Coronavirus: Vaccines

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess that by end of September one can expect 60%+ fully vaccinated.
Lani

Post by Lani »

And that's not enough. 70% is needed for impact, but with the variants a higher rate is necessary.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ok, mark your calendars.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
filly

Post by filly »

I can't wait to get my booster!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:thumbsup:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

Twitter hates me b/c I don't have an account. So I just copied Joe's tweet.

President Biden
@POTUS
23h
United States government official

I’ve already outlined vaccine requirements that will reach millions of Americans. Today, I’m announcing a new step: If you work in a nursing home and serve Medicare or Medicaid enrollees, you will also be required to get vaccinated.

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:56 pm Twitter hates me b/c I don't have an account. So I just copied Joe's tweet.

President Biden
@POTUS
23h

I’ve already outlined vaccine requirements that will reach millions of Americans. Today, I’m announcing a new step: If you work in a nursing home and serve Medicare or Medicaid enrollees, you will also be required to get vaccinated.

YES!!!
Lani

Post by Lani »

I was curious about complaints that the covid vaccines aren't 100% protective. It's just another excuse for not getting vaccinated.

I thought I remembered that no vaccinations are 100% effective. Sometimes people have an immune problem that makes it difficult to produce a strong response, for example. So I took a couple a minutes a quick look into vaccine effectiveness.

Measles - I saw one review that stated 95%. Generally, 97-99%.

Flu - High effectiveness is difficult for the annual flu vaccines because they are being manufactured before there is certainty which strain of the virus will wind up being the one that widely spreads. So there's a big range - 60% to 80+% effective. Every year when another flu vaccination rolls out, the effectiveness is disclosed.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Lani wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:56 pm
President Biden
@POTUS
23h

i.e., EVERY nursing home in America.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:12 pm
Lani wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:56 pm
President Biden
@POTUS
23h

i.e., EVERY nursing home in America.

Are there any nursing homes in America that don’t get Medicare and/or Medicaid funding? I was under the impression that they all did, but I might be mistaken.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Not all do. I don't remember the details but the one the my father in law was in did not. It was a wonderful place though and my mother in law was happy to pay out of pocket. He died a few months ago and the most important thing was that she was happy with his care there. They did have stringent COVID protocols though. She had to visit him through the door while social distancing. He didn't know the difference (Alzheimers) but she did.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

From the American Council on Aging's Medicaid Planning Assistance website -
Do All Nursing Homes Accept Medicaid?

It is estimated that between 80% and 90% of nursing homes accept Medicaid depending on one’s state of residence. Search for Medicaid nursing homes here. While 80% to 90% sounds high, these percentages are very misleading. Nursing homes may accept Medicaid, but may have a limited number of “Medicaid beds”. “Medicaid beds” are rooms (or more likely shared rooms) that are available to persons whose care will be paid for by Medicaid. Nursing homes prefer residents that are “private pay” (meaning the family pays the cost out-of-pocket) over residents for whom Medicaid pays the bill. The reason for this is because private pay residents pay approximately 25% more for nursing home care than Medicaid pays. In 2021, the nationwide average private payer pays $255 per day for nursing home care while Medicaid pays approximately $206 per day.
Yeah, my mom was private pay too, but in a very nice facility which also had residents depending on Medicaid. When Mom passed away in 2017, she was paying about $100K/year.
tek

Post by tek »

The F.D.A. is aiming to give full approval to Pfizer’s Covid vaccine on Monday.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/us/p ... roval.html
raison de arizona

tek wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:26 pm
The F.D.A. is aiming to give full approval to Pfizer’s Covid vaccine on Monday.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/us/p ... roval.html
Finally, NOW all those folks that were waiting for full FDA approval will finally feel safe getting it!

:roll:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:
Maker of Popular Covid Test Told Factory to Destroy Inventory
One of the leading producers of rapid tests purged supplies and laid off workers as sales dwindled. Weeks later, the U.S. is facing a surge in infections with diminished capacity.

By Sheri Fink
Aug. 20, 2021

For weeks in June and July, workers at a Maine factory making one of America’s most popular rapid tests for Covid-19 were given a task that shocked them: take apart millions of the products they had worked so hard to create and stuff them into garbage bags.

Soon afterward, Andy Wilkinson, a site manager for Abbott Laboratories, the manufacturer, stood before rows of employees to announce layoffs. The company canceled contracts with suppliers and shuttered the only other plant making the test, in Illinois, dismissing a work force of 2,000. “The numbers are going down,” he told the workers of the demand for testing, saying it wasn’t their fault. “This is all about money.”

As virus cases in the U.S. plummeted this spring, so did Abbott’s Covid-testing sales. But now, amid a new surge in infections, steps the company took to eliminate stock and wind down manufacturing are proving untimely — hobbling efforts to expand screening as the highly contagious Delta variant rages across the country.

Demand for the 15-minute antigen test, BinaxNOW, is soaring again as people return to schools and offices. Yet Abbott has reportedly told thousands of newly interested companies that it cannot equip their testing programs in the near future. CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens locations have been selling out of the at-home version, and Amazon shows shipping delays of up to three weeks. Abbott is scrambling to hire back hundreds of workers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/us/a ... tests.html
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Person Hospitalized After Taking Livestock Ivermectin From Feed Store To Treat COVID-19

Ivermectin Related to 70% of Poison Control Calls

After this report published, the Mississippi State Department issued a health alert warning about an increase in ivermectin poisoning incidents.

