Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus: Vaccines

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
NewMexGirl

Re: Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by NewMexGirl »

I’ve been thinking fondly of Canada since the pandemic began, but in the case of vaccines, I’m happy to still be a US resident. A good friend, who moved to Toronto several years ago, had her first dose of Pfizer yesterday. Her second dose is scheduled for ... mid-August.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I've felt that way about Australia as opposed to the US and wonder if I may a mistake to leave there.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Screenshot_2021-04-15.png
Screenshot_2021-04-15.png (22.66 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

At least 38 people in the islands who completed their COVID-19 vaccine regimen have tested positive, state health officials said Friday.

One of those patients was hospitalized....

Those 38 were among 221,018 vaccinated people in Hawaii who had completed their final dose at least two weeks prior. That’s about 0.02% so-called “breakthrough” cases....

The U.S. has recorded 5,800 breakthrough cases, 74 of which were fatal, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Those cases make up far less than 1% of fully vaccinated people, U.S. News and World Report reported.
https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/04/very- ... in-hawaii/

The odds look good to me! :thumbsup:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Why Are Women Bearing the Brunt of Vaccine Side Effects?
Women are reporting more side effects, from mild nausea to the most rare and severe conditions

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... a-1152206/

Here are some snippets.
Six of the six people who developed a rare blood clotting disorder after being inoculated with the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine were women. Of the 66 cases of anaphylaxis reported after the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, 63 were women. And of the blood clots that have prompted European countries to suspend the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine, two-thirds occurred in women.
When you start to get into the possibility of more severe adverse reactions, like the anaphylaxis, the severe allergic reaction — again, very, very rare: we’re talking about two to four cases per every million doses given — but 97 percent of them have been in women. Blood clots from the adenovirus vector vaccines — again, unbelievably rare — but for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, six of the six women; nine out of 11 for AstraZeneca.

When you’re talking about an allergic reaction like what we’ve seen reported and published for the Moderna vaccine… There were pictures of 12 patients who were studied, 10 of the 12 were women. So it is not to say that none of this happens in men, but it’s shocking how many more women it is. And these are things that maybe aren’t so much about just reporting biases. These are visible. These are more serious.
We’re all still trying to fully understand this, but my hypothesis, based on available data, is that greater immunity in females is the double edged sword. Greater immunity can protect you against a replicating virus, it can provide you with protective immunity following vaccination, but it can also contribute to some of these side effects.
Lani

Post by Lani »

What to do with that vaccination card? Lots of answers in this article. And it's ok to laminate it.

All about your coronavirus vaccine card (and what to do if you lose it)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 1dfb52c170
The primary function of a vaccination card is to serve as a personal immunization record, Moore says, much like your childhood immunization records. “These cards that you’re given when you’re vaccinated are important for you to keep up with because they’re your personal record of what you have had and they remind you of when your next dose is due.”

The cards also can be convenient proof of coronavirus vaccination, but experts emphasize that they are not legal documents and should not be thought of as such at this point in the pandemic. “It is not magical. It is not the only record that exists,”
:snippity:
It is possible, though, that a new supplementary card will be issued for booster shots, so laminating the original would be fine, says William Schaffner, medical director of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases. If you want to avoid modifying the actual card, Ernst suggests laminating a copy.

If you do choose to laminate, take care to ensure that it’s done correctly and doesn’t damage the card in the process. Companies such as Staples and Office Depot and OfficeMax are offering free lamination services for vaccination cards or copies for a limited time.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

The vaccination cards are an annoying size. They are too big for any wallet sleeve I know of. I copied my card and carry the copy with me. The original is with my passport awaiting the moment that I decide to make a run for the border. Not the same border as Gav, though.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

You can find vaccination card holders on Amazon. I'm willing to bet that it won't be long before you can find similar holders at Target, Walgreen's, CVS, etc. I don't know how much I'm going to carry my card, but it would be nice to have it inside a protective piece of plastic.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I have a stack of name tag holders on lanyards from exhibiting at festivals, and one (or several) happen to be the exact size of my vacc card. Maybe they're called badge holders if you buy them? Some have clips, some have pins, and some have rings for lanyards.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Lani wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:09 am I've felt that way about Australia as opposed to the US and wonder if I may a mistake to leave there.
Well the vaccine rollout in Oz is a disaster.

But at least we don't have any community transmission anymore, so vaccination is not an emergency.

However, it would be really nice to start moving towards welcoming tourism and foreign students again.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Lani

Post by Lani »

This is why our vaccination card isn't going to be useful in the near future :mad:
One listing offered eBay customers an “Authentic CDC Vaccination Record Card” for $10.99. Another promised the same but for $9.49. A third was more oblique, offering a “Clear Pouch For CDC Vaccination Record Card” for $8.99, but customers instead received a blank vaccination card (and no pouch). All three listings were posted by the same eBay user, who goes by “asianjackson” — using an account registered to a man who works as a pharmacist in the Chicago area — and all were illegal, federal regulators say. The account sold more than 100 blank vaccination cards in the past two weeks, according to The Washington Post’s review of purchases linked to it.

