Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COPS behaving badly

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:28 am
You know who should be facing charges in this? The cops and prosecutors that made this shit up and misled the Grand Jury. That's who should be facing charges. And I've love to read the judge's full ruling, from the excerpts it sounds like a real doozy.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

several articles to be found using following Google search

https://www.google.com/search?q=maricop ... ng+members

starting back in February 2021
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

among others
Maricopa County Attorney's Office alleged protesters were gang members in another case

In addition to filing criminal street gang charges against a group of police protesters, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office filed similar allegations in a different protest case.

By: Dave Biscobing
Posted at 7:21 PM, Feb 19, 2021 and last updated 3:21 AM, Feb 20, 2021

There wasn’t just one gang protest case.

In addition to filing criminal street gang charges against a group of police protesters, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office filed similar allegations in a different protest case.

The additional allegations, which have since been withdrawn amid growing public pressure, raise questions about whether county prosecutors were expanding a strategy to label protesters as gang members as a way increase potential prison sentences and force plea deals.

“It’s a way to make charges even scarier than they already were,” said Armando Nava, a defense attorney, whose client was labeled as a member of an unidentified gang by MCAO. “It was something we were flabbergasted by because there wasn’t any indication of any gang activity. So we were all shocked.”

Different from the criminal gang charges filed against a group after an October 17th arrest, MCAO filed special motions that are known as sentence enhancements against four defendants in a separate protest case.

https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/i ... other-case
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Commentary
Prosecutors must be held accountable for charging protesters as gang members

By January Contreras -March 1, 2021

When I became a prosecutor, what attracted me to the job was the mission – acting in the interest of justice. This means protecting public safety while holding people accountable within the bounds of the law.

As prosecutors, we have a constant duty to meet legal standards, governed by our laws and constitution, as well as ethical standards that are governed by our legal profession. When we fail in either aspect, we must be held accountable.

At the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office (MCAO), I worked under the leadership of Rick Romley, the elected Maricopa County Attorney at the time. It was a time when divisive politics did not rule the office and, in fact, did not influence how I performed my job as a line prosecutor. I could not and would not have done the job any other way.

Since that time, however, we have witnessed drastic examples of politics eclipsing the legal and ethical standards that should govern all prosecutors.

https://www.azmirror.com/2021/03/01/pro ... g-members/
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

RTH - :thumbsup:

In other news... Things are messed up in Alabama.
Whitmire: Huntsville PD keeps a murderer on the payroll

Three weeks ago, a Madison County jury found Huntsville police officer William Darby guilty of murder.

Three weeks have passed since that verdict — and he’s still an employee with the Huntsville Police Department.

If it’s difficult for you to make sense of that ugly fact, you’re not alone. There are not many workplaces, outside of organized crime, where an employee can kill a man on the job, be convicted of murder, and then get to keep that job indefinitely.

But that’s what’s happening in Huntsville.

And it didn’t just start three weeks ago. This has been going on for three years.

Three years ago, Huntsville police responded to a call from a suicidal man named Jeff Parker. Two officers arrived at the scene before Darby. Parker sat on a couch holding a gun to his head. One of the officers calmly attempted to talk Parker out of doing something tragic.

And then Darby rushed in and did the messy part for him.

Darby shouted at the other officers to point their guns at Parker. He told Parker to put his gun down, then he shot Parker in the face with a shotgun. Later, Darby would say he shot Parker after he saw the gun move.

How someone is supposed to put down a gun without moving it is a riddle I still can’t solve.

:snippity:
https://www.al.com/news/2021/05/whitmir ... still.html

More at the link, it actually gets worse.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

Regarding the death of Lindani,
HONOLULU -- Doorbell camera video obtained and made public by lawyers representing the family of a man fatally shot two months ago by Honolulu police provides more information about the events that unfolded before the deadly encounter with officers.

The footage shows that he arrived at a house, took off his shoes, entered the home and then quickly left after his presence confused the occupants. He repeatedly apologized.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/vid ... t-78298312

In the new released videos, he apologized. He was entering a Hindu meeting.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Portland riots: Police crowd-control team resigns after officer indicted”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57532258

“Every member of a police crowd-control unit in the US city of Portland has resigned after one of its officers was indicted on an assault charge.
The charge stemmed from violent anti-racism protests that rocked the city, in the state of Oregon, last year.
Prosecutors allege the officer used "excessive and unlawful use of force" against a protester in August 2020.
But Portland's police union described the decision to prosecute the officer as "politically driven".
The crowd-control unit, known as the Rapid Response Team (RRT), is comprised of about 50 police officers. They serve in the team voluntarily and are deployed during events such as riots, large-scale searches or disaster situations.
In a statement, Portland police said members had "left their voluntary positions and no longer comprise a team". It said the officers would continue in their regular assignments.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:21 am Regarding the death of Lindani,
HONOLULU -- Doorbell camera video obtained and made public by lawyers representing the family of a man fatally shot two months ago by Honolulu police provides more information about the events that unfolded before the deadly encounter with officers.

