Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus and the Schools

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus and the Schools

Post by AndyinPA »

https://nbc-2.com/news/health/covid/202 ... n-10-days/
Fifteen staffers of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools District have died from COVID-19 in the past 10 days, officials said.

Sonia Diaz, a spokesperson for several unions in the school district, confirmed the number of deaths to affiliate NBC6.

One of the educators that lost their life to COVID-19 was Abe Coleman, a teacher for more than 30 years. “It’s a tremendous loss. The number of lives that he impacted are countless. So many young men had the benefit of him intervening in their lives and pointing them in the right direction,” said Marcus Bright, with 5000 Role Models of Excellence.

Coleman was also a mentor and Site Director for the 5000 Role Models of Excellence Program, overseeing the Holmes Elementary location. He helped shape the lives of hundreds of young men over the years in the organization that mentors minority men in Miami-Dade County.

Officials haven’t released the identities of the other teachers or staff members, and a Miami-Dade County Public Schools spokesperson said the district doesn’t release the cause of death for employees or students.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Trump-loving school board member says it's not her duty to protect kids: 'God decides who lives or dies'
https://www.rawstory.com/barbara-crosby-school-board/

She walked out in protest bc she wasn't given an opportunity to vote to end covid restrictions.
"Now, I hope and pray our kids don't get deathly ill or we don't lose any children," Crosby told WCSC anchor Raphael James afterward. "But you know what? That's not my -- that's up to God."
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:07 pm https://nbc-2.com/news/health/covid/202 ... n-10-days/
Fifteen staffers of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools District have died from COVID-19 in the past 10 days, officials said.
M-D is one of the two (blue) districts that DeathSentence is (trying to?)* withhold funding for defying his mask mandate, despite there being another 10 or more red districts that also have implemented the mandates, including us, just last week. When asked about the possibility of losing funding, our officials said keeping the kids safe is more important than the money.

*If I understand correctly, the guv has appealed the judge's ruling against his no-mandate mandate but until that's settled, he can't withhold the $$.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:30 am.
"Now, I hope and pray our kids don't get deathly ill or we don't lose any children," Crosby told WCSC anchor Raphael James afterward. "But you know what? That's not my -- that's up to God.”
I know it’s been mentioned before but is it really too much of stretch for these religious people to consider that maybe their god sent the scientists and the vaccine?
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... ut-of-mask
A federal judge on Friday blocked Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee's (R) executive order allowing students to opt out of school mask mandates.

U.S. District Judge Sheryl H. Lipman ruled in favor of two students and issued a temporary restraining order against the governor’s order in Shelby County.

"Plaintiffs have identified ways that they have been excluded from participating in school programs and activities, including from physical education classes, and socializing with their peers when within the school buildings and at lunch," Lipman wrote in the ruling.

The two students who brought the court case against the executive order are ones who are more vulnerable to the coronavirus due to medical conditions.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

"Now, I hope and pray our kids don't get deathly ill or we don't lose any children," Crosby told WCSC anchor Raphael James afterward. "But you know what? That's not my -- that's up to God."
STFU.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Well shut my mouth. DeathSantis IS going after our red school district.

https://www.winknews.com/2021/09/03/sta ... k-mandate/
State investigating Lee County Schools over mask mandate

Florida’s Department of Education initiated an investigation into The School District of Lee County Friday over its recently implemented mask mandate, which the state claims violates a parent’s right to opt out. According to a letter WINK News obtained from a school district source, DOE threatens to withhold money from the district if it doesn’t act.

In his letter, Corcoran asserts the inability for parents to opt out of the mask mandate — unless schools within the The School District of Lee County are provided with a doctor’s note — is non-compliant with a Florida Surgeon General emergency rule adopted by Florida Department of Health Aug. 6.

“Parents have a fundamental right to direct the upbringing, education and care of their minor children,” Corcoran wrote in the letter.

Sure, and if you don't like the way the public school system is being run, enroll in a private school or home-school them you stupid mofo.

I may have mentioned this already, but the school district north of us, Charlotte County, has no mask mandate and they just lost a student to covid.

How many dead students and teachers will it take? Is there even a number?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 pm
I quit asking that after Sandy Hook.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:07 pm Fifteen staffers of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools District have died from COVID-19 in the past 10 days, officials said.
How many vaccinated people have died again? I can't keep up. :roll:

People in other countries desperately want to get vaccinated. We are so lucky here that we can walk into a Safeway, CVS and so many other places and get a free, life-saving vaccine.

