Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fox News, Newsmax, OAN, and other TV purveyors of fake news

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Fox News

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:34 am First hour of weekend Fox & Friends. Heavy on Kamala border visit. Outrage over DOJ/ Georgia lawsuit. Capitol riots? Trump Org story? Crickets.

They have McCarthy on deck later. Will they ask him about the tourists on 1/6?
No coverage of the Surfside collapse?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:16 am
Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:34 am First hour of weekend Fox & Friends. Heavy on Kamala border visit. Outrage over DOJ/ Georgia lawsuit. Capitol riots? Trump Org story? Crickets.

They have McCarthy on deck later. Will they ask him about the tourists on 1/6?
No coverage of the Surfside collapse?
Not much until the second hour. It's really striking compared to full coverage from CNN and MSNBC.. We did get to see photos from Hegseth taking his sons to a rifle factory and getting their first rifles. :shrug:

Edit typo. Stupid Autocorrect.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Fox News Agrees to $1 Million Fine for Violating Human Rights Law
Lloyd Grove
Tue, June 29, 2021, 7:00 PM·

Despite Fox News’ claims to have repaired the company’s toxic workplace culture since the firing of founder and chairman Roger Ailes in July 2016, Rupert Murdoch’s media empire has effectively admitted to ongoing misconduct that includes sexual harassment, discrimination, and retaliation against victimized employees, and has agreed to pay a million-dollar fine for what New York City’s Commission on Human Rights called “a pattern of violating of the NYC Human Rights Law.”

The settlement agreement, reached last week with the human rights commission, contains the largest-ever financial penalty assessed in the agency’s six-decade history, and also requires Fox News to remove mandatory confidential arbitration clauses from the contracts of on-air talent along with other employees and contributors for a period of four years when they file legal claims under the city’s human-rights law outside of the company’s internal process.

It “also demands immediate changes to policies surrounding reporting sexual harassment, retaliation, training, and compliance with the NYC Human Rights Law,” according to a statement from the commission, which added: “The Commission will monitor the network on a quarterly basis for a period of 2 years to ensure compliance.”

Among the policy changes required by the Commission, the network has agreed to provide all employees with a clear definition of “retaliation” and training for bystanders to intervene in incidents and to properly report any witnessed misconduct.

Labor lawyer Nancy Erika Smith, who represented former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson in the sexual harassment and retaliation lawsuit that cost Ailes his job (and won Carlson a $20 million settlement from Fox News’ parent company 21st Century Fox), called the right-leaning cable channel’s settlement agreement, especially its admission of guilt, “monumental.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-agr ... 04903.html
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Changing corporate culture can be extremely difficult even when much of the company wants to change. You have to get rid of that old unhealthy coat that you cling to because that coat is comfortable and the only thing you know. I wonder if Fox leadership gladly went into this because it was easier than trying to clean up the culture from within. They can implement things much quicker and avoid the pushback because, well, we are required to do this.

One might hope they clean things up themselves because it is the right thing to do, but knowing how groups of people can be, that can be a messy and extremely slow process (remember to not expect those at Fox News to see things the same way an outsider may). If this is their strategy to clean things up, I'll take it.
101010 :towel:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Beyond the 'comfort of the coat' problem, many of those patterns develop because the system rewards or punishes based off them. They become critical tools of power within the organization. There is a bit of a chicken and egg problem where, if everyone changes, the system changes, but if only some people change, they will likely get crushed by the people who do not. Everyone has an incentive for OTHER people to change but not them.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

It seems to me that a million dollars to Fox News is just the cost of doing business, rather than something that is likely to deter them from continuing to violate NYC's Human Rights Law. Heck, they gave $20M to Gretchen Carlson, this million is just a drop in the proverbial bucket. But I suppose if Carlson's labor lawyer is calling it "monumental," maybe it is.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Corporate probably sneezes 1M a day, but bragging rights are worth something.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The Fox is notoriously concerned with the bottom line. I would think this judgement infuriates The Fox. :biggrin:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

July 01, 2021 - 07:51 AM EDT
Fired Fox News anchor files defamation lawsuit against network, CEO over misconduct allegations
BY DOMINICK MASTRANGELO

Former Fox News anchor Ed Henry is suing the network for defamation for statements the company made when they fired him over allegations of sexual misconduct.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. district court in Newark, N.J., seeks punitive damages and accuses top brass at Fox News of issuing a statement that "sandbagged" Henry in July of 2020, according to USA Today.

