Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Mitt Romney

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Mitt Romney

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mi ... d-n1262134
Republican Sen. Mitt Romney is the recipient of this year's John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award for his vote to convict former President Donald Trump during his first impeachment trial "and his consistent and courageous defense of democracy."

"He was willing to risk his career and his popularity within his own party to do what's right for our country and to follow his conscience and Constitution and his impeachment votes," former Ambassador Caroline Kennedy told NBC News chief White House correspondent Peter Alexander on Friday in an exclusive interview on the "TODAY" show.

"I think his courage is an example for all of us," she said, adding that Romney's decision reflected the lawmakers from her father's book, for which the award is named.
It would be nice if we have more nice stuff to put here about him in the future, but probably not.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Mitt Romney

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... convention
Mitt Romney was loudly booed at the Utah Republican party convention on Saturday – and called a “traitor” and a “communist” as he tried to speak.

“Aren’t you embarrassed?” the Salt Lake City Tribune reported the Utah senator asking the crowd of 2,100 delegates at the Maverik Center in West Valley City. “I’m a man who says what he means, and you know I was not a fan of our last president’s character issues.”

Romney was the sole Republican to vote to impeach Donald Trump twice – for seeking political dirt on opponents from Ukraine and for inciting the deadly insurrection at the Capitol on 6 January, before which Trump told supporters to “fight like hell” in support of his lie that the presidential election was stolen by Joe Biden.

Six other Republican senators voted to convict Trump in his second impeachment.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Mitt Romney

Post by raison de arizona »

Manu Raju @mkraju wrote: Mitt Romney: “And you know, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar, I don't know them, but I'm reminded of that old line for the Butch Cassidy the Sundance Kid movie where one character says, 'Morons, I've got morons on my team,'” he said on @CNNSotu to @DanaBashCNN

Romney added: “And I have to think anybody that would sit down with white nationalists and speaks at their conference was certainly missing a few IQ points."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Mitt Romney

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... eelection/
Sen. Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential nominee in 2012 and the only member of his party to twice vote to convict former president Donald Trump in politically charged impeachment trials, announced Wednesday that he will not seek a second term in the Senate representing Utah, saying in an interview that it is time for a new generation to “step up” and “shape the world they’re going to live in.”
Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

Romney, 76, said his decision not to run again was heavily influenced by his belief that a second term, which would take him into his 80s, probably would be less productive and less satisfying than the current term has been. He blamed that both on the disarray he sees among House Republicans and on his own lack of confidence in the leadership of President Biden and Trump.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Mitt Romney

Post by Slim Cognito »

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but good on him. We need new blood.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Mitt Romney

Post by Suranis »

Mah. He finally figured out that his dreams of being the Great White horse were dead. While they were alive he was perfectly willing to sit down and grovel to Trump. Otherwise he would sit there till they would have to sweep up his bones.
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Mitt Romney

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:52 pm I can’t believe I’m saying this, but good on him. We need new blood.
:yeahthat:

I agree. Romney is 76 years old right now and Senate terms are 6 years. I'm all for people in Congress and state legislatures stepping aside by their mid-70s and letting the younger generation step up with their ideas. Retire! Spend time with your family and grandchildren! A person thinks they will live forever and their health will always be excellent as will their spouse's. As we on this forum can attest to - that's not reality.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Mitt Romney

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ll/675306/

A long, but interesting article just published on Romney, probably to coincide with his decision to retire.
Romney’s isolation in Washington didn’t surprise me. In less than a decade, he’d gone from Republican standard-bearer and presidential nominee to party pariah thanks to a series of public clashes with Trump. What I didn’t quite expect was how candid he was ready to be. He instructed his scheduler to block off evenings for weekly interviews, and told me that no subject would be off-limits. He handed over hundreds of pages of his private journals and years’ worth of personal correspondence, including sensitive emails with some of the most powerful Republicans in the country. When he couldn’t find the key to an old filing cabinet that contained some of his personal papers, he took a crowbar to it and deposited stacks of campaign documents and legal pads in my lap. He’d kept all of this stuff, he explained, because he thought he might write a memoir one day, but he’d decided against it. “I can’t be objective about my own life,” he said.
sad-cafe

Mitt Romney

Post by sad-cafe »

when is his term up?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Mitt Romney

Post by AndyinPA »

sad-cafe wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:39 pm when is his term up?
pipistrelle

Mitt Romney

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:58 pm Mah. He finally figured out that his dreams of being the Great White horse were dead. While they were alive he was perfectly willing to sit down and grovel to Trump. Otherwise he would sit there till they would have to sweep up his bones.
I agree. It has nothing to do with his age and everything to do with his incinerated political ambitions.

He couldn't resist a dig at Biden.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Mitt Romney

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:01 pm
I heard it was 26. Now i gotta do my own research.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Mitt Romney

Post by raison de arizona »

keith wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:51 am
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:01 pm
I heard it was 26. Now i gotta do my own research.
In 2023, Romney announced he will not run for reelection in 2024 and will retire from the Senate when his term expires in 2025.
Thus sayeth Wikipedia.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Mitt Romney

Post by bob »

Loy Brunson is ready, tanned, and rested. :batting:
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Mitt Romney

Post by Slim Cognito »

Is Donny Osmond available?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Mitt Romney

Post by Kendra »

I'm no fan either, but Jen Psaki has been discussing Romney's recent comments and on the upcoming book and I'm intrigued. Placed a hold at the library.

Return to “Current Politics”