Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:17 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:20 pm
My son had his post chemo and radiation scan this morning and it's all clear. They'll schedule him for surgery to reverse the colostomy soon and he goes back for his next scan in 6 months. I've been crying tears of joy all day.
ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! :bighug:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
My son had his post chemo and radiation scan this morning and it's all clear. They'll schedule him for surgery to reverse the colostomy soon and he goes back for his next scan in 6 months. I've been crying tears of joy all day.
Wonderful news!

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:37 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
So happy that you’re happy. May things only get better and better for him. :bighug:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:54 pm

vic wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:13 pm
Things have gotten complicated. They now say that Saturday I had pneumonia which ran all the way into toxic shock which led to my drastic drop in blood pressure.

They’re not sure of the specific infectious agent which has given me the pneumonia but they have found at least one. I’m on multiple antibiotics which among other things cover the one they have found. They did a CAT scan of my lungs today. Earlier they mentioned the possibility of a biopsy but I haven’t heard any more.

They’ve been discussing what I will need at home when I’m released. Hospital bed downstairs, a walker, and most significantly some type of caregiver what I would need from the caregiver I don’t know yet. They don’t think I’ll be able to go up and down stairs for a while which is problematic because everything like my computer is upstairs and the computer is not just how I get to the Internet of course but where I keep track of my bills and I’m doing my tax return and everything else.

My brothers taking the train up from San Diego tomorrow so he can help with getting a caregiver and the transition.
The stair issue is all-too-familiar but for different issues.

As we age, navigation becomes a more and more daunting task we really can't control. We were fortunate to anticipate the risk of stairs before a catastrophe and we bit the bullet and moved to a one-floor home even though it was an economic hit. As Mother Nature is wont to do, her dominance has prevailed on our health but at least we no longer risk the navigation of a two story house. We are reminded almost every day that we made the right decision to move.

In short - stairs are dangerous and can ruin your life and that of your family in a matter of seconds.
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

vic

Post by vic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:15 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:54 pm
vic wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:13 pm
Things have gotten complicated. They now say that Saturday I had pneumonia which ran all the way into toxic shock which led to my drastic drop in blood pressure.

They’re not sure of the specific infectious agent which has given me the pneumonia but they have found at least one. I’m on multiple antibiotics which among other things cover the one they have found. They did a CAT scan of my lungs today. Earlier they mentioned the possibility of a biopsy but I haven’t heard any more.

They’ve been discussing what I will need at home when I’m released. Hospital bed downstairs, a walker, and most significantly some type of caregiver what I would need from the caregiver I don’t know yet. They don’t think I’ll be able to go up and down stairs for a while which is problematic because everything like my computer is upstairs and the computer is not just how I get to the Internet of course but where I keep track of my bills and I’m doing my tax return and everything else.

My brothers taking the train up from San Diego tomorrow so he can help with getting a caregiver and the transition.
The stair issue is all-too-familiar but for different issues.

As we age, navigation becomes a more and more daunting task we really can't control. We were fortunate to anticipate the risk of stairs before a catastrophe and we bit the bullet and moved to a one-floor home even though it was an economic hit. As Mother Nature is wont to do, her dominance has prevailed on our health but at least we no longer risk the navigation of a two story house. We are reminded almost every day that we made the right decision to move.

In short - stairs are dangerous and can ruin your life and that of your family in a matter of seconds.
I had anticipated the stairs problem and this summer was in the process of working with a realtor to move to San Diego to a one story. Plan was to move there to be closer to my brother and his family and that having a one-story would solve both my long-term aging problem vis-à-vis stairs as well as his and his wife’s. Unfortunately the cancer. diagnosis in September put that plan on pause

One thing I did do was I had a second handrail put in to the staircase so that there are rails on both sides. But right now the physical therapist doesn’t think that’s good enough.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:18 pm

We designed our house forty years ago. It's a two-story, which was nice when the kids were young. But on the first floor is our bedroom, dining room, living room, den, kitchen, and laundry. We still use the second floor, which has two bedrooms, a bath, and a loft, but we don't need to go up there if things don't go so well.

Of course, this being hilly Pittsburgh, we have to come up a flight of stairs to come in the front door. Ramps are pretty common around here for use later in life to get inside a house.