What is wrong with people?
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:20 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 pm
I quit asking that after Sandy Hook.
Me too. And again after Parkland.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

LM K wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:31 pm My union has invited me to speak before the Board of Education this month. I have lots to say. They're glad I have lots to say.

One specific issue my union has asked me to discuss is the "personal/philosophical" vaccine exemption. I have lots to say about that, too.
That's great. Can't wait to hear how it went.

Vanderbilt Faculty & Staff Health and Wellness - Immunizations and Religion
Jehovah's Witness - Note: This denomination originally denounced vaccination, but revised this doctrine in 1952. An article in a recent issue of the church's newsletter promotes vaccination to avoid infectious diseases.

--snip--

Dutch Reformed Congregations - This denomination has a tradition of declining immunizations. Some members decline vaccination on the basis that it interferes with divine providence. However, others within the faith accept immunization as a gift from God to be used with gratitude.
https://www.vumc.org/health-wellness/ne ... d-religion

Covid vaccine exemptions should be no different from other vaccine exemptions. They need to be REAL, not just realized in the last year.

Everything about Covid-19 should be treated as other communicable diseases are except Covid-19 is more contagious, severe and FATAL!

I worked in infection control after my injury. We Tracked and traced all report-able communicable diseases: Norovirus, salmonella, MRSA, you name it. This should have been done from the start and Covid would never have gotten so out of control in the US.

Measles is nipped in the bud whenever it appears.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Sequoia32 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:22 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:07 pm Fifteen staffers of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools District have died from COVID-19 in the past 10 days, officials said.

People in other countries desperately want to get vaccinated. We are so lucky here that we can walk into a Safeway, CVS and so many other places and get a free, life-saving vaccine.

My daughter came home from Brazil this summer specifically to get her vaccine. She reports that close to 60% of her students (most all of them have dual citizenship) also came home for the jab this summer. She got off the plane in ATL and had her first dose at the Kroger across the street from the airport within an hour of landing.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 pm Well shut my mouth. DeathSantis IS going after our red school district.

https://www.winknews.com/2021/09/03/sta ... k-mandate/
State investigating Lee County Schools over mask mandate

Florida’s Department of Education initiated an investigation into The School District of Lee County Friday over its recently implemented mask mandate, which the state claims violates a parent’s right to opt out. According to a letter WINK News obtained from a school district source, DOE threatens to withhold money from the district if it doesn’t act.

In his letter, Corcoran asserts the inability for parents to opt out of the mask mandate — unless schools within the The School District of Lee County are provided with a doctor’s note — is non-compliant with a Florida Surgeon General emergency rule adopted by Florida Department of Health Aug. 6.

“Parents have a fundamental right to direct the upbringing, education and care of their minor children,” Corcoran wrote in the letter.

Sure, and if you don't like the way the public school system is being run, enroll in a private school or home-school them you stupid mofo.

I may have mentioned this already, but the school district north of us, Charlotte County, has no mask mandate and they just lost a student to covid.

Disgusted to hear this, but not of course surprised. Hope Lee Cty schools stand firm.

I read yesterday that he had called mandatory vaccines some horrid nickname. Can't remember (if anyone can find it, I'd appreciate it). Implying that forcing people who'd (claimed to have) had COVID to get a vaccine was some sort of medieval brutality or totalitarian nightmare.

Yeah, because parents all the time when they enroll their kids in school say, "I don't have to get that MMR vaccine, my kids had all those, so they have immunity." And schools go, oh, okay, come right in. Right.

Can't even remember the shots I got to wander around Africa. I should have just been smart an told the immigration officers at the airport that I'd had all that stuff. :bored:

The idiot arguements...that's what drives us insane.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Covid is rapidly spreading to more children here. (I think child is defined as 17 or younger on our statistics.) Yesterday: 41% of new cases were children.
It keeps going higher.

Before the vaccines were available, the vast majority of residents protected our kupuna (seniors, usually late 70's-104 yo). We did everything we could - meal deliveries, welfare checks, visits (outside w/ kupuna sitting in the doorway & phone calls), provided tablets and internet (and training), etc. And most people here continue to provide extra support.

But too many people insist that kids don't get infected, and if they do it will be minor. Yesterday I posted about asymptomatic covid causing long term health problems. http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3d5#p44193
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:41 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 pm Well shut my mouth. DeathSantis IS going after our red school district.

