Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Spreadnecks: COVIDIOTS, Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaxxers, Etc.

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
p0rtia

Re: Coronavirus Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaccers, Etc.

Post by p0rtia »

She lost me at "government overreach", by which she clearly means "government attempts to defeat a pandemic."

Much of the current GQP grossness and seditious behavior starts with this insane premise.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:32 am
LM K wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:47 pm ... but hats aren't something people buy a lot of.
:oopsy:

:whisper: I have 19. Three are Stetsons. Two are Real Deal Brazil. Lots of ballcaps, zero truckers.
It's possible that some trucker hat has followed me, packed away in some box, since the 70-80s when they were a popular baseball cap.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Lani wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:32 am The vaccine passport isn't even a thing. TSA still requires masks on public transportation. The only thing resembling a passport is proof of vaccination for entry into some countries (and Hawaii) to avoid quarantine. It's not mandatory, but you need a negative test before traveling if you haven't provided proof of vaccination to avoid quarantine. Cruise lines require proof of vaccination to travel on them. No one is sent to a death camp.
Around these here parts, some restaurants ask for proof of vaccination. But they'll let you in without it, it's just mandatory mask for you if you don't have proof. Lots of events require proof of vaccination or a negative test without 72 hours. The dunderheads just want to block off any way they can be blocked from doing whatever they want due to being anti-vax boneheads, there's more of them now.

Personally, I believe businesses should not be prevented from putting in safety rules as they see fit. Don't like it? Eat, shop, recreate elsewhere at some poot stop.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

NBC News wrote: Cruise lines and Florida Gov. DeSantis square off over vaccine passports
Cruise lines are eager to set sail, but a new law championed by Gov. Ron DeSantis banning so-called vaccine passports may keep them anchored.
:snippity:
The GOP, under the influence of former President Donald Trump, has pursued cultural fights that roil its base at the expense of traditional conservative values, like free-market capitalism, with DeSantis, who is considering a presidential bid in 2024, and others picking fights with companies that they say undermine American values.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention gave the go-ahead Wednesday to begin work toward restarting cruises for the first time in over a year after the massive ships became some of the first superspreader locations for the coronavirus.

With populations the size of small cities packed into close quarters, cruise ships are uniquely vulnerable to viral spread. So to comply with CDC guidance and keep passengers and crew members safe, several cruise liners want to require nearly everyone onboard to be fully vaccinated.

But that could now be illegal in Florida, the center of the American cruise industry, under a law DeSantis signed this month that prohibits businesses from discriminating against unvaccinated customers.

"In Florida, your personal choice regarding vaccinations will be protected, and no business or government entity will be able to deny you services based on your decision," DeSantis said of the law, which codified executive orders he had already issued.

The law is the last thing the cruise industry needs, said travel industry analyst Patrick Scholes, managing director of Truist Securities, as they try to reassure passengers that it's safe to return to their all-you-can-eat buffets after 15 months.

"It has been a year of migraines and kicks in the teeth for the cruise industry. Now, they're finally getting ready to restart, and you have the governor of Florida basically playing a game of chicken with them," Scholes said.

The dispute may end up in court, as the cruise industry argues that the state law doesn't apply to it thanks to federal rules. In the meantime, companies may decide to move ahead with plans to require vaccinations, even if it means racking up violations in Florida.

"It might even be cheaper for them to just eat the fines," Scholes said. "They are burning millions of dollars a day having their ships idle."

Florida, which is by far the biggest embarkation point for cruises in the U.S., is home to the headquarters and key infrastructure of several major cruise lines, including Norwegian, whose CEO said the Miami-based company might have to pull its ships out of the state because of the vaccine passport prohibitions.

"We hope that this doesn't become a legal football or a political football. But at the end of the day, cruise ships have motors, propellers and rudders. And God forbid we can't operate in the state of Florida for whatever reason, then there are other states that we do operate from. And we can operate from the Caribbean for ships that otherwise would have gone to Florida," CEO Frank Del Rio said on a recent earnings call with investors and analysts.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... s-n1269029
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

covfefe wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:49 am
NBC News wrote: Cruise lines and Florida Gov. DeSantis square off over vaccine passports
Cruise lines are eager to set sail, but a new law championed by Gov. Ron DeSantis banning so-called vaccine passports may keep them anchored.

