Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

International Effects of Covid-19

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: International Effects of Covid-19

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters
@Reuters
Indian authorities scrambled to shore up supplies of medical oxygen to hospitals in the capital, Delhi, as a fast-spreading second wave of coronavirus stretched medical infrastructure to breaking point, officials and doctors said
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters
@Reuters
U.S. adds about 100 countries to its 'Do Not Travel' advisory list http://reut.rs/2QOdyTd
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I see Spain is now on the list. My trip to Portugal and Spain is probably not happening, although it's not until October. :(
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

BBC News (UK)
@BBCNews
Delhi hospitals run out of oxygen supplies

https://t.co/K9mKc5Em9Y?amp=1
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Salman Rushdie
@SalmanRushdie
Dear
@potus
@JoeBiden
- the US has something like a vaccine glut. India is in dire straits. Please overturn this export ban ASAP.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-26/ ... /100094812

Spanish man charged with allegedly infecting 22 people with coronavirus

A Spanish man with COVID-19 symptoms who coughed on work colleagues and told them “I’m going to give you all the coronavirus” has been charged with intentionally causing injury after allegedly infecting 22 people.

Key points:
The man showed symptoms days before the outbreak, but refused suggestions to go home and self-isolate, police said
He reportedly infected five colleagues, who then transmitted the virus to their family members, including three infants
A judge charged the man, who was not identified by police, and released him on Saturday evening to await trial

Spanish police said their investigation began after a COVID-19 outbreak at the company where the 40-year-old man worked on the Mediterranean island of Mallorca.

Days before the outbreak, the man showed COVID-19 symptoms but refused his colleagues’ suggestions to go home and self-isolate, police said in a statement.

After work, and showing no improvement, he went for a PCR test before visiting a gym and returning to work the next day.

Though his superiors told him to go home after he allegedly had showed a temperature of 40 degrees Celsius, the man refused.

He walked around his workplace, lowering his face mask and coughing on people, saying “I’m going to infect you all with the coronavirus”, according to police.

At the end of the day, his PCR test came back positive.

His colleagues were then tested, with five returning positive results.

They in turn infected family members, including three infants, police said.

At the gym the man visited, three people tested positive and also infected family members.

None of those infected required hospitalisation, police said.

A judge charged the man, who was not identified by police, and released him on Saturday evening to await trial, Spain’s Europa Press news agency reported.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/worl ... e=Homepage
BRUSSELS — American tourists who have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 will be able to visit the European Union over the summer, the head of the bloc’s executive body said in an interview with The New York Times on Sunday, more than a year after shutting down nonessential travel from most countries to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

The fast pace of vaccination in the United States, and advanced talks between authorities there and the European Union over how to make vaccine certificates acceptable as proof of immunity for visitors, will enable the European Commission, the executive branch of the European Union, to recommend a switch in policy that could see trans-Atlantic leisure travel restored.

“The Americans, as far as I can see, use European Medicines Agency-approved vaccines,” Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission, said Sunday in an interview with The Times in Brussels. “This will enable free movement and the travel to the European Union.

“Because one thing is clear: All 27 member states will accept, unconditionally, all those who are vaccinated with vaccines that are approved by E.M.A.,” she added. The agency, the bloc’s drugs regulator, has approved all three vaccines being used in the United States, namely the Moderna, Pfizer/BioNTech and Johnson & Johnson shots.
I don't think I'm quite ready for that, although we have a trip planned to Portugal and Spain in October.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

These "vaccination certificates" are still a very gray area I would think. Who will issue them? People who have already been vaccinated have some record of it? How easy will they be to forge? People who have received Chinese and Russian vaccines are indefinitely locked out of Europe? :shrug:
"The dumber than dirt American we screwed to to floor"
Lani

Post by Lani »

HST's Ghost wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:22 am These "vaccination certificates" are still a very gray area I would think. Who will issue them? People who have already been vaccinated have some record of it? How easy will they be to forge? People who have received Chinese and Russian vaccines are indefinitely locked out of Europe? :shrug:
There's some info in the Coronavirus vaccine file. Fake certificates are being sold on various websites, and some of them are printed on blank CDC certificates.

States are trying to come up with a vaccination passport, but a national data basis is necessary. And, of course, Q-uacks are already up in arms about it.

