Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Marijuana

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
MsDaisy
Verified:

Marijuana

Post by MsDaisy »

Holy chit mon, I nearly missed it! Happy 4/20 y'all!
Lani

Re: Marijuana

Post by Lani »

Screenshot_2021-04-20 Chuck Schumer on Twitter.png
Screenshot_2021-04-20 Chuck Schumer on Twitter.png (16.01 KiB) Viewed 7565 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

CANNABIS ACTIVIST
HERE'S A JOINT WITH YOUR COVID-19 JAB

... Happy 420, NYC!!!

4/20/2021 12:10 PM PT
There's a huge crowd of COVID-19 vaccinated New Yorkers lining up for free weed on the unofficial marijuana holiday ... and if this doesn't convince people to get the shot, these stoners don't know what will!!!

We got cannabis rights activist Todd Hinden at the "Joints For Jabs" event Tuesday in NYC's Union Square Park, where they're expecting over 2,000 folks to show up for the free ganja giveaway.

Todd says organizers twisted up about 4,000 joints -- he says he rolled a half pound of grass himself -- and as you can see, the line for free bud is stretching around the block!

It's all legal too, thanks to New York's recent recreational marijuana legislation, but if ya wanna spark it up ... ya gotta show proof of vaccination for the hook-up.

A little over 42 percent of New Yorkers have gotten at least one jab, and Todd tell us why the event might help push the vaccination rate even higher.
https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/20/todd-hin ... ccination/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

covfefe wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:52 pm
:snippity:
The only better idea I've seen over this is the one pic of a girl scout setting up her cookie table right outside a weed dispensary. :thumbsup:

That young lady will be a Fortune 500 CEO one day...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Virginia legalized it today. Beginning July 1st, folks over 21 can possess up to one oz, and grow 4 plants per household so long as the plants aren’t in public view.

Not that any of this matters to me. I can’t possess it or use it since I’m retired from the military. And I don’t think I would even if I could. But I’m glad the folks who want it can have it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:25 pm Virginia legalized it today. Beginning July 1st, folks over 21 can possess up to one oz, and grow 4 plants per household so long as the plants aren’t in public view.

Not that any of this matters to me. I can’t possess it or use it since I’m retired from the military. And I don’t think I would even if I could. But I’m glad the folks who want it can have it.
I've heard crazy success stories with marijuana and PTSD, so that is particularly sucky.

In other news, other people who are in need of a joint:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:confuzzled:

Wouldn't decriminalizing it open the flood gates for things like federal income tax and whatever? Might help towards that needed infrastructure.

Can anyone point me to a state that has legalized pot that has had problems and regretted it?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

One thing I’ve learned over the years, the most adamantly against legalization are the guys who have been smoking for years but don’t want their constituents to find out. It’s always the case. Yay for me but not for thee.
somerset

Post by somerset »

I also know of at least one grower who adamantly opposed legalization in California. Their profits plummeted afterwards ;)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

When the Los Angeles BoS debated opening dispensaries in suburban neighborhoods they commissioned a study from a sociologist who had done similar reports for the pioneering cities, like Denver. She was invited onto a local PBS show, Airtalk.

I found it fascinating. She made comparisons to bars opened in similar locations. When a bar opened nearby property values started declining after 11 months and continued to slide. The neighborhoods often became trashed and dirty and residents let grass grow, trash build up, and other minor neglects. Bar patrons peed on their roses.

Dispensaries had the opposite effect. Because the average patron’s visit is something like 15 minutes and they generally don’t pee on the neighbors’ roses, property values rose slightly in that 11month period, and stayed slightly elevated.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

somerset wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:33 pm I also know of at least one grower who adamantly opposed legalization in California. Their profits plummeted afterwards ;)
Oh, so sad. :violin: I'm a proponent of marijuana reform legislation. We have medical marijuana in Florida (and it only takes about an $80 office visit to get your card --- NO, I don't have a card). If it's regulated, it's far safer than some of the garbage that is often on the street.
somerset

Post by somerset »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:52 pm
somerset wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:33 pm I also know of at least one grower who adamantly opposed legalization in California. Their profits plummeted afterwards ;)
Oh, so sad. :violin: I'm a proponent of marijuana reform legislation. We have medical marijuana in Florida (and it only takes about an $80 office visit to get your card --- NO, I don't have a card). If it's regulated, it's far safer than some of the garbage that is often on the street.
No argument. In fairness, the product from this grower is very, very good (or so I'm told ;) ), so there isn't any issue of it being unsafe. They just had to deal with their black market businesses making a lot less money once their product became legal. It also makes me wonder about the motives of politicians who are so strongly opposed to legalization.

These guys are also hard core Trump supporters, which adds a bit to the schadenfreude.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

somerset wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:20 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:52 pm
No argument. In fairness, the product from this grower is very, very good (or so I'm told ;) ), so there isn't any issue of it being unsafe. They just had to deal with their black market businesses making a lot less money once their product became legal. It also makes me wonder about the motives of politicians who are so strongly opposed to legalization.

These guys are also hard core Trump supporters, which adds a bit to the schadenfreude.
I just renewed my MJ card. It's $75 a year, but $400 a year for the doctor to keep renewing my script. Sadly, that part of it is a racket. Why can't my PCP do it? She's the one who gave me a referral to the state-authorized pot docs. It's free money. A five minute convo, on the phone now bc - covid, costs me $100 4x a year. I got mine a few years ago when there weren't many docs close by and we had to drive 45 minutes to see the one I have now. I could quit* him and start from scratch but it would literally be - start from scratch. Here in FL, you can't just transfer your care from one pot doc to another. They would cancel my card, too, forcing me to pay for a replacement. It's a racket, I tell ya.

