Coronavirus: Vaccines

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

This is why I've missed you, Sam!!!!!!! :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

US employees of United Airlines have until Sept. 27 to either get vaccinated or to apply for an exemption.

The exempt workers will either be reassigned or go on temporary leave until it's safe, "but they won't be in front of customers after Sept. 27," CEO Scott Kirby says.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

An excellent twitter thread about a large Midwest company which mandated vaccinations. In an effort to understand why folks weren't vaccinated, the CEO talked to the unvaccinated. It turned out that the majority of them had minor excuses and now, at this point, 95% of the workforce is vaccinated. About 5% of the workforce are of the "Freedom!" variety and will probably leave the company.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Wow, that's awesome, MN-Skeptic. :thumbsup:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

My hair has always been poker straight. I put it up in a pony tail at the beginning of the pandemic, to keep me from constantly brushing it out of my face, and only take it down to wash it or sleep. Last week I decided to trim it and, lo and behold, I suddenly have curls like The Dude. (One friend called it Farrah Fawcett hair but that's a bit lofty.)

I looked it up and it's a not that unusual side effect of aging, because exposure to radiation and chemo don't apply to me. Also, gray hair tends to be curlier and that's coming in bigly these days. (I also quit coloring it red at the beginning of the pandemic.)

But my plan is to tell everyone who notices that it's from the vaccine. Depending on their reaction, I may fess up.
► Show Spoiler
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Still a chance third shot might be approved for us :oldlady: :oldman: folks.
filly

Post by filly »

Interesting! Fauci was on just the other night and said when the FDA saw *all* the data, he believed they would be compelled to approve the booster, based on the data. I wonder what he's seen that so many of the FDA folks did not?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

filly

Post by filly »

That's good because you could have a rush of people from 63-65 hitting Rite-Aid for a third shot.

Meanwhile:

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Just curious. I haven't seen anything about Moderna. I had Moderna. If I get a booster, is getting Pfizer okay, or do I wait until Moderna is approved for a booster? I know Moderna is behind as it was approved and used later.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:39 pm Just curious. I haven't seen anything about Moderna. I had Moderna. If I get a booster, is getting Pfizer okay, or do I wait until Moderna is approved for a booster? I know Moderna is behind as it was approved and used later.
I don't think they've addressed that yet, but, since there are so many of us who did get the Moderna vaccinations, I'm sure they will be issuing a recommendation for us, whether to wait for the Moderna approval or to get the current Pfizer booster.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Well how about this, really interesting article. Had no idea so many common meds use fetal cell lines. Another excuse bites the dust. https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/09 ... exemption/
OrlyLicious @Orly_licious 5m
#COVID #AntiVaxxers claiming #ReligiousExemptions: Fetal cell lines were also used for Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, Aspirin, Tums, Lipitor, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Maalox, Ex-Lax, Benadryl, Sudafed, Preparation H, Claritin, Zoloft & Azithromycin. Be consistent.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:39 pm Just curious. I haven't seen anything about Moderna. I had Moderna. If I get a booster, is getting Pfizer okay, or do I wait until Moderna is approved for a booster? I know Moderna is behind as it was approved and used later.
It is very ok. Any of the vaccines used in the US or Europe will work well as a booster after any other vaccine. A booster dose of a vaccine acts by presenting the immune system again with the apparent threat to which it previously mounted a response, in this case the spike protein.

There's none of the earlier vaccine left in your body, you're not topping up a reserve of vaccine or something like that. The booster persuades your memory B-cells and memory T-cells to continue and enhance their activity against the apparent threat.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:55 pm
It is very ok. Any of the vaccines used in the US or Europe will work well as a booster after any other vaccine. A booster dose of a vaccine acts by presenting the immune system again with the apparent threat to which it previously mounted a response, in this case the spike protein.

There's none of the earlier vaccine left in your body, you're not topping up a reserve of vaccine or something like that. The booster persuades your memory B-cells and memory T-cells to continue and enhance their activity against the apparent threat.
Thank you.
Lani

Post by Lani »

The UK primarily gave AstraZeneca, but for the booster shots, it's using Pfizer and Moderna.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Still on third doses, mainly for those who love precision (hurrah!) or are annoying pedants (boo!). A few pointettes…

Third doses are becoming established policy in several countries: USA, UK, Austria, France, Germany, Israel, Norway, Sweden amongst them. I think their policies are all similar, and some/most/all are recommending mRNA vaccines for this.

