Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COPS behaving badly

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/mi ... uxbndlbing
Minneapolis Police Destroyed Case Files Amid George Floyd Protests

Officers in the Second Precinct in northeast Minneapolis destroyed a cache of documents, including inactive case files, search warrants and records of confidential informants, after the Third Precinct headquarters was overrun by protesters and burned down on the other side of the city, the Star Tribune reported.

Officer Logan Johansson wrote in a memo that he and other investigators in the Second Precinct decided to destroy the documents shortly after May 28, 2020, in a bid to ensure sensitive information didn't end up in the wrong hands.

It was a "direct response to the abandonment of the Third Police Precinct in Minneapolis by city leadership," Johansson wrote.

The Second Precinct was not targeted by protesters, but the decision to destroy the files has now led public defender Elizabeth Karp to ask a judge to throw out the case against her client, Walter Power.

Police executed a no-knock search warrant of Power's rented home on April 28 and found almost 3,000 doses of oxycodone and other drugs, according to the newspaper. Power was later charged with first-degree drug sale, a felony.
► Show Spoiler
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Uninformed wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:36 am
What the fuck!

1. Why are 4 plainclothes officers doing arrests in unmarked cars? Are plainclothed police officers dispatched for robberies? Seriously?

2. Why did the officers cause a car accident to apprehend someone when they're driving unmarked vehicles? The victim wasn't even speeding. This wasn't a police chase. The victim could have been seriously injured when hit twice while still in her vehicle.

3. Why didn't the unmarked cars have lights so that people could have the opportunity to cooperate?

4. Based on the lawsuit, the victim was never given an opportunity to cooperate.

5. The victim had a taser on her neck the minute she was on the ground. She was threatened repeatedly with non-lethal violence when she asked questions. The victim is 4'10. Certainly short people can become violent. But there's no indication that the victim resisted at any point

6. Officers refused to give the victim their badge numbers. Her lawyer has no idea if this incident is even being investigated. Delaware law shields everything regarding officers and investigations.

Uniformed officers have their name and badge number visible on their uniform.

I can't find anything in Delaware law that says police must provide a name or badge number. Which means anyone could say they're a plainclothed police officer, assault you, and walk away without any accountability.

7. I doubt there is even a police report about this incident. If there is, the victim's lawyer hasn't been able to get even a redacted copy. This bothers me.

8. The officers weren't wearing body cameras. The police department is refusing to say if dashcam video exists.

Recently Delaware passed a law requiring police to wear body cams. The new law is waiting on the gov's desk. I don't know if plainclothed officers will be required to wear body cameras.

You can read the lawsuit at the below link.
NAACP State Conference of Branches President Richard “Mouse” Smith says he witnessed part of the incident, and has since communicated with a State Police supervisor.

NAACP member and political organizer Coby Owens is calling for reforms to increase transparency in policing.

“The fact that these officers walked away from this case and we don’t know their badge numbers or their names is despicable,” he said Thursday.

Changes to the Law Enforcement Officers’ Bill of Rights, which shields records of internal investigations into police conduct from public view, failed to pass the General Assembly this year—even after advocates intensified their calls for reform in the wake of George Floyd’s death, and after a state task force recommended amendments to lawmakers. Police unions opposed changes to the law.

Watson’s lawyers say police told them the officers involved in the incident were not wearing body cameras. A bill requiring all police in Delaware to wear body cameras passed the General Assembly this year and is awaiting the Governor’s signature. The legislation would see development of a statewide body camera program, which is expected to be implemented in 2022.

Igwe says State Police have offered to pay to fix Watson’s vehicle, and that Watson plans to accept this money. But he says it’s not enough.

“It’s not enough to fix the vehicle and give an apology and throw some change at her,” Igwe said. “Compensation is accountability. If you’re truly sorry, and you truly want to make sure this doesn’t occur, then you need to add some dollar amounts to it.”
Thankfully, part of this incident was witnessed by the NAACP State Conference of Branches President. If it hadn't been, there would be no one to give any support to the victim's claims.

