Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COPS behaving badly

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

COPS behaving badly

Post by neonzx »

Remember that Buffalo NY incident?

75-year-old Martin Gugino files lawsuit against city, officers and mayor
https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/ma ... -and-mayor
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Martin Gugino, the 75-year-old man seen being pushed to the ground during last June's protests in Niagara Square, has filed a civil suit against the City of Buffalo, Mayor Byron Brown, Police Commissioner Byron Lockwood, Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia, and Officers Robert McCabe, Aaron Torgalski, and John Losi.

Gugino's attorneys, Richard P. Weisbeck Jr., Melissa D. Wischerath and of Lipsitz Green Scime Cambria Law Firm, have requested a jury trial.

"He was protesting against the police violence committed against black citizens and Martin then became a victim of that same state violence that he was protesting against," Weisbeck said.

The suit alleges the defendants violated the constitutional rights of Gugino by enforcing an unconstitutional week long curfew and by using unlawful and unnecessary force, despite Gugino having committed no crime.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

Just to mention a couple highlights of the above case, the entire force resigned from their elite unit or whatever when the officers involved faced discipline, and then it was determined that no discipline or charges were necessary. Because of course it was.

Anyway, bad cops may have to become a little less bad, or face consequences? Maybe? Baby steps? On qualified immunity...
Joanna Schwartz, @JCSchwartzProf, UCLA Law Professor wrote: The Supreme Court just made an important and promising shift on qualified immunity in a case called McCoy v. Alamu- although they did it so quietly that you wouldn't notice if you didn't look closely. Here's the scoop, in a thread...
In a case brought by @RightsBehind, a Texas corrections officer beat a prisoner without provocation. The district court granted the officer QI and the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed. http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/pu ... 56-CV0.pdf
In the opinion, the 5th relied heavily on Supreme Court QI precedent, saying “[t]he pages of the United States Reports teem with warnings about the difficulty of” showing that the law was clearly established and ruling that no prior court decision had sufficiently similar facts.
But the Supreme Court granted cert, reversed, and remanded, instructing the 5th Circuit to reconsider its decision in light of Taylor v. Riojas, a SCT decision from 11/2020 ruling no prior factually similar case was necessary when any officer would know what they did was wrong.
The Supreme Court issued no decision in McCoy. But I think they're sending a message that lower courts can deny QI if the officer's misconduct was clear, even if there's no case with identical facts - not only in prison conditions cases, but in excessive force cases as well.
This may be how the Supremes take action on qualified immunity in the near future-not with a sweeping opinion doing away with QI, but with a quieter message, heard by the lawyers and judges who are listening, that it's stepping back from its most robust depictions of QI's power.
I'd love a sweeping pronouncement ending QI - but I'm here to celebrate these quieter gestures too.
https://twitter.com/JCSchwartzProf/stat ... 93120?s=20
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Rochester Officers Will Not Be Charged in Killing of Daniel Prude
Mr. Prude, a Black man who was having an apparent psychotic episode, died after police officers placed a mesh hood over his head and pinned him to the ground, leading to widespread protests.
By Sarah Maslin Nir Feb. 23, 2021 Updated 5:09 p.m. ET

The police officers who placed a mesh hood on a Black man last year and pressed his head down until he lost consciousness will not be charged in his death, officials said Tuesday, after a grand jury convened to investigate the case declined to bring an indictment.

The killing of the man, Daniel Prude, in Rochester, N.Y., touched off intense protests in that city and others during a national reckoning around racism and brutality in policing. Mr. Prude’s death was one of many instances in which Black men died in police custody in recent years.

Public records showed that the Rochester Police Department sought to conceal the circumstances — captured in graphic police body camera footage — of Mr. Prude’s death. The case led to the dismissal of the city’s police chief.

“We sought a different outcome than the one the grand jury handed us today,” said New York’s attorney general, Letitia James, who convened the panel to investigate Mr. Prude’s death.

Ms. James, speaking at a news conference at Aenon Missionary Baptist Church in Rochester, expressed clear disappointment with the result.