My mother fell in her eighties on a flight of stairs, broke her leg, and landed in the hospital. She joined my dad on the same floor of the hospital. He had just had hip replacement surgery two days before. They spent six week in rehab together. That was not a fun time for anyone.

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:11 am

vic wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:15 pm
:snippity:
One thing I did do was I had a second handrail put in to the staircase so that there are rails on both sides. But right now the physical therapist doesn’t think that’s good enough.
That's a good idea but your physical therapist is probably right. Funny how they just seem to know stuff about the dozens or maybe even hundreds of people they deal with while we might only have our own experiences. My spine and hips are barely compatible with negotiating going down a long flight of stairs.

One test put to me that really brought it home was, "if you lay down on a flat surface with nothing nearby to put a hand on, can you get up on your feet all by yourself?"

I had black belts in two martial arts disciplines many years ago so my mind quite naturally fools my body into thinking I'm going to being able to do things my body can no longer do. IMHO, no matter what you see in the movies, invincibility does not age well; I think the old masters we have been shown are more myth than substance.

Me, I'd have to crawl across a parking lot to something to grab onto to get on my feet.
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:26 am

My recently widowed sister-in-law is looking to move to the town where two of her children live. Since my SIL is quite overweight and has had both knees replaced, her son there is insisting that she buy a place with no stairs. I think that makes a lot of sense.

I’m going to see a physical therapist Friday because I’ve strained muscles in my lower butt. Who even knew that was possible? That’s what happens when you use sponges to mop up water coming into the basement for 24 hours. Then spend another day making a bunch of trips taking stuff up from the basement. Anyway, the muscles that help me sit and stand and pick anything up from the floor are not happy with me and are not getting better on their own. I’m not ready to give up on stairs, so l’ll be doing exercises. But this episode has also made me a lot more empathetic to folks who can’t get up from an empty floor, or can’t safely navigate stairs.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:00 am

My dad found out yesterday there may be hope for him walking again. He has degenerative arthritis in both knees and is practically bedridden. He can make it to the kitchen from his bedroom but that's about it and even that takes him 5 minutes. They've been telling him for years he's not a candidate for surgery because he's on oxygen so they've just been giving him more and more pain meds. He saw a new doctor yesterday who is doing knee replacements with spinal blocks instead of general anesthesia and told my parents he doesn't see any reason my dad couldn't tolerate the surgery. More tests and a return visit in 3 weeks, but so far things are looking really positive for him. My mother (4' 11", 94 lbs) was practically crying tears of joy when she told me yesterday that they finally have some hope. She lives in fear my dad will fall and there's nothing she can do to help him.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:58 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:00 am
My dad found out yesterday there may be hope for him walking again. He has degenerative arthritis in both knees and is practically bedridden. He can make it to the kitchen from his bedroom but that's about it and even that takes him 5 minutes. They've been telling him for years he's not a candidate for surgery because he's on oxygen so they've just been giving him more and more pain meds. He saw a new doctor yesterday who is doing knee replacements with spinal blocks instead of general anesthesia and told my parents he doesn't see any reason my dad couldn't tolerate the surgery. More tests and a return visit in 3 weeks, but so far things are looking really positive for him. My mother (4' 11", 94 lbs) was practically crying tears of joy when she told me yesterday that they finally have some hope. She lives in fear my dad will fall and there's nothing she can do to help him.
Best of luck to your dad, Sugar. Just a precautionary heads-up about a potential issue: even with a spinal block, he may have cognitive issues for a good week or so afterward due to the drugs they use. My oldest brother and our mom both had surgery with spinal blocks this past year, and both of them were seriously out of it for a week or longer, to the point of needing one-on-one supervision at all times till the drugs finally cleared their systems. They were disoriented, belligerent, and kept trying to get up and get out of bed, hence the need for constant supervision. The hospital my mom was at couldn't provide it, and they couldn't or wouldn't respond to the bed/floor alarms, so we kids took shifts. The hospital my brother was able to provide a nurse to stay in the room with him at all times, which was much easier on the family.
I've heard this bull before.

