Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The City of East Lansing v Slarti

Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

In September of 2021 I let a friend of mine and her roommate move into my house in East Lansing, Michigan1. As a result of a complaint from my next door neighbor, in October of 2021 I was given two citations by the City of East Lansing for "renting without a license". A dispute that could have been easily settled by a five minute2 conversation with the city official who first contacted me in September 2021 has now dragged on for 18 months and counting going into a hearing scheduled for tomorrow morning in the 54B Circuit Court. While I don't have time to start posting the pleadings and opinions, etc. in the case so far tonight, I can and will post everything that's in the public record (and anything else my attorney says I can) when I have a chance, and will write up Slarti's first BOG report after tomorrow's hearing. While I doubt this can hold a candle to the amusement value of a Orly Taitz REEEK-O case, I think there are some interesting legal and procedural issues here3 and that some of youse might enjoy this story too. also.

As Foggy says, moar will be revealed...

Thanks,

Slarti
:towel:

1. While my primary residence is the cottage on Higgins Lake where Danraft and I live, I have maintained a bedroom in the house in East Lansing ever since I was adopted in 1969.
  2. Ten tops.
  3. And it is certainly of importance to me.
Slarti the White

Placeholder
Slarti the White

Placeholder(2)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

For those not familiar, E. Lansing is a college town, home to Michigan State, with a larger student population than full time resident population. As such, seasonal rental housing stock is critical, valued at $45M/mo, and the property mgmt industry has some muscle. They keep a keen eye on who is and is not a proper landlord.

Signed Bill - who sublet furnished rooms in his rental house just outside the E. Lansing city limit to students to reduce his own year round housing costs back in the mid 70's.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”