However, my friend in IL has the option of buying medical or recreational MJ and she goes for the medical because the taxes are higher on the recreational. I don't know what doc and card fees are in IL but I'd have a hard time believing, at least here in FL, that the extra tax I paid would be more than the $475 I spend annually now to qualify.

I don't use a lot of MJ, just at night. I can power through the pain during the day knowing that I'll get a good night's sleep. But I don't get high, I get sleepy. I'll fall asleep before the good feels kicks in. '

*something about the guy seemed off but I could never put my finger on it. Then, the last time I saw him in person, right before COVID, it was obvious he had Parkinson's. The medication makes one move oddly and I think the early stages of that was what bothered me before. Now I know better. I feel kinda bad about it, even.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Amazon endorsed legal weed. Will it now fight to make it happen?
The company’s money and power could be a game-changer for federal cannabis policy.
When it announced its support for lawmakers’ efforts to decriminalize weed last month, Amazon didn’t just become the biggest company in America to back marijuana legalization, it captivated the cannabis industry in the process.

Now, as bills pushing legalization remain stuck in Congress, activists fighting for liberalized cannabis laws are hoping the e-commerce giant will take the next step and use its considerable D.C. muscle to help get them passed.

Lobbyists for legalization are pinning their hopes on Amazon using its experienced lobbying team and deep pockets to support their efforts, believing it could help them launch ad campaigns and persuade lawmakers opposed to legalization — especially those who represent states where cannabis is legal — to change their minds. Cannabis lobbyists and advocates who have spoken with Amazon made it clear that the company is already engaging in cannabis discussions in Washington, D.C. Whether Amazon actively lobbies or invests monetarily in legislation is the question on everyone’s minds.

“I'm quite disappointed that we've really seen no movement whatsoever at the federal level,” said Matthew Schweich, deputy director of the Marijuana Policy Project. “I think that if Amazon were able to lend its political support to federal reform and fund state level efforts, that would be a net positive for the cannabis reform movement in this country.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/2 ... eed-500263
raison de arizona

"This is among the more egregious #forfeiture cases that we’ve ever seen,” said
@DanAlban
, senior attorney
@IJ
, a libertarian group that fights #forfeiture excesses nationwide and represents Empyreal in the lawsuit.

#CivilForfeiture #PolicingForProfit
FBI and San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department accused of illegally seizing marijuana cash
An armored car company says the FBI and the San Bernardino County sheriff unlawfully seized cash from state-licensed marijuana businesses.
https://t.co/ToaWjcMKXp
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I have not used weed since I was 18. I have been on an anti-inflammatory for arthritis in my hip, which has torn up my stomach and caused me terrible nausea. Doc changed my med for that but has not been working for the hip pain. A dear friend went to a dispensary today and gave me some gummies. Minimal THC. I took one. No paranoia, no weirdness, but no pain and vomiting.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona

Xpost
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:39 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAVLiEV
The House has voted with a slim bipartisan majority to federally decriminalize marijuana.

The vote was 220 to 204. Republicans Tom McClintock of California, Brian Mast and Matt Gaetz, both of Florida, joined the majority of Democrats in supporting the bill, while Democrats Henry Cuellar of Texas and Chris Pappas of New Hampshire voted against.

The bill, sponsored by Democratic Rep. Jerry Nadler of New York, will prevent federal agencies from denying federal workers security clearances for cannabis use, and will allow the Veterans' Administration to recommend medical marijuana to veterans living with posttraumatic stress disorder, plus gains revenue by authorizing a sales tax on marijuana sales.

The bill also expunges the record of people convicted of non-violent cannabis offenses, which House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said, "can haunt people of color and impact the trajectory of their lives and career indefinitely."
:thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Might be the first time in his life I approve of something McClintock did. He’s a rancid anti-environmentalist.

But turns out he’s also a libertarian by nature and doesn’t believe the government should punish folks for doing some things. He doesn’t believe smart people *should* be doing those some things, but that they have a right to.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Alcohol and cigarettes being legal but marijuana illegal is not, and has never been, logically or morally defensible.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:yeahthat:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:41 pm Xpost
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:39 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAVLiEV
The House has voted with a slim bipartisan majority to federally decriminalize marijuana.

The vote was 220 to 204. Republicans Tom McClintock of California, Brian Mast and Matt Gaetz, both of Florida, joined the majority of Democrats in supporting the bill, while Democrats Henry Cuellar of Texas and Chris Pappas of New Hampshire voted against.

The bill, sponsored by Democratic Rep. Jerry Nadler of New York, will prevent federal agencies from denying federal workers security clearances for cannabis use, and will allow the Veterans' Administration to recommend medical marijuana to veterans living with posttraumatic stress disorder, plus gains revenue by authorizing a sales tax on marijuana sales.

The bill also expunges the record of people convicted of non-violent cannabis offenses, which House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said, "can haunt people of color and impact the trajectory of their lives and career indefinitely."
:thumbsup:
Off Topic
Thanks for cross posting. I looked, but couldn't find anything. I should have just searched.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I will just point everyone at the date.

:bag:
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

MsDaisy
Verified:

Marijuana

Post by MsDaisy »

Last night we went to a very fancy “infused dinner party”. I have smoked plenty of pot in my lifetime but have never eaten any infused food so I was careful not to eat much not knowing how it would affect me and I didn’t drink any alcohol. (I know… Lightweight) Boy, talk about a wired buzz! I’ve been awake almost all night long and I guess I was rolling over and over all night because a couple times I ended up wrapped up in the covers like a sausage roll.

I’m pretty sure that’s now on the been there done that list for me. :?

Return to “Current Politics”