Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus: Vaccines

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by LM K »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 am
He's correct on many fronts here -- but why is he only saying it now? :confuzzled: He's a convective who is only now speaking up? We are in this place because of people like David Brooks. :talktothehand:
Brooks is conservative. But he left the Repub party. He's a moderate within today's political landscape.

Brooks on COVID
Much of Brook's writing about covid focuses on political division and it's damaging effects on controlling covid. He's been writing about this since March of 2020. Here are a few of his essays.

Pandemics Kill Compassion, Too
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/opin ... ssion.html

Screw This Virus!
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/opin ... ation.html

The Moral Meaning of the Plague
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/opin ... aning.html

The Pandemic of Fear and Agony
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/opin ... xiety.html

We Need National Service. Now.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/opin ... virus.html

If We Had a Real Leader
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/28/opin ... trump.html

America Is Facing 5 Epic Crises All at Once
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/opin ... tests.html

The National Humiliation We Need
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/02/opin ... uly-4.html

Brooks on the GOP
Letter to a Young Republican
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/opin ... oters.html
:snippity:
The party is politically viable, but it is intellectually and morally bankrupt. Under Trump it became an apocalyptic personality cult. But you should know, as I’m sure you do, that there are many Republicans who want to change their party and make it a vehicle for conservative ideas.

These people are energized as never before and feel their whole lives have been preparation for the coming moral, intellectual and political struggle. This is a struggle to create a Republican Party that is democratic and not authoritarian, patriotic and not nationalistic, conservative and not reactionary, benevolent and not belligerent, intellectually self-confident and not apocalyptic and dishonest.
Republicans will beat Trumpism not by confronting it directly but by focusing on policymaking, by becoming a regular party once again. As Senator Ben Sasse put it, it’s to make the Republican Party about more than one dude. You may have noticed that this week, Mitt Romney and Tom Cotton are teaming up on an effort to raise the minimum wage and enforce immigration laws, two plans to boost working class wages. That’s what there needs to be more of.

Will this work? Is the Republican Party salvageable? Nobody knows. Right now Republicans are rallying around Trump because they believe Democrats and the media are going after him. It’s pie in the sky to ask rank-and-file Republicans to denounce the man they’ve clung to. But, as has been observed, we Americans don’t solve our problems, we just leave them behind.
Five Great Things Biden Has Already Done
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/29/opin ... biden.html

NY Times's David Brooks: GOP under Trump is harming every cause it claims to serve
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/3639 ... -claims-to

The Rotting of the Republican Mind
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/26/opin ... ation.html

David Brooks: The GOP is getting worse
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/opi ... 348579002/

Where Do Republicans Go From Here
https://nyti.ms/2Cdq1cs
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Pfizer and BioNTech Initiate Rolling Submission of Biologics License Application for U.S. FDA Approval of Their COVID-19 Vaccine

NEW YORK & MAINZ, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced the initiation of a Biologics License Application (BLA) with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for approval of their mRNA vaccine to prevent COVID-19 in individuals 16 years of age and older. Data to support the BLA will be submitted by the companies to the FDA on a rolling basis over the coming weeks, with a request for Priority Review. The Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) goal date for a decision by the FDA will be set once the BLA is complete and formally accepted for review by the agency.

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is currently available in the U.S. under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) granted by the FDA on December 11, 2020. Since then, the companies have delivered more than 170 million doses of the vaccine across the U.S. Submission of a BLA, which requires longer-term follow-up data for acceptance and approval, is the next step in the rigorous FDA review process.

“We are proud of the tremendous progress we’ve made since December in delivering vaccines to millions of Americans, in collaboration with the U.S. Government,” said Albert Bourla, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Pfizer. “We look forward to working with the FDA to complete this rolling submission and support their review, with the goal of securing full regulatory approval of the vaccine in the coming months.”

“Following the successful delivery of more than 170 million doses to the U.S. population in just a few months, the BLA submission is an important cornerstone of achieving long-term herd immunity and containing COVID-19 in the future,” said Ugur Sahin, M.D., CEO and Co-founder of BioNTech. “We are pleased to work with U.S. regulators to seek approval of our COVID-19 vaccine based on our pivotal Phase 3 trial and follow-up data.”

