Acts of Kindness

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: Acts of Kindness

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:16 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 970670001/
Teacher brings kindness, cheer to 650 students with handmade scarves

In his first year at Lew Wallace School 107, the special education teacher said his fellow teachers and their students took him in. They made him part of the family, Thomas said.

His students often arrive in near-freezing temperatures dressed in nothing more than a sweatshirt, so Jeffrey Thomas wanted to do something nice for them.
"Scarves," he thought. Nearly 650 of them.

Over a few months, Thomas clipped coupons and shopped Black Friday sales at fabric stores. He went through two cutting mats, several pairs of scissors and cut more than 100 yards of fabric down into eight-inch wide fleece scarves. He made them in more than 50 patterns, so the kids would have a choice.

Lew Wallace is a unique school. Part of the Indianapolis Public Schools district, it sits on the northwest side of the district. With a recent transfer, the school has students from 34 different countries. Many of them are warm countries, Thomas said, and this is their first exposure to snow.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:45 am

:-D
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:48 am

Addie wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:45 am
:-D
:yeah:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:09 am

Help Tina Johnson Rebuild Her Home $65,488 of $40,000 goal
Raised by 2,249 people in 16 hours

Good news - Tina and I are now in touch and will speak in the coming days about our next steps. She's extremely moved by the response - thank you again to everyone who has been so eager to help.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:44 am

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html

Lengthy article well worth reading. My suggested lede: Lawyer does good for homeless.
Vending machine for homeless just launched in U.K., to debut in U.S. cities

The first vending machine launched this month in a shopping center in Nottingham, stocked full of supplies like water, fresh fruit, energy bars, chips and sandwiches, as well as socks, toothpaste, toothbrushes and even books. The machine was installed by Action Hunger, a charity directed by [Huzaifah] Khaled.

N&W Global Vending, one of the world's largest vending companies, gave Khaled a 10,000-pound, or about $13,000, machine for free. Meanwhile, Khaled reached out to the Friary, a day center serving the homeless in the Nottingham area. Now, as a partner organization to Action Hunger, the Friary gives out keycards to its patrons, which are programmed to permit up to three items being dispensed per day. Users have to show up at the Friary once a week to continue receiving access to the keycards.

The idea is users do not become dependent on the machines, and are working toward a long-term plan for getting off the streets, Khaled explained. He wants Action Hunger's low-cost vending machines, which are restocked daily by volunteers, to complement other existing services, and believes continued engagement with local support services is key to ending the cycle of homelessness.

"In an ideal world, I would never have needed to start this charity," he said. "I would love nothing more than to shutter this charity next week."

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Does this really belong here ;)
Police pulls over a van, over a cup of coffee

The driver likely was worried when a DeForest squad car put on its lights and pulled a minivan over earlier this week.

But as the officer approached the vehicle, he grabbed a cup of coffee that had been left on the top of the car and returned it to the driver.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:46 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-new ... ar-BBI97nc
Boston police officer drives stranded family home to Maine

Five minutes. That's how much the Malenfant family missed their train Saturday after arriving from New York. They were in the Empire State because 19-year-old Kori Malenfant had to undergo brain surgery four days earlier.

"We ended up going through pre-op, surgery and recovery," Kori Malenfant said. "We ended up being there about a week and a half."

Stuck at North Station and with temperatures in the single digits, the Malenfants only wanted to find a place for their luggage as they prepared to wait hours for the next train to Maine. They went to ask some officers for help.

"We were just setting up to do the Boston Garden detail for the Bruins game," Boston Police Capt. Kelley McCormick said. "They looked tired. (Kori) looked cold and frail."

McCormick knows just how difficult post-op can be. His wife was a recipient of kidney transplant and McCormick knew firsthand the emotional and physical toll. So he loaded the family into his cruiser, saying they could stay with him as he went to get gas. But after gassing up, he kept driving.

"We got to about Lynnfield and she goes, 'Are you driving us to Portland,'" McCormick said. "I said, 'Yes, this is a kidnapping but it's legal.'"

About two hours later, the family was back home in Maine.