“The criminal justice system has demonstrated an unwillingness to hold law enforcement officers accountable in the unjustified killing of unarmed African-Americans,” Ms James said. “What binds these cases is the tragic loss of life in circumstances in which the death could be avoided.”

Mr. Prude, 41, was visiting his brother in Rochester in March when he had an apparent psychotic episode. He ran into the street naked and was handcuffed by officers. Mr. Prude, who had told at least one passer-by that he had the coronavirus, began spitting, and the officers responded by pulling a mesh hood over his head.

When he tried to get up, the officers forced Mr. Prude facedown on the ground, one of them pushing his head to the pavement, police body camera footage showed. The police held Mr. Prude down for two minutes, and he had to be resuscitated. He died in the hospital a week later, on March 30. His death was later ruled a homicide.

But the circumstances of Mr. Prude’s death did not become public until September, and only after lawyers for his family pushed for the release of body camera footage.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/nyre ... olice.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

'We Want You to Beat Him’: Video Shows Maryland Cops Berating and Handcuffing a Kindergarten Student Who Left School After Tantrum

Video at the link. The entire article is worth reading.

"'Newly released police body camera footage shows a pair of officers in Montgomery County, Maryland verbally berating and handcuffing a 5-year-old kindergarten student, then repeatedly telling the child’s mother that she should “beat him” because of his behavior.

The Montgomery County Police Department on Friday released video of the incident, which took place in January 2020. The young boy allegedly wandered away from his school without permission after throwing a basketball at a teacher and knocking over a computer. The officers’ names were not released by the department but they were identified in a subsequent lawsuit filed by the child’s mother as Dionne Holliday and Kevin Christmon.
:snippity:
“Does your momma spank you? Does your momma spank you?” Holliday asked. “She’s gonna spank you today. Because they’re gonna call her and tell her exactly what’s going on. She’s gonna spank you today. I’m gonna ask her if I can do it.”

“Boy, I’m telling you. I hope your momma lets me beat you,” Holliday said, holding her face directly in front of the child’s face. “His momma gonna beat him.”

She then backed away from the child momentarily. As he continued to cry Holliday suddenly pounced back into the camera’s view, crouching down so her face was separated from the child’s by only inches. She proceeded to let out five extended “Ahhhhhh!” screams at the top of her lungs. “Oh my God, I’d beat him so bad,” she said.

The footage also showed what transpired when the child’s mother arrived at the school, with both officers repeatedly telling her that she needs to use physical violence to control her son.

“I don’t like bad children—bad disrespectful children. I think they need to be beaten and that’s what I told your momma,” Holliday said to the child as he stood next to his mother.

Christmon then took out his handcuffs and said, “You know what these are? These are handcuffs. These are for people that don’t wanna listen and don’t know how to act.”

He then handcuffed the child’s hands behind his back and told him to always listen to adults.

“We want you to beat him,” an officer said.

The child’s mom said she could not go to prison for child abuse, to which the officer incorrectly responded, “You don’t go to prison for beating your child.”

A spokesperson for the Montgomery County Police Department confirmed that following an internal investigation, both officers remain employed by the department. The findings of the investigation are confidential.”'
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Sadly, a frequent encounter with school principals and police. There's an investigation underway in Hawaii about students (usually of color) and police encounters for truancy, disruptive behaviors, etc. The kids are often arrested, hauled to juvie, sent to court, etc. The White & Asian kids, not so much.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Full story unknown so we’ll see.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:54 am

Have there been any reports, or even insinuations, that the cops were actually behaving badly in this particular instance?

Chili, are you hearing any talk on the street up there?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:36 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:54 am

Have there been any reports, or even insinuations, that the cops were actually behaving badly in this particular instance?

Chili, are you hearing any talk on the street up there?
Yeah, that’s why I said we’ll see.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

“armed confrontation", which means the kid had a firearm.

13yo these days can look like 16.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Lani wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:47 am
BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. — A 20-year-old Black man died after a police officer shot him during a traffic stop in a Minneapolis suburb on Sunday, sending hundreds of people into the streets where they clashed with police officers into Monday morning.