The footage shows that he arrived at a house, took off his shoes, entered the home and then quickly left after his presence confused the occupants. He repeatedly apologized.

He may have thought he was entering a Hindu meeting, but it was apparently a private home.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Uninformed wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:49 pm “Portland riots: Police crowd-control team resigns after officer indicted”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57532258

“Every member of a police crowd-control unit in the US city of Portland has resigned after one of its officers was indicted on an assault charge.
The charge stemmed from violent anti-racism protests that rocked the city, in the state of Oregon, last year.
Prosecutors allege the officer used "excessive and unlawful use of force" against a protester in August 2020.
But Portland's police union described the decision to prosecute the officer as "politically driven".
The crowd-control unit, known as the Rapid Response Team (RRT), is comprised of about 50 police officers. They serve in the team voluntarily and are deployed during events such as riots, large-scale searches or disaster situations.
In a statement, Portland police said members had "left their voluntary positions and no longer comprise a team". It said the officers would continue in their regular assignments.”
What a bunch of asses. This is absurd. The officers are still working as officers and thus, will still be policing protests and riots. Now they made it more dangerous for themselves.

The rapid response task force wasn't even active at the time these officers resigned.

Imo, this gives Oregonians more reasons to be really pissed off at Portland police officers.

What an impotent action.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Exactly. Its a voluntary unit too, like the bomb squad or mounted unit. Oddly enough, many depts use their Reserve Officers (also volunteers) for crowd control duties. It's an 8 hour or less class to learn crowd control techniques.
Lani

Post by Lani »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:17 pm
Lani wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:21 am Regarding the death of Lindani,

He may have thought he was entering a Hindu meeting, but it was apparently a private home.
It's a B&B. Screen door not locked. People come and go. Two people went in ahead of him. On the video, a man told him that there was no temple on the property. (It was next door. Similar front, semi circle driveway.) That man also said he didn't understand why the woman was so upset. Lindani repeatedly apologized. Oh, and when the men began yelling him, he asked who they were. They didn't say they were cops until after he was shot.

The court has ordered release of all videos, but I think another is still pending and also his cellphone.

The court also ordered the release of videos in the shooting of teen a few days earlier. The teen had a criminal record and was in stolen a car. Cops said they had to shoot him before he shot. But in the released of police video, the teen was not holding a gun, and he was shot in the back and the back of his head. (Also, they weren't supposed to have high speed chases in the city.)
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:35 am
It's a B&B. Screen door not locked. People come and go. Two people went in ahead of him. On the video, a man told him that there was no temple on the property. (It was next door. Similar front, semi circle driveway.) That man also said he didn't understand why the woman was so upset. Lindani repeatedly apologized. Oh, and when the men began yelling him, he asked who they were. They didn't say they were cops until after he was shot.

The court has ordered release of all videos, but I think another is still pending and also his cellphone.

The court also ordered the release of videos in the shooting of teen a few days earlier. The teen had a criminal record and was in stolen a car. Cops said they had to shoot him before he shot. But in the released of police video, the teen was not holding a gun, and he was shot in the back and the back of his head. (Also, they weren't supposed to have high speed chases in the city.)
Just because 2 people enter a building doesn't mean it's ok for anyone to enter the building.

Shrines are very distinctive on the inside. They have signs at min by the entrance.

From the doorbell video: https://www.khon2.com/local-news/new-vi ... rican-man/
"The video shows Myeni asking the woman, “What’s wrong?”
She replies, “Who are you?”
Myeni says, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I know you guys though. Can I see your phone?”
The woman that called 911 said this was a burglary.

Nuuanu did attack police. Police absolutely should have announced that they were police. And Nuuanu shouldn't have attacked. He attacked before any discussion could occur.

How were police to know that Nuuanu made a mistake? How were they to know he apologized? How were police supposed to know that Nuuanu thought he was at a temple?

I typically don't give officers the benefit of the doubt anymore. Based on the videos, I can absolutely understand why officers shot
Nuuanu.

I absolutely understand that police all over the country have EARNED their bad reputations. I can't make a 100% assessment with the videos I've seen. However, this shooting doesn't appear to be malicious.
Lani

Post by Lani »

It wasn't the Shriners. It's a house that became a Hindu temple that's open all the time. Well, technically it's not a temple, but everyone calls it that. Popular vegetarian restaurant, guest rooms, great weddings, yoga and mediation, etc. That house is the next one up the road from the B&B.

