Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
pipistrelle

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by pipistrelle »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Jesus H Christ.

Okay, is it just me, or do things feel like they're coming to a head with the GQP?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

p0rtia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:12 pm Jesus H Christ.

Okay, is it just me, or do things feel like they're coming to a head with the GQP?
Not just you. But every time I’ve thought that, they get worser.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

p0rtia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:12 pm Okay, is it just me, or do things feel like they're coming to a head with the GQP?
I do think the floodgates have opened. Figuring out how core-pleasing extreme rhetoric will affect your ability to maintain your fringe has always been a risky proposition, but now that their hand has been forced (again), they are discovering the line was far from where they thought it was and are rearranging accordingly. So we are likely to see more and more dropping of the pretense and a snowball effect.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Yeah.... I mean, Liz Chaney drawing a line in the sand on the one side, and shit like the above, plus the crazy in AZ, and the various bills to allow you to kill protestors (and so much more on the other).

Cheney and Kinzinger and Romney need some damned old-school Republican support. Or just sanity.

Just feels like something's gonna snap--and I don't mean in a good way.

And there doesn't appear to be an emoticon for fear.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

p0rtia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:35 pm Yeah.... I mean, Liz Chaney drawing a line in the sand on the one side, and shit like the above, plus the crazy in AZ, and the various bills to allow you to kill protestors (and so much more on the other).

Cheney and Kinzinger and Romney need some damned old-school Republican support. Or just sanity.

Just feels like something's gonna snap--and I don't mean in a good way.

I suspect there isn't really going to be a 'snap', just a swapout like we saw with the reagan revolution or even the tea party takeover. reagan era republicans are exiting as their support dwindles and being replaced by the new ideology. democrats are probably going to be reluctant to absorb them since west virginia keeps demonstrating how little utility they get from them. but like everything else today, gonna happen a lot faster.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I was thinking of something more along the lines of a burst of violence. It's probably just in my head. I've read a lot of fiction, so when I see the signs popping up in real life, I get jumpy.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

p0rtia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:35 pm
this maybe :hide:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:55 pm
p0rtia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:35 pm
this maybe :hide:
Perfect!

:hide:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

p0rtia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:54 pm I was thinking of something more along the lines of a burst of violence. It's probably just in my head. I've read a lot of fiction, so when I see the signs popping up in real life, I get jumpy.
oh I completely get that. One of the big questions we keep trying to tackle with the political sims we work on is what the tipping point from media/economic focused conflict into armed violence looks like, and it is really hard to not see that in a lot of what has been going on. Heh, though at the moment we have a rather embarrassing issue where government forces just start bombing the hell out of political opponents on week 1.. so we have a bit of a calibration issue ^_^
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Same argument happened in CO 3 weeks ago.

Democrats in Colorado
have condemned a