Pfizer and BioNTech initiated the BLA by submitting the nonclinical and clinical data needed to support licensure of the COVID-19 vaccine for use in individuals 16 years of age and older. This includes the most recent analyses from the pivotal Phase 3 clinical trial, where the vaccine’s efficacy and favorable safety profile were observed up to six months after the second dose. The companies will submit the required manufacturing and facility data for licensure in the coming weeks to complete the BLA.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... 005259/en/
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

FDA permits use of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid vaccine in kids ages 12 to 15
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/10/pfizer- ... to-15.html
The Food and Drug Administration on Monday approved Pfizer and BioNTech’s request to allow their Covid-19 vaccine to be given to kids ages 12 to 15 on an emergency use basis, allowing states to get middle school students vaccinated before the fall.

The U.S. agency granting use of the shot in adolescents will also accelerate the nation’s efforts to drive down infections, public health officials and infectious disease experts say.

The two-dose vaccine is already authorized for use in people 16 and older. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s vaccine advisory committee has scheduled a meeting Wednesday to review the shots for kids. If approved by the CDC as expected, it could be distributed to adolescents as soon as this week.

Acting FDA Commissioner Dr. Janet Woodcock said the decision brings “us closer to returning to a sense of normalcy and to ending the pandemic.” She assured parents that the agency “undertook a rigorous and thorough review of all available data” before clearing it for use in the teens.

The companies said in late March that the vaccine was found to be 100% effective in a clinical trial of more than 2,000 adolescents. They also said the vaccine elicited a “robust” antibody response in the children, exceeding those in an earlier trial of older teens and young adults. Side effects were generally consistent with those seen in adults, they added.

Vaccinating children is seen as crucial to ending the pandemic. The nation is unlikely to achieve herd immunity — when enough people in a given community have antibodies against a specific disease — until children can get vaccinated, health official and experts say. :snippity:
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

My youngest sister is an antivaxxer. I never talk to her cuz she is krazy (not legally but IMHO). Talked to my Mom yesterday cuz that is what one does on Mother's Day. My parents (late 80s) are both vaxxed but won't tell my sister that who lives close to them. I told my Mom that my sis sounds nutz - she said she agrees but won't say that to her cuz Mom and Dad need help with stuff and are worried that my stupid sister won't help her and my Dad if she knows they are vaxxed. These people are so so stupid. My other 2 siblings are not as stupid as her - both been vaxxed.
Lani

Post by Lani »

LM K wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:41 pm
Lani wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:37 pm
LM K wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:48 pm
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

J&J is more convenient and less effective. It's better than nothing, for sure. I've had my Moderna, but if I hadn't and I had a choice, I'd opt for Moderna or Pfizer.
Il factotum
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

zekeb wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 pm J&J is more convenient and less effective. It's better than nothing, for sure. I've had my Moderna, but if I hadn't and I had a choice, I'd opt for Moderna or Pfizer.
Saying without qualification that it is "less effective" is misleading at best. It has never been compared in a cohort study with other vaccines. I think we've had this conversation.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 pm J&J is more convenient and less effective. It's better than nothing, for sure. I've had my Moderna, but if I hadn't and I had a choice, I'd opt for Moderna or Pfizer.
One and done would be easier, but (4 weeks is jab #2, May 27 --same place/time)
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

p0rtia wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:50 pm
Saying without qualification that it is "less effective" is misleading at best. It has never been compared in a cohort study with other vaccines. I think we've had this conversation.
I agree. It is difficult to make that kind of comparison.