“The Mississippi Poison Control Center has received an increasing number of calls from individuals with potential ivermectin exposure taken to treat or prevent COVID-19 infection,” the alert said. “At least 70% of the recent calls have been related to ingestion of livestock or animal formulations of ivermectin purchased at livestock supply centers. 85% of the callers had mild symptoms, but one individual was instructed to seek further evaluation due to the amount of ivermectin reportedly ingested.”
https://www.mississippifreepress.org/15 ... -covid-19/
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:44 am
Person Hospitalized After Taking Livestock Ivermectin From Feed Store To Treat COVID-19

Ivermectin Related to 70% of Poison Control Calls

After this report published, the Mississippi State Department issued a health alert warning about an increase in ivermectin poisoning incidents.

“The Mississippi Poison Control Center has received an increasing number of calls from individuals with potential ivermectin exposure taken to treat or prevent COVID-19 infection,” the alert said. “At least 70% of the recent calls have been related to ingestion of livestock or animal formulations of ivermectin purchased at livestock supply centers. 85% of the callers had mild symptoms, but one individual was instructed to seek further evaluation due to the amount of ivermectin reportedly ingested.”
https://www.mississippifreepress.org/15 ... -covid-19/
Yep, and reports are that Tractor Supply is out of ivermectin and have signs warning people about taking it. But the fuckers around here are just gonna Mississippi regardless of what they're told. Not to be outdone by the facebook virologists, doctors around the state are also prescribing it off label, and freely admitting they are doing so.

Fuck these people. Fuck all these people.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:51 am
► Show Spoiler
Yep, and reports are that Tractor Supply is out of ivermectin and have signs warning people about taking it. But the fuckers around here are just gonna Mississippi regardless of what they're told. Not to be outdone by the facebook virologists, doctors around the state are also prescribing it off label, and freely admitting they are doing so.

Fuck these people. Fuck all these people.
:think: I wonder if the doctors correctly prescribe the human version? Are Vets (I mean the animal doctors, not the ex army) prescribing what version ?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Good question. Ivermectin is sometimes prescribed for humans to treat worms or other tropical diseases. According to this NIH study, it can be useful in treating covid but at doses far higher than normally prescribed for its intended use.
Rationale
Ivermectin has been shown to inhibit the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in cell cultures.13 However, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic studies suggest that achieving the plasma concentrations necessary for the antiviral efficacy detected in vitro would require administration of doses up to 100-fold higher than those approved for use in humans.14,15 Even though ivermectin appears to accumulate in the lung tissue, predicted systemic plasma and lung tissue concentrations are much lower than 2 µM, the half-maximal inhibitory concentration (IC50) against SARS-CoV-2 in vitro.16-19 Subcutaneous administration of ivermectin 400 µg/kg had no effect on SARS-CoV-2 viral loads in hamsters. However, there was a reduction in olfactory deficit (measured using a food-finding test) and a reduction in the interleukin (IL)-6:IL-10 ratio in lung tissues.20

Since the last revision of this section of the Guidelines, the results of several randomized trials and retrospective cohort studies of ivermectin use in patients with COVID-19 have been published in peer-reviewed journals or have been made available as manuscripts ahead of peer review. Some clinical studies showed no benefits or worsening of disease after ivermectin use,21-24 whereas others reported shorter time to resolution of disease manifestations that were attributed to COVID-19,25-27 greater reduction in inflammatory marker levels,26 shorter time to viral clearance,21 or lower mortality rates in patients who received ivermectin than in patients who received comparator drugs or placebo.21,27

However, most of these studies had incomplete information and significant methodological limitations, which make it difficult to exclude common causes of bias. These limitations include:

The sample size of most of the trials was small.
Various doses and schedules of ivermectin were used.
Some of the randomized controlled trials were open-label studies in which neither the participants nor the investigators were blinded to the treatment arms.
Patients received various concomitant medications (e.g., doxycycline, hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, zinc, corticosteroids) in addition to ivermectin or the comparator drug. This confounded the assessment of the efficacy or safety of ivermectin.
The severity of COVID-19 in the study participants was not always well described.
The study outcome measures were not always clearly defined.
https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines. ... vermectin/

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Wow Slim, that sounds WAY better than some experimental vaccine.
:sarcastic:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My sister-in-law came down with Covid in January and got a doctor to give her Ivermectin. She was much better two days later and attributes it to Ivermectin. Because she and my brother - a vaccinated psychiatrist - have concerns about the vaccine, they haven't gotten their college freshman almost 18-year old daughter vaccinated. They just figure that they'll make sure she gets Ivermectin if she develops symptoms.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

GETTING MY BOOSTER ON TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
raison de arizona

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:13 pm GETTING MY BOOSTER ON TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Woot! Alright!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I would venture a guess that if it's prescribed by and overseen by a physician, it could be helpful, but the idiots running to the tractor store to buy horse-strength are going to discover they've having liver issues a few years down the road.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”