Anti-Abortion Legislation and Lawsuits

Fortinbras

Re: Anti-Abortion Legislation and Lawsuits

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Well, my point was a booklet by medical professionals would give good instructions, avoiding the amateurish mistakes, etc.

And when the abortion prohibitionists realized that they couldn't keep a lid on it, maybe they'd give up.

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:32 pm

I understand you point, but most medical professionals are not well trained in herbs and their uses. To acquire the knowledge necessary to properly formulate the various herbals would take more years of study.

For the TL;DR stuff:
► Show Spoiler
Instead, we need to fight like hell to keep the right to this medical procedure intact.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:29 am

I wasn't even thinking of herbs. I was more concerned with substituting something maybe with rubber pipes that would be effective and fairly safe to replace something traumatic and dangerous involving wire hangers.

I am quite certain that medical professionals could work up instructions for at-home abortions that would be considerably safer than old gypsy concoctions.

In any case, the point was, if safe at-home abortions (however they were done) were readily available, the abortion-prohibition crowd might give up.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:55 pm

There is nothing safe about a woman or her bff jamming a rubber hose through a cervix into a uterus to perform a home extraction.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:41 pm

How available is RU-486 (the abortion pill) over the internet or through other 3rd party unapproved sources? That seems the most logical alternative.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:08 pm

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/ ... rtion-pill

Costs are high, and medical follow up is required for safety reasons.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:46 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:How available is RU-486 (the abortion pill) over the internet or through other 3rd party unapproved sources? That seems the most logical alternative.
A second drug such as misoprostil is needed to ensure a safe procedure.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:49 pm

There might be a big black market in drugs needed. Trump's DEA can take a break from the wholesale killing of drug dealers to extra-judicial killing the abortion drug dealers. :shock: :o

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:03 pm

SueDB wrote:There might be a big black market in drugs needed. Trump's DEA can take a break from the wholesale killing of drug dealers to extra-judicial killing the abortion drug dealers. :shock: :o
Why black market? They can always claim to be using the new FDA scheme of non-approved drugs prior to formal screening...

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:30 pm

It's already being sold over the internet. Gawd only knows what is actually being sold. Just google "buy ru486 on internet".

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:41 pm

A lady from near my old hometown bought the bills on the internet, supposedly from Europe, and gave them to her teenaged daughter. She ended up spending a year in state prison.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:14 pm

magdalen77 wrote:A lady from near my old hometown bought the pills on the internet, supposedly from Europe, and gave them to her teenaged daughter. She ended up spending a year in state prison.
It's against federal law to dispense this drug without a prescription from an authorized prescriber. It might be against some of those forever funky state laws also.

Just because you can buy it on the Internet, doesn't make it legal/lawful.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Lani wrote:It's already being sold over the internet. Gawd only knows what is actually being sold. Just google "buy ru486 on internet".
And the usual caveat - Just because you can buy it over the Internet, doesn't make it legal/lawful to do so.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:01 pm

SueDB wrote:
Lani wrote:It's already being sold over the internet. Gawd only knows what is actually being sold. Just google "buy ru486 on internet".
And the usual caveat - Just because you can buy it over the Internet, doesn't make it legal/lawful to do so.
Not saying it is. Just saying stuff called ru486 is being sold - and may be more dangerous to a woman's health than jail.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:05 am

[msnbc][/msnbc]
SueDB wrote:
magdalen77 wrote:A lady from near my old hometown bought the pills on the internet, supposedly from Europe, and gave them to her teenaged daughter. She ended up spending a year in state prison.
It's against federal law to dispense this drug without a prescription from an authorized prescriber. It might be against some of those forever funky state laws also.

Just because you can buy it on the Internet, doesn't make it legal/lawful.
Since her trial was in the Montour County Court of Common Pleas I suspect she was charged under state law. Specifically, a state law that says only doctors can perform abortions.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:08 am

Lani wrote:
SueDB wrote:
Not saying it is. Just saying stuff called ru486 is being sold - and may be more dangerous to a woman's health than jail.
The reason they found out about it was because the daughter ended up in the hospital due to the abortion being incomplete.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:10 am

Fortinbras wrote:I wasn't even thinking of herbs. I was more concerned with substituting something maybe with rubber pipes that would be effective and fairly safe to replace something traumatic and dangerous involving wire hangers.