In Hawaii, all vaccinations are on record with DOH. Starting May 11, residents with their certificates can fly interisland with no restrictions because certificates can be confirmed. (Still have to follow the rules on each island - small groups, wear a mask, etc.). Everybody else must have a pre-travel negative Covid-19 test.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-27/ ... /100071086

New Zealand's vaccination program is built on Pfizer and a plan to take it slow

All New Zealanders are likely to get the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine and that clarity has generated a lot of trust in the rollout, but as winter approaches there is anxiety in some vulnerable communities.

Key points:
New Zealand COVID-19 vaccination rollout built around the Pfizer vaccine
Experts say the rollout is slow, but the government has "delivered on what they promised" so far
The rollout ramps up in July when vaccinations are to be offered to the general population
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

U.S. to share up to 60 million doses of AstraZeneca's vaccine with countries amid rising pressure to help vaccinate world population

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/stat ... 1600401408
Hic sunt dracones
HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

Some more information on proposed vaccine passports:
Japan to introduce 'vaccine passports' for international travel

Japan plans to introduce "vaccine passports" to make it easier for people who have been inoculated against COVID-19 to travel internationally, government sources said Wednesday.

The passports are expected to be in the form of a smartphone app, with travelers scanning a QR code at the airport before boarding a flight or when entering the country.

The government is moving forward with the plan in the hope of resuming business travel, which has virtually stopped during the pandemic, to shore up the world's third-largest economy.

Taro Kono, the minister in charge of Japan's vaccination efforts, said last month the government may consider introducing such a system if pressed by other countries. In the past he has warned that it could lead to discrimination against people unable or unwilling to receive a COVID-19 shot due to potential allergic reactions or side-effects.

To allay such concerns, people will also be able to record negative results from polymerase chain reaction and antigen tests using the passports, the sources said.

The app will link with the Vaccination Record System, a government database of people who have received shots. It could be based on or similar to CommonPass, an app developed with the involvement of the World Economic Forum.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... passports/
There's some stuff about Japan opening to tourists in the summer, even though they have already stated there will be no foreign spectators at the Olympics, so I will stick with the info. I am hearing that Japan won't make major opening moves until fall, when there are elections, and the slow rollout of vaccine in Japan will probably require some time into 2022 to cover enough of the population.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -hospitals
The U.S. told its citizens to get out of India as soon as possible as the country’s Covid-19 crisis worsens at an astonishing pace.

In a Level 4 travel advisory --- the highest of its kind issued by the State Department -- U.S. citizens were told “not to travel to India or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so.” There are 14 direct daily flights between India and the U.S. and other services that connect through Europe, the department said.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Reports on the ground claim that the India covid death rate is far higher than the government's reported deaths. The hospitals are turning away people, and most people die at home anyway. Cremations are going on around the clock.
Millions of Hindu devotees celebrated the festival of Holi across the country at the end of March, disregarding social distancing guidelines and masks.

Modi and other politicians spearheaded mammoth election rallies where tens of thousands participated without masks. And millions more gathered by the Ganges River for special Hindu prayers as recently as last week.

Now it’s suspected all these events might have accelerated the unprecedented surge India is seeing now.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/beyond-heartb ... 08746.html
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The video of the cremations shown on CNN and MSNBC are horrifying.

I think it's always been clear that India could not handle the pandemic well. It has a RWNJ at its head; there's not a lot of infrastructure; medical care is often lacking; and there are just sooooooooooo many people, who often live in multi-generational households. It's the worst best possible combination for the virus to spread. I also never trusted the numbers, but I really think they are under-counted everywhere. We will never know the true world numbers for this pandemic, but it might be possible to make an educated guess at some point.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... pe-travel/
Buoyed by robust passenger demand and concern that the United States is falling behind other countries in reopening to visitors, a coalition of travel industry organizations is renewing its push for the U.S. government to allow more international travelers.

The groups, including Airlines for America, the U.S. Travel Association and unions representing pilots and flight attendants, say the United States should have a “risk-based data-driven” plan to ensure the industry isn’t caught off guard when restrictions are lifted. The travel industry is hoping for a departure from the Trump administration’s handling of such policies, in which abrupt changes often left officials scrambling to respond.