However, I think I heard (it might have been Dr. Fauci) that the J & J is a little less likely to prevent the disease altogether, but it is just as effective at preventing serious infection, requiring hospitalization, or death.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

noblepa wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:33 pm
However, I think I heard (it might have been Dr. Fauci) that the J & J is a little less likely to prevent the disease altogether, but it is just as effective at preventing serious infection, requiring hospitalization, or death.
That is what he said. Also, said take any you can get, including the J & J.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I put a magnet on my arm today - it didn't stick. Is my vaccine not effective? I didn't really do that of course.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

CBS News
@CBSNews
New York Yankees say 8 fully vaccinated team members have tested positive for COVID-19
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

scirreeve wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:00 am I put a magnet on my arm today - it didn't stick.
OMG, you probably pulled the chip right out! (It's really small, you wouldn't be able to see it on the magnet.)

Bill Gates is gonna be so pissed at you! :fingerwag:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just saw that Bill Maher, who is fully vaccinated, tested positive for COVID this week and his show had to be cancelled. He says he's having no symptoms and feels fine. It was found during the weekly, pre-show covid tests all the crew has to take. I didn't see whether or not it was followed up with a second test, just in case it's a false positive. I doubt those quickie tests have improved their accuracy rate, but maybe I'm wrong.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Lots of positive tests among asymptomatic vaccinated folks are popping up. Well past the 2wks after second shot. Mostly among group setting where testing is regularly done. Cf sports teams.

It’ll be helpful when the researchers csn get a handle on the transmissibility.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That speaks to how much of the virus is still out there. It doesn't feel so unsafe for me, but for those anti-maskers that's not good news. I'll keep wearing my mask when I feel I have to.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/14/poli ... ssion=true
Washington(CNN) Democratic lawmakers in both chambers of Congress have a 100% vaccination rate against Covid-19, a CNN survey of Capitol Hill found this week, significantly outpacing Republicans in the House and Senate and illustrating the partisan divide over the pandemic.

For Republicans, at least 44.8% of House members are vaccinated and at least 92% of senators are, CNN found.

In a follow-up to a March House-wide survey and interviews with members, CNN confirmed that 312 of the 431 members of the House -- just over 72% of the 431-member body -- have now received a Covid-19 vaccination. Of that, all 219 House Democrats have reported being vaccinated. Among the Republican conference, 95 of the 212 members -- 44.8% -- have said they are vaccinated.

One hundred and twelve Republican offices did not respond to multiple CNN inquires.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Not happy with no more masking for people who are vaccinated. Sure, at home, in places where we know who is vaccinated, where social distancing is possible, outdoor activities, etc. But the US is still far from reaching herd immunity, and anti-vaxers will just say that they are vaccinated.

I realize that the CDC is encouraging people to get the vaccine so they can rip off the masks, too, but it doesn't work that way in our society. The antis will just say they've had the shots. I'm pleased that my state is maintaining the mask requirement.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Thursday during a White House briefing that “anyone who is fully vaccinated can participate in indoor and outdoor activities, large or small, without wearing a mask or physical distancing.”
But within hours [Governor] Ige was holding his own news conference telling reporters that Hawaii’s mask mandate would continue for now and that a better point to stop wearing masks might be when the state reaches herd immunity, when enough of the population has protection from the virus to largely prevent its spread. That point is not exactly known, but scientists have pegged it somewhere above 70% in recent weeks.

We “do recognize for our fully vaccinated individuals it may be OK and healthy and safe to be out and about without a mask,” said Ige. “But clearly, for the benefit of our entire community, it’s better that we continue to wear masks until we get to the point where 70-80% of our community is fully vaccinated.”

Ige stressed that fewer than half of Hawaii residents are fully vaccinated, and it’s not possible to tell who has and hasn’t been immunized, in explaining his decision not to align Hawaii’s policies with CDC guidance. He said he especially wants to see more of the state’s children vaccinated.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/05/ ... ge-by-cdc/