Disgusted to hear this, but not of course surprised. Hope Lee Cty schools stand firm.

I read yesterday that he had called mandatory vaccines some horrid nickname. Can't remember (if anyone can find it, I'd appreciate it). Implying that forcing people who'd (claimed to have) had COVID to get a vaccine was some sort of medieval brutality or totalitarian nightmare.

Yeah, because parents all the time when they enroll their kids in school say, "I don't have to get that MMR vaccine, my kids had all those, so they have immunity." And schools go, oh, okay, come right in. Right.

Can't even remember the shots I got to wander around Africa. I should have just been smart an told the immigration officers at the airport that I'd had all that stuff. :bored:

The idiot arguements...that's what drives us insane.
Portia - I don't have the link but I remember the statement. He said it was anti-science not to let someone who had covid, but not the vax, into school. For a guy who got into Harvard, he's pretty fucking stupid.

Lani - I also saw, here in FL,* adult infections are finally starting to (slightly) drop but child infections are skyrocketing. We now have more children under 12 reported infected daily, or is it weekly,** than adults.

* (a few days back, no link right now)

**it's hard to keep track since DeathSantis is fucking with the numbers. Reports are always a week behind so it always looks like it was bad LAST week but look how good this week is.
somerset

Post by somerset »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:36 pm
Sequoia32 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:22 pm

My daughter came home from Brazil this summer specifically to get her vaccine. She reports that close to 60% of her students (most all of them have dual citizenship) also came home for the jab this summer. She got off the plane in ATL and had her first dose at the Kroger across the street from the airport within an hour of landing.
Same with my stepdaughter when she arrived here from the Philippines.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Lani

Post by Lani »

Every kindergarten teacher at this San Antonio school reportedly positive for COVID-19
Parents found out from one another, not the school.
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/educa ... 434465.php
All kindergarten teachers at Kinder Ranch Elementary, part of Comal ISD, tested positive, according to a report from mycanyonlake.com. The COVID-19 cases were confirmed and news was shared on Open Comal Schools Safely, a Facebook page dedicated to updates on the school district.

:snippity:
Comal ISD does not currently require students or staff to wear masks.

The Canyon Lake news website also spoke to a Kinder Ranch parent who volunteers at the school and asked to remain anonymous. She says the Kinder Ranch parents have relied on each other for information due to a lack of communication from school officials. The parent also says this update came from another parent of a kindergarten student, not the district.

In addition to the positive cases among kindergarten teachers, a third grade teacher is currently hospitalized due to COVID-19 complications, the parent says.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:49 pm
There is hope in our younger generation...despite what my parents said about mine [yeah we Gen Xers totally dropped the ball in some cases].

Those parents need a harsh reminder that their kids will determine what nursing home they end up in....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

15 Miami-Dade Public School Staff Members Die Of COVID In Just 10 Days
A 30-year teaching veteran was one of 15 Miami-Dade County public school staff members who died of COVID-19 in just 10 days as Florida continues to reel amid the continuing, overwhelming toll of an unfettered pandemic.

“It’s a tremendous loss,” said a school official, referring to the death of long-time teacher Abe Coleman, 55, earlier this week.

Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has dismissed the importance of COVID-19 vaccinations and signed an executive order banning mask mandates at schools, issued no comment on the astounding death rate in the county schools system.

The state Health Department was sued earlier this week by the Florida Center for Government Accountability and Democratic state Rep. Carlos Guillermo Smith for not providing detailed, daily statistics about Florida’s surging COVID-19 cases in violation of the state’s open-records laws.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/15-schoo ... b0ad99a1ca
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scary. :eek:

Also infuriating. :mad:
Lani

Post by Lani »

This is not going well.
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama schools reported more than 9,195 virus cases in students and staff in the past week, a surge that has caused more schools to make a temporary switch to remote learning.

A state dashboard was updated Friday with information from 84 of the 143 school districts. Superintendent Eric Mackey first disclosed the number during an event Thursday with the Medical Association in Alabama.

Mackey said the statewide spike in COVID-19 cases — fueled by the highly contagious delta variant — came at the same time schools were opening for the academic year.

“We had dozens of students sent home on the first day of school, and then more and more," Mackey said. “Now we have scores of campuses that are closed to in-person instruction."
https://www.fox10tv.com/news/coronaviru ... id=1003439
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Parents and grandparents need to remember this come the next election.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”