Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COPS behaving badly

Uninformed

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by Uninformed »

“Met PC jailed for breaking man’s leg in ‘clear case of racial profiling’”-:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56746987

Incident 12/31/2018, investigation January 2019, suspension and charge August 2019, conviction for grievous bodily harm 04/12/2021, sentence 2 years 3 months, disciplinary action yet to take place.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yamiche Alcindor
@Yamiche
Law enforcement agents arrested former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter at approximately 11:30 a.m. in St. Paul, Minn. in connection with the death of Daunte Wright.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Everybody f*s up at one point in their life, but this f*up ended up creating waves of sadness and destruction for so many! It’s bad enough for the friends and relatives of both the victim and the police officer, but you have protesters harmed by rubber bullets, businesses looted and burned, neighborhoods traumatized by the shooting, protests, police tear gas, etc. It’s all one big clusterf*.
arayder

Post by arayder »

LM K wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:02 pm Another black man shot by a white cop during a traffic stop. In Minneapolis, Minnesota, where George Floyd was murdered. Ex-officer Chauvin is on trial right now in Minneapolis.
Police in Minnesota on Monday released footage from the body-worn camera of the officer who fatally shot a 20-year-old Black man, and the police chief said he believed the officer intended to fire a Taser during the incident.

Daunte Wright, 20, died after the traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, on Sunday.

Footage from the incident released during a new conference shows two other officers approaching Wright's car and the officer who fired the shot standing behind them.

As the officer on the driver side of the vehicle begins to handcuff Wright, a struggle ensues and Wright appears to reenter the driver side of the car. The officer is heard shouting, "Taser," before she shoots Wright.

"It is my belief that the officer had the intention to deploy their taser but instead shot Mr. Wright with a single bullet," Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said Monday.

Wright's death comes as Minneapolis, 10 miles south, was on edge in the middle of the trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin, who faces murder charges in the death of George Floyd last May.

Police responded to protests Sunday with riot gear as demonstrators gathered in the city, mourning Wright's death. Video posted to Twitter showed police firing gas and a chemical agent at protesters who gathered at the police department Sunday night.

Here's what we know Monday:

What happened during the Daunte Wright shooting?

Brooklyn Center Police Department said in a statement that officers initiated a traffic stop around 2 p.m. Sunday. The statement did not indicate what the initial stop was for other than "a traffic violation." Officers determined the driver had an outstanding warrant and tried to take the driver into custody, police said.

The driver re-entered his vehicle, and an officer shot him, police said. The car drove several more blocks before striking another vehicle. Police said the driver died at the scene, and a woman in the passenger seat was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

No one in the other vehicle was harmed, police said.

Daunte's mother, Katie Wright, told reporters her son was driving a vehicle the family had given him weeks ago and called her as he was being pulled over with his girlfriend in the car, the New York Times reported.

“He called me at about 1:40, said he was getting pulled over by the police,” she said in a Facebook Live video. “He said they pulled him over because he had air fresheners hanging from his rearview mirror.”

The police department said it asked the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to conduct an independent investigation.

Mayor Mike Elliott said a news conference would be held Monday morning at Brooklyn Center City Hall.
Let's assume the cop meant to fire his taser instead of his gun. WTF! A gun and taser feel different. They have different grips. It's hard to unholster a police gun from a police holster.

Any cop that makes this error needs to be fired. No if, ands, or buts.

I absolutely do not think a white man would have been shot by a gun in this situation.
In high tension situations fine motor skills go out the door. I am not surprised that when the sh*t hits the fan a cop wouldn't be able to feel the different between a taser pistol and a service pistol, or even remember which hip had the taser and which had the service pistol.

One reason the Glock is so often issued to cops is the it doesn't have a thumb safety which might be mishandled in a shtf situation.

