Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fox News, Newsmax, OAN, and other TV purveyors of fake news

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
noblepa

Re: Fox News

Post by noblepa »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:26 pm
Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:12 pm Oh, and will Melania be there, or stay at the spa?
Melania WHO? She very rarely participated at rallies when Donny was President. She's got an exit strategy, and it doesn't involve supporting her husband's disillusions, imo. She''s gonna take her kid and run.
And a couple of hundred million dollars.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

OAN and NewsMax are even farther to the right than Fox, if that's possible.

OAN and NewsMax don't seem to have the "hard news" side of the house to offset, at least a little, the lies being told. Fox, at least has a few reporters who try (a little) to push back against the Hannity/Carlson/Ingraham opinion shows.

I read that 700,000 people watched Trump's speech on OAN the other night. They were the only network to carry it in its entirety. Normally OAN gets about 200,000 viewers. (Or, was it NewMax?)

Will the pressure from these upstarts cause Fox to move even further right?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

700,000 out of 230 million doesn't seem to be very high.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:24 am 700,000 out of 230 million doesn't seem to be very high.
That’s because the real figure is 700 million out of 230,000, so like eleventy-thousand percent of the nation was watching!

Epic!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:24 am 700,000 out of 230 million doesn't seem to be very high.
True, but it was more than three times what they normally get.

The numbers were probably disappointing for the Orange one, but then, he probably doesn't believe them and thinks that 100 million people watched. Nielson is part of the deep state!

My question remains: will competition from OAN and NewsMax push Fox further right?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I think the answer is, only until Rupert passes. His sons don't seem to be as bad. But :shrug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

noblepa wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:28 am
True, but it was more than three times what they normally get.

The numbers were probably disappointing for the Orange one, but then, he probably doesn't believe them and thinks that 100 million people watched. Nielson is part of the deep state!

My question remains: will competition from OAN and NewsMax push Fox further right?
They were already moving away from the trumpeter before he was ever out of office, so why would they move back now?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:32 am I think the answer is, only until Rupert passes. His sons don't seem to be as bad. But :shrug:
I don't know, The oldest one running things, Lachlan (sp?) is said to enjoy the chaos. The younger one, James, left the family biz because of it. I'll look for the linky. I know I read about it a few months back.

This one mentions James leaving. I think the Lachlan attitude is the more recent one. Still looking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/busi ... -corp.html

Not the original article I read, but this covers it.

https://crooksandliars.com/2021/06/tuck ... ry-now-fox
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 am They were already moving away from the trumpeter before he was ever out of office, so why would they move back now?
To hang on to his followers, perhaps. Fox's entire raison d'etre is to promulgate the conservative point of view. Roger Ailes pitched the idea of a conservative TV network to Richard Nixon while the latter was still President. At the time, cable systems were little more than community shared antenna systems, so the idea went nowhere. By the 1990's satellites and cable systems had become ubiquitous and Fox News was born.

IMHO, Fox has been one of the principle drivers of the political polarization in this country. As their viewers drift even further right, Fox may follow them. Fox has always been obsessed with ratings. If the ratings show that viewers are shifting to OAN and NewsMax, they may follow.

Besides, I don't think that Fox's soft-pedalling on their support for Trump indicated any kind of shift to the left.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:roll:

Oh, and turned on the *serious* news show at 6AM my time. First up - BORDER CRISES!!
raison de arizona

Kendra wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:59 am

Some new study came out that the RWNJs are crowing about, claiming it vindicates TFG and proves he was right all along. I haven't looked it up yet.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

noblepa wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:51 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 am They were already moving away from the trumpeter before he was ever out of office, so why would they move back now?
To hang on to his followers, perhaps. Fox's entire raison d'etre is to promulgate the conservative point of view. Roger Ailes pitched the idea of a conservative TV network to Richard Nixon while the latter was still President. At the time, cable systems were little more than community shared antenna systems, so the idea went nowhere. By the 1990's satellites and cable systems had become ubiquitous and Fox News was born.

IMHO, Fox has been one of the principle drivers of the political polarization in this country. As their viewers drift even further right, Fox may follow them. Fox has always been obsessed with ratings. If the ratings show that viewers are shifting to OAN and NewsMax, they may follow.

