"Jack" Flynn suit against CNN for labeling him as QANON

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
woodworker

"Jack" Flynn suit against CNN for labeling him as QANON

Post by woodworker »

CNN Says Federal Judge Should Not Allow Devin Nunes’s Defamation Attorney to Represent Michael Flynn’s Brother in Lawsuit

https://lawandcrime.com/lawsuit/cnn-say ... n-lawsuit/

Attorneys for CNN on Thursday implored a federal judge in Manhattan not to allow a lawyer known for representing Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) in a series of failed defamation lawsuits to represent the brother of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn in a defamation lawsuit against the network.

Attorney Steven Biss on Wednesday filed a motion to represent John “Jack” Flynn and his wife, Leslie Flynn, in the Southern District of New York (SDNY) where in March they filed a $75 million lawsuit accusing CNN of falsely claiming that they were QAnon followers in a Feb. 4 report. The complaint asserted that the network’s “false attributions exposed Plaintiffs to public scorn, ridicule and contempt, and lowered their esteem in the community, causing insult, embarrassment, humiliation and substantial injury to Plaintiffs’ reputations.”

. . .

“The ability of an out-of-state attorney to appear pro hac vice is a ‘privilege’ and ‘not a right granted either by statute or the Constitution,” attorneys for CNN wrote in a motion opposing Biss’s admission. “Here, this Court should deny Mr. Biss’ application because he has history of making bad faith allegations against defendants in defamation actions, including his conduct towards CNN.”

. . .

“Just a few days ago, the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland sanctioned Mr. Biss in the amount of $21,437.50 in attorneys’ fees and $52.26 in expenses because he ‘engaged in bad faith conduct in filing the last-minute Amended Complaint’ against CNN,” the motion stated. “In particular, the Court concluded that Mr. Biss’ filing of an amended complaint that did not address the deficiencies that led to the dismissal of the original complaint was ‘the sort of bad faith courts have repeatedly found to merit sanction.’”

. .

Additionally, the motion pointed out that Biss was previously suspended from practicing law for one year in 2009 for “a deliberately wrongful act that reflects adversely on his fitness to practice law.” The CNN motion also quoted a recent appellate court opinion that said Biss “even during his suspension period […] failed to be forthright about his suspension status with an opposing party when engaging in negotiations on behalf of a client, resulting in an additional 30 day suspension of his license.”
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: "Jack" Flynn suit against CNN for labeling him as QANON

Post by Foggy »

I'd love to see his actual damages described. Did McDonald's refuse to serve him or sumpin'?
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Foggy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:30 am I'd love to see his actual damages described. Did McDonald's refuse to serve him or sumpin'?
I'll come to his defense here and say that, in my opinion, falsely accusing someone of being a member of QAnon should be defamation per se. Therefore, there is no need to prove actual damages.

Then again, I think saying "Where we go one, we go all" is kind of res ipsa loquitur here. Wasn't Jack in Mike's video reciting that?
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:56 am
Foggy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:30 am I'd love to see his actual damages described. Did McDonald's refuse to serve him or sumpin'?
I'll come to his defense here and say that, in my opinion, falsely accusing someone of being a member of QAnon should be defamation per se. Therefore, there is no need to prove actual damages.

Then again, I think saying "Where we go one, we go all" is kind of res ipsa loquitur here. Wasn't Jack in Mike's video reciting that?
But, as in any defamation case, truth is a perfect defense.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Yes. Hence my remark about res ipsa loquitur. I'm saying that reciting the WWG1 nonsense is definitive proof that someone is, in fact, part of QAnon.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

His damages are that he hasn't been able to monetize all of this as well as his brother has. So sue for defamation and, win or lose, he ups his appeal to the nutz. It is all about the benjamins.

Return to “Current Politics”