Having said that my question would be why this stop would be a ultra high stress situation in the first place.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

According to City-Data, Brooklyn Center is:

37.9% White
28.6% Black
16.7% Asian
13.6% Hispanic
And other

Just an observation.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

WARNING: This article contains content some readers may find distressing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-16/ ... /100073428

US state of Chicago officials have released graphic body-camera video footage showing a policeman shooting and killing a 13-year-old boy who appeared to have his hands raised.

Key points:
The Chicago Police Department said Mr Toledo had a gun in his hand
However, it's not clear in the video footage
The incident, along with a series of other police shootings, has raised tensions in Chicago

The nine-minute video began by showing an unidentified police officer getting out of his squad car and running after Adam Toledo in an alley at 2:30am (local time) on March 29 in Little Village, a neighbourhood on Chicago's West Side.

The body-camera video from the officer then showed him yelling "stop" to Mr Toledo before he caught up to him and ordered him to show him his hands.

Mr Toledo appeared to raise his hands right before the officer fired one shot and then immediately ran to the boy as he fell to the ground.

"Shots fired, shots fired. Get an ambulance over here now," the policeman is heard saying in the video.

"Stay with me, stay with me," the officer said.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Mr. Toledo" was a 13-year-old boy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:51 pm "Mr. Toledo" was a 13-year-old boy.
It's an Australian site. They call everyone Mr.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:51 pm "Mr. Toledo" was a 13-year-old boy.
It's an Australian site. They call everyone Mr.
Thanks. Didn't notice the site.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

US state of Chicago officials have released graphic body-camera video footage showing a policeman shooting and killing a 13-year-old boy who appeared to have his hands raised.
:fingerwag:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:43 pm
And it was a Reuters story. They can't vet their content? :roll:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:43 pm
What???

Isn’t there a “State of Chicago”????

Perhaps near the “state of intoxication” :bag:
Lani

Post by Lani »

He turned with hands in the air to the officer. It's very clear.

Originally, it was reported that the boy had a gun. Now it's claimed that he threw a gun over a fence before turning. There is a picture of a gun on the ground somewhere, but not where he died.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:01 pm What???

Isn’t there a “State of Chicago”????

Perhaps near the “state of intoxication” :bag:
No, that's lower -- like the Tennessee valley and lower.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Minnesota:

Police: Man Drags Hutchinson Officer With Car, Hits Him With Hammer After Face Mask Dispute
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/ ... k-dispute/

Of course he's white.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Lani wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:57 am Minnesota:

Police: Man Drags Hutchinson Officer With Car, Hits Him With Hammer After Face Mask Dispute
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/ ... k-dispute/

Of course he's white.
It is exceedingly rare for a Black person to kill a police officer. I think it happened twice in the same year several years ago (both Black men were sovcits) and I remember how notable it was at the time to have TWO police killed by Black men because it's so rare for it to happen at all. This is part of why I find it so frustrating that police officers are always so jumpy and afraid of Black men. Because the reality of who is really the most dangerous and likely to kill police officers has been so very clear for so very long.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RVInit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:29 am
It is exceedingly rare for a Black person to kill a police officer. I think it happened twice in the same year several years ago (both Black men were sovcits) and I remember how notable it was at the time to have TWO police killed by Black men because it's so rare for it to happen at all. This is part of why I find it so frustrating that police officers are always so jumpy and afraid of Black men. Because the reality of who is really the most dangerous and likely to kill police officers has been so very clear for so very long.
That may be true some places, but not here. Our department has had 13 officers killed in the line of duty since 1971. Three of those were traffic accidents, 9 officers killed by Black men and one officer killed by a white man.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

That's vile. :sick:

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to put NWA on my iTunes now. One song in particular.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

