Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

AndyinPA

Re: Aging - it's not for fraidy cats

Post by AndyinPA »

We got home this afternoon after hubby's aortic valve replacement by TAVR yesterday. It went textbook perfect, but he still stayed overnight and I don't know why anyone said he might go home the same day. The question after surgery was whether he would spend the night in ICU or the cardiac unit. He spent the night in the cardiac unit. He will have rehab and will be on a heart monitor for a month. He's doing pretty well. This is his first real surgery. I told him he would not feel as good as he did yesterday once he got up and around. He believes me now, but he's not happy about it. But the doctors are very happy with the surgery and the few tests they have run since have been good. They did an echocardiogram this morning and he could hear the difference in the sound of of his heartbeat.

It was a long two days. Being in the Family House was good. We had to be up at 3:45 AM to get to the hospital across the street at 5. Had we had to drive in from home, I can't imagine what time we would have had to get up.

Wednesday night I had to go to bed early to get up at 3:45. Last night I was so tired from the early morning and all day at the hospital that I also conked out early. I missed both of Rachel's programs with Parnas. :crying: I'm hoping for reruns this weekend or I'll catch it online. My son said I would want to see them both. He managed to stay awake last night for most of it.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:45 pm
We got home this afternoon after hubby's aortic valve replacement by TAVR yesterday. It went textbook perfect, but he still stayed overnight and I don't know why anyone said he might go home the same day. The question after surgery was whether he would spend the night in ICU or the cardiac unit. He spent the night in the cardiac unit. He will have rehab and will be on a heart monitor for a month. He's doing pretty well. This is his first real surgery. I told him he would not feel as good as he did yesterday once he got up and around. He believes me now, but he's not happy about it. But the doctors are very happy with the surgery and the few tests they have run since have been good. They did an echocardiogram this morning and he could hear the difference in the sound of of his heartbeat.

It was a long two days. Being in the Family House was good. We had to be up at 3:45 AM to get to the hospital across the street at 5. Had we had to drive in from home, I can't imagine what time we would have had to get up.

Wednesday night I had to go to bed early to get up at 3:45. Last night I was so tired from the early morning and all day at the hospital that I also conked out early. I missed both of Rachel's programs with Parnas. :crying: I'm hoping for reruns this weekend or I'll catch it online. My son said I would want to see them both. He managed to stay awake last night for most of it.
Glad to hear the procedure went well. Hopefully home and recuperating very shortly :)

Addie

Post by Addie »

Good news, Andy. :bighug: I am so glad to hear it went well.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:banana: :bunny: :dogballoon:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thinking of you both, Andy!

:heart:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Pro tip: your husband is WAY more important than Lev Parnas (my spellchecker tried to give me Levi Parnassus, whoever the hell that is).

I know that isn't news to you. :bighug: :thumbs: :blink:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:07 am
Pro tip: your husband is WAY more important than Lev Parnas (my spellchecker tried to give me Levi Parnassus, whoever the hell that is).

I know that isn't news to you. :bighug: :thumbs: :blink:
:like:

,,,which is why I didn't see either of them! :thumbs:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:bighug: I am so glad you are home and that hubby's surgery went well.

The interviews should be on the MSNBC website. I've only seen small outtakes of it myself. Looking forward to watching the whole interview myself.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

RVInit wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:13 pm
:bighug: I am so glad you are home and that hubby's surgery went well.

The interviews should be on the MSNBC website. I've only seen small outtakes of it myself. Looking forward to watching the whole interview myself.
I think both might be on MSNBC tonight at 10 PM Eastern Time.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

The Hill
The TRUST Act is a plot to gut Social Security behind closed doors

Eight years ago, Mitt Romney ran for president on a promise to cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. He even picked Medicare’s worst enemy, Paul Ryan, to be his running mate. Fortunately, he lost.

Now, Romney is a senator trying to burnish his “moderate” credentials by acting extremely concerned about Donald Trump’s crimes—while doing nothing to stop them. But he’s still got the same plan for Social Security: Gut it.

This past October, Romney introduced the TRUST Act, which would create a fast-track, closed-door process for cutting Social Security and Medicare.

Of course, Romney isn’t saying he’d cut benefits, which is incredibly unpopular with voters of all political stripes. Instead, he’s using an Orwellian euphemism ― “strengthen.” But we know what Romney means, because politicians don’t shut the door when they’re trying to do something popular.

Any discussion about the future of Social Security should be done in the light of day, where the American people can see it. That’s just what House Democrats are doing, with the Social Security 2100 Act.

This legislation, which is co-sponsored by around 90 percent of House Democrats, increases Social Security benefits for everyone. It also has additional targeted increases for the most vulnerable beneficiaries. On top of that, it addresses Romney’s alleged mathematical concerns by keeping the Social Security trust fund strong into the next century and beyond.
Adding:
Larson.house.gov: Social Security 2100 Act

MRich

Post by MRich »

I've posted a couple times about my father - a couple years ago he asked me about getting traveler's checks for a hotel stay, and has been getting more and more forgetful.