"We hope that this doesn't become a legal football or a political football. But at the end of the day, cruise ships have motors, propellers and rudders. And God forbid we can't operate in the state of Florida for whatever reason, then there are other states that we do operate from. And we can operate from the Caribbean for ships that otherwise would have gone to Florida," CEO Frank Del Rio said on a recent earnings call with investors and analysts.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... s-n1269029
Having cruise ships that have destination Carribic (likely origin Canada and Europe) skip a courtesy visit to Florida is a minot issue, having passengers making a visit in uncontained covid landscape of FL may be a problem. On the other hand, the threat that cruise ships may operate out of some other state ought to be a great concern to Florida. The catering industry is a huge supplier for the cruise companies. Once that business gets relocated it will not return so fast again. I guess part of the catering industry will be ready to make the move of some of their facilities. But job losses in FL (or jobs not returning after covid) will be a fact.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

LM K wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:47 pm ... but hats aren't something people buy a lot of.

:whisper: I have 19. Three are Stetsons. Two are Real Deal Brazil. Lots of ballcaps, zero truckers.
:bighug:

There are certainly hat collectors. I LOVE hats. But hat collectors aren't going to be able to save Gaskins' business.

Thank you for not owning trucker hats. I'm not sure our friendship could survive if you owned trucker hats. :batting:

Gaskins must be desperately trying to recover her relationships with businesses. She should be removing names from her home page. Every business highlighted on her homepage has publicly announced, in strongly worded statements, that they are done with Hatwrks.

Damn, based on what is still posted on her business Instagram and Facebook, it's obvious that she hasn't hired a lawyer. Which is stupid. She had time to do so before the holiday weekend started.

She posted this is on her business Instagram in Jan:

"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

If you ever spent $699 on a hat, I'd seriously have to reconsider my respect of you.
LM K

Post by LM K »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:46 pm
Having cruise ships that have destination Carribic (likely origin Canada and Europe) skip a courtesy visit to Florida is a minot issue, having passengers making a visit in uncontained covid landscape of FL may be a problem. On the other hand, the threat that cruise ships may operate out of some other state ought to be a great concern to Florida. The catering industry is a huge supplier for the cruise companies. Once that business gets relocated it will not return so fast again. I guess part of the catering industry will be ready to make the move of some of their facilities. But job losses in FL (or jobs not returning after covid) will be a fact.
Cruise companies will stick to their policy, whatever DeSantos says/enacts. They already have ports in other states.

If the company is going to islands or countries that require tourists to be vaccinated, the cruise company isn't going to bend to DeSantos' bullshit. As the article explains, cruise companies will likely just pay fines to keep operating in FL. It's a big FU to DeSantos. It's not hard for people to travel to a state other than FL to get on their cruise. Nearby states will welcome increased cruise related travel. And once companies increase the use of other states, they aren't going to be as motivated to return to FL.

It fascinates me that so many politicians think that trying to bully businesses in this way is "pro- capitalism". It's absolutely not. Businesses have the right to set their own policies (there are exceptions, but ya get my point).
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:33 pm

If you ever spent $699 on a hat, I'd seriously have to reconsider my respect of you.
What is your obsession with people spending $699 on a hat? How much did you (over)spend on a pair of head phones? Was there something about those particular head phones that made them worth more than the $39.99 model at Target? Maybe FRP can chime in with the cost of a good pair of leather dress shoes. Would you lose respect for him if they're over $100? Over $200? What is the cut off for how much someone can spend on something before they lose your respect? Pretty sure I've already lost it by spending close to $3000 on a sewing machine that isn't even my everyday machine.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Pretty sure I've already lost it by spending close to $3000 on a sewing machine that isn't even my everyday machine.”

I’ve paid for (not used - wouldn’t know where to start) several “sewing” machines and overlockers and wasted money trying to save it, you really do tend to get what you pay for and the best reliable machines are expensive. Stetson hats in the UK seem to cost from around £69 to £400, which seems a lot to me - Hatwrks own “original” designs appear to be their most expensive.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I love hats. I've probably got about a dozen or more of them. The most expensive ones I have are about $80 or so. I have three Tilley's that are super for travel and for every day. It doesn't matter how windy it is; you will not lose it, and it floats if it falls in the water. Tilley has not said anything yet about not selling through them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. They are a Canadian company.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K

Post by LM K »

More companies are severing from Hatwrks. Yesterday, 11 companies had announced that they were severing their business with Hatwrks.