I think (but can't be bothered to check) that I have been sloppy in my use of terminology. This is a third dose of a primary course of immunisation, not technically a booster.

The FHI (Folkehelseinstituttet, the Institute of Public Health) in Norway neatly describes the difference: Personer med nedsatt immunforsvar anbefales en tredje vaksinedose :
The recommendation of an additional vaccine dose [i.e. a third dose] for patients with severely weakened immune systems differs from what is called a "booster dose", which is a refresher vaccine to those who have had a response to the vaccine. Although some countries such as Israel and the United States have offered a refresher to large sections of the population, the knowledge base for this is still very limited. There is a need for more knowledge here.
For legally eagally folk who like others to be precise in their legal terminology, here's an opportunity to be precise in immunological terminology!

So the third dose is part of the primary course building up protection, a booster dose aims to rebuild that protection after it might have diminished with time.

On safety etc. of the third dose, the FHI (link above - it's a good little piece, run it through Google Translate if you can't understand the original):
No adverse reactions have been observed after the third dose in these patient groups [immunocompromised and elderly] other than those previously known after the first and second doses.
Most of the reasoning is (I believe) based on the level of circulating antibodies in the blood, which is relatively easy to measure, but immunologists are aware that it is not clear how well antibody levels are a good correlate or measure of protection, especially against severe disease.

Personal story, not Covid:
► Show Spoiler
Switching topic from three doses to one…

European countries are also moving towards immunizing 12-15 year olds with a single dose of vaccine. Why single? Because young bodies mount a strong immune response to one dose (the opposite of the weakened response in elderly folk) and because a single dose is less likely to provoke side-effects, from the FHI (this one is available in English at 12-15-year-olds will be offered coronavirus vaccination ):
A rare side effect in the form of inflammation of the heart, called myocarditis, has been reported after using mRNA vaccines, especially in younger people. The side effect mainly occurs after the second dose and is temporary, so most people recover within a month.
And we return to boosters…

Will they be needed? Rich countries will start using them out of caution and because their populations won't be happy with experts saying "lower antibody levels doesn't necessarily mean significantly reduced immunity to serious disease".

Anti-vaxxers claim that we don't know about long term side-effects of the vaccine. Well, no, we do, in that no vaccines have side-effects that don't manifest within, say, 6 to 8 weeks maximum. These are safe vaccines.
► Show Spoiler
But what we cannot yet know is the long term trajectory of the immunity in different sectors of the population, because we haven't had enough time to see that; it's not yet a year since non-trials vaccinations started.

And that is also difficult to investigate. Why? Because we are moving from clinical trials, where the patients are well-researched and there are control groups, etc., and detailed analysis and supplementary investigation is possible, to observational studies on the wider population, and they are much, much more difficult. In observational studies there are many confounding variables, and it's difficult for epidemiologists to untangle them to identify the underlying patterns.
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

orlylicious wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:56 pm Well how about this, really interesting article. Had no idea so many common meds use fetal cell lines. Another excuse bites the dust. https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/0 ... exemption/
OrlyLicious @Orly_licious 5m
#COVID #AntiVaxxers claiming #ReligiousExemptions: Fetal cell lines were also used for Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, Aspirin, Tums, Lipitor, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Maalox, Ex-Lax, Benadryl, Sudafed, Preparation H, Claritin, Zoloft & Azithromycin. Be consistent.

https://twitter.com/Orly_licious/status ... 878893575
If Sudafed is made from fetal cell lines, that means they are all going to have to give up crystal meth.
Lani

Post by Lani »

While I lived on the Big Island when Kilauea erupted, we relied on sudafed to help us cope with health problems. No one was concerned about fetal cells.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

My understanding is cause the Pfizer vaccine was the first on the market and intially used to vaccinate the seniors and high-risk people, those applications have reached the end of the first six months "guaranteed" to be most effective. Also too I understand that the Pfizer shot is seriously less effective against the Delta variant. All the reason to offer a booster to the first recipients. I guess once there is a fast, easy and cheap way to evaluate the remaining protection the boost can get applied selectively.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”