This morning my mother called me. She said he had sworn her to not tell "the girls" (I have 4 sisters) but he was at church with one of my sisters and she said she needed someone to know.

She said a month ago he asked her about several affairs he thought she had about 60 years ago. (They are both now 89.) Mom was shocked because she had no idea what he was talking about. She said he just wanted to talk about it; he wasn't angry. He said "the girls" told him about it; Mom said that at the time he was referring to, my oldest sister was maybe 2 years old and I was a baby. She told me he later apologized and asked her not to mention the conversation to us.

Then last night she said he wanted to talk to her, and "you know what about." He said he knew she was having an affair and was going to divorce him. She said he was very matter of fact about it, very calm. Mom again was shocked; she basically doesn't even drive except local short trips; they are always together. She said she was so upset she couldn't sleep last night. Again, he apologized to her this morning and made her promise not to tell us.

His short term memory has been awful the last year, but he has never exhibited any paranoia or false memories, so we were hoping this was just a symptom of his age, but I think this is it. His older brother died from Alzheimer's at 77; his mother died from it at 96.

He's been getting frail the last couple years. But he's still pretty active; although he finally hired someone to mow the yard in the summer and take care of the leaves, he still takes care of the other yard work and helps my mother around the house. He has a doctor's appointment on Tuesday and I made Mom promise to let the doctor know what's going on.

I'm just scared. He's my dad.

Addie

Post by Addie »

That's really sad, MRich. I am sorry to have no good advice to give you. I do have a hug :bighug:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Talking to the doctor is probably the best thing to do. I'm so sorry. It's really hard to see this happen to parents.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

:bighug:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

MRich wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:56 pm

I'm just scared. He's my dad.
My warmest regards. :bighug: My college English professor and life-long friend (82 and in not good shape) has this type of delusion. Most of the time she is fine, but she has created a series of false memories that she casually references every few minutes. Many are what they call "inappropriate," including a non-existent son she had at the age of ten and gave up for adoption. It is heartbreaking, though she is not unhappy and we have little bits of fun and laughs and singing in between.

First signs were about four years ago. Little stories that were obviously incorrectly remembered at best, and constantly repeated.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

My mom's in her mid-nineties and lives with me, because she has nothing but a small Social Security check. I've taken care of her for seemingly forever, but starting a few years ago she began exhibiting signs of dementia that made me realize she needed someone with her all the time. Then her physical health declined as well, necessitating assistance with the daily living activities such as dressing, bathing, toileting, etc.

Fortunately, as the widow of a veteran, she was eligible for a VA pension to assist elderly vets/their spouses who need care. It's enough to pay one of my sisters a few dollars an hour to watch mom, and I'm damned grateful for it.

I live in a high-tax blue state, and it turns out there's also a state program to assist needy elderly who'd otherwise qualify for nursing home care to remain in their home. It provides funding to pay for caregivers, and even pays for modifications to the home as needed. Thanks to that program, I'm getting a partial bathroom remodel (grab bars, re-hang the bathroom door to open outward, bidet toilet seat) and a small deck with a wheelchair ramp, so I can wheel my mom out of the house. Right now she has to walk down two steps to get outside, and it takes two people to assist her with that. I've been badly worried about what would happen in case of fire, since I couldn't get her out quickly all by myself. So this is a huge relief, and will make getting mom out and about so much simpler.

The rationale is that it's cheaper to pay for those accommodations than to pay every month for the indigent elderly to live in a nursing home. I'm just very grateful that such a program exists. And I'm perfectly happy to pay higher taxes when it means programs such as this can be funded, and people like my mom can be helped.
I've heard this bull before.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm not sure how many people are aware of the survivor's benefits from the VA. My dad died at the same time my mother had to go into assisted living. The rehab facility my mother was in had volunteers who helped with placement from rehab to assisted living. He is the one who told us how much the VA would help my mother after my dad's death. It made all the difference in helping her to pay for her assisted living for the next seven years of her life. My father had always told us exactly where he kept his discharge papers and always said it was really important. We didn't realize how important until we needed it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.southernliving.com/news/any ... k-overalls
This Adorable 91-Year-Old Alabama Man Works out 3 Times a Week—in His Overalls
Meet Mr. Lloyd Black.

Black and his wife, Mary, joined Anytime Fitness about a year ago. “I realized I was in bad shape,” he recalled. “I could not do simple tasks anymore. That’s what motivated me to do it.”

Since then, he’s been coming in three times a week. “He’s always laughing and telling a joke,” Seaman said.

When he started working out, he couldn’t walk for more than 10 minutes on the treadmill. Today, he can do 30 minutes. He also does leg presses and works out on some of the upper-body machines. He loves to brag about his newfound strength and balance.