I am quite certain that medical professionals could work up instructions for at-home abortions that would be considerably safer than old gypsy concoctions.

In any case, the point was, if safe at-home abortions (however they were done) were readily available, the abortion-prohibition crowd might give up.
Doctors can't write booklets on safe home alternatives to abortions because there aren't any. The abortion-prohibition crowd won't give up.

One of the pills used in a normally 2-pill abortion is misoprostal. Used alone, it's 85% effective. But the 15% can suffer horrible complications. For a few years, black market pills were available in Texas border towns at flea markets. http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/texas-women- ... ut-options Texas has been cracking down on that.

I actually take misoprostal along with diclofenac several times a day in my miracle anti-inflammatory drug (Arthrotec). Huge warnings against pregnant women even handling it. If the anti-abortion forces come after misoprostal, I'm back to narcotics.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:59 pm

Aha! I found a thread to put this in.
SATANIC TEMPLE BEATS MISSOURI IN SHOWDOWN OVER ABORTION RIGHTS

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – On Wednesday, Missouri’s Solicitor General D. John Sauer declared ultrasounds are not required to obtain an abortion in Missouri, according to a press release from the Satanic Temple.

The move comes after a showdown in the Missouri Supreme Court after a group called the Satanic Temple fought the state’s abortion restrictions on behalf of an anonymous woman.
http://www.9news.com/mobile/article/new ... -511231989
ImageImageImage x4

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:30 pm

Just about every 100+ year old house around these parts has a lemon tree. Turns put, back in the day, they would lemons either to induce abortion or as a form of contraception. (Nobody has ever explained to me quite how that works. I was told they were used as an abortificant, but I suspect they would douche with lemon juice as a form of contraception.) This has always veen a very staunchly Catholic area too. Point is, women have always sought to control their fertility. If they can't do it legally and safely, they'll do it illegally and accept the risks.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:22 pm

Judge Rules That Missouri's Last Abortion Clinic Must Remain Open for Now
BY JAMIE DUCHARME AND KATIE REILLY 8:12 PM EDT

A judge granted Planned Parenthood of St. Louis a preliminary injunction on Monday, allowing Missouri’s only abortion clinic to remain open for the time being.

The ruling, hailed as a victory by abortion rights advocates, is not the final word on the dispute over Planned Parenthood’s license in the state. Circuit Judge Michael Stelzer ordered the state Department of Health and Senior Services to decide by June 21 whether to renew Planned Parenthood’s license.

https://time.com/5602157/planned-parent ... -missouri/
Missouri's Last Abortion Clinic Won't Close at Midnight, Judge Rules
BY JAMIE DUCHARME AND TARA LAW UPDATED: MAY 31, 2019 4:30 PM ET

A judge in Missouri ruled on Friday that the state’s only abortion clinic can continue providing the procedure, blocking Missouri from becoming the first state without an abortion clinic in nearly 50 years.

Planned Parenthood said in a statement Friday that St. Louis Circuit Judge Michael Stelzer issued a temporary restraining order against the State of Missouri, allowing the clinic to keep providing abortions, and that he scheduled another hearing for June 4. The clinic, a Planned Parenthood facility in St. Louis, had been set to lose its license to perform abortions at midnight on Friday.

https://time.com/5597728/planned-parent ... i-hearing/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 pm

St. Louis Judge Says Planned Parenthood Doctors Do Not Have to Testify
BY JAMIE DUCHARME UPDATED: JUNE 5, 2019 3:54 PM ET

A St. Louis judge on Tuesday handed a win to Planned Parenthood — but larger questions over the fate of Missouri’s last remaining abortion provider remain unanswered.

Circuit Court Judge Michael Stelzer decided Tuesday that five doctors who provide care at Planned Parenthood’s St. Louis clinic, but are not employed by the organization, do not have to submit to interviews by state investigators. That ruling settles a major piece of a dispute that has been brewing since last week, and prompted Planned Parenthood to file a lawsuit against the state of Missouri.

https://time.com/5601195/missouri-plann ... od-ruling/

Return to “Social Issues”