The protests in Brooklyn Center came hours before the 11th day of the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer who has been charged with murdering George Floyd, was set to begin in a courtroom less than 10 miles away.
Chief Tim Gannon of the Brooklyn Center Police Department said an officer had shot the man on Sunday afternoon after pulling his car over for a traffic violation and discovering that the driver had a warrant out for his arrest. As the police tried to detain the man, he stepped back into his car, at which point an officer shot him, Chief Gannon said.
Mr. Wright’s mother, Katie Wright, told reporters that her son had been driving a car that his family had just given him two weeks ago and that he had called her as he was being pulled over.

“He said they pulled him over because he had air fresheners hanging from his rear view mirror,” she said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/11/us/b ... d=tw-share

He was on the phone with his mom and heard him be ordered to leave the car , some “scuffling” and an officer telling him not to run. Then the phone call was cut off. She called back and her son's girlfriend told her that the cops shot him. :crying:

People gathered to protest. Police & National Guard are involved.
:mad: It was an oops. :mad:

filly

Post by filly »

What is BCA? Brooklyn Center A....? Why do people talk in acronyms when the subject matter is new to most people?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

filly wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:38 pm What is BCA? Brooklyn Center A....? Why do people talk in acronyms when the subject matter is new to most people?
From Wikipedia - "The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) is a statewide criminal investigative bureau under the Minnesota Department of Public Safety that provides expert forensic science and criminal investigation services throughout the state of Minnesota. The BCA assists local, state, tribal, and federal agencies in major criminal investigations. It is headquartered in St. Paul."

I believe it's typical to bring them in when there's an officer involved shooting.

Edited to add: Everyone in Minnesota knows who the BCA is and Julie Nelson is a local television reporter. I forgot to translate when I posted.
filly

Post by filly »

No, not your fault. It's just always something I find difficult to comprehend. I've seen it in all walks of life. Most recently, the female police officer in the Chauvin case (the one who the defense intends to call as their own witness in their case) did that in her testimony as well. It's a communications mistake.

Thank you for the elucidation MN!
filly

Post by filly »

Also, this is not what I typically think of as an accidental discharge of a weapon. It would've been helpful if the female cop (shooter) didn't announce Mr. Wright had a warrant until he was cuffed, because that seemed to be the point where he started to resist and jumped back in the car.

If the car had been turned off (not sure whether it was keyless, but doubtful if reports are that it was a 2011 model) and the first officer had moved Wright away from the open door things may have gone differently.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Another black man shot by a white cop during a traffic stop. In Minneapolis, Minnesota, where George Floyd was murdered. Ex-officer Chauvin is on trial right now in Minneapolis.
Police in Minnesota on Monday released footage from the body-worn camera of the officer who fatally shot a 20-year-old Black man, and the police chief said he believed the officer intended to fire a Taser during the incident.

Daunte Wright, 20, died after the traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, on Sunday.

Footage from the incident released during a new conference shows two other officers approaching Wright's car and the officer who fired the shot standing behind them.

As the officer on the driver side of the vehicle begins to handcuff Wright, a struggle ensues and Wright appears to reenter the driver side of the car. The officer is heard shouting, "Taser," before she shoots Wright.

"It is my belief that the officer had the intention to deploy their taser but instead shot Mr. Wright with a single bullet," Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said Monday.

Wright's death comes as Minneapolis, 10 miles south, was on edge in the middle of the trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin, who faces murder charges in the death of George Floyd last May.

Police responded to protests Sunday with riot gear as demonstrators gathered in the city, mourning Wright's death. Video posted to Twitter showed police firing gas and a chemical agent at protesters who gathered at the police department Sunday night.

Here's what we know Monday:

What happened during the Daunte Wright shooting?

Brooklyn Center Police Department said in a statement that officers initiated a traffic stop around 2 p.m. Sunday. The statement did not indicate what the initial stop was for other than "a traffic violation." Officers determined the driver had an outstanding warrant and tried to take the driver into custody, police said.

