Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus: Vaccines

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... e-delivery
US deliveries of the “one-shot” Johnson and Johnson vaccine are set to drop by 85% next week, in a setback to the government’s vaccination campaign.

The Biden administration has allocated just 700,000 J&J doses to states for the week beginning April 12, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a huge drop from the nearly 5m shots allocated the week before.

The decline comes after J&J reported a batch of its Covid-19 vaccines developed in Baltimore had failed quality standards and can’t be used – as Anthony Fauci warned the US is at risk from a new coronavirus surge.

Distribution of the J&J vaccine – which requires just one dose, as opposed to the two-shot Moderna and Pfizer vaccines also authorized for use in the US – has been uneven since it was introduced.

The government allocated 2.8m doses to states at the beginning of March, only for that to drop to 493,000 the next week, but the drop to April 12 is the steepest yet.

The slowdown comes after workers at the plant manufacturing coronavirus shots for J&J and AstraZeneca accidentally conflated the vaccines’ ingredients several weeks ago, the New York Times reported.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

Crap.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

The photo at the top of that story is where ol' Wifehorn and I got our Pfizers. :whistle:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Lani

Post by Lani »

This guy is the White House COVID-19 Data Director. He is very happy.

Screenshot_2021-04-10 Cyrus Shahpar ( cyrusshahpar46) Twitter.png
Screenshot_2021-04-10 Cyrus Shahpar ( cyrusshahpar46) Twitter.png (82.17 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

I had to go to urgent care yesterday (Saturday) morning for an infection. When I went to CVS for prescriptions afterwards I couldn't understand why this usually not particularly busy store was so busy. I finally realised it was people there for their COVID vaccinations. It looked like mainly under 60 years of age, since Colorado vaccination is now open to all adults.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Starting to see some of this in Oklahoma and Texas too.

Isaac Stanley-Becker
@isaacstanbecker
Carteret County in coastal North Carolina is discontinuing a mass vaccination clinic because of a decline in appointments scheduled through its call center. Fewer than a quarter of residents have been vaccinated.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

(CNN)The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the US Food and Drug Administration are recommending that the United States pause the use of Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine over six reported US cases of a "rare and severe" type of blood clot.

This is a breaking news story.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Sounds similar to the AstraZenica problem. All 6 cases were women between 18 and 48. Symptoms developed 6 to 13 days after they received the shot. 6 known cases out of 6 million vaccinations.
Lani

Post by Lani »

This is a fast moving topic. Mass purchases of the vaccine for the US are being cancelled. This will be a setback for the vaccination campaign.

Most European countries are still using AstraZenica, but only for people 60 and over. Australia is using it for people over 50. So far, no bad news.

I heard on tv that Fauci will be speaking about it this morning, but I don't see anything about that on the internet.
The development also throws a wrench into the Biden administration’s plans to deliver enough vaccine to be able to inoculate all 260 million adults in the United States by the end of May. Now federal officials expect there will only be enough to cover fewer than 230 million adults. But a certain percentage of the population is expected to refuse shots, so the supply may cover all the demand.

Federal officials are concerned that doctors may not be trained to look for the rare disorder if recipients of the vaccine develop symptoms of it. The federal health agencies said Tuesday morning that “treatment of this specific type of blood clot is different from the treatment that might typically be administered” for blood clots.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/p ... a-cdc.html
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Caroline Chen
@CarolineYLChen

A few thoughts on this morning's J&J #vax pause.
1. *If* the link is real, it's so rare, it's unlikely to have been confirmed in the trials, since trials don't have millions of ppl. This is why real world monitoring is so important, and I'm glad FDA & CDC are closely watching.

2. . Individual decisions around vaccines are always a risk/benefit calculation. Just a reminder that one's risk of blood clots from #COVID19 itself is still significantly higher.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Brittney Cooper
@ProfessorCrunk
As news of the JnJ vaccine pause due to clots emerges, this article provides helpful context. The AstraZeneca vaccine caused clots in 1 in 250,000 cases while birth control causes them 1 in every 1000 cases!

https://theconversation.com/blood-clot- ... ill-158652
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ben Wakana
@benwakana46
·
49m
KEY POINTS ON J&J

-Pause is out of abundance of caution.

-6 blood clots in 6.8M doses administered.

-Pause will NOT have a significant impact on our vaccination plan.

-We're pushing out 25M Pfizer and Moderna doses each week.

- J&J = less than 5%of the shots in arms in US

One more point on WHY pause now?

Heparin is usually used to treat blood clots.

BUT in this setting, administration of heparin may be dangerous, and alternative treatments need to be given.

So the pause gives the medical community time.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The News Literacy Project
@NewsLitProject
·
28m
1/ NO, Midwin Charles, a legal analyst for CNN & MSNBC, did not have a severe allergic reaction & die just after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine (h/t
@erumors
). She died more than a month after tweeting about getting the vaccine, & her family didn't disclose the cause of death.

2/ Those looking to sow confusion & create vaccine hesitancy use this disinfo tactic often — suggesting that deaths, particularly celebrities', are related to getting the #COVID19 vaccine. Hank Aaron, DMX & Prince Philip are 3 others whose deaths have been questioned this way.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

The death of a 98-year-old recently in bad health is naturally mysterious.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... li=BBnb7Kz

Moderna said Tuesday its Covid-19 vaccine was more than 90% effective at protecting against Covid and more than 95% effective against severe disease up to six months after the second dose.

The new data included cases through April 9 and evaluated over 900 cases, including more than 100 severe cases.

The update brings Moderna a step closer to filing its request for full U.S. approval for its vaccine.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I thank Pfizer for the vaccine that allowed me to see my oldest son and his family last weekend! I needed those little girls' hugs more than I realized.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Screenshot_2021-04-14 .png
Screenshot_2021-04-14 .png (37.53 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

NBC DFW
@NBCDFW
Pfizer CEO Says Third COVID-19 Vaccine Dose Likely Needed Within 12 Months | https://trib.al/n1PCbd8
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's not really a surprise. It's also a reason NOT to laminate your vaccination card.

:thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:57 pm

NBC DFW
@NBCDFW
Pfizer CEO Says Third COVID-19 Vaccine Dose Likely Needed Within 12 Months | https://trib.al/n1PCbd8
I put a reminder in my calendar for one at 6 months, at least as a placeholder.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Moderna claims to be working on a combination Covid19 booster/flu annual vaccine. I suspected that it would come down to this
Il factotum
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

In fact, the move to boosters has been spoken of and taken as a near certainty from the beginning. It just wasn't talked about too much. Trying times and all.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”