McCormick was able to get back to Boston and report for duty at the Bruins game. And remember him saying his wife is an organ recipient? Capt. McCormick happens to be her kidney donor.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:43 pm

There are good people out there.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:46 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-new ... ar-BBI97nc
Boston police officer drives stranded family home to Maine

Five minutes. That's how much the Malenfant family missed their train Saturday after arriving from New York. They were in the Empire State because 19-year-old Kori Malenfant had to undergo brain surgery four days earlier.
:snippity:
I read this to my husband this morning. His response? "These stories really annoy me. Don't the police have better things to do? What if something had happened and the cop wasn't there to stop it?" Grumpy gus! :violin:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 am

Lovely act of kindness, but they could have taken a cab to South Station and taken the Concord Coach bus like the rest of us do. Better wi-fi, more departures.

In fact, if they took the train up from NY, they were already at South Station.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 pm

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:26 pm

WaPo
Each morning, bus driver braids hair for girl whose mother died

Isabella Pieri has become very good at taking care of herself. The 11-year-old gets ready for school on her own ever since her mother died two years ago from a rare disease.

Her father, who leaves for work early in the morning, has stepped up to the challenge of parenting on his own. But there are a few aspects of having a daughter that remain baffling for him. One of them is her hair.

“I originally just gave her a crew cut because I didn’t know how, and it was all tangled and I couldn’t get it out for anything,” Philip Pieri told KSL-TV, a news station in Salt Lake City not far from where the Pieris live in Alpine, Utah.

Isabella grew her hair out and got in the habit of pulling it back in a ponytail before heading out to the school bus, according to KSL-TV.

Then one day, she noticed that her bus driver, Tracy Dean, was braiding another student’s hair into a style Isabella admired. Isabella told KSL-TV she summoned her courage and asked Dean to give her a hand, too.

Dean said she’d be more than happy to. And the braiding began.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Pennsylvania police officer helps elderly man visit wife in the hospital
An act of kindness in northern Pennsylvania is going viral after a police officer helps an elderly man get to the hospital.

Roger Baker, 84, says he needed to see his wife after she suffered a medical emergency.

He says he had no friends or family to take him, so he called the Montoursville police department.

The officer says he wants everyone to feel comfortable calling for help, no matter the situation.

A picture of the pair holding hands has been shared over a thousand times on the police department's Facebook page.
http://local21news.com/news/local/penns ... e-hospital

from other various facebook post headers:

TOUCHING STORY: "When he got out of my patrol car at the hospital he held on to the side of the car for about a minute to get his balance. I didn't realize he was that bad, so I grabbed his hand and started walking him in."
The officer stayed with the man until hospital workers took him to his wife’s bedside.
Heartwarming. ❤️ The officer gave the man the patrol car's cell number and told him to call whenever he was ready.

Off Topic
YAY! I found this thread!
Note: Thread title has changed. WAS Good People Doing Good :blackeye:
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:03 am

Sniff Sniff. Dusty in my house today.

:lovestruck:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:10 pm

I have no idea where else to post this

13 semis line Detroit freeway to help man considering suicide
The Michigan State Police organized a unique way to help a man who was threatening suicide on a highway overpass: they pulled together multiple semi truck drivers to help shorten the fall.

Tuesday morning, all lanes of 696 were closed at Coolidge in both directions as a man threatened suicide.

The first call came in a little before 1 a.m. on Tuesday as the unnamed man was on the bridge over the highway. The eastbound lanes were closed as MSP started organizing semi-truck passing through.

A few minutes later, the westbound lanes were also closed as more semis showed up to cross the highway. All told, 13 semi trucks were parked under the overpass to shorten the distance he would fall, if he were to have jumped.

Thankfully, the man did not jump and the situation ended as the man walked off the bridge. He was taken by Huntington Woods Police to Beaumont hospital for evaluation.

MSP, Huntington Woods and Oak Park police were all on scene and all had negotiators talking to the man for several hours until it ended peacefully.

