Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COPS behaving badly

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by neonzx »

Lani wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:49 am So emailed my legislators to thank them for passing the law, but I am disappointed that the language was change from shall (be trained) to may (be trained). I attached the link to the video below to show them the dangerous difference between "shall" and "may" have dementia training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deLlROkphCw
Woah. I'm not a trained LE officer... but it should be just common sense how to approach such situations. There was another thread here today where the 'if you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail'. These Cops need training or need to find a new line of work. Assholes.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Arresting officer is excellent
Officer being arrested does bad

Sheriff’s Deputy Remains on the Force After Using Racial Slur, Begging Police Officer Not to Arrest Him for DUI (WATCH)
A sheriff’s deputy in Pinal County, Arizona was captured on film using a racial slur and repeatedly begging police officers not to “ruin” his career by arresting him after he was pulled over on suspicion that he was driving under the influence of alcohol, newly released body camera footage obtained by Phoenix NBC affiliate KPNX-TV shows.

The video, from December 2020, depicts officers with the Arizona State University (ASU) Police Department stopping Pinal County Sheriff’s Deputy Julian Navarrette after they observed his vehicle speeding and swerving at approximately 2 a.m. in Tempe.

Navarrette tells the officers that he’s had “just a couple of drinks” and flashes his badge before he’s asked to step out of the vehicle.

Slurring most of his words, Navarrette then pleads with the officer to let him off the hook.

“But you’ve been drinking, dude. And you were driving,” the officer says to Navarrette.

“Yeah, but I’m also a police officer,” he responds.

It doesn’t matter if you’re an officer or not,” the officer says.

“Then that puts me — my job — at risk,” Navarrette says.

“You don’t think that’s gonna put mine at risk if I don’t do this?” the officer asks.

Navarrette then requests that he be allowed to put another person behind the wheel.

“Dude, I understand. But can I maybe someone else put like behind the real,” he says — then corrects himself and repeats, “behind the wheel.”

An increasingly frustrated Navarrette then curses: “Don’t put my fucking career at risk.”

In another exchange with an officer, Navarrette utters a racial slur.

“This isn’t New York man,” the officer says.

“New York? N***a I’m from Arizona, dude. I’m not from New York,” Navarrette says, scoffing at the insinuation.

“Dude, first of all, watch your mouth,” the officer says in response.

According to KPNX, officers administered a breathalyzer test and Navarrette blew a .121. The legal limit for people over the age of 21 in Arizona is a blood alcohol concentration of .08.

Back at the station, Navarrette tells the arresting officer that he could’ve just let him park the car and there would be “no report” to fill out.

The fact that you’re telling me that, tells me you shouldn’t be an officer,” the officer says in response.

Despite his concerns, Navarrette’s career was not ruined. A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office told KPNX that Navarrette was put on modified duty following the incident — meaning he could not drive a sheriff’s vehicle on his own — but has since returned to regular duty. However, the sheriff’s office did confirm that he was “currently the subject of an internal investigation” in connection with the incident.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Honolulu Police claimed that a burglar entered a house and 911 was called. Police arrived at the house where the burglar was in the driveway near the sidewalk. They told him to get down on the ground. Then he attacked them, so an officer killed him. One officer was hospitalized. Two were treated and released.

HPD has refused to release the cam videos except for a brief, selected portion. Newspapers (and idiots who comment on them) claimed that he was a violent, mentally ill, large man. (Oh! And dark skinned.)

Turns out:
Unmarked police car, car lights turned off, no siren.
No streetlights, no outside lights, no moon.
Police did not identify themselves.
Pointed a maglight at his face and a gun at him.
Charged at him.
He tried to get away, which led to fighting.
He's dead. Now there are a widow and 2 little fatherless children.
The police announced that they were police officers after the man died.

It's not know yet why he went to the house. Turns out that it's a public accommodation and the door was open. He went in and removed his shoes. Was yelled at and left. There are 2 houses on the property. One is a temple which people are welcomed to enter.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:20 pm Honolulu Police claimed that a burglar entered a house and 911 was called. Police arrived at the house where the burglar was in the driveway near the sidewalk. They told him to get down on the ground. Then he attacked them, so an officer killed him. One officer was hospitalized. Two were treated and released.

HPD has refused to release the cam videos except for a brief, selected portion. Newspapers (and idiots who comment on them) claimed that he was a violent, mentally ill, large man. (Oh! And dark skinned.)

Turns out:
Charged at him.