I don't believe that plainclothed police officers should do any form of traffic stops. Why would anyone think someone in an unmarked car in plainclothes without colored lights is safe to cooperate with?

The victim has all the traditional signs of having PTSD. She is working with a therapist.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K

Post by LM K »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:08 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/mi ... uxbndlbing
Minneapolis Police Destroyed Case Files Amid George Floyd Protests

Officers in the Second Precinct in northeast Minneapolis destroyed a cache of documents, including inactive case files, search warrants and records of confidential informants, after the Third Precinct headquarters was overrun by protesters and burned down on the other side of the city, the Star Tribune reported.

Officer Logan Johansson wrote in a memo that he and other investigators in the Second Precinct decided to destroy the documents shortly after May 28, 2020, in a bid to ensure sensitive information didn't end up in the wrong hands.

It was a "direct response to the abandonment of the Third Police Precinct in Minneapolis by city leadership," Johansson wrote.

The Second Precinct was not targeted by protesters, but the decision to destroy the files has now led public defender Elizabeth Karp to ask a judge to throw out the case against her client, Walter Power.

Police executed a no-knock search warrant of Power's rented home on April 28 and found almost 3,000 doses of oxycodone and other drugs, according to the newspaper. Power was later charged with first-degree drug sale, a felony.
► Show Spoiler
I guess files aren't secured very well. It's absurd that filed aren't secured well enough to withstand possible attack. And why aren't electronic records kept in an off-site secure server. It's the fucking 21st century. There's no reason for such insecure and lax record keeping.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Even if they had the right person, this behavior is not OK.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I especially like how since she had her driver's window rolled down, they broke out the rear window instead. Nice touch!

Over/under on the cops getting any discipline?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

So I live just north of where this happened and might be able to shine a bit of light on the context. Right now there are a LOT of older white people freaking out about how 'violent' the area has become (read : they discovered facebook and how obsess over every minor crime they would never have heard about otherwise) and the police are under increasing pressure to 'do something' about it. I frequently see people calling for increased police violence so we don't 'become like wilmington'. Oh, and of course black families have been moving into their neighborhoods so the sky is falling.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

neeneko wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:12 pm So I live just north of where this happened and might be able to shine a bit of light on the context. Right now there are a LOT of older white people freaking out about how 'violent' the area has become (read : they discovered facebook and how obsess over every minor crime they would never have heard about otherwise) and the police are under increasing pressure to 'do something' about it. I frequently see people calling for increased police violence so we don't 'become like wilmington'. Oh, and of course black families have been moving into their neighborhoods so the sky is falling.
Give them my number. Old White People Freak-Out is my specialty.
raison de arizona

► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

@greg_doucette
Replying to
@greg_doucette
Just to be clear here, there is no scenario where what this officer did is lawful

Worst case: he's intentionally planting evidence

But even the best case? He's "staging" the crime scene with evidence he previously seized, which is still illegal
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

So watching the additional context video and response, looks like this LOOKED really bad, but might have been nothing. The officer is heard on camera talking about where the baggie came from (the passenger's pocket) and pointing out that there was nothing in it. But.. he only said all that after being caught on camera, and 'paraphernalia' can be enough for an arrest, so strikes me as he was caught being shady and stepped back.
raison de arizona

She shouldn't have spit on his feet, but the reaction seems a little extreme.
Atlanta police sergeant kicks handcuffed woman in face, video shows

Two Atlanta police officers are facing disciplinary action after disturbing video showed one of them kicking a handcuffed woman in the face, department officials said.

The footage, posted to Instagram Monday, shows a woman face-down outside an apartment in the city’s Summerhill section, where she was being detained as a domestic dispute was investigated, according to the post.

The unidentified woman, who was not charged, was kicked once in the face by a sergeant after appearing to spit on his boots and pants. The sergeant’s partner did not react to the blow, the video shows.

“Upon reviewing the video, the actions of the sergeant appear to be unacceptable and we are also concerned with the apparent lack of reaction from another officer present during the incident,” Atlanta police said in a statement Monday.