"On Thursday, June 25, we received a complaint about Ed Henry from a former employee's attorney involving willful sexual misconduct in the workplace years ago," Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott and Jay Wallace, Fox News Media's president and executive editor, said in a memo at the time. "We immediately retained an outside law firm (which has never represented Fox News in investigations or litigation) to independently investigate the claims. Ed was suspended the same day and removed from his on-air responsibilities pending investigation."

Henry has denied allegations of misconduct while at the network.

Scott, Henry's lawsuit alleges, gave "credence to the false allegations because she was trying to save her own career and burnish her image as a tough, no nonsense female executive who cleaned up Fox News."

In reality, the suit argues, "Scott had long been an instrument to cover up the existence of sexual misconduct at Fox News," and had a long history of covering up allegations of misconduct by upper management at the network.

In a statement issued this week, Fox News shot down the claims Henry made about Scott and the network in his suit.

“As we stated one year ago, Fox News Media conducted a thorough independent investigation into Ed Henry immediately after we were made aware of a serious misconduct claim against him by a former employee. Based on the results of those findings, we promptly terminated Mr. Henry’s employment for willful sexual misconduct and stand by the decision entirely," the statement reads.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5610 ... k-ceo-over
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I. Just. Can't.
Fox News’ Jesse Watters Argues Native Americans’ Lands Not Stolen: ‘We Won This Land on the Battlefield’
(Video)

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fox ... 50838.html

(sorry for the yahoo link but I'm lazy this morning)
“Congresswoman Bush said two really dumb things,” Watters said. Emboldened, he continued: “She says this land was stolen. This land wasn’t stolen. We won this land on the battlefield and we bought it, right? We purchased Spain – I mean we purchased Florida from Spain. We have the receipts. What, do you want to give Florida back to Spain?” :bangwall:

Then, his fellow co-host, journalist and political commentator Geraldo Rivera, inquired about the Seminole, Apache and Navajo Tribes – populations of Indigenous people displaced and devastated by Spanish settlers and English raiders.

“Well, what about them, Geraldo?” Watters replied, sharply. “We won that territory on the battlefield. It was an ugly, brutal battle, but we won it. We’re not just gonna give everything back to the indigenous people of this country.”
:fuckyou:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

So if we won the South on the battlefield can we send the carpetbaggers down there again?
Il factotum
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tomi Lahren calls flight attendants "Nazis of the air" for enforcing the airlines' mask mandates.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Tomi Lahren calls flight attendants "Nazis of the air" for enforcing the airlines' mask mandates.
BIMBO!!
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:07 pm Image
Laura's brother, Curtis...

:popcorn:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm guessing this is about door-to-door vaccination programs?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:18 pm I'm guessing this is about door-to-door vaccination programs?
Well, yeah... that's the latest 'triggered' outrage in a myriad of unhinged right-wing grievances.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:sick:

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Well, at least they are tagging him as "Fmr President..." so perhaps they are nearing acceptance in their stages of grief.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

I prefer the word "ex." That word carries a different connotation.
Il factotum
northland10

Post by northland10 »

That may be but we don't call former Presidents ex-president even if they are voted out or resting before the end of their term. In fairness, if we called Trump that, we should call Carter that.

Just because Trump is a vile jerk does not mean with dispense with our civility. If we allow Trump that concession, he wins.
much ado

Post by much ado »

northland10 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:58 am That may be but we don't call former Presidents ex-president even if they are voted out or resting before the end of their term. In fairness, if we called Trump that, we should call Carter that.

Just because Trump is a vile jerk does not mean with dispense with our civility. If we allow Trump that concession, he wins.
:yeahthat:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

But it's still okay to call him the Orange ShitGibbon, right?
Image Image Image Image
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:32 pm But it's still okay to call him the Orange ShitGibbon, right?
As long as you it in a dignified way.

Return to “Current Politics”