It's not know yet why he went to the house. Turns out that it's a public accommodation and the door was open. He went in and removed his shoes. Was yelled at and left. There are 2 houses on the property. One is a temple which people are welcomed to enter.
Did you watch the video?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yes and the complaint.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:20 pm Honolulu Police claimed that a burglar entered a house and 911 was called. Police arrived at the house where the burglar was in the driveway near the sidewalk. They told him to get down on the ground. Then he attacked them, so an officer killed him. One officer was hospitalized. Two were treated and released.

Turns out:
Plainly visible in the video is a marked car and burglary in progress calls are not responded to with lights and sirens. Neither are bank robberies.
Plainly visible in the video are at least 2 street lights, including the one the suspect was standing almost directly under, and the house was lit up well enough for me to identify it on a stroll through Google street view.
Correct.
Yes, they did. They were responding to a felony in progress call and he wasn't cooperating.
Charged at him.
Nope. He continued towards the first officer giving him commands and attacked him. We know that because the body cam goes belly up when the officer is knocked down. He recovers when the second officer tases the suspect.

It's not know yet why he went to the house. Turns out that it's a public accommodation and the door was open.
It's been in private hands since 2018 and reported several times for being an illegal STR.
He went in and removed his shoes. Was yelled at and left. There are 2 houses on the property. One is a temple which people are welcomed to enter.
The Honbushin Honbu sold it in 1989.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/04/ ... omplaints/

The information the officers had was that a man had come into a woman's house, she did not know him or what he wanted, she (hysterically) pointed him out to the officers, he refused to follow their commands, he attacked an officer badly enough that he spent 2 days in the hospital and injured 2 others badly enough they required medical attention, and tasing him had no effect on him.

What would you have done differently in their situation with the knowledge they had?

I have no idea what happened beyond the 3 body cam videos and news articles, but to assume any officer involved shooting is automatically not justified or is racist is just wrong.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:05 am

Turns out:
Plainly visible in the video is a marked car and burglary in progress calls are not responded to with lights and sirens. Neither are bank robberies.
Plainly visible in the video are at least 2 street lights, including the one the suspect was standing almost directly under, and the house was lit up well enough for me to identify it on a stroll through Google street view.
Correct.
Yes, they did. They were responding to a felony in progress call and he wasn't cooperating.
Charged at him.
Nope. He continued towards the first officer giving him commands and attacked him. We know that because the body cam goes belly up when the officer is knocked down. He recovers when the second officer tases the suspect.

It's not know yet why he went to the house. Turns out that it's a public accommodation and the door was open.
It's been in private hands since 2018 and reported several times for being an illegal STR.
He went in and removed his shoes. Was yelled at and left. There are 2 houses on the property. One is a temple which people are welcomed to enter.
The Honbushin Honbu sold it in 1989.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/04/ ... omplaints/

The information the officers had was that a man had come into a woman's house, she did not know him or what he wanted, she (hysterically) pointed him out to the officers, he refused to follow their commands, he attacked an officer badly enough that he spent 2 days in the hospital and injured 2 others badly enough they required medical attention, and tasing him had no effect on him.

What would you have done differently in their situation with the knowledge they had?

I have no idea what happened beyond the 3 body cam videos and news articles, but to assume any officer involved shooting is automatically not justified or is racist is just wrong.
I would not believe anything the police said in the early stages of the case. Sad but true. I would wait till it gets sorted out. Likewise the stories of police excessive violence. I would note what is being said, and then I would wait.

I would also note that trying to equate individual acts of police violence with institutional racism (as if the institutional racism is proved or disproved by the individual acts of violence) is a mistake. The racism is seen in the whole, and plays out in the individual cases, knowingly or unknowingly.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:38 pm
I would not believe anything the police said in the early stages of the case. Sad but true. I would wait till it gets sorted out. Likewise the stories of police excessive violence. I would note what is being said, and then I would wait.
I have tried to make that point multiple times in the past. The police either lie or don't know, the news either leaves out or doesn't know, and for the first (usually) few days as more info comes out that contradicts the original story, the more the general public loses confidence in both the police and the media. The police are often trying to cover their ass and the media is just sloppy or lazy, or a combination of the two when trying to get there first with the news. But if the information isn't released immediately the public screams about a cover-up.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Turns out:
Charged at him.

Could you please link to the info you're posting?

Based on what you've posted, the suspect attacked an officer so badly that the officer was hospitalized. The shooting occurred after the attack. That seems like a reasonable shooting (I'd like to read your sources though before I can say that, though.)