The sergeant was placed on unpaid suspension while the officer was put on administrative assignment, department officials said. Neither was identified.
:snippity:
https://nypost.com/2021/07/27/atlanta-p ... ace-video/
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/officer-jo ... video/#app
Colorado officer facing felony charges after video of violent arrest released: "I can't even breathe"

The chief of police in Aurora, Colorado, is apologizing after video of a brutal arrest captured on the body cameras of two officers was released Tuesday.

In the videos, Officer John Haubert could be seen pointing his gun at Vinson, ordering him to lie face down and show his hands, which he did.

The officer then hit Vinson with his pistol at least seven times. One cut on Vinson's head required six stitches. He later held him by the neck for almost 40 seconds.

"I can't even breathe," Vinson could be heard crying.

Aurora Police Chief Vanessa Wilson called the arrest a "despicable act."

"We're disgusted. We're angry. This is not police work," Wilson said. "This is not the Aurora Police Department. This was criminal."
The video is horrific. :shock: :mad:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Cop has NO MERCY For disabled woman - Port Orange Police
28 Jul 2021
James Madison Audits

I’m working on getting this woman a custom cart. If you’d like to help or know someone that can provide s new cart unbranded please reach out. This woman is NOT HOMELESS Just fyi

A previous post about the Port Orange Police Department and a disabled woman charged with possessing a shopping cart has been corrected and updated after review of the body camera.

According to the article officer McKay did not order her to put groceries on the sidewalk.

The woman’s permission to use the cart is mixed. She has had, currently has permission to use the cart off the store grounds. She now has written permission.

Some of the information I received was inaccurate, not much changed and take a listen where it was highlighted.

This woman has permission to use the shopping cart off premise from the store manager. Officer McKay would not check with management about her statement that she had permission.

All parties are presumed innocent and this is the opinion of my review after watching the video.

In my opinion Officer McKay in this video does not have a very good method of communicating with people as shown with this woman. The way he asks for I’d, sit tight, and shows no mercy whatsoever about s longtime resident. He could have arrested her but otherwise shows no mercy in charging her.

As you hear in the video McKay says the chief doesn’t want them off the property. I wonder if they have zero discretion due to that statement

Update- the chief who McKay was speaking about no longer works at this city.

Full body camera.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

cause video was re-posted recently on Youtube
A mentally ill man died after being hit 18 times with a Taser in his home. The police officers weren't charged.
GINA BARTON | Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Two West Milwaukee police officers who broke down a mentally ill man’s door and tased him in the shower 18 times before he died will not be criminally charged, Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm has decided.

More than 30 minutes elapsed between the first time the officers deployed their Tasers and the time Adam Trammell lost consciousness in the hallway of his apartment building, known to officers as a place that housed people with mental illnesses, according to police reports.

In between, Trammell suffered a black eye, a broken rib and more than two dozen cuts and bruises, according to the medical examiner's report.

On the officers’ body camera footage, Trammell can be heard screaming in agony.

He spent some of his last conscious moments vomiting profusely.

https://eu.jsonline.com/story/news/loca ... 552071002/

Chisholm concluded there was “no basis to conclusively link” the death of Trammell, which occurred in May, to the officers’ actions.
The family of a man who died after tasing by West Milwaukee police will get $2.5 million
GINA BARTON | Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

The Village of West Milwaukee has agreed to pay $2.5 million to the family of a mentally ill man tased repeatedly before his death in May 2017.

The settlement, approved by the Village Board Monday evening, resolves a federal civil rights suit filed by the family of Adam Trammell, who was 22 when police broke down the door to his apartment and tased him as he showered.

https://eu.jsonline.com/story/news/loca ... 552071002/
raison de arizona

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 pm https://youtu.be/ShME03iZwrc
Ward appears to be a piece of crap. Peterson cut corners and got caught. Can't violate the public trust like that, I hope he learns a lesson from this because I doubt Ward did.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

NYPD cops fired for alleged ‘shocking professional and sexual misconduct’ with teen
By Craig McCarthy
July 27, 2021 | 4:13pm | Updated

Two NYPD cops raped a vulnerable teen member of the police youth program, cruelly taking advantage of the underage girl to “satisfy their depraved interests,” an internal department judge has ruled.

