Racism in America Becoming Fashionable Again

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Racism in America Becoming Fashionable Again

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Danraft wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:51 pm

I'm just saying I am hesitant to justify crowdsourcing justice (in general, as I tried to make clear in my first post on this topic).

I don't claim to have the answers, or know where (if anywhere) the line is.
Somewhere between this situation and Minneapolis? Should the officer's faces have been blurred also? Should that situation have been left to the justice system after the fact?
No. She doesn't technically have any expectation of privacy. But, what is privacy? In a big city, privacy is odd. It is given by not making eye contact with those you are in close contact with. Letting them have their bubble. "Not engaging" is an unspoken rule. A person on a walking/jogging path having a private moment with their dog ain't expecting any interaction.
Using "technically" to explain uneven application of the law is one of my pet peeves. "He was acquitted because of a technicality" and similar excuses just fly all over me. The law doesn't make the distinction of location. How are violations handled when small town folks are in the big city and don't know the unspoken rules? Do unspoken rules override black letter law?
And, "social justice", for all its power and ability to accomplish what normal legal mechanisms cannot do, tends to judge a person as a human being, based on one interaction.
... Is it fair to judge someone so harshly? And, if so, are there any exceptions?
If they are capable of producing that one interaction under stress that means it was there all along, just well hidden. I honestly don't believe that if I was in the same situation that it would even occur to me to make it about race. I'd stick to the fear and danger aspect of it. We are seeing more people every day who are showing their true colors because it is more acceptable to be a raging asshole racist. "There are good people on both sides" emboldens them, and by protecting them or their identities we're just enabling them more. There is a reason the Klan wore hoods and worked under cover of darkness. In Minneapolis, I have grave doubts that legal mechanisms would have accomplished a damn thing beyond maybe firing the officers after months of legal wrangling. Multiple complaints and use of force incidents hadn't done anything over the last 2 decades.

The only exception I can think of would be a head injury.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

... a few people who are essentially telling me that I can just go fuck myself with my stupid rule. That wouldn't bother them much - an asshole can easily be an asshole on some other website.
Apparently making your point while refraining from insulting other members is harder than it seems.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

7 People Shot at Louisville Protest Over the Death of Breonna Taylor
The protests in Kentucky were prompted by the shooting death of a black woman, who was killed when the police entered her home in March.

By Mike Baker
May 29, 2020
Updated 6:19 a.m. ET

Seven people were struck by gunfire at a protest in Louisville, Ky., on Thursday night as tensions there continued to escalate over the fatal shooting of a black woman by three white police officers in March.

Of those reported injured in the demonstration, two were taken for surgery and five were in good condition, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said early Friday morning. Mr. Fischer said no officers discharged their weapons and that the violence came from within the crowd.

Videos posted on social media appeared to show shots being fired while demonstrators surrounded a police vehicle. No officers were among those injured and it was too early to determine who was responsible, said the Louisville Metro Police Department.

Protesters had gathered in the streets to call for police accountability in the fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor, chanting “no justice, no peace, prosecute police.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/us/l ... aylor.html

wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

neeneko wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:17 am
wavey davey wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:22 am
No, she does not have a right to privacy when in public. It is a constitutional protected right to photograph anything that is visible from a public location. Maybe it’s creepy in a case like this, but it is legal creepiness.
I would not even put it at a little creepy in this case.
'Creepy' would be if he were quietly filming her, or approached her while filming. In this case, starting a recording on a verbal engagement already underway? I do not think creepy really applies in the least.
I agree with you. I don’t feel it was creepy in this case, but she might have thought so.

I didn’t explain what I meant very well. What I had in mind was that people who are being photographed in public sometimes don’t like it, think it’s creepy or whatever, also think their right to privacy is being violated. While they entitled to their opinion that it is creepy, they have no grounds to demand that the photography be prevented.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

My black friends on Facebook are fucking horrified and outraged, and there's nothing I can do or say to help them. Most of them are people I know well from the Democratic Party, so we all know what we have to do.

But what can I say to my friend Antoine, or my friend Ann, or all my other friends?

I love you and your family?
I'm as outraged as you are?
I'm proud to be your friend?
We're not all like that?

All those things seem weak and useless.

Fuck. As if the virus wasn't bad enough.

I'm not having a good week. :(
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

To use a Star Trek analogy, chief... Nobody here is either Spock or Data. :bighug:
X3

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:27 am
To use a Star Trek analogy, chief... Nobody here is either Spock or Data. :bighug:
Some of us are dang close. :blink:

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

One of our black members - with whom I have been on three different web forums over the past 15 years or so (ENC, TFF, and this one), lives right here in North Cackilacki, but over near the coast.

But, umm ... yeah. He isn't a Vulcan or a droid. :lol:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Who here is a person of color? Or has a loved one or family member who is? My son is resigned.

"It doesn't matter Mom. Nothing is gonna change. This will die down like after Philando Castile ND nothing will change".

My heart breaks.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:21 pm
Who here is a person of color?
I have freckles. They get darker and kind of merge when I have a deep tan. :blink:

No, you're right, that doesn't count. Dammit. :madguy:
My heart breaks.
You and me both, sister. You and me both. :brokenheart:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

I am whiter than white, and I’m mad as hell.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Danraft wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:51 pm
:snippity:
However, by his own statements he was much more cognizant of what was happening. He used dog treats to make people uncomfortable enough (because their dog went to a total stranger) to leash their dog. Apparently, it happened often enough that he was prepared for that event. So, that isn't the "high crime" suitable for doxxing.

It was, as was stated, her seeking awareness/belief, that because she was white and he wasn't, she had the upper hand. He warned her that she wouldn't like what happened if she continued the behavior. What does that warning mean? [highlight]To me, it means he had considered (or quickly ad hoc considered) the public shaming he was going to inflict. [/highlight]Is that wrong for him to knowingly do?