Although my state has the 6th highest rate of vaccination, it's only about 41% for 12 yo and higher. A couple of islands are doing better - about 60% here. We have vaccine clinics open 6 to 7 days a week and evenings. DOH is providing shots in schools now. Volunteers are going door to door with information in multiple languages. But the number of people getting the vaccine has greatly dropped. It's going to take awhile to get it done.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'm still masking up, screw the idiots.
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Lani wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:30 pm Not happy with no more masking for people who are vaccinated. Sure, at home, in places where we know who is vaccinated, where social distancing is possible, outdoor activities, etc. But the US is still far from reaching herd immunity, and anti-vaxers will just say that they are vaccinated.
I've only received jab #1 (May 25 is jab #2). I am planning a trip to the Los Angles area in July just to get the hell out of this house ... and see some family and old friends. But I will still be practicing distancing and masking.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Seims that businesses will need to check vaccine status here. Not final yet. I don't think retail stores will do this but will require masks. I can see how restaurants, entertainment venues might do this. Of course it is easy to fake a vaccine card so not sure how this is gonna work.
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/ ... omers.html
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

scirreeve wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:45 pm Seims that businesses will need to check vaccine status here. Not final yet. I don't think retail stores will do this but will require masks. I can see how restaurants, entertainment venues might do this. Of course it is easy to fake a vaccine card so not sure how this is gonna work.
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/ ... omers.html

Hoo boy, anti-vaxxers are going to have a field day with this one.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I had a mild reaction to the first Pfizer jab and none at all to the second. I worried a little about that. Was I immune to the vaccine? :lol:

However! I feel really good 8 weeks out from full vaxx. After 3-4 weeks I started to notice an issue I’ve had with mild but chronic inflammation was abating. I continued to heal. Today at my first in-person Dr visit in nearly 18 months Doc agreed, said several other patients said the same.

I have White Coat Syndrome. My BP shoots up 30-40 points the minute a Dr enters the room to measure it. 👻 My Doc has strategies, so usually by the end of the visit he has jollied my BP into submission with jokes and stories, to which I add my pitiful bio-feedback efforts. Today, though, the first reading was 123/74, astonishingly good for me.

I’m going to give the vaccine a bunch of the credit because although I don’t eat bread often since I discovered I have a mild wheat allergy I do still occasionally and it’s been almost a year since the tests. I’d been feeling ok; this is a whole level up from ok.

Did anyone else experience something similar? When can I get the booster? :girlbutt:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kate520 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:28 am I had a mild reaction to the first Pfizer jab and none at all to the second. I worried a little about that. Was I immune to the vaccine? :lol:

I have White Coat Syndrome. My BP shoots up 30-40 points the minute a Dr enters the room to measure it. 👻 My Doc has strategies, so usually by the end of the visit he has jollied my BP into submission with jokes and stories, to which I add my pitiful bio-feedback efforts. Today, though, the first reading was 123/74, astonishingly good for me.

I’m going to give the vaccine a bunch of the credit because although I don’t eat bread often since I discovered I have a mild wheat allergy I do still occasionally and it’s been almost a year since the tests. I’d been feeling ok; this is a whole level up from ok.

Did anyone else experience something similar? When can I get the booster? :girlbutt:
Very interesting. I have high BP. I also have massive white-coat syndrome. To the point where I freak out the doctors. I now track my own BP before my PCP appointments. I walk into all my appointments with a chart of the previous month's BPs.

So I have my annual check up in a month, and yesterday I started taking my BP. It was surprisingly low. I can't imagine why the vaxxine would do this, but I'm gonna look around. I know they're saying the vaccine works on a whole range of corona viruses--I think I hear that.
Lani

Post by Lani »

The Seychelles is 60% vaccinated, but still infections are rising. That's not as bad as it sounds
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/14/africa/s ... index.html
Just over a month ago, the Seychelles was so confident with its Covid-19 handling that it dropped restrictions for most tourists.

With few cases and a mass vaccination campaign underway, the tourist-dependent country reopened its borders to almost all international travelers, meaning anyone with a negative PCR test could enter the country without quarantining. It was a crucial step for a country where tourism directly or indirectly generates about 72% of GDP and employs more than 30% of the population. By that point, the country had reported fewer than 3,800 cases and 16 deaths.

Since then, total cases have more than doubled to 9,184 cases and 32 deaths, according to Ministry of Health figures released at a press conference Thursday.
60% vaccinated, 33% of current active cases have been fully vaccinated.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”