition to the school closures, multiple high school football games have been canceled.

The Cullman Times reported that as of Tuesday, the district had 107 reported positive cases of COVID-19 among students.

According to the latest figures from the New York Times, Cullman has experienced a 124 percent increase in COVID-19 hospitalizations over the last 14 days — among the largest jumps in the state.

Prior to Trump's rally, health officials said they were "shivering in their boots" about the prospect of a COVID-19 surge in the wake of not only Trump's rally, but also a Rock the South concert held at the same venue the weekend before.

City officials also declared a state of emergency in advance of Trump's rally, with the state running out of ICU beds.

https://www.rawstory.com/cullman-trump/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

They should sue Trump. :mad:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
ZinWhit

Post by ZinWhit »

A week ago, our school district was the first to delay opening school in Oregon (by 3 weeks), Douglas County hammered by covid and spreadnecks.

Yesterday, a joint letter signed by 12 area school superintendents.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210828-125800_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210828-125800_Drive.jpg (430.05 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Conservation is what conservation does and it sure ain't preservation.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Azastan wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:18 pm

A follow up on this story:

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2021/0 ... mAuq-ZEI5A
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

I was just thinking about allergies and covid. The Willamette Valley has the highest grass pollen count in the world every spring-summer. 90% of the world's grass seed is grown in the Willamette Valley.

Many in western Oregon have severe grass allergies. A bunch of us are sneezing, sniffing and coughing for several months of the year (drugs can do only so much).

During allergy season I'm going to test weekly so I don't make the mistake the elementary school teacher did when she infected half her class.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya I have had constant hay fever for the last few months, and it has been an effort to avoid panicking about it.
Hic sunt dracones
Lani

Post by Lani »

Same here, but it's not the outdoors causing my allergies. It's the chemicals being used to sanitize stores & offices. I started having some problems early on in the age of covid. Usually, over a half hour to an hour, my face would feel hot, then congestion, then coughing. But now I have to avoid some places because it happens quickly. I tried a lot of allergy meds, but only benedryl really helps. Unfortunately, it also makes me sleepy. :(
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Suranis wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:08 am Ya I have had constant hay fever for the last few months, and it has been an effort to avoid panicking about it.
:yeahthat:
LM K

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:33 am Same here, but it's not the outdoors causing my allergies. It's the chemicals being used to sanitize stores & offices. I started having some problems early on in the age of covid. Usually, over a half hour to an hour, my face would feel hot, then congestion, then coughing. But now I have to avoid some places because it happens quickly. I tried a lot of allergy meds, but only benedryl really helps. Unfortunately, it also makes me sleepy. :(
I'm so sorry!

I've had severe allergies all my life. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to know some of my tricks.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Education Dept. Announces Civil Rights Investigations Into 5 States' Mask Mandate Bans
The U.S. Department of Education sent a warning to five states on Monday that their statewide bans on mask mandates, including in schools, could violate students' civil rights. Suzanne B. Goldberg, the department's acting assistant secretary for civil rights, sent letters to state education leaders in Iowa, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Utah, informing them that the department's Office for Civil Rights is investigating whether their bans are discriminatory.

At the center of the department's concerns, according to Monday's letters, are students with disabilities who may be at heightened risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Goldberg's letters say these investigations will focus on whether the state bans are discriminatory by preventing students with disabilities from safely returning to in-person education.

Federal law "guarantees qualified students with disabilities the right to a free appropriate public education in elementary and secondary school," Goldberg wrote in each of the letters. "This includes the right of students with disabilities to receive their education in the regular educational environment, alongside their peers without disabilities, to the maximum extent appropriate to their needs."

If students with disabilities do not feel safe returning to school because their classmates cannot be required to wear masks, the department's argument goes, then these bans could be considered discriminatory
and violate either Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and/or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

If the Education Department ultimately finds that these mask-mandate bans do run afoul of federal civil rights law, it could threaten to withhold federal funding, though, on a recent appearance on NBC's Meet the Press, Cardona conceded that this was less than ideal.

"When we talk about withholding funds, those who suffer are the students," Cardona said. "Withholding funds doesn't usually work. If anything, it adds insult to injury to these students who are trying to get into the classroom."

The department says it is not at this time investigating other states with similar bans — including Texas, Florida, Arkansas and Arizona — because those bans are not currently being enforced, because of either court orders or other actions.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Sounds good to me. :smoking:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
LM K

Post by LM K »

I am furious and I need to vent.

My college is walking back on several promises made a few weeks ago.

Note: the college has received $27m to deal with all issues raised.

From our campus President.
Dear Colleagues,

I would like to review a few of the most frequently asked questions:

3. What type of vaccination exemptions are available?

The Board of Education passed a board action declaring Lane Community College as a Fully Vaccinated Campus with medical and non-medical exemptions. LCC is still the only community college to have a vaccine mandate. : liar : Please check the LCC Vaccination Requirement website for more information. Broken promise: a fully vaccinated campus means 90% or more employees and students are vaccinated. The college can claim to be a fully vaccinated campus, but they've made it impossible to reach that goal. Fall term is Sept through Dec. It's 11 weeks long.