There are times when shootings are necessary. The case of Ma'Khia Bryant is tragic. Sadly, the shooting appears to have been necessary to save others from being harmed by Ma'Khia.
LM K

Post by LM K »

I've been reading what I can find. I'm going to link to an article, but not quote it because I'm tired.

The officers didn't jump out of their vehicles guns blazing.

All 3 officers were in uniform. All 3 were attacked. Myeni must have realized the 3 cops were officers as he attacked all 3.

All 3 officers were injured. One was knocked unconscious before the gun was fired.

One officer shouted "Taser" before deploying the taser, which did not stop Myeni. You can hear the taser buzzing as the attack continues. Then one shot was fired, which didn't stop the attack. The officers tried to use non-lethal force before using lethal force.

Let's be honest. If the suspect had attacked 3 civilians, one civilian tried a taser which didn't work, one civilian was unconscious, and all 3 were injured, would we be accusing those civilians of being racist for using lethal force? No, we would not.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/04/1 ... -shooting/

If there wasn't body cam footage, I'd be very suspicious of this police footage. But the body cam shows the police cars, the street lights, the attack, the unsuccessful use of a taser, the single gunshot, the continuing attack, and then the 3 gunshots.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

LM K wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:31 pm I've been reading what I can find. I'm going to link to an article, but not quote it because I'm tired.

The officers didn't jump out of their vehicles guns blazing.

All 3 officers were in uniform. All 3 were attacked. Myeni must have realized the 3 cops were officers as he attacked all 3.

All 3 officers were injured. One was knocked unconscious before the gun was fired.

One officer shouted "Taser" before deploying the taser, which did not stop Myeni. You can hear the taser buzzing as the attack continues. Then one shot was fired, which didn't stop the attack. The officers tried to use non-lethal force before using lethal force.

Let's be honest. If the suspect had attacked 3 civilians, one civilian tried a taser which didn't work, one civilian was unconscious, and all 3 were injured, would we be accusing those civilians of being racist for using lethal force? No, we would not.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/04/1 ... -shooting/

If there wasn't body cam footage, I'd be very suspicious of this police footage. But the body cam shows the police cars, the street lights, the attack, the unsuccessful use of a taser, the single gunshot, the continuing attack, and then the 3 gunshots.
Thanks for the link.
His wife, meanwhile, told Hawaii News Now that Myeni ― who is Black ― was from South Africa and that the police chief’s descriptions of his actions appear to indicate officers or those who called 911 didn’t understand his cultural customs. She described him as “gentle” and “the best father.”
What??? How the fuck are they supposed to know if he even has "cultural customs", much less what they are, just from looking at him? And by all accounts, Ma"Khia Bryant wasn't violent or aggressive either until she tried to stab 2 people.
Earlier this week, when asked whether Myeni was aggressive toward those in the home where the incident happened, Ballard said Myeni had been exhibiting strange behavior before officers arrived.

“He walked into the house and he was just erratic, very odd behavior,” Ballard said.
This, coupled with his aggression and lack of response to the taser brings up the question of drugs. The tox report should be interesting.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hope they're at least going to be taking the cost of the squad cars out of their pay...

2 DC police cars were totaled after officers drag raced each other and crashed. All 4 cops were hospitalized.
Four police officers in Washington, DC, were taken to the hospital after drag racing their squad cars last Thursday, Fox 5 DC's Lindsay Watts reported. The two squad cars were also totaled.

Fox 5 obtained an internal email to command staff written by Durriyyah Habeebullah, 6th district commander of the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia.

According to Habeebullah, the drag race happened around 5 p.m. near Kenilworth Park, in the city's northeast quadrant.

"Two 6D scout cars were totaled because officers decided instead of fighting crime, patrolling their beats, or engaging the community - they decided to drag race each other on Anacostia Avenue at 5 pm in the evening," Habeebullah wrote, according to Fox 5 DC.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Jim wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:33 am Hope they're at least going to be taking the cost of the squad cars out of their pay...

2 DC police cars were totaled after officers drag raced each other and crashed. All 4 cops were hospitalized.
Four police officers in Washington, DC, were taken to the hospital after drag racing their squad cars last Thursday, Fox 5 DC's Lindsay Watts reported. The two squad cars were also totaled.

Fox 5 obtained an internal email to command staff written by Durriyyah Habeebullah, 6th district commander of the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia.

According to Habeebullah, the drag race happened around 5 p.m. near Kenilworth Park, in the city's northeast quadrant.