The officers’ “shocking professional and sexual misconduct” included behavior from one of them that “would cause any responsible adult, let alone a parent, to recoil in horror,” the NYPD judge wrote in a scathing ruling made public last week.

Then-Officers Sanad Musallam and Yaser Shohatee “targeted’’ the girl, who was 15 at the time and a member of the NYPD’s Explorers program, according to the disciplinary documents.

Musallam and Shohatee, now 34 and 41, respectively, separately raped her amid dozens of phone chats and hundreds of text exchanges, which included “sexually explicit” photos, between 2015 and 2016, the records claim.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/27/two-nypd- ... ith-teen/t
LM K

Post by LM K »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 pm
The video of Ward pulling a gun on the guy. Thankfully there's video of this incident.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Ex-Florence Cop Who Quit Over Meth Allegations Gets Busted With Meth in Car

Michael Phillips, a former officer with the Florence Police Department who resigned while he was being investigated for allegedly dealing meth, was arrested on Friday morning after a deputy reportedly found a large quantity of illegal drugs in his car.

Phoenix New Times previously reported allegations against the officer that included using and selling meth while on the job in early 2020. Last month, Florence police released an internal investigation report that said the claims were considered "credible."

The accusations include reports that Phillips traded sex for drugs and supplied a local drug dealer with meth. Phillips resigned from his post in March 2020 before the probe could be completed, prompting Florence Police Chief Bruce Walls to close the investigation. The Pinal County Attorney's Office said it never received a case referral from the Florence Police Department regarding Phillips and, as a result, no charges were filed against him at the time.

Walls has refused to discuss the case publicly.

Now, in the aftermath of New Times' exposure of the probe with articles in June and July, Phillips' arrest seems to show that the previous allegations had merit.
:snippity:
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/fl ... s-11719257
raison de arizona

Garland's PPD Civil Rights investigation announcement: https://www.c-span.org/video/?513956-1/ ... -practices
Concerns:
1. excessive force
2. discrimination
3. free speech (protestors)
4. disabilities act
5. homeless

City response:
► Show Spoiler
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Maybe not the correct topic.

“Appeals Court Upholds Murder Conviction Of Ex-Dallas Officer Amber Guyger”:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ap-us-da ... 53fa4df76f

“That she was mistaken as to Jean’s status as a resident in his own apartment or a burglar in hers does not change her mental state from intentional or knowing to criminally negligent,” the judges wrote. “We decline to rely on Guyger’s misperception of the circumstances leading to her mistaken beliefs as a basis to reform the jury’s verdict in light of the direct evidence of her intent to kill.”
“Defense attorneys could still ask the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals — the state’s highest forum for criminal cases — to review the appeals court’s ruling.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Sadly, the cause of police abuses is cell phone cameras and videos. Before that, we rarely had credible cases of police misconduct. Get rid of cell phones e videos and were all set.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:12 pm Sadly, the cause of police abuses is cell phone cameras and videos. Before that, we rarely had credible cases of police misconduct. Get rid of cell phones e videos and were all set.

:sarcasm:
FIFY ;)
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Cops, or whole police departments.
JPD fails to comply with Ethics Commission order, having withheld public records for 2 years

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Despite being ordered by the Mississippi Ethics Commission to produce public records 3 On Your Side requested in 2019, the Jackson Police Department has not complied with the state agency, missing its deadline last Friday.

The final order, issued Aug. 6, requires JPD Police Chief James Davis to produce any remaining records the department had not yet provided within seven days of the order.

The records include departmental memos and text/phone logs requested in April and May 2019.

The order came after WLBT filed seven public records requests with the city of Jackson for JPD records from January to June 2019, and in each instance the police department failed to produce records by the seven-day deadline required by state law.

:snippity: :snippity:
https://www.wlbt.com/2021/08/19/jpd-fai ... s-2-years/

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”