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:30 am

Sugar,

That’s great news about your son and father. :fiesta:

Vic,

Good luck with the stair issue. I’m glad you should be getting out of the hospital soon. :bighug:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:33 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:58 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:00 am
Best of luck to your dad, Sugar. Just a precautionary heads-up about a potential issue: even with a spinal block, he may have cognitive issues for a good week or so afterward due to the drugs they use. My oldest brother and our mom both had surgery with spinal blocks this past year, and both of them were seriously out of it for a week or longer, to the point of needing one-on-one supervision at all times till the drugs finally cleared their systems. They were disoriented, belligerent, and kept trying to get up and get out of bed, hence the need for constant supervision. The hospital my mom was at couldn't provide it, and they couldn't or wouldn't respond to the bed/floor alarms, so we kids took shifts. The hospital my brother was able to provide a nurse to stay in the room with him at all times, which was much easier on the family.
Another friend warned me about that so I mentioned it to my mom and she said what they're talking about doing is basically an epidural on him. About 2-3 hours of no feeling in his legs and then back to normal. I also found out this is some sort of experimental procedure (the ONLY reason my dad would be going to University Hospital for surgery) they're doing. It sounds like it has great potential and it can't make things any worse. My mom says they have to talk to him during the surgery. Don't know why, but it was apparently important enough for them to mention it to her. Either that, or they're just excited about it.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:34 pm

:bighug: :bighug: Sugar!! :bighug: :bighug: :bunny:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

vic

Post by vic » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:50 pm

News today from hospital doctor was not good. What appeared to be pneumonia more likely rapidly spreading tumors. He basically said I needed to have that talk with oncologist next Wednesday. My brother is here making arrangements for me to be released tomorrow. Hospital bed and 24x7 caregiver.

Longer term depends on what oncologist says. I’m doing some occasional posts on Facebook and I think foggy is a friend there and can relay my information.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 pm

Sorry about this news. Best of luck and hang in there. Much more easily said than done, unfortunately.

:bighug:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:53 pm

:grouphug:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:44 am

vic wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:50 pm
News today from hospital doctor was not good. What appeared to be pneumonia more likely rapidly spreading tumors. He basically said I needed to have that talk with oncologist next Wednesday. My brother is here making arrangements for me to be released tomorrow. Hospital bed and 24x7 caregiver.

Longer term depends on what oncologist says. I’m doing some occasional posts on Facebook and I think foggy is a friend there and can relay my information.
This makes me sad to hear. I am surprised to know the docs couldn't tell the difference between tumors and pneumonia though.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:04 am

Aww, vic, dammit! :madguy:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:44 am

This makes me sad to hear. I am surprised to know the docs couldn't tell the difference between tumors and pneumonia though.
The vets had the same problem with Ellie, though in the opposite direction. Her xrays looked like a mess of masses but it was pneumonia. The vet had tears when he figured it out: pneumonia is fixable.

Vic — :grouphug:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:08 pm

vic wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:50 pm

:bighug:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:34 am

Science Alert
Scientists Fixed People's Working Memory With Simple Electrical 'Zaps' to The Brain

Scientists have used a noninvasive form of electrostimulation to boost working memory in older people, effectively giving 70-year-olds the thinking abilities of their 20-year-old selves, at least temporarily.

Working memory is the cognitive resource responsible for decision-making at any given moment, letting us retain and access useful and relevant information, such as names, phone numbers, and where we've put things.

Unfortunately, this resource declines with age, and not just in those with significant cognitive deterioration, such as dementia, but in healthy people too experiencing the normal neurocognitive effects of ageing.

The good news is, this decline in working memory doesn't seem to be permanent.

"Age-related changes are not unchangeable," neuroscientist Robert Reinhart from Boston University told The Guardian. ...

Specifically, neuroscientists currently think that slow, low-frequency rhythms called theta rhythms need to sync up with faster, high-frequency gamma rhythms between prefrontal and temporal areas in the brain for our working memory to function efficiently.

This synchronisation is called phase-amplitude coupling (PAC), but while it looks to drop off as we age, a form of electrostimulation called transcranial alternating-current stimulation (tACS) appears to resynchronise these uncoupled brain circuits.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:30 pm

Associated Press
Feds say they've busted a $1.2-billion Medicare scam that targeted seniors

Federal authorities said Tuesday that they’ve broken up a $1.2-billion Medicare scam that peddled unneeded orthopedic braces to hundreds of thousands of seniors via foreign call centers.