“The entire travel industry, and airlines in particular, like to plan,” said Sharon Pinkerton, senior vice president for legislative and regulatory policy for Airlines for America, which represents major U.S. airlines. “It takes time to pull planes out of storage. Several carriers have announced they’re bringing pilots back — and that takes time.”
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

TIME
@TIME
COVID-19 infections and deaths are mounting with alarming speed in India with no end in sight to the crisis and a top expert warning that the coming weeks in the country of nearly 1.4 billion people will be “horrible”
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I saw video on CNN this morning. It's already horrible. :crying:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

There must be an element of fatalism to India’s inaction. They are so overpopulated, inaction might seem like positive action to those not infected, a once-in-100 years opportunity to make life more manageable.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:eek: :eek: :eek: :?

Rupa Subramanya
@rupasubramanya
New variant discovered discovered in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh is "at least 15 times more virulent than the earlier ones, and may be even stronger than the Indian variants of B1.617 and B1.618. Experts a shorter exposure is enough to acquire the virus". I don't even.
Quote Tweet
The Hindu
@the_hindu
· 22h
Experts say the new prevalent #COVID19 variant, which is being called the AP strain as it was first discovered in Kurnool, is at least 15 times more virulent than the earlier ones, and may be even stronger than the Indian variants of B1.617 and B1.618.
https://trib.al/0bqPE8t

Lani

Post by Lani »

PM Modi decided to make big bucks by selling India's manufactured COVID-19 vaccines to other countries before taking care of his population. Also encouraged large election rallies and religious gatherings.

After a massive increase in cases in late 2020-2021, the figures dropped significantly. People got sloppy about safety, and the government pushed the idea that herd immunity level might have been reached.

Imagine where we would be if the former guy was still in office.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Lani wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 pm
Have you seen the Road Warrior....?
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:13 am
Lani wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 pm
Have you seen the Road Warrior....?
I saw the Road Warrior. Once. A zillion years ago.

But over the past couple of years, it's been playing in my head on a loop.

:hide:
HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

More on the Olympics...
Two different Olympic scenes: Inside and outside the National Stadium

Seated inside Tokyo's new $1.4 billion National Stadium, Sebastian Coe again tried to reassure athletes and skeptical residents of Japan that the postponed Olympics will be safe when they open in just under 11 weeks.

An IOC member and two-time Olympic gold medalist, Coe heads track and field's world governing body World Athletics, which ran a test event on Sunday with 420 athletes - only nine of whom entered from outside Japan to compete.

:snippity:

Outside the stadium, the scene was different with about one hundred "anti-Olympic" protesters marching around the venue in central Tokyo chanting and holding posters that read: "Olympics Kill The Poor" and "Olympics - Just Stop It."

"There is an infectious disease going on and so I think they should spend more money on medical care," said Takashi Sakamoto, who attended the rally. He said he works in warehouses and cleans buildings.

Opposition to the Olympics seems to be rising in Japan, though the small rally belied that. An online petition asking for the games to be canceled attracted 300,000 signatures in just three days and was still climbing Sunday.

Some medical officials in Japan have also suggested the Olympics be canceled, as did the British Medical Journal in a editorial last month. The virus and its spreading variants are taxing Japan's health-care system with only 2% of the population vaccinated.

Despite public opposition, all signs point to the Olympics opening on July 23. Japan has officially spent $15.4 billion on the Olympics - some estimates suggest twice that - and the International Olympic Committee relies on billions in television broadcast income that has been stalled by the pandemic.

https://japantoday.com/category/tokyo-2 ... al-stadium?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Hospitals overwhelmed as Covid cases surge in Osaka
Beds almost at capacity and an estimated 17,000 people with symptoms waiting for treatment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... 1620989514
A surge in coronavirus cases in Japan is forcing exhausted medical workers to make “heartbreaking” decisions about treatment as healthcare services are close to being overwhelmed, medics have said.

In Osaka, at the centre of the country’s fourth wave of infections, hospital beds are almost at capacity and reports say an estimated 17,000 people with virus symptoms are being treated at home or waiting to be admitted to a medical facility. In recent weeks more than a dozen have died before they could be hospitalised.

There are fears the deepening crisis in the western prefecture could be repeated elsewhere in the country, including in Tokyo, which is due to host the summer Olympics in 10 weeks’ time. The last state of emergency was lifted in Osaka a week earlier than in the Tokyo region, where variants are accounting for a rising proportion of new infections.

Eighteen people with Covid-19 have died at home in Osaka, 17 of them since 1 March, while 96% of the prefecture’s critical care beds are full.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”