Around 4 a.m. 696 was reopened to travelers.
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-n ... ng-suicide

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 am

An Arkansas man helps to redeem the state!!!! :lovestruck:

CBS News https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mans-act-o ... out-him/

Man's act of kindness on plane goes viral after grateful mom posts about him
Man's act of kindness on plane goes viral after grateful mom posts about him

An Arkansas mom says her first trip on an airplane with her two kids started out in a panic, but ended in with a heartwarming story of kindness. Jessica Rudeen was flying alone with her 3-year-old, Caroline, and her 4-month-old, Alexander, on an American Airlines flight from Arkansas to North Carolina, with a layover in the middle.

Rudeen didn't have time to feed the baby before the flight and says he began screaming as they boarded the plane. Shortly after her son began crying, his toddler sister threw a temper tantrum, as kids often do.

"With two kids losing their minds, I was desperately trying to calm the situation," she wrote in the Facebook post. "This man reached for the baby and held him while I forced a seatbelt on Caroline, got her tablet and started her movie. Once she was settled and relatively calmed, he distracted her so that I could feed Alexander."

"During the flight, he colored and watched a movie with Caroline, he engaged in conversation and showed her all the things outside. By the end of the flight, he was Caroline's best friend. I'm not sure if he caught the kiss she landed on his shoulder while they were looking out the window," she wrote.
He was on the connecting flight too. Sweet, sweet photos at link. I luvs some Southern men! :lovestruck:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 02, 2018 11:00 am

So sweet :lovestruck:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed May 02, 2018 11:21 am

I love these stories about kind and generous people. It's easy to get jaded, especially for someone like me that watches or listens to the news probably far more than is good for my mental health. I like CNN's Heroes and some of their specials are also uplifting and remind me of the innate goodness that I do believe is inherent in most human beings.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:41 am

:lovestruck: :lovestruck:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat May 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Teen Brings Classmate To Tears With a Thoughtful Gift
A random act of kindness is going viral after a South Carolina high school student used money earned from her very first job to gift one of her classmates with a wonderful present.

16-year-old Sofi Cruz Turner tells Radio.com that she and Jaheim have been friends for about seven years now, after meeting in the third grade. "Jahiem has always been a good friend to me," says Cruz. "I wanted to give him something in return because he is very special to me. When he asked about someone buying him a pair of shoes, my friend Kaylee Mikres and I were talking about what kind of shoes he would want. So I ordered the pair I thought would be great for him.

"I had to wait a week for them to come in, and decided to also get him a bookbag and some socks."

Cruz surprised Jahiem in class with her gift, with Mikres providing a steady hand for the camera, by approaching his desk slowly with the backpack full of goodies and some of the kindest words you'll hear all day.

"You are a very good friend to me. And, since I got a job, I've been thinking about getting something special for somebody, and this is for you," she said while handing him the backpack. When Jahiem opened up the bag and found a shoe box with brand new sneakers inside as well as the other items of clothing, he was visibly shocked by the gesture.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-new ... ar-AAwHzEg

facebook video in above article:

https://www.facebook
.com/CBSNews/videos/10155755802625950/

"He has always been the one student where he does all of his work when due, never misses school, always helping the teacher out with stuff in class, and always being a happy human being"

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sat May 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Miss Turner's thoughtfulness was marred for me by her decision to have it videoed.
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat May 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Yahoo
April 7 at 3:45am ·
This awesome 13-year-old makes teddy bears for kids with cancer 🐻

(via 60 Second Docs)

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:19 pm
Miss Turner's thoughtfulness was marred for me by her decision to have it videoed.
All the kids do that now. Marriage proposals, gifting, loving surprises. It all goes on Instagram/Facebook.

It s not the way we did things, but it's how today's kids do.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat May 05, 2018 10:29 pm

kate520 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:35 pm
Sunrise wrote:
All the kids do that now. Marriage proposals, gifting, loving surprises. It all goes on Instagram/Facebook.

So true.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sat May 05, 2018 10:54 pm

kate520 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:35 pm
Sunrise wrote:

You're absolutely right, Kate. Thank you for pointing that out. I've revised my opinion to truly appreciate her kindness.
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Return to “Social Issues”