4. Why hasn’t the college been verifying medical and religious exemptions?

We recognize all religious beliefs for all employees and students, and do not question their religion or exemptions requested based on their faith. Similarly, the College has chosen to rely on the integrity of the individual’s chosen medical provider. These requirements may be added later, but unlike other colleges and universities that have existing vaccination verification systems, this would require building new systems at Lane to review and verify each exemption individually. :brickwallsmall: Requesting medical information also has HIPAA consequences that would create additional processing challenges. :liar: There is no HIPAA violation.

5. Is the college conducting COVID-19 testing?

Yes. We are partnering with McKenzie Willamette Hospital to conduct surveillance testing on the LCC campus for unvaccinated employees and students. The exact number of tests, frequency for each individual, and exact process and location for testing are still being worked on with our potential partners. Testing is a high priority safety strategy that we will employ to keep the college safe. : liar: The College will continue to explore options in this area to identify providers and models that could work at LCC. Broken promise. Unvaccinated staff and students were to be tested. Vaccinated staff and students were to be tested periodically.

6. Is the college going to pay for testing? Will employees/students have to pay?

Through Fall term 2021, tests will be performed at no cost to the college or individuals. Initial research indicates that the cost for weekly surveillance testing could be as high as $1.5 million per term, depending on the level of testing and the total number of unvaccinated individuals at a given time. The institutional portion of HEERF fund reimbursement may be used to support testing, however, be advised that money used for testing will not be available for covering lost revenue due to enrollment declines and other losses. The college is fully committed to test as many non-vaccinated students and employees as feasible. We are working with LCPH, our hospitals, and the universities to establish the best way to conduct testing, and working with several public partners to research testing options. (So, if we do frequent testing of unaccinated students, we can't guarantee that we can pay you. But hey, we'll try!)

8. Is LCC conducting contact tracing?

Yes. Contact tracing is being conducted at all LCC locations under the explicit direction of Lane County Public Health. Since the pandemic hit, we have partnered with LCPH and agreed to abide by OHA Investigative Guidelines for contact tracing. LCPH protocol dictates that if an employee or student of the college has come into close contact (within 6 feet) with a person who has tested positive or is presumed to be positive for COVID-19 for 15 minutes or more, they will be notified. Broken promise. Faculty was told that we would be informed if a student in our class tested positively. Not anymore.

9. Is the air in my workspace safe?

LCC Facilities professionals are carefully following guidance provided : liar : from the CDC and American Society for Heating Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), and have documented ventilation practices publicly on the LCC COVID Ventilation Plan website.
Broken promise. Classrooms without HEPA filters won't get HIPAA filters. But hey, faculty, you're welcome to put your own HEPA systems in classrooms without adequate ventilation!

I know this is a difficult time, but I continue to believe that we will be more successful at offering a safe environment : rotflmao : for teaching and learning if we work together toward a common goal, treat one another with respect, and stay in dialog. If we truly wish to foster a diverse campus with open access and equitable systems, we have to consider those who disagree, and those who are struggling with what to do at this time. I continue to ask you to be patient and flexible as we continue to work through this together. Campus will be safe! We promise!!

In other words employees, don't be difficult!

Here's what the faculty union said about current negotiations with the college administration regarding campus safety.
LCC Faculty Colleagues,

Lane County Emergency Advisory

As you are likely aware, COVID cases are surging in Lane County and throughout Oregon. Given the dearth of available ICU beds, Lane County passed an emergency advisory, which includes recommendations as follows:

-Unvaccinated adults should stay home, not go in public, and get vaccinated;

-Employers should encourage remote work;

-In addition to indoor masking regardless of vaccine status, all should wear masks outdoors whenever 6’ distance is not reliably possible (also mandated by Governor Brown to take effect this Friday); and

-Individuals should avoid activities that may cause injury due to lack of hospital capacity, among others.

Vaccine Implementation:

In addition, while other institutions have developed processes for verifying medical and religious exemptions, there are currently no plans for a review, verification, or approval process for medical or religious exemptions requested by LCC employees or students.
In a nutshell, the college is not requiring students to be vaccinated until Jan, 2022 But hey, the Board of Education has declared us to be a fully vaccinated college!

Oh, and we trust staff and students to be honest about their exemption claims.
More on Fall and Bargaining over Safety and Working Conditions

Your LCCEA Bargaining Team met with the College again today and, together with LCCEF, advocated for better processes in implementing the vaccine requirement in accordance with the Board of Education vote that the mandate take effect for Fall term. However, it is clear that the Administration does not intend for the requirement to be implemented in a manner that requires proof of vaccination status nor requires students who attend in Fall to complete and submit the form without affecting their registration status until Winter term. At the same time, the unions’ joint proposal and the College’s proposal are the same in that both require vaccines or approved exemptions by the beginning of Fall.

