Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Cops Behaving Well

Volkonski
Verified:

Cops Behaving Well

Post by Volkonski »

Texas family praises how officers handled 911 call over kids playing with Nerf guns

https://www.newschannel6now.com/2021/05 ... ntent=kauz
It turns out someone called 911 on the family.

Reyna said the caller stated there were gunshots and people fighting at the home.

Texas City Police Officer Taive Pineda, one of the officers who responded, said he just saw Nerf guns.

The officers quickly made sure to ease any fears once they realized the situation.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Re: Cops Behaving Well

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Awww. That's nice. :batting:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:35 pm Texas family praises how officers handled 911 call over kids playing with Nerf guns
Someone SWATTED the family. Not nice. Glad the cops that responded had their wits about them. They may have even sensed the true cause.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:04 am
That is pretty awesome.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

In my work, I go through background checks more and more these days. The various systems are interconnected well enough that my RH index is generally all that is needed to populate the fields on the computer screen. It is always great to see the sense of relief of their faces as they read through my stuff. Up to that point they had their public faces on that maintained the stern social cordiality. My background returns, and the tension leaves them. It's quite visible, and must be exhausting for them. I can only imagine the people they meet, but I'm glad to spread a little joy where I can.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

This is an old story. My dad was with the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) in London when I was young. He attended a fairly serious accident that a couple visiting from Minneapolis had been in. The wife was in the hospital for a while. My dad brought the husband home to stay with us. They remained in contact for as long as they were alive and we got to visit with their family when I was in high school. Just a nice, old story that this thread made me think of. :kiss:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

jemcanada2 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:50 am This is an old story. My dad was with the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) in London when I was young. He attended a fairly serious accident that a couple visiting from Minneapolis had been in. The wife was in the hospital for a while. My dad brought the husband home to stay with us. They remained in contact for as long as they were alive and we got to visit with their family when I was in high school. Just a nice, old story that this thread made me think of. :kiss:
Very nice old story!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

An NYPD officer sprinted through Times Square to get a 4-year-old shooting victim to safety

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/us/nypd- ... index.html

:thumbsup: :lovestruck:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

I got pulled over today...

Just a random breath test (RBT* at 10:30 am - blow n go) and license check.

1 minute of my time.

2 friendly officers doing the checks.

I'm strongly in favour of RBTs and MDT (Mobile Drug Tests) and license checks.

just another instance where NSW police are doing their duty well.

*there is a reality show called "RBT" that has a camera crew with various state police doing these, fun to compare and contrast to other nations similar shows.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

BolaWrap! Spider man gun! Whatever you call it, it is WAY not lethal, and it works!
Video: Tempe Police Use 'Spider-Man Gun' to Ensnare Man on Mill Avenue

On Tuesday, BolaWrap released bodycam video touting the first use of its tether-shooting device in the company's own hometown of Tempe.

The Nasdaq-listed company, whose president is the founder and former chairman of Taser International, said a May 28 incident on Mill Avenue is the latest example of a new "tool" that can help reduce deadly encounters with police. Its signature product, the BolaWrap, shoots a Kevlar cord at people that can wrap their arms or legs. The device is being used increasingly by police agencies around the country since emerging on the market in 2019.

Called a "Spider-Man gun" by some and compared to the net-throwing weapon in the 1968 original Planet of the Apes movie, the product is described on the company's website as a "hand-held remote restraint device" that shoots an eight-foot tether at 513 feet per second, or about 340 miles per hour, toward its target.

Taking the name "bola" (Spanish for ball) from a snaring weapon used for centuries by indigenous people and gauchos in South America, it can reportedly wrap a person at a range of 10 to 25 feet. Instead of balls at the end of the tether, the BolaWrap has weighted, barbed hooks.
:snippity:
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/te ... d-11561405

Way to not kill an emotionally disturbed individual Tempe Police!

The bar is low, but this is pretty cool.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/loc ... -swallowed

ROOTSTOWN, Ohio — An Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper successfully performed the Heimlich Maneuver on a man who attempted to swallow a bag of marijuana after he was pulled over for speeding last Saturday, according to the OSP.

Dash camera video posted by OSP shows Hoskin asking the driver, “Can you breathe?” after he pulls him over. Hoskin then helps the man out of the car and performs the Heimlich Maneuver on him until he expels the bag of marijuana. The man then apologizes to the trooper.

“Do you want to die over a minor misdemeanor?” Hoskins said after the man recovered from choking. EMS was called to the scene and checked the man to ensure he was okay, Santiago said.
Dave from down under

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-07/ ... /100439188

A routine traffic stop on an Adelaide CBD street has prevented an 84-year-old man from depositing "thousands" of dollars into the hands of a scammer, police say.

When police spoke to the driver, reminding him of the traffic rules, the man said he was in the city "looking for a specific bank to deposit a large amount of money".

