Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
p0rtia

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by p0rtia »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Why some say this Nevada town siren is a racist relic”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57407543
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Uninformed wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:08 pm “Why some say this Nevada town siren is a racist relic”:
Asshats claiming that a siren announcing a sundown ordinance is "heritage, not hate"? STFU.
Two Black Students Won School Honors. Then Came the Calls for a Recount.
After two white families claimed a grade calculation error, a Mississippi school added their children as co-valedictorian and co-salutatorian, reviving questions about race and equity.

At first, it seemed a joyous occasion. There was an audible gasp in the room, then boisterous cheering and applause when the announcement was made: Ikeria Washington and Layla Temple had been named 2021 valedictorian and salutatorian for West Point High School.

The president of the local N.A.A.C.P. in West Point, Miss., Anner Cunningham, smiled as the two young women, both standout students, were photographed. “It was a beautiful and proud moment to witness two young, Black ladies standing side by side given such honors,” Ms. Cunningham said.

But almost immediately parents of other students near the top of the rankings raised questions about who should have been honored. Within days, and breaking with longstanding tradition, West Point High School decided to name two valedictorians and two salutatorians — with two white students, Emma Berry and Dominic Borgioli, joining the Black students who had already been named.
:snippity:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/11/us/w ... orian.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

North Carolina plantation's Juneteenth event underscores South's historical whitewashing
The plan to center a Juneteenth event around so-called “displaced white refugees” is part of a larger effort to distort narratives about slavery.
Owners of the Latta Plantation in Huntersville, North Carolina faced a rude awakening this week when members of the public called out their planned Juneteenth event. Coinciding with the holiday that commemorates the end of legalized slavery in Texas on June 19, 1865, the Latta Plantation promised an event highlighting the experiences of white slaveholders and Confederate soldiers. “Come out to Historic Latta Plantation for a one-night event, Saturday, June 19, 2021,” they promised. “You will hear stories from the massa himself who is now living in the woods.” They went on to emphasize that the planned Juneteenth program would focus on “white refugees” who had been “displaced and have a story to tell as well.”

The plan to center a Juneteenth event around so-called “displaced white refugees” is deeply racist. But it’s also part of a much larger public effort to distort historical narratives and, in this case, miseducate the public about slavery in the United States.

According to a 2019 Washington Post poll, most Americans know little about slavery. On average Americans could only correctly answer two out of five basic questions about slavery. These dismal statistics are further compounded by national, state and local efforts to whitewash American history. With one foot out the door, former President Donald Trump released his Presidential Advisory 1776 Commission report downplaying slavery and even erased the presence of Native Americans.

Efforts to miseducate the public about history are intentional. They are often motivated by a desire to paint a rosier picture of the American past in order to evade accountability and redress. The Latta Plantation’s event, which promised to highlight the “feelings” of white slaveowners and Confederate soldiers, is revealingly sympathetic.
https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/north-car ... l-n1270593
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I am seeing people comment that the event itself has not been canceled, only the promotion has stopped. Apparently one can still buy tickets.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

neeneko wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:02 pm I am seeing people comment that the event itself has not been canceled, only the promotion has stopped. Apparently one can still buy tickets.
It's cool. The county is not renewing this non-profit's lease. They will be out June 30th.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:22 pm
neeneko wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:02 pm I am seeing people comment that the event itself has not been canceled, only the promotion has stopped. Apparently one can still buy tickets.
It's cool. The county is not renewing this non-profit's lease. They will be out June 30th.
Link?
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:24 pm
Link?
Mecklenburg County not renewing contract with Historic Latta Plantation
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

covfefe wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:26 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:24 pm
Link?
Mecklenburg County not renewing contract with Historic Latta Plantation
Thanks.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/local ... fde33f94f2
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

While Juneteenth has become very important symbolically over the last couple of decadesLink to TSHA - Juneteenth, the actual text of the General Order No. 3 (which was read by Major-General Gordon Granger to the people of Galveston on June 19, 1865) is not terribly uplifting, but rather depressingly paternalistic:
The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.
bob

Post by bob »

Some pro-level dog-whistling with "call an ace and ace" and "whole cloth."
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

jcolvin2 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:45 pm While Juneteenth has become very important symbolically over the last couple of decadesLink to TSHA - Juneteenth, the actual text of the General Order No. 3 (which was read by Major-General Gordon Granger to the people of Galveston on June 19, 1865) is not terribly uplifting, but rather depressingly paternalistic:
The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.
Not really surprising at all. But still, freedom was a big step. We had a long way to go to equality, and even longer still to justice.

I always have to remember when I look back at how they thought and treated others, like former slaves, that they did not think the same way we do now. We have grown and evolved since then and to expect they would have seen past the different world they lived in to see things as we see them is unreasonable. We need to realize that people in earlier times will not live up to our aspirational standards. To expect so would be paternalistic in the same way as the Major General was to the newly freed.