The disconnect between the College’s written proposal in bargaining and the College’s actual plans for the vaccine “requirement” implementation is both surprising and deeply concerning, given the implications for the health and safety of the campus and entire community.

:snippity: The LCCEA and LCCEF have jointly proposed that such notice continue in Fall and beyond for in-person exposure to classified or faculty employees, but the College has indicated they do not accept the proposal and wish to make notice only when there is “close contact,” currently defined as less than six feet distance for 15 minutes or more. This means that, for example, a faculty member teaching a class with social distancing in the classroom where a student tests positive would receive no notice.

The College has also rejected the LCCEF-LCCEA joint proposal to provide portable HEPA filters for shared offices and classrooms upon request. Ventilation and air filtration are important strategies to mitigate risk of COVID transmission.

The federal government has allocated $27 Million to LCC, specifically to address costs resulting from the pandemic, which can be used for these relatively minor expenses.

The College has also proposed that unvaccinated employees and students be subject to periodic testing but cannot commit to paying for the testing at this time.
I was so excited to be returning to campus (I'm teaching remotely until Dec, 2021). I had planned to ask my Dept dean to return to classroom teaching in Jan, 2022.

I won't return to campus until my college agrees to keep its previous promises. I can't do so for my and my student's safety.

I'm writing a letter to the college president. It's a waste of time, but at least I will have said something.

I've taught at my college for 23 years. I've never been so disappointed and furious with my college admin in these 23 years.

I'm tremendously grateful for my union. They genuinely care and they work passionately for facility and staff ... and students.

I haven't submitted my vaccination status form yet. I'm want to lie and submit a "philosophical/personal exemption". If the college isn't going to ask anything about exemptions, why should I be honest?

But I'm not that much of an asshole.
Lani

Post by Lani »

:shock:

Our new rules went into effect on Monday morning. Every employee who didn't provide the vaccination card is on the list to be tested weekly. Medical letters & religious exemptions weren't required for current employees. Be vaccinated or be tested.

Some employees rushed to write up a religious exemption for the vaccine, thinking that it would also exempt testing. Lol, no. Also, someone is filing a complaint that the testing is an unwelcome intrusion of the body. :roll:

New employees have to provide their vax card or be tested. Or they can file for an exemption and be tested. Vax or test, no way around it. (Also, the exemption request has to be reviewed before it's approved. Not just rubber stamped.)
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

IMHO a weekly test is truly unsufficient to detect and clamp down on the fast moving Delta variant in time to prevent further spreading. One easy to implement precaution would be a temperature check at the entrance for everyone. Such reading stations are already in use at many places.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Eastern Oregon school superintendent fired for saying the district would adhere to the state wide school mask mandate.
Adrian School Board fires superintendent for obeying state's mask mandate
The decision to fire Kevin Purnell as superintendent of the Adrian School Board came after a closed-door session on Monday, Aug. 30. The board chair said the termination came because Purnell didn't follow board directives and was requiring local schools to comply with Gov. Kate Brown's mask mandate.
https://www.malheurenterprise.com/posts ... al-meeting
tek

Post by tek »

Friend across the street got word this morning that her fourth-grader was exposed to covid at school.. gettin' close to home..
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:52 am IMHO a weekly test is truly unsufficient to detect and clamp down on the fast moving Delta variant in time to prevent further spreading. One easy to implement precaution would be a temperature check at the entrance for everyone. Such reading stations are already in use at many places.
That's not even useful with Delta because not everyone runs a fever, and a lot of people who do don't run it all the time. It might spike for 30 minutes then go back to normal for half the day.
LM K

Post by LM K »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:52 am IMHO a weekly test is truly unsufficient to detect and clamp down on the fast moving Delta variant in time to prevent further spreading. One easy to implement precaution would be a temperature check at the entrance for everyone. Such reading stations are already in use at many places.
:yeahthat:

Biweekly testing is necessary. Asymptomatic spread is too frequent with delta.

At my college, everyone is supposed to submit an online symptom check form before coming to campus. It's better than nothing.

I would love it if the college provided a thermometer to every student. I might contact my union about this idea.
Jim

Post by Jim »

11-year-old placed on ventilator with COVID as Texas mom blames in-person school Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article253879273.html#storylink=cpy
“I am so distraught over this,” Terri Gurganious wrote on Facebook, posting a picture of her daughter on the ventilator. “If we kept our kids home and not sending exposed kids or faculty to school this wouldn’t have happened.”

The mom hopes for school to shut down or for classes to be taught virtually. But the school district wrote in its 2021 Return to School Plan that it will not offer remote instruction this school year except to COVID-positive students.

The district could also go to virtual learning if “community transmission” of COVID-19 justifies it, but the plan doesn’t specify what rate of infection would trigger such a change.

Parents in the school district have the option of sending their children to school in masks. The district is also not requiring maskwearing for staff members.

Because of funding issues, “there’s no other option” but to continue in-school classes instead of doing virtual learning, Buna ISD superintendent Donny Lee told KBMT.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coro ... rylink=cpy

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”