This story is from September, 2020, but will be relevant for a long time to come. The snippet below is just the tip of the story, there is quite a bit of meat here. It illustrates what we are up against as far as cleaning up law enforcement. I don't buy the "few bad apples" nonsense, and this story illustrates why nobody should buy that particular bunch of BS.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/09 ... oblem.html
Much of the recent debate about policing’s excesses involves a clash of two viewpoints: one claiming that there is something structurally and culturally wrong with American law enforcement that encourages immoral behavior, and another that attributes their worst conduct to “bad apples,” rogue individuals whose actions speak for them alone and do not indict their fellow officers or their profession as a whole. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department provides a helpful literalization of the former point: an entire law-enforcement entity whose members regularly join criminal gangs, earn clout by harassing, assaulting, and killing county residents, and retaliate against their colleagues who dare to oppose them.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:15 am That's vile. :sick:

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to put NWA on my iTunes now. One song in particular.
I am always a bit surprised the Grossman is still around. I remember him from back when he was part of the anti-video game crusade trying to ensure they were not given 1st amendment protection. I keep forgetting that he has found such a lucrative career built from that initial fame.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

https://www.rawstory.com/grand-rapids-p ... littering/
Bodycam footage was released after a violent arrest in Grand Rapids, Michigan in which a Black man was punched several times by police after the car he was in was stopped for littering, TMZ reported, citing police Chief Eric Payne.

The incident happened March 26, but the video was just released showing Diabate Hood, who was pulled over with two other men in the car. Hood refused to step out of the car.

Hood reportedly jumped into the passenger seat, which police took as an attempt to flee. The video shows Hood being held down by three police officers, and one punches him several times in the face. Hood can be heard screaming as officers shouted "stop resisting." Officers then held him down and Hood can be heard yelling, "I can't breathe."

"According to Grand Rapids police, the traffic stop was part of its Operation: Safe Neighborhoods program in response to an uptick of violent crime in the area, and claim they had 'timely and accurate intelligence' to justify it," the report said.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

RVInit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:34 am This story is from September, 2020, but will be relevant for a long time to come. The snippet below is just the tip of the story, there is quite a bit of meat here. It illustrates what we are up against as far as cleaning up law enforcement. I don't buy the "few bad apples" nonsense, and this story illustrates why nobody should buy that particular bunch of BS.
I may have told this story here before; if so, I apologize. I have a very good friend who wanted to be a cop when he was young, and the reason he wanted to be a cop was so he could beat people up with impunity. Of course, he knew better than to tell people that. His parents wanted him to go to college first, and it was while he was in school that he engaged in some serious self-reflection. He said it scared the crap out of him.

He told me all of this fifteen years ago or so, back when some other police brutality case was in the headlines (I can’t remember which - there have been so many). He said that he didn’t think he was all that unique. I shudder when I think about it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Lani

Post by Lani »

Karen Garner was plucking purple wildflowers and strolling back to her home in Loveland, Colo., last year when the police spotted her.

A few minutes earlier, the 73-year-old with dementia had walked out of a Walmart without paying for some items. Now, as the officer tried to arrest her, she appeared confused and frightened.

“I’m going home,” she pleaded, still clutching the flowers as he wrestled her into handcuffs.

By the time two officers finally forced the 80-pound woman into a cruiser, her family says, her arm was broken, her shoulder was dislocated, and her body was covered in bruises.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... nal-probe/

She walked out of the store with $14 in merchandise. When she was stopped, she tried to pay, but the store refused it.

There are longer videos available. She was confused, frightened and in pain. Clearly had a communication problem. She was hogged tied and carried into the car. When she arrived at the jail, the police report stated no injuries. Six hours passed before she was taken to a hospital.

Her family says she has not recovered from the incident and is afraid to go outside.

My legislature just had the opportunity to require that first responders be trained in interacting with people who have Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia. At the last moment, the word "shall" was changed to "may," and the weaken bill passed. I'm sending the link to the full video to my representatives.
Lani

Post by Lani »

So emailed my legislators to thank them for passing the law, but I am disappointed that the language was change from shall (be trained) to may (be trained). I attached the link to the video below to show them the dangerous difference between "shall" and "may" have dementia training.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”