The listings are a “perfect example” of burgeoning scams involving coronavirus vaccination cards that could undermine people’s safety, as well as the success of the nation’s largest mass vaccination effort, said North Carolina Attorney General Josh Stein. Individuals might use them to misrepresent their vaccination status at school, work or in various living and travel situations, potentially exposing others to risk.
:snippity:
HHS did not respond to questions about health officials’ decision to opt for paper cards and whether that increased the risk of scams. An HHS spokesperson pointed to an October playbook that instructed accredited vaccinators to provide “a completed COVID-19 vaccination record card to every vaccine recipient/parent/legal representative.”

Private-sector organizations, including pharmacies such as Walmart and Walgreens, have recently mounted a push for using digital “vaccine passports” for Americans to prove they’ve gotten shots, arguing such systems would better track vaccinations and protect against fraud. But federal officials have struggled to corral the initiatives and adopt a standardized approach, particularly as the issue has become politicized in recent weeks.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ion-cards/

Facebook & Tik Tok are also pushing fake cards. Some people are selling what seem to be real CDC cards, perhaps taken from a pharmacy that provides shots. One vaccine site volunteer gave a card to her boyfriend.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

My card has the lot numbers printed. Does anyone else’s? Just curious.

My vaccine is also in MyChart.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yes, I have lot numbers on my card. Also the expiration dates for the lots.

WaPo has articles about vaccine passports.

The Latest: Governor bans vaccine passports for Montana
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

Why GOP governors are driving a fight over ‘vaccine passports’
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:40 pm My card has the lot numbers printed. Does anyone else’s? Just curious.

My card has two lot numbers, one for each poke. One lot number is the same as the other, except for two numbers that are switched around. They didn't even want to correct my misspelled name. Accuracy was not high on their agenda. Did they give me the Moderna vaccine or did they shoot me up with Tylan 200?
Il factotum
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

zekeb wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:15 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:40 pm My card has the lot numbers printed. Does anyone else’s? Just curious.

My card has two lot numbers, one for each poke. One lot number is the same as the other, except for two numbers that are switched around. They didn't even want to correct my misspelled name. Accuracy was not high on their agenda. Did they give me the Moderna vaccine or did they shoot me up with Tylan 200?
I wrote my own name, so I hope it’s accurate. :shock:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My understanding is that the old yellow vaccination cards were deemed pretty much useless by the WHO nearly 20 years ago as they figured that of all that were in circulation, more than half of them were forged. That will probably be true of these, too, but I still like having mine. :thumbsup: It feels like a hard-won trophy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Yes - same. But the lot number was printed by hand by the nice National Guard lady that gave me the jab.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
@startelegram
Arlington closes mass COVID-19 vaccination site as demand dwindles
Demand may be dwindling but most people in North Texas are still not vaccinated. :( :mad:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tapper Retweeted
The Lead CNN
@TheLeadCNN
Daily pace of Covid-19 vaccinations drops below 3 million shots per day, as Biden administration tries to gin up enthusiasm for the vaccine
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
@startelegram
Arlington closes mass COVID-19 vaccination site as demand dwindles
Demand may be dwindling but most people in North Texas are still not vaccinated. :( :mad:
To paraphrase my Mom: "Take your vaccines North Texas, there are countries all around the world starving for them."
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Lani

Post by Lani »

Well, I guess the vaccines are working! A couple and their 2 little children visited a neighbor island. Upon return, the kids had covid, hopefully mild. :( But the parents, who were vaccinated, are well.

In another family, 2 people visited friends on a neighbor island and became ill just after return. In a couple of days, all 9 members of the family had covid. (They are being tested to see what variant it is.) The good news if that none of their contacts who were vaccinated have become ill.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:roll: :roll: :roll: Gott vom Himmel you people! The vaccine is free! Go get it!!!!

US Drop in Vaccine Demand Has Some Places Turning Down Doses

https://www.courthousenews.com/us-drop- ... own-doses/
Louisiana has stopped asking the federal government for its full allotment of Covid-19 vaccine. About three-quarters of Kansas counties have turned down new shipments of the vaccine at least once over the past month. And in Mississippi, officials asked the federal government to ship vials in smaller packages so they don’t go to waste.

As the supply of coronavirus vaccine doses in the U.S. outpaces demand, some places around the country are finding there’s such little interest in the shots, they need to turn down shipments.

“It is kind of stalling. Some people just don’t want it,” said Stacey Hileman, a nurse with the health department in rural Kansas’ Decatur County, where less than a third of the county’s 2,900 residents have received at least one vaccine dose.

The dwindling demand for vaccines illustrates the challenge that the U.S. faces in trying to conquer the pandemic while at the same time dealing with the optics of tens of thousands of doses sitting on shelves when countries like India and Brazil are in the midst of full-blown medical emergencies.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:20 am :roll: :roll: :roll: Gott vom Himmel you people! The vaccine is free! Go get it!!!!
Gott im Himmel, unless you mean to say "God from heaven" as opposed to "God in heaven." FIFY. ;)

The vaccine hesitancy/refusal numbers among Republicans are going to be a big problem going forward.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Actually I think I meant "Ach Gott vom Himmel hoch!". ;)
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Send them to Michigan! :prettyplease:

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”