As for the overalls? Black said there’s a very practical reason for them. “I don’t have any hips, and I can’t keep my pants up!” he said with a laugh.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm not quite sure if this is the proper place to put this, but I didn't want to start a new topic and couldn't find another one to add it to.

My husband got a bill yesterday, marked past due, although this is the first time we've seen it. It's for his procedure for aortic valve replacement in January. We definitely would have noticed this bill. Also, it's not actually due until April 29 with a billing date of April 8.

Hospital Charges 01/16/20-01/17/20: $252,011.25

Insurance Payments/Adjustments: $251,697.16

Past Due: $314.09

I kept thinking I must be reading it wrong. Surely, it's more like $25,697. A quarter million? :eek2:

It's also that Adjustment part. You know the insurance company never paid that much money.

Hubby is planning to call and ask for an itemized statement.

This is what they billed our Medicare Advantage Plan, which happens to be affiliated with this university medical complex.

This, in a nutshell, says how bad our health care system is.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:08 pm
I'm not quite sure if this is the proper place to put this, but I didn't want to start a new topic and couldn't find another one to add it to.

My husband got a bill yesterday, marked past due, although this is the first time we've seen it. It's for his procedure for aortic valve replacement in January. We definitely would have noticed this bill. Also, it's not actually due until April 29 with a billing date of April 8.

Hospital Charges 01/16/20-01/17/20: $252,011.25

Insurance Payments/Adjustments: $251,697.16

Past Due: $314.09

I kept thinking I must be reading it wrong. Surely, it's more like $25,697. A quarter million? :eek2:

It's also that Adjustment part. You know the insurance company never paid that much money.

Hubby is planning to call and ask for an itemized statement.

This is what they billed our Medicare Advantage Plan, which happens to be affiliated with this university medical complex.

This, in a nutshell, says how bad our health care system is.
Been there. I think that shit is fraud. If the bill is x amount but the provider gets an adjusted payment, I should only pay my co-pay based upon the adjusted amount. I won't go into all the details, but Mister had a VNS implant which the hospital charged $48,000 for (device only). This was just part of the bill. Because we had an intimate relationship with the device maker, I called and asked about what they charged. $15k.

It's a fucking racket.

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo: She fell more than 30 times. For three years, doctors couldn’t explain why.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Our older daughter had her 40th birthday yesterday. :shock: I feel like I've aged 20 years overnight. ;)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

The song was written by Toby Keith after spending some time with 88-year-old actor-director-filmmaker, Clint Eastwood. Keith asked Eastwood, “what keeps you going?” and he said, “I get up every day and don't let the old man in.” The rest is history. Keith wrote a song for him called 'Don't Let the Old Man In.’ The song was in the Eastwood movie ‘The Mule.’

I haven't let the old man in yet, either.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Well. Interesting evening yesterday. :-

Yesterday afternoon, I was reading TFB and clicked on the link to the White Fragility article and started to read. It didn’t make sense, maybe a stilted style? The words made sense but not together. Ok, save for later. Back to Fogbow. Oh. The original post made no sense. Now not even words made sense. Ok, never happened before, maybe tired. Go back to making soup. (From scratch, chicken gongee)

I was no longer able to even come up with the word for tablespoon. Or salt. Or stroke. Or hospital. :shock: FREAKED US OUT.

So W2, a wonderful guy but hopeless in an emergency, called an Uber and off we went to out first experience an Maine Medical Center Emergency. Rushed to triage. A great team poked and prodded, asked me questions I couldn’t answer. (W2 wasn’t allowed in the hospital (Covid) so he paced about outside for a while then walked home.) No weakness anywhere, no drooping. But aphasia.

I couldn’t articulate anything but frustration about the standard aphasia test. But I began to get number words back. Weight, height. Address. Birthday. Then in about 5 minutes, reading (words crisp and strong and fast), and a few words about the scene depicted: gravity. Fall. Sink Too small. 15 minutes later I could talk about the kid stealing the cookies from a high shelf as the stool tipped over. All told from onset to gone, 2 hours. Pretty amazing.

CT scan clear, as was the later MRI. 10 hours later. At 3:00AM. :bored: After watching TNT with no sound or ability to change channels—two showings of the Beauty and the Beast with Hermione, and 3 of NCIS New Orleans. Oh, and did I mention we forgot a phone cord and the phone was at 25% to start? (W2 wanted to hold my phone while I went in, at least I stopped that. We need more emergency practice. :roll: ) The ER was so empty the doctors and nurses were discussing politics and the upcoming moose lottery. All were anti-Trump because of Covid.

So now I’m home. More doctors tomorrow, but it looks like it was a TIA that resolved quickly. No trace of the clot by the time they did imaging. Temporary idiopathic aphasia unless it comes back. No brain tumors, brain swelling, Infection markers. We may never know but my dad started having TIAs in his late 60s we think.

So yeah, I missed the Zoom meetup. :cantlook:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Return to “Social Issues”