Yes, the woman was hysterical and said there was a burglary. (She also has limited English. Should have been a translator on the 911 call.) The other person inside said he didn't know why she was acting that way. Given how she was behaving, I can understand why the cops thought something bad was happening. Were they told that she said he didn't have a weapon and wasn't yelling/threatening? I don't understand why the car lights weren't on and the cops didn't say they were the police - which is required by law here. You can see how dark it was outside with a bright light on Lindani. He was threatened with a gun and could run, fight, or lie on the ground because some stranger pointed a gun at him.

Probably nothing will happen to the cops, the public will (and is) blaming the woman who for no known reason freaked out, and there will some payment made to his wife and children due at least to the cops failing ID themselves. (The law was passed years ago because of other similar unfortunate situations.)

Oh, and just to clarify. He didn't enter that woman's residence and she isn't the owner. He entered a place of public accommodation.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:08 am

Oh, and just to clarify. He didn't enter that woman's residence and she isn't the owner. He entered a place of public accommodation.
Using that standard, anyone could walk into your hotel room. It isn't your residence, you don't own it, and it's a place of public accommodation.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Nope. It would be like entering the lobby.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:08 am It wasn't the Shriners. It's a house that became a Hindu temple that's open all the time. Well, technically it's not a temple, but everyone calls it that. Popular vegetarian restaurant, guest rooms, great weddings, yoga and mediation, etc. That house is the next one up the road from the B&B.

Yes, the woman was hysterical and said there was a burglary. (She also has limited English. Should have been a translator on the 911 call.) The other person inside said he didn't know why she was acting that way. Given how she was behaving, I can understand why the cops thought something bad was happening. Were they told that she said he didn't have a weapon and wasn't yelling/threatening? I don't understand why the car lights weren't on and the cops didn't say they were the police - which is required by law here. You can see how dark it was outside with a bright light on Lindani. He was threatened with a gun and could run, fight, or lie on the ground because some stranger pointed a gun at him.

Probably nothing will happen to the cops, the public will (and is) blaming the woman who for no known reason freaked out, and there will some payment made to his wife and children due at least to the cops failing ID themselves. (The law was passed years ago because of other similar unfortunate situations.)

Sorry, but I disagree 100%. You're expecting the officers to know more than they possibly can. Sugar Magnolia explained why police lights weren't on. That's normal procedure.

I checked the temple on Google maps. It has a huge sign at its entry. See pic below.

B&B's are businesses. But they aren't open to the general public. It doesn't matter that the woman who called the police didn't own the property. It's completely irrelevant. Frankly, that's an odd assertion.

Rather than leaving the building when he realized his mistake, Myeni asked to see someone's phone. I can see why someone would think that they might be being robbed at that point. I might have thought that.

Once Myeni got close enough to the police officers, he knew they were police. He should have stopped attacking. It's that simple. He violently attacked several officers. He injured them quite severely.

In Hawaii, police are only required by law to identify themselves if they are arresting an individual or about to use deadly force. The officers were being violently attacked when deadly force occurred. The attack removed their ability to warn about deadly force.

Fact is, the officers tried non-lethal force. They tried.

I 100% believe that police should have identified themselves. There's no excuse for that. There's also no excuse for violently attacking uniformed police officers. Again, once Myeni was close enough to attack the officers, he could very clearly see that they were police.

I'm not "blaming the victim". I am saying that I understand why police shot Myeni. I don't understand why police didn't identify themselves. I see no evidence that this was a malicious or even unreasonable shooting. The officers tried non-lethal force.
Attachments
IMG_20062021_145544_(900_x_900_pixel).jpg
IMG_20062021_145544_(900_x_900_pixel).jpg (242.85 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Lani

Post by Lani »

Time will tell.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Do officers really do this? :smoking:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Or maybe the engines tend to overheat when idling for a long time with the hood closed. LE cars have a lot of electronics/electrical systems installed. They need to keep the alternator running.
Il factotum
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

First off, they don't appear to be on a traffic stop. Second, blocking the dash cam does no good if they have body cams anyway.

My guess is that they're on meal break at the bodega and have left their vehicles running.

Logic isn't always a factor in memes.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Part of me is amused at the idea of a bunch of people filming cops having lunch... followed by a wave of food criticisms... 'look how tha cop eats their pizza, what an asshole!'
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Both of the LE vehicles are not parked properly. To me, it looks like they are blocking the road. The SUV is diagonal across the road and not parallel to the curb. And the cruiser is double parked (there is a vehicle next to it at the curb).
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

And, if you look behind the red van, there are two officers in the street not eating lunch.
Image Image Image Image
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

They could be blocking the road due to a fire/accident. I see what looks to be a third one as well but without its hood up. The cops seem to be discussing something.

It could easily be a standoff at some house down the road. They happen.
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

If its a shooter situation, the engine cover being open would give protection to the cabin of the car, I would think.

And Dash cams could possibly see under the metal depending on where they are. Plus if they were actively stopping the cams they could just disconnect them internally without being so obvious.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”