Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Lawyers behaving badly

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Lawyers Acting Badly

Post by bill_g »

Ressurecting an Olde Favorite with one from my industry: Pick v Kay et al.

There is a lot to drill through. The important part is these two have been battleing for decades. Kay has said he wants to make the entire Pick family homeless. This is the modern Hatfields and McCoys being played out in court. How and why no one has been able to talk sense to either party is beyond me. But, their Peyton Place battles are legendary in my biz.
Suranis

Lawyers behaving badly

Post by Suranis »

Plaintiff loses after lawyer refuses to wear mask in court
By Associated Press
Published: Mar. 27, 2021 at 7:04 PM UTC|Updated: 7 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) - A woman has lost her personal injury lawsuit after her lawyer refused to wear a mask in court and the Brooklyn judge threw out the case.

The New York Daily News reported Friday that Judge Lawrence Knipel tossed the case after attorney Howard Greenwald said he could not breathe wearing the mask in the newly reopened court.

Knipel was hospitalized with COVID-19 last spring. He insisted the lawyer comply with rules requiring masks in all state court buildings. He told the newspaper in an interview that “the most important protocol is wearing a mask.”
https://www.weau.com/2021/03/27/plainti ... -in-court/

Idiot should be in Jail for Contempt.
Hic sunt dracones
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Re: Lawyers behaving badly

Post by fierceredpanda »

You know what's worse than being held in contempt? The huge malpractice lawsuit that's coming, particularly when the lawyer's insurer points out that their policy doesn't cover intentional misconduct and tells him he's on his own.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
filly

Post by filly »

Dude's probably a deadbeat with IRS liens on all his property so the client is likely SOL.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ck-murder/
When former Dallas County prosecutor Richard E. Jackson put two homeless Black men on trial in 2000 for the murder of a local pastor, he allegedly withheld a heap of evidence that could have cleared them.

Witnesses couldn’t pick the suspects out of a lineup, neither of the men matched descriptions provided to investigators, and prosecutors had brokered secret deals with jailhouse informants for favorable testimony, appeals court papers would later show.

In separate trials, jurors heard none of it. Jackson got his convictions, and Dennis Allen and Stanley Mozee were sentenced to life in prison. Only after an extensive review by the Innocence Project and Jackson’s successors were the men exonerated — 14 years later.

Now, after two decades of legal wrangling, Jackson has been disbarred from practicing law in Texas, in a rare example of severe punishment for misconduct in a wrongful conviction case.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

"How about zero hours? Does zero work for you?"

As a rule, you never want an order to show cause addressed to you to include the phrase "While the Court is within its power to summarily issue a fine and imprisonment"...
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

The judge's tentative ruling on the matter of "I roughly doubled my hours; that's cool, right?" is near the bottom of https://www.occourts.org/tentativerulin ... ulings.htm .
bob

Post by bob »

KickahaOta wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:29 pm The judge's tentative ruling on the matter of "I roughly doubled my hours; that's cool, right?" is near the bottom of https://www.occourts.org/tentativerulin ... ulings.htm .
O.C. Super. Ct. wrote:As to Messrs. Yeremian and Rothman, the Court finds the explanations set forth in their respective declarations (ROA Nos. 144, 145) unsatisfactory as set forth below and sanctions Mr. Rothman and Mr. Yeremian in the amount of $10,000 each, payable to the court within 10 calendar days under California Rule of Court 2.30 for violation of California Rule of Court 9.7.
N.b.: Tentative ruling, so there's will likely be profuse in-court apologies in an attempt to lessen the amount.
Image ImageImage
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 pm
Some commentary on the Free Britney front:

ETA: Someone made an illegal recording of Britney's testimony, so this link might not last long:

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I've been really busy (first week at new job), but several of my colleagues and I were discussing this today. I suspect that Ingram's fee arrangement may attract the attention of law enforcement. It sure looks like honest-services fraud to me.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

No-show St. Louis prosecutors trigger dismissal of 2020 murder case

ST. LOUIS — A circuit judge dismissed a 2020 murder case last week and said the Circuit Attorney’s Office “abandoned its duty” after St. Louis prosecutors failed three times to show for court hearings or respond to a court order to produce evidence.

Circuit Judge Jason Sengheiser on Wednesday dismissed first-degree murder, armed criminal action and unlawful gun possession charges against Brandon Campbell, 30, after no one from the Circuit Attorney’s Office showed up for scheduled hearings in May, June and July.

“The court does not take this action without significant consideration for the implications it may have for public safety,” Sengheiser wrote in his order. “Although presumed innocent, (Campbell) has been charged with the most serious of crimes. While the court has a role to play in protecting public safety, that role must be balanced with adherence to the law and the protection of the rights of the defendant.”