"A conversation with the man revealed he was in fact the victim of a scam after receiving a phone call from someone purporting to be from a major bank," SA Police said.

Police said the scammer told the 84-year-old he was from the fraud section of a major bank.
But police said they stopped the man before he transferred any money, saving him "thousands".

They have used the instance as a reminder to the public about the prevalence of scam phone calls.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Metra Cops Stop Man From Jumping Off 127th Street Bridge
Body camera captures Metra officers pulling the man back from the rail. "Nothing is worth taking your life, okay," officer told the man.
https://patch.com/illinois/alsip-crestw ... eet-bridge
BLUE ISLAND, IL -- Two Metra police officers are credited with preventing a despondent man from leaping off a bridge into a rail yard in Blue Island. The dramatic incident was captured on one of the officers' body camera.

During the late afternoon of Sept. 15, the street and bridge were closed because Metra was rebuilding the road's crossing with the Metra Electric Blue Island branch tracks at 127th Street and Lincoln, just east of the bridge. As construction was wrapping up for the day at 5:30 p.m., workers saw an eastbound white Honda Accord go around two "roads closed" signs on 127th Street and drive into the construction zone.

Workers waved at the driver to try to get him to stop, but he continued until his car got struck at the impassable crossing. They waved at the driver to try to get him to stop, but he continued until his car got stuck in the impassable crossing. The workers then saw the driver get out of the car and walk back the way he had driven, onto the 127th Street bridge.

The man was standing near the bridge when two Metra officers, Sgt. Will Wright and Officer Andrea Clunie, confronted him, Metra officials said. As the officers were ordering him to place his hands behind his back, so they could arrest him for trespassing, Metra officials said the man climbed over the bridge and tried to jump off. Both officers grabbed him and pulled him back.
Note: Metra cops are the police department for the northeast Illinois Metra commuter train service (all Class 1 railroads have their own police departments mainly to protect their property but because Metra is passenger only, they are more involved in overall security on trains and off).

A few years back, there was a lady threatening to jump off a 12 story parking garage in the Chicago area. The police patiently sat and waited at a distance to not scare her while they got ahold of if to think her husband who was able to talk her down. As I could see the seen from my office floor I was rather worried that I would turn around and suddenly see her go but they correctly assessed the situation and made sure she did not feel threatened enough to go. In this case, they did not have that option but were close and quick enough to grab him.

In this day in age when we see all the bad folks in the police, it is heartwarming to see the acts of caring that still come from our law enforcement officers.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Florida sheriff Grady Judd on show, for once with a remarkable busting operation

humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:46 am Florida sheriff Grady Judd on show, for once with a remarkable busting operation

Thanks for sharing! That was really informative.

But the Sheriff needs to tone down the editorial content. His comments are not part of the drug bust and the investigation.

Quit ragging on California too. Floriduh is no Garden of Eden.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

humblescribe wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:44 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:46 am Florida sheriff Grady Judd on show, for once with a remarkable busting operation

Thanks for sharing! That was really informative.

But the Sheriff needs to tone down the editorial content. His comments are not part of the drug bust and the investigation.

Quit ragging on California too. Floriduh is no Garden of Eden.
His position as Polk County Sheriff is officially non-partisan but he is constantly (when he's not self aggrandizing, that is) spouting off in support of right wing nut job politicians. Even though when running for the Sheriff's position the candidates don't run on any official party line, he finds it easier to get reelected because of all the right wing nut job editorializing and support of nut jobs.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bbflatt

Post by bbflatt »

It is said that the most dangerous place to be in Polk County is between Grady Judd and a television camera.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bbflatt wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:08 pm It is said that the most dangerous place to be in Polk County is between Grady Judd and a television camera.
A lot of the radio shock jocks in SoFla love the guy for just this reason. And I hate him for it.

I have extended family by choice (my elder goddaughter and her infant son) in Polk County. For the obvious TLDR reasons mostly involving the baby's daddy, they can't leave. And showboating top cops like Judd make her less safe, and that's coming from a guy who spent two years working in a foreign country where radicalized religious violence and police overreaction to same are huge interconnected fears for which they paid a premium salary for me to serve.

In short, this week's bust is probably the only thing Grady Judd has publicized that I actually approve.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I barely know who the county sheriff is. I wonder if that's how it should be for a law-abiding citizen.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:10 am I barely know who the county sheriff is. I wonder if that's how it should be for a law-abiding citizen.
Clearly, your local dude or dudette is not a Constitutional Shurf.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

And nobody got shot. :bighug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:brokenheart: That poor young man.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Again, as I have said with different language -- don't start bullshit conflicts/invasions. This goes for politicians in any aisle. Iraq and Afghanistan were a stupid waste of human lives. The government does care of these young men and women service people. And they don't care of the civilians in the countries we invade. Stay the F out.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Thanks be for that cop! :bighug:

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”