"Two 6D scout cars were totaled because officers decided instead of fighting crime, patrolling their beats, or engaging the community - they decided to drag race each other on Anacostia Avenue at 5 pm in the evening," Habeebullah wrote, according to Fox 5 DC.
It's a small glimmer of hope for transparency that they didn't try to cover up what happened. They didn't even try to spin it.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I've been in a lot of pain for several days. I'll try to fill in the blanks now.

It was a dark and rainy night. Literally. A neighbor has stated that she could not see that the car was a police car and the parking lot was dark. She heard someone yell "what are you doing here", and then all hell broke loose.

He did enter the house, which had an open door and unlatched screen door. Taking off your shoes is what you do here. He left the house as requested. There is only speculation at this point that he was going to the Hindu temple/restaurant/garden on the property. If that sounds weird, the temple and the grounds are a part of the community and a peaceful calming place to think things out or to simply let go of thoughts. According to his wife, he was preparing for his immigration interview when he learned that his uncle had died, and he was the next in line to lead the village (South Africa). He and his wife talked about what they could do to support the village from Hawaii, such has providing clean drinking water. Then he went for a walk in their neighborhood to think about how to help his village.

HPD acknowledges that the car lights were off, no siren, no identification by the officers until he was dead. They still refuse to release the 911 call or a transcript or all the videos. The 911 caller was supposedly hysterical although he had left. The house is a bnb, which the neighbors have opposed for years because owners have people coming and going 24/7 while claiming they only do 30-day minimum rentals. (And thus reducing their taxes.) Lindani walked into a property that is open 24/7.

Because of HPD bad behavior, a new policy was initiated and then further strengthened after the death of Mr. Floyd. Intervention, de-escalation, no high speed chases and shooting into cars. The policy was overdue because of the violence and the corruption of HPD. The police chief and his prosecutor-wife are now in prison. To cover their crimes, they produced a video to make someone else seem criminal and had him arrested. The cases against them dragged on for a long time, and the State had to pay millions for their defense because they were State employees.

Despite new HPD policy, police chased a car with teens and one 22yo who had definitely engaged in illegal activities. High speed chase, shooting into the car. Death and injuries. Investigation is underway. A few days later, Lindani was shot.

The number of people shot and killed by Honolulu police officers has been increasing in recent years, according to HPD's own use of force report. After Chief Kealoha was found guilty, a new chief was selected. Recently, the Police Commission complained and gave her a negative performance review. She said, basically, fuck you, and resigned.

The attorney representing Lindani's family is not an ambulance chaser. I know him from the 1980's. He filed a complaint quickly because he has good reason to believe that evidence will be altered or disappear.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I would be asking to see those reports. My encounters always involved how I look like a suspect.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Beating up a 73 year-old lady with dementia? And laughing about it afterward? Talk about sick...

'Ready for the pop?': Colorado police officer joked about excessive force used in arrest of elderly woman, video shows
A Colorado police department has said it wasn't aware of complaints regarding the arrest of 73-year-old Karen Garner, who has dementia, but new video made public Monday shows officers watching bodycam footage, joking about their use of force and noting the case would trigger an internal review.

Video released Monday by Garner's attorney shows Officer Austin Hopp knew the case would be reviewed by "Blue Team," the department's system of keeping track of certain reports, including uses of force and threats of force during arrests.

According to police station surveillance video, Hopp later told fellow police officers “ready for the pop?” as he showed them his body camera footage that was part of the arrest made in Loveland, Colorado, about 50 miles north of Denver, last year.
:snippity:
Garner suffered a dislocated shoulder, fractured arm and sprained wrist during her June 26, 2020, arrest, according to the lawsuit.

“This is utterly disgusting," Schielke said in a news release with the video Monday. "... Loveland knew. They’ve known all along. They failed Karen Garner. They failed the community. And they did it all on camera."
LM K

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:46 am I've been in a lot of pain for several days. I'll try to fill in the blanks now.

It was a dark and rainy night. Literally. A neighbor has stated that she could not see that the car was a police car and the parking lot was dark. She heard someone yell "what are you doing here", and then all hell broke loose.

He did enter the house, which had an open door and unlatched screen door. Taking off your shoes is what you do here. He left the house as requested. There is only speculation at this point that he was going to the Hindu temple/restaurant/garden on the property. If that sounds weird, the temple and the grounds are a part of the community and a peaceful calming place to think things out or to simply let go of thoughts. According to his wife, he was preparing for his immigration interview when he learned that his uncle had died, and he was the next in line to lead the village (South Africa). He and his wife talked about what they could do to support the village from Hawaii, such has providing clean drinking water. Then he went for a walk in their neighborhood to think about how to help his village.