Sengheiser continued, “The Circuit Attorney’s Office is ultimately the party responsible for protecting public safety by charging and then prosecuting those it believes commit crimes. In a case like this where the Circuit Attorney’s office has essentially abandoned its duty to prosecute those it charges with crimes, the court must impartially enforce the law and any resultant threat to public safety is the responsibility of the Circuit Attorney’s Office.”

A spokeswoman for Kimberly M. Gardner provided a statement Monday saying "Upon review of our internal policies and procedures regarding family medical leave, we have determined that corrective measures are needed to further prevent any future repeat occurrence of the incident in question. The suggestion, however, that there have been additional instances that have occurred like the one in question have not been substantiated."

Gardner's statement continued, "Be assured that as the Circuit Attorney of the City of St. Louis, I am accountable to the public for the actions of the office and remain committed as ever to upholding the highest possible standards and practices of accountability at all levels of this office, particularly the public safety of the residents of the city of St. Louis. As a result, the individual in this case is (in) custody." [Oh yeah?]

Police said Monday that Campbell was still at large.

Campbell was charged in December with fatally shooting 30-year-old Randy Moore on April 9, 2020, in the 3700 block of Aldine Avenue. Moore, who lived in the 11000 block of Bellefontaine Road in north St. Louis County, was pronounced dead at a hospital. Charges said surveillance video showed Campbell arrive in a Chrysler 300 and have an argument with Moore before shooting Moore as Moore walked away.

:snippity:
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/cri ... user-share
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

A GOP politician lost his law license over letter calling women “pitiful, fat, ugly lesbians”
The former U.S. Representative lied about sending the letter and then got caught practicing law with a suspended license.

By Alex Bollinger
Thursday, February 20, 2020

A former U.S. Representative from Kentucky was caught practicing law even though his law license was suspended for lying about sending a hateful letter to another attorney.

This past April, the Kentucky Supreme Court suspended Carroll Hubbard’s license to practice law.

He had been accused of sending a letter in 2017 to attorney Alisha Bobo and her wife where he drew an arrow at a picture of them and called them “PITIFULL [sic], FAT, UGLY, LESBIANS.”

Bobo said that the letter was “very disappointing that someone, a grown person such as Mr. Hubbard — someone I previously respected — would go there.”

She didn’t make it public until 2018, though, when she found herself working on a visitation case where Hubbard was opposing counsel. She told the court and asked that he be removed from the case.

Hubbard said, under oath, that he did not send the letter.

By February 2019, he admitted to sending the letter and apologized to the Bobos. He also admitted to filing a Judicial Conduct Commission complaint against the judge in that case just because he was mad that the letter was brought up.

The Kentucky Supreme Court found him guilty of five counts of misconduct connected to the letter and lying about sending it and suspended his law license for 60 days. They also made him send apologies to just about everyone involved and pay over $1000 in court fees.

In October, he was caught representing a client in a drug case, even though his license had not been reinstated. Even though 60 days had passed, he hadn’t taken the steps necessary to get a valid license again.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/02/gop ... -lesbians/
raison de arizona

He should probably get his item thread, but here he is.
James Surowiecki @JamesSurowiecki wrote: John Eastman calling the Supreme Court "cowardly" and "corrupt" for rejecting Texas' ludicrous claim that it had a right to challenge how other states allocated their electoral votes.

Many have torched their reputations defending Trump. Eastman is near the top of that list.
Lauren Windsor @lawindsor wrote: Wherein John Eastman blames Black Lives Matter for the Supreme Court's being "cowardly" towards overturning the 2020 election 👀
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

If Trump wins in 2024, Eastman will be the next Attorney General of the United States of America. Prove me wrong. :boxing:

Here's why that's bad news for Joe Biden:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Bad news for all of us bad news bears.
raison de arizona

Who remembers ASSLaw (Antonin Scalia School of Law, formerly George Mason University School of Law)? Well, ASSClown Law Professor Frank Buckley there has an opinion regarding the SCOTUS leak. And it is racist AF.
He has an opinion on Confederate Statues.
And he has a thought on LGBTQ:
I'm probably being overly generous calling these actual thoughts.

Anyway, way to go ASSLaw, and congrats on your ASSClown!
Details: https://abovethelaw.com/2022/05/law-pro ... aw-school/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Wyoming State Bar Says Laramie County DA Leigh Ann Manlove Is Not Competent
Published on May 23, 2022

By Jim Angell, Cowboy State Daily

Testimony and evidence offered during the disciplinary hearing into Laramie County’s district attorney proved she had not competently fulfilled the duties of her office, according to a document filed with the Wyoming Supreme Court.