The right thinks we are tearing down history and heroes by taking the time to understand that, like all of us, they are flawed and were not up to our standards on race and it impacted how they did things. We are not, but we have to make sure we don't give them a line by creating a burden that no person in history will ever live up to. The purpose is for us to grow beyond, not to just tear down what was. Learn from the persons in history, both their good and their bad.

The right fears CRT because their view of history is through the lens of idolatry. Just saying they're wrong is not enough. I know, a bunch won't listen but we win this war by winning a few hearts, little by little until the remains of the RW collapse.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

No Boebert? No Cawthorne? No MTG?

What is this in the corner of my eye???
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

may be of general interest
ABC Tried to Bury This James Baldwin Interview. Four Decades Later, It's Blisteringly Relevant.

Larry Williams
Published on 15 Jun 2021

Buried by ABC at the time, the segment has resurfaced over four decades later, revealing a unique glimpse into Baldwin’s private life—as well as his resounding criticism about white fragility, as blisteringly relevant today as it was in 1979. Conducted by the late Sylvia Chase, the interview took place at 137 West 71st Street—the Manhattan apartment building Baldwin bought for himself and his family in 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Baldwin
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

As you no doubt think, this illustrates exactly what the controversial “CRT” is really all about.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

covfefe wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:59 am
Uninformed wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:08 pm “Why some say this Nevada town siren is a racist relic”:
:snippity:
Back in the day, Tucson used to test air raid sirens at, IIRC, 13:00 on Thursdays.

We all got used to it, but I kinda always wondered: what if the Ruskies know that and attack at 13:00 on a Thursday?

Anyway, Tucson was always a bit edgy in those days, because it was ringed with Titan Intercontenental Missle Bases, and was widely reported to be 1 of the top 5 first strike targets.

Then one day the sirens went off at 17:00. Apparently nobody else in the city cared about the pending nuclear holocaust, because when I called the Police and the Fire Department they insulted me and told me to quit calling the emergency line. I figured that the guys at Davis-Monthan would be too busy getting planes in the air to take my call, even though I could not see any particular air traffic over that way.

I still don't know what that attack was about.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona

Er, we've got the redcoats on the run?!?

Hey look, the demographics are changing. Who knew?
wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

keith wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:56 am
Back in the day, Tucson used to test air raid sirens at, IIRC, 13:00 on Thursdays.

We all got used to it, but I kinda always wondered: what if the Ruskies know that and attack at 13:00 on a Thursday?
In the early 60s in San Diego, they also regularly tested the air raid sirens. Don't remember the day of the week or the time...

I had the exact same thought you did about the Ruskies planning an attack during one of the scheduled tests.
Image Image ImageImage
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

covfefe wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:41 am :snippity:

"We fired our guns and the British kept a-comin', There wasn't as many as there was a while ago, We fired once more and they began to runnin', On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico"

I'll come in again.... :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:45 pm
covfefe wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:41 am :snippity:

"We fired our guns and the British kept a-comin', There wasn't as many as there was a while ago, We fired once more and they began to runnin', On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico"

I'll come in again.... :bag:
Off Topic
Thanks, Frater! I grew up listening to that song, it was one of my dad's favorites. My siblings and I loved to act it out. Now I play it on the ukulele.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

poplove wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:16 pm :snippity:
Off Topic
Thanks, Frater! I grew up listening to that song, it was one of my dad's favorites. My siblings and I loved to act it out. Now I play it on the ukulele.
Off Topic
I think this version would be more appropriate for a ukulele :biggrin:

"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:27 pm
poplove wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:16 pm :snippity:
Off Topic
Off Topic
I think this version would be more appropriate for a ukulele :biggrin:

Off Topic
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm going to give it a try!
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“US woman charged with hate crime after wrongly accusing black teenager”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57685493

“A US woman who wrongly accused a black teenager of taking her phone at a hotel in New York City last year has been charged with a hate crime.
Video footage showed 22-year-old Miya Ponsetto chasing and tackling the 14-year-old after accusing him of theft. Her phone was later found in an taxi.
In addition to the charge of unlawful imprisonment as a hate crime, she has been charged with aggravated harassment and endangering the welfare of a child.
She has pleaded not guilty.”
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:57 pm “US woman charged with hate crime after wrongly accusing black teenager”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57685493

“A US woman who wrongly accused a black teenager of taking her phone at a hotel in New York City last year has been charged with a hate crime.
Video footage showed 22-year-old Miya Ponsetto chasing and tackling the 14-year-old after accusing him of theft. Her phone was later found in an taxi.
In addition to the charge of unlawful imprisonment as a hate crime, she has been charged with aggravated harassment and endangering the welfare of a child.
She has pleaded not guilty.”
In an interview in January, Ms Ponsetto told CBS: "I wasn't racial profiling whatsoever".

"I'm Puerto Rican. I'm, like, a woman of colour,"
she said.

Ms Ponsetto's lawyer, Paul D'Emilia, called the charges "absurd, and a perversion of our legal system".
:fingerwag: tsk, tsk. Ms Ponsetto needs read up on racial issues in Puerto Rico.

Return to “Current Politics”