HPD acknowledges that the car lights were off, no siren, no identification by the officers until he was dead. They still refuse to release the 911 call or a transcript or all the videos. The 911 caller was supposedly hysterical although he had left. The house is a bnb, which the neighbors have opposed for years because owners have people coming and going 24/7 while claiming they only do 30-day minimum rentals. (And thus reducing their taxes.) Lindani walked into a property that is open 24/7.

Because of HPD bad behavior, a new policy was initiated and then further strengthened after the death of Mr. Floyd. Intervention, de-escalation, no high speed chases and shooting into cars. The policy was overdue because of the violence and the corruption of HPD. The police chief and his prosecutor-wife are now in prison. To cover their crimes, they produced a video to make someone else seem criminal and had him arrested. The cases against them dragged on for a long time, and the State had to pay millions for their defense because they were State employees.

Despite new HPD policy, police chased a car with teens and one 22yo who had definitely engaged in illegal activities. High speed chase, shooting into the car. Death and injuries. Investigation is underway. A few days later, Lindani was shot.

The number of people shot and killed by Honolulu police officers has been increasing in recent years, according to HPD's own use of force report. After Chief Kealoha was found guilty, a new chief was selected. Recently, the Police Commission complained and gave her a negative performance review. She said, basically, fuck you, and resigned.

The attorney representing Lindani's family is not an ambulance chaser. I know him from the 1980's. He filed a complaint quickly because he has good reason to believe that evidence will be altered or disappear.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
I'm sorry you've been hurting so mach, Lani. I have several chronic pain conditions and life is quite complicated (at times shitty) because of these conditions.

Any links you can share would be very much appreciated. I want to learn all I can, and links help me a lot.

I'm quite angry that the HPD hasn't released the video of the Andrew Brown Jr shooting. They promised to release the raw footage. Now they're "redacting" footage. They promised to show the family the raw footage yesterday but showed them only 20 seconds. This angers me a lot.
LM K

Post by LM K »

DA launches criminal investigation of Loveland police officers in arrest of disabled woman
The 8th Judicial District Attorney's Office has launched a criminal investigation into the Loveland police officers involved in the arrest of an elderly disabled woman last summer that left her with multiple injuries.

"Upon seeing videos of the arrest of Karen Garner, I requested an independent investigation by our Critical Incident Response Team," 8th Judicial District Attorney Gordon McLaughlin said in a tweet Monday night. "That protocol is now in place. An unbiased, thorough, & transparent criminal investigation will be conducted."

CIRT investigations are typically launched to investigate police shootings, but this multi-agency team can also be used to investigate other incidents where a member of the public is injured or killed in an incident involving law enforcement, like an allegation of excessive force or in-custody death at the Larimer County Jail.
:snippity:
Lani

Post by Lani »

There are ever increasing articles and conflicting statements in the local newspapers. Just google his name for more stuff that just keeps on coming. Some of my comments are from the district chair who told me about his meeting with the neighbors including the woman who saw & heard part of the incident.

At this point I'm just waiting to hear the 9/11 call.

Edited to fix many booboos.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Yeah, the conflicting info has been frustrating. I can't imagine what Brown's family is going through.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

COPIAH CO., Miss. (WLBT) - The Copiah County Sheriff’s Office says a man has turned himself in for a deadly shooting Tuesday.

Deputies arrested Harold Duane Poole and charged him with murder. Poole is a Drug Enforcement Agent, the sheriff says.

The incident happened in the 1700 block of Rhymes Road near Crystal Springs.

Investigators say Poole called 9-1-1 about a man trespassing on his property.

When deputies arrived on the scene, they discovered the body of Chase Brewer, 47.

Poole is awaiting his initial court appearance, but investigators are tight-lipped about any other details in the case.

The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is assisting Copiah County deputies with this investigation.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Long, horrible thread. But no surprises for us!

https://twitter .com/nate_thayer/status/1387807451676909573
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Lani wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:02 am Long, horrible thread. But no surprises for us!
I hope they've been checking his arrest records for those POCs who were convicted of felonies...and I also hope they've figured out who this guy recruited in his police department.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Azastan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:17 am
Lani wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:02 am Long, horrible thread. But no surprises for us!
I hope they've been checking his arrest records for those POCs who were convicted of felonies...and I also hope they've figured out who this guy recruited in his police department.
Someone tagged Tim Scott.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”