The special counsel for the Wyoming State Bar, in the latest filing in the disciplinary proceedings against Leigh Anne Manlove, denied Manlove’s earlier claims that the Board of Professional Responsibility did not pay enough attention to the witnesses in her favor during her disciplinary hearing before the board.

Weston W. Reeves argued in the Friday filing that the testimony offered instead proved that Manlove has not competently fulfilled the duties of her office.

“The administration of criminal justice in Laramie County has been in shambles since Jan. 8, 2019, when Manlove took office and fired the majority of her employees without having an effective transition plan in place,” his statement said. “As a result of her incompetence in the position, the community of Cheyenne has suffered. Lives have been lost. Thousands of cases go unprosecuted. The judges are beside themselves.”

The Board of Professional Responsibility in February held a hearing into complaints against Manlove filed by Reeves that alleged she has failed to properly carry out the duties of her office.

Manlove was accused of, among other things, exaggerating the impact of budget cuts to her office to dismiss hundreds of cases in Laramie County courts.

The BPR recommended that Manlove be barred from the practice of law, a recommendation that has been forwarded to the Wyoming Supreme Court, which will make the final decision on the recommendation.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/05/23 ... competent/

Steve Lethos take with details
raison de arizona

:yankyank: don't let the door hit ya...
Ilya Shapiro @ishapiro wrote: Here’s my resignation letter from @GeorgetownLaw, a place that doesn’t value free speech. In the name of DEI, it stifles intellectual diversity, undermines equal opportunity, and excludes dissenting voices.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Will they miss him :?:
raison de arizona

He’s just butthurt that he didn’t get fired so he could grift of getting “canceled,” so now he just has to do it himself.
bob

Post by bob »

LAT (paywalled): [California] State Bar files disciplinary charges against former director Joe Dunn.

Somewhere, :oldman: may be chuckling.

Executive summary: Turns out the bar's former ExDir was protecting ("allegedly") Tom Girardi. :shock:
Image ImageImage
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

bob wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:05 pm LAT (paywalled): [California] State Bar files disciplinary charges against former director Joe Dunn.

Somewhere, :oldman: may be chuckling.

Executive summary: Turns out the bar's former ExDir was protecting ("allegedly") Tom Girardi. :shock:
And what has happened to our friendly curmudgeon? :oldman:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Well I learned something…

https://abovethelaw.com/2022/07/attorne ... l-for-him/

Attorney Tries To Slip Sexist Insult Past The Judge... It Doesn't Go Well For Him
It started out with comments attorney Timothy Scott made on the record to opposing counsel. After losing a motion for nonsuit, Scott made the following remarks, just laced with meaning:

…I hope this doesn’t sound unctuous, but just to end the weekend on a good note, I want to thank the court staff. I want to say to have a good weekend to Mr. DeMaria. I want to say have a good weekend to Ms. Frerich. And I want to say have a good weekend to both MTS counsel. I’ll See you next Tuesday. See you next Tuesday.”

To which clueless Judge Eddie Sturgeon responded, “How kind.”
Well, seems that “See you next Tuesday” is a euphemism for calling someone the C-word.

And once the opposition attorneys explained that to the Judge, well it’s not going well for Mr. Scott.
And whaddya know? The judge was not pleased with the so-called excuse. In fact, he was doubly pissed — not only did Scott insult opposing counsel, he also tried to pull a fast one on the court.

It was also revealed during the in-chambers meeting that Mr. Scott intentionally made the statement with the full knowledge of the meaning of the phrase. Mr. Scott tried to explain that his deliberate use of the phrase was an “inside joke” between him and one of this firm employees which he expected no one in the courtroom would detect. However, it is not a joke to this Court that Mr. Scott made this egregious and offensive insult intentionally to two female attorneys via a coded message. In fact, but for Ms. Lagasse bringing it to the Court’s attention, this wrongdoing would have been undetected. Mr. Scott not only attempted to deceive all counsel, but also this Court, into believing he genuinely was wishing everyone a nice weekend when in fact he was purposefully directing a derogatory epithet toward the female defense attorneys who had just prevailed in a nonsuit in this case.

The judge described Scott’s behavior as “reprehensible,” and such behavior “will not be tolerated in this courtroom.” And, BOOM — Judge Sturgeon alerted the State Bar of California and will be filing a disciplinary referral with the State Bar.
Which he did.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer ... f&hl=en_US
Attachments
A255A3FE-E388-46A5-8B65-DE101A7E79A6.jpeg
A255A3FE-E388-46A5-8B65-DE101A7E79A6.jpeg (478.03 KiB) Viewed 735 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

Return to “Current Politics”