Today, a total of 17 companies have announced they are severing ties with Hatwrks:
Akubra
Atwood Hat Co
Bailey
Brixton
Brooklyn Hat Co
Civil Standard
Dorfman
Giovannio
Goorin Bros
Kangol
Mayser (considering legal action)
Milano
New York Hat Co
Roche
Stefeno
Stetson
Tula

No statement (9 or 11 companies):
American Hat Co
Biltmore (as Tenth Street Hats)
Caps Headwear
Couture Ink*
Dobbs
Doria
Henshel
Magill (turned off social media)
Resistol
Something Special*
Sunbody

Reviewing relationship:
Tilley

*Brands not listed as brands on Hatwrks site before Hatwrks began falling apart.

Most Hatwrks originals are out of stock.

The store website has removed it's "best-sellers", "brands", and "mens" pages.

Hatwrks sells Kentucky Derby hats.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:21 pm What is your obsession with people spending $699 on a hat? How much did you (over)spend on a pair of head phones? Was there something about those particular head phones that made them worth more than the $39.99 model at Target? Maybe FRP can chime in with the cost of a good pair of leather dress shoes. Would you lose respect for him if they're over $100? Over $200? What is the cut off for how much someone can spend on something before they lose your respect? Pretty sure I've already lost it by spending close to $3000 on a sewing machine that isn't even my everyday machine.
Obsession? You misunderstood, which often happens when people aren't talking face-to-face. I was joking on the $699 hats thing. People will spend/splurge on what they like. I got headphones. ($60). FRP probably has some nice dress shoes, but it's kind of a requirement for his job.

I don't know why you took such offense. Did this start with my Mayo aversion?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

LM K wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:20 pm More companies are severing from Hatwrks. Yesterday, 11 companies had announced that they were severing their business with Hatwrks.

Today, a total of 17 companies have announced they are severing ties with Hatwrks:
Akubra
Atwood Hat Co
Bailey
Brixton
Brooklyn Hat Co
Civil Standard
Dorfman
Giovannio
Goorin Bros
Kangol
Milano
New York Hat Co
Roche
Stefeno
Stetson
Tula

American Hat Co
Caps Headwear
Couture Ink*
Dobbs
Doria
Henshel
Resistol
Something Special*
Sunbody

Reviewing relationship:
Tilley

*Brands not listed as brands on Hatwrks site before Hatwrks began falling apart.

Most Hatwrks originals are out of stock.

The store website has removed it's "best-sellers", "brands", and "mens" pages.

Hatwrks sells Kentucky Derby hats.
I've only got 5 fedoras (3 Akubras, 1 'Indiana Jones', and 1 Biltmore) and one panama ( which now needs replacing).

But something that hasn't been mentioned... ya know who buys a lot of epensive hats?. Jewish men. Is it really surprising that manufacturers would take a dim view of their distributor insulting one of their major markets.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona

You don't want to know how much the wife has spent on purses, or me on watches. :bag:
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

“ .. ya know who buys a lot of epensive hats?. Jewish men. Is it really surprising that manufacturers would take a dim view of their distributor insulting one of their major markets.”

I never thought of that. But I’ve never been much of a hat person. Ball caps/hats always ended up back on my head so the brim didn’t do much good. (Harry Anderson Night Court?)
But any well made quality product that holds up is worth the cost.

I got the ribbing directed at Foggy, I’ve been kidded for buying a Dooney-Bourke for my wife, “You spent how much for a purse?!”

Anyway back to lead sentence, at one time all Stetsons were manufactured in our town. It was owned by a company founded by Rosenthal and Pitluck.
Excerpt from archive:

“ Stetson was a welcomed addition by 1971 when the Stevens company purchased the rights to make the well-known hats.