:snippity:
You seriously believe the bad thing that he had in mind had something to do with him planning to expose her? He never exposed anyone else, that we know of. Only her. No, the thing she "wasn't going to like" was most likely the fact of him being able to coax her dog away from her using treats. As a dog owner that would alarm me. Of course, as a dog owner I always had Maggie on a leash whenever I was out in public, but still, had someone been able to coax my dog away from me, that would have gotten my attention. It's not likely he had any idea that she was going to call the police on him and make a false report thereby giving him an opportunity to put her face all over the internet.

Of course, maybe HE has the Tardis. :P
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Keep in mind that Mr. Cooper didn't release the video. He shared it with his sister and she posted it on Twitter; it blew up from there.
Image Image Image Image Image

Danraft

Post by Danraft »

If our goal is to change the underlying factors, I am not sure that this young woman having her life completely torn apart serves that goal.
Who said that?
Mr Cooper
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... -park/amp/
The Mercury Project

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 3#p1184213

Exactly. As I posted pages above, to illustrate how devoid of human understanding, how pathetically dense and pathologically insensitive one would have to be to imagine that this good-hearted, inoffensive bird-watching man was not who he plainly is (to those who have eyes and don’t refuse to see), to suggest that he is rather some agenda-driven provocateur, some extortionist, that his phone was some sort of deadly threat like Travon’s sidewalk, any straw that can be grasped in an absurd and pitifully desperate attempt to hallucinate some “wrong” on his part, so as to put its ghost on the table next to the flapping, screaming beast of her racism and her callous disregard for its potential consequences, in the service of claiming there’s nothing to see here, see? two wrongs on the scale, the way of the world, nothing to be done, let’s all go home and forget all about it.

His response is abjectly Christian. Did she sin? Yes. Should she be publicly stoned to death for it? No. Lose her job? That’s up to her boss. His insight, stated aloud with clear charitable lucidity, was that punishment which forestalls the opportunity for redemption is counterproductive logically and impoverished spiritually.

Obviously, as I said above, these can easily be mistaken for the words of a dangerous, vindictive savage.
X3

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

With what is going on now, I don't think this is going to happen

Too bad

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

100 years ago - or history repeats itself
Vox wrote:The massacre of Tulsa's "Black Wall Street"
27 Feb 2019

White mobs destroyed "Black Wall Street" in 1921.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

I've heard this bull before.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Addisu Demissie just joined the Biden campaign as senior adviser.
Addisu Demissie 🏡
@ASDem
Profile picture
May 29th 2020, 6 tweets, 2 min read

Because I’ve been a relatively large black man for many decades now, I can forget how psychologically exhausting it is to live with a constant awareness of the perceived threat that is your existence. It becomes second nature, repressed even. It just is. It’s hard to explain.

Anyways, I can’t tell if weeks - months - like this…when people who don’t look like you awaken to your everyday reality…are good…or if bringing those feelings to the front of mind are actually bad for me, personally. This thread doesn’t have a point. Just thinking out loud.

The lump I get in my throat any time I see a police officer, or am walking down a relatively empty street and see a white person approaching me -- knowing they are scared, wondering what will happen — it’s easier just to not think about it. I know that’s selfish but man.

Just this am I decided not to shave my head because I thought I would look more threatening bald and w/a mask. A few weeks ago (after #AhmaudArbery became a household name) I bought hot pink and red running shirts to try to loo…friendly? as I ran in my neighborhood.

These are just two examples from May, and I did these things almost subconsciously. Now multiply that by every day, forever. It’s exhausting.
The hot pink looks surprisingly good with my skin though. :)

Okay, I’m done for now…guess I needed to vent. Didn’t even realize it.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

ETA. removed as Fake News - see neonxx below

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:25 pm
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=exe_0cIle1w
Saw that a couple days ago. Debunked.
The officers were looking for a person. They had a name and physical description. This individual matched the physical description and chose to be a dick by not simply showing his ID.
He's not FBI nor with any LE agency.
This video is a year old.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Thanks for clarification - this copy just popped up and looked fresh.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

neonzx wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:05 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:25 pm
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=exe_0cIle1w
Saw that a couple days ago. Debunked.
The officers were looking for a person. They had a name and physical description. This individual allegedly matched the physical description and chose to be a dick by not simply showing his ID.
He's not FBI nor with any LE agency.
This video is a year old.
No, I don't see how that helps. The video clearly shows them harassing this guy. They had the cuffs on him before he could produce his ID. Is there evidence somewhere about the physical description of the guy they were looking for? Or is it just that he was a black guy?

Edit: I don't know about the veracity of this source (Boom?) but it purportedly explains the origin of the video:

All the Rochester police said was "The individual was roughly the same height, weight and age of the individual the officer believed to have a warrant." "Roughly" is doing a lot of work in that sentence. "Roughly" to me screams racial profiling.

Below is the Boom article and the link to the Rochester PD statement. Also, apparently his ID showed he is an EMT. The Rochester PD statement also says this: "The individual requested the officers’ business cards, which each officer willingly provided." The video shows that isn't completely true. First, the supervisor refused.

https://www.boomlive.in/fake-news/fbi-a ... tescroll=1"

https://www.rochestermn.gov/Home/Compon ... cklist=%2f
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

A multi-racial family in Washington state were harassed by locals and accused of being anti-fascist activists or Antifa members on Wednesday, with residents cutting down trees to prevent them from leaving.

The Clallam County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement that the family of four from Spokane were driving a full-size school bus and prepared to camp off a logging road near the town of Forks.
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... accused-of

Return to “Social Issues”