The Justice Department announced charges against 24 people across the United States, including doctors accused of writing bogus prescriptions for unneeded back, shoulder, wrist and knee braces. Others charged include owners of call centers, telemedicine firms and medical equipment companies, including two people from Glendora in the San Gabriel Valley.

The Health and Human Services inspector general’s office said the fast-moving scam morphed into multiple related schemes, fueled by kickbacks among the parties involved. The FBI and 17 U.S. attorney’s offices took part in the crackdown. Arrests were made Tuesday morning.

Medicare said it’s taking action against 130 medical equipment companies implicated. They billed the program a total of $1.7 billion, of which more than $900 million was paid out.

Telemarketers would reach out to seniors offering “free” orthopedic braces, also touted through television and radio ads. Beneficiaries who expressed interest would be patched through to call centers involved in the scheme. Officials described an “international telemarketing network” with call centers in the Philippines and throughout Latin America.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:24 pm

CNBC
America's $103 billion home health-care system is in crisis as worker shortages worsen

We keep hearing the foreboding statistics: 10,000 baby boomers in the United States turn 65 every day; our aging population is expected to double in the next 20 years and swell to 88 million by 2050; 75 percent of Americans over 65 live with multiple chronic health conditions, ranging from diabetes to dementia.

It is no secret, either, that the nation's already-strained health-care system is trying to keep sick and longer-living seniors out of hospitals, assisted-living facilities and nursing homes and instead in their own homes, which is where they want to live out their golden years. But that has shifted the caregiving burden onto family members, who are increasingly stressed and often supplemented by personal-care aides (also referred to as certified nurse assistants, personal-care assistants or home health aides) employed by thousands of home-care agencies across the country. Nurses and other skilled practitioners manage in-home medical needs, such as administering medications and wound care, while the personal-care aides cook, shop, clean, bathe, dress and generally offer companionship.

The U.S. spent an estimated $103 billion on home health care last year, a number predicted to reach at least $173 billion by 2026, according to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, which put total health expenditures in 2018 at about $3.67 trillion. CMS, veterans programs and private health insurance cover a portion of in-home care, although non-reimbursed costs are paid out of pocket by family caregivers, adding an astounding $470 billion to the mix, according to a 2016 report by AARP — not to mention the drain on family budgets and seniors' nest eggs. ...

As all of these realities coalesce, we're starting to hear warnings about the fact that while the demand for all types of home health-care workers skyrockets, the supply cannot keep pace. This presents a looming national dilemma for the workforce and entities that hire, train and try to retain them, as well as the public and private sources that pay them. Consider, too, that while the Trump administration pursues its stringent anti-immigration agenda, one quarter of these workers are immigrants — and the possibility that draining that labor pool could further intensify the shortage problem.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:35 am

CBS News
Social Security number phone scam costing victims millions: FTC

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is warning of a nationwide phone scam. Thieves are making millions preying on people's concerns about Social Security numbers.

When Wayne Chertoff's caller ID told him the U.S. Social Security Administration was calling, he picked up to hear a woman's voice.

"She said that in El Paso, Texas, somebody was using my name and Social Security number to send thousands of dollars to Mexico and Columbia," he said. ...

"She said, 'Well, you have an arrest warrant out there,'" Chertoff said.

To get rid of the "warrant," he followed the woman's instructions, buying $1,400 worth of Google Play cards at a drugstore, then gave the numbers off the back of the cards to the scammers over the phone. She told him he'd get the money back. But when no one called him the following day, he knew he was scammed.

Chertoff is one of many. Seventy six thousand people have complained to the Federal Trade Commission about the scam, which is already outpacing an old IRS scam. ...

You should never give out your Social Security number over the phone. But now the FTC is saying do not trust your caller ID.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:44 am

Addie wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:35 am
CBS News
Social Security number phone scam costing victims millions: FTC
Mrs_G has has gotten entertainment from these kinds of calls playing the dottering old woman who can't understand anything they say. She can keep them going for at least five minutes before they hang up.

Return to “Social Issues”