“We thought it was wonderful,” Mr. Rosenthal said. “We were very proud of it. We were the only ones making Stetson.”
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I know a lot of Jewish men (and women). I've never seen that (buying expensive hats).
LM K

Post by LM K »

LM K wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:20 pm More companies are severing from Hatwrks. Yesterday, 11 companies had announced that they were severing their business with Hatwrks.

Today, a total of 17 18 companies have announced they are severing ties with Hatwrks:
Akubra
Atwood Hat Co
Bailey
Brixton
Brooklyn Hat Co
Civil Standard
Dorfman
Giovannio
Goorin Bros
Kangol
Milano
New York Hat Co
Roche
Stefeno
Stetson
Tilley
Tula

American Hat Co
Capas Headwear
Couture Inc*
Dobbs
Doria
Henshel
Resistol
Something Special*
Sunbody

Reviewing relationship:
Tilley

Update: Tilley is now out.

18/28 brands gone.
raison de arizona

neonzx wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:41 pm I know a lot of Jewish men (and women). I've never seen that (buying expensive hats).
Orthodox?
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

gubsuxforliberty or something like that (old OLive days which I miss) found a great video about an Aussie anti masker getting arrested. Fun fact: the arrested dude went to AZ to support Screwie Lewie back in the day.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That Seuss line of hats is ugly is body, spirit, and soul. Imagine how uncomfortable a hat made with pure hate in the milliner’s every stitch must be to wear.

Y’all know I’m not a religious woman, but my first thought about this hate-filled woman who seems so confused about why Stetson’s canceling her was May God have mercy on her soul.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Kate520 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:06 am That Seuss line of hats is ugly is body, spirit, and soul. Imagine how uncomfortable a hat made with pure hate in the milliner’s every stitch must be to wear.

Y’all know I’m not a religious woman, but my first thought about this hate-filled woman who seems so confused about why Stetson’s canceling her was May God have mercy on her soul.
That's what's so odd. She honestly doesn't understand why she's being "cancelled". Thing is, she's not. She's experiencing consequences for her actions. She truly thinks she's the victim.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

scirreeve wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:44 am gubsuxforliberty or something like that (old OLive days which I miss) found a great video about an Aussie anti masker getting arrested. Fun fact: the arrested dude went to AZ to support Screwie Lewie back in the day.
Shame on Vic Police!

You should have arrested the lot of them at the 5 minutes mark!

One of his fans claims that his shoulder was dislocated during his arrest... but that claim needs to be weighed against his patently false claims.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 57wa1.html

included photos of him resisting arrest on 29/5/21

"Police have tackled a number of men to the ground and arrested 14 people after an anti-lockdown and vaccination protest near Melbourne’s CBD attracted 150 people, then turned violent on Saturday afternoon.

All gatherings, including protests, are banned under Victoria’s lockdown restrictions as the state grapples with a fresh outbreak of coronavirus.

A heavy police presence surrounded Flagstaff Gardens from the start of the protest, where about 50 attendees against vaccinations and Victoria’s seven-day lockdown gathered at noon.

At least 12 people were arrested within the first hour of Saturday’s protest for allegedly assaulting police, affray and breaching the Chief Health Officer’s directions.

“One of the alleged offenders was also injured during the incident,” the spokesman said. “In total 55 people were issued penalty notices in relation to breaching CHO directions.”

Fines of $1492 apply to those who break lockdown restrictions."
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

covfefe wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:04 pm
neonzx wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:41 pm I know a lot of Jewish men (and women). I've never seen that (buying expensive hats).
Orthodox?
No, not orthodox. Are they the ones buying $699 hats? :lol:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kate520 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:06 am That Seuss line of hats is ugly is body, spirit, and soul. Imagine how uncomfortable a hat made with pure hate in the milliner’s every stitch must be to wear.

Yeah, pretty unfortunate looking. But I do have to say it's a bit impressive is she actually is a milliner. From what I can gather at least some of their hats are hand made and the ones listed in the Seuss line appear to be originals. Samples, testing techniques or new dye colors, whatever, they wind up with one of a kind hats. Making hats by hand isn't the easiest thing to do and it is a dying art. It's a shame she has such an obviously marketable skill and has apparently tossed it out the window because she is a complete idiot. This business doesn't look to be a mom-and-pop hat reseller, but rather an actual hattery.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”