Besides, I don't think that Fox's soft-pedalling on their support for Trump indicated any kind of shift to the left.
I don't have a link, but I have read that faux noise moved back to the former guy because their ratings were going down and they were losing viewers to OAN, etc.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:34 am

I don't have a link, but I have read that faux noise moved back to the former guy because their ratings were going down and they were losing viewers to OAN, etc.
I think I read that too somewhere.

I can't recall if I mentioned it, but Brian Stelter's book on all things Fox - Hoax - is now out in paperback with updates relating to 1/6 and beyond. I bought a Kindle edition last year, and the updates were available to download there. The prologue is unsettling. No wonder Kevin McCarthy wants to sweep it under the rug. If anyone is interested, I can highlight some of it and paste here.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:41 am
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:34 am

I think I read that too somewhere.

I can't recall if I mentioned it, but Brian Stelter's book on all things Fox - Hoax - is now out in paperback with updates relating to 1/6 and beyond. I bought a Kindle edition last year, and the updates were available to download there. The prologue is unsettling. No wonder Kevin McCarthy wants to sweep it under the rug. If anyone is interested, I can highlight some of it and paste here.

Please. Either here or I can start a new thread for the book.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Happy to do so. Perhaps a new thread would be best so those not interested can avoid and I won't get slammed for spamming :bag:

I have time today so let's roll...
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'll start the thread and name it Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth. If you have a better idea for a shorter title, let me know and I'll edit. It will be ready when you have the time.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:59 am https:// twitter.com/atrupar/status/1402966015827398662

Oh, and turned on the *serious* news show at 6AM my time. First up - BORDER CRISES!!
New study? It's old news, as it was already know that hydroxy-whatevahh in specific scenarios and as prescribed by hospital doctors (not tv charlatans even when standing in the WH in front of a mic) can *assist* in releaving the effects of lung and breathing issues in general, and such can in specific cases help hospitalized covid patients.
raison de arizona

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:15 pm New study? It's old news, as it was already know that hydroxy-whatevahh in specific scenarios and as prescribed by hospital doctors (not tv charlatans even when standing in the WH in front of a mic) can *assist* in releaving the effects of lung and breathing issues in general, and such can in specific cases help hospitalized covid patients.
This is the new study they are crowing about: Yahoo - Study shows hydroxychloroquine and zinc treatments increased coronavirus survival rate by almost three times
Actual study - Not peer reviewed, FWIW.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

covfefe wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:26 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:15 pm New study? It's old news, as it was already know that hydroxy-whatevahh in specific scenarios and as prescribed by hospital doctors (not tv charlatans even when standing in the WH in front of a mic) can *assist* in releaving the effects of lung and breathing issues in general, and such can in specific cases help hospitalized covid patients.
This is the new study they are crowing about: Yahoo - Study shows hydroxychloroquine and zinc treatments increased coronavirus survival rate by almost three times
as I mentioned and now pick from the article, when administered by hospital doctors
if distributed at higher doses to ventilated patients with a severe version of the illness.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:06 pm
covfefe wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:26 pm
as I mentioned and now pick from the article, when administered by hospital doctors
if distributed at higher doses to ventilated patients with a severe version of the illness.
Inquiring minds want to know the survival rate of Covid19 patients who were vaccinated.
Il factotum
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

zekeb wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:09 pm
► Show Spoiler
Inquiring minds want to know the survival rate of Covid19 patients who were vaccinated.
Interesting question. I have not seen any numbers about vaccinated people getting reinfected. I only know that vaccination is highly effective against getting infected in the first place, and I have read that the illness progresses mild if vaccinated.

On the other hand just in the last days I have seen a news item from the UK that mentioned that the first jab itself was insufficient to protect from the new Indian variant (is it "Delta" under WHO new naming system?), implying the two jab kind of protection, and wondering how the single jab protection works.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yes, the variant formerly known as India is now ▲.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:32 am I think the answer is, only until Rupert passes. His sons don't seem to be as bad. But :shrug:
Oh yeah. From Keith Murdoch to Rupert Murdoch to Lachlan Murdoch. Maybe in ten generations or so there might actually be a Murdoch that resembles a human being.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:10 pm Yes, the variant formerly known as India is now ▲.
Give that it appears to be the most pernicious variant, I assumed ▲ stood for "Darwin."
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Return to “Current Politics”