The driver re-entered his vehicle, and an officer shot him, police said. The car drove several more blocks before striking another vehicle. Police said the driver died at the scene, and a woman in the passenger seat was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

No one in the other vehicle was harmed, police said.

Daunte's mother, Katie Wright, told reporters her son was driving a vehicle the family had given him weeks ago and called her as he was being pulled over with his girlfriend in the car, the New York Times reported.

“He called me at about 1:40, said he was getting pulled over by the police,” she said in a Facebook Live video. “He said they pulled him over because he had air fresheners hanging from his rearview mirror.”

The police department said it asked the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to conduct an independent investigation.

Mayor Mike Elliott said a news conference would be held Monday morning at Brooklyn Center City Hall.
Let's assume the cop meant to fire his taser instead of his gun. WTF! A gun and taser feel different. They have different grips. It's hard to unholster a police gun from a police holster.

Any cop that makes this error needs to be fired. No if, ands, or buts.

I absolutely do not think a white man would have been shot by a gun in this situation.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
filly

Post by filly »

Questions I have:

1. How long expired were the tags?

2. What were the warrants or warrant for?

CNN reporting the female cop/shooter is a "senior officer."
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Meanwhile, the girlfriend of a local cop is making some cool/
Screenshot_20210412-084854_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210412-084854_Chrome.jpg (296.04 KiB) Viewed 25538 times
fun stickers for "the guys" on the force.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The governor of Minnesota has declared a 7pm curfew for three metro counties - Hennepin, Ramsey, and Anoka. Sigh. I was going to go to a college film festival tonight, but that can't happen now. But, unlike last year's festival, they can reschedule this one, so it will happen. I just hope that the night stays peaceful.
filly

Post by filly »

Floyd’s girlfriend says she knew Wright, unarmed Black man killed during traffic stop

By Robert Samuels
Courteney Ross, George Floyd’s girlfriend, said she knew Daunte Wright, who was fatally shot by police Sunday.

According to Ross, Wright was a student while she was a dean at Edison High School and was “a silly boy, as goofy as can be,” who required extra attention because he “needed a lot of love.”

Ross said she discovered the connection after speaking at a memorial event for young men who had been killed by the police in St. Paul. As she began to head home, she was introduced to Amity Dimock, the mother of Kobe Dimock-Heisler, an autistic man who was killed by police. While they talked, her husband, John Garcia, checked a local crime app on his phone.
“It’s almost too much,” Ross said.

She said she was on the phone with her sister later that night, when her sister mentioned the victim of the shooting was named Daunte.
“No,” Ross said. “Is he light-skinned? Really skinny? I said, no, no, I couldn’t believe it.”

“Students like Daunte needed more resources but they never got more resources,” Ross said. “Our system doesn’t serve kids like Daunte. And now I’m seeing, more than ever, this system I once believed in, we’re done doing what we need to be doing to protect Black life.”

She said Wright was a gregarious young person that was well-known throughout the community. She was not particularly close to him, but said she last saw him being confronted by police on the corner in Brooklyn Center in the summer of 2019. She said she was walking with Floyd when she saw the incident.

“I’m full of sorrow,” Ross said. “We are constantly doing our disservice to our children. It’s so unfair.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... J2JFONOA7M
filly

Post by filly »

Mr. Wright probably deserves his own thread but:

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

She did the right thing. Must say, I’m surprised.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

This is one instance where it will not surprise me at all if she has serious, long-term emotional issues with this, up to and possibly including suicide. She knew immediately that she had screwed up in a big way and she'll have to live with knowing she killed a man for no reason.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Not just any man, either; an autistic man. I wish I could wave my magic wand and make all police academies include dealing with autism a part of their curriculum. The training demonstrably saves lives.

I hadn’t thought about how the officer might feel. I’m much too blame-happy these days. Thanks, Sugar. :kiss:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Judd Legum
@JuddLegum
"The Washington County Attorney's Office will charge former Brooklyn Center police officer Kimberly A. Potter with second-degree manslaughter in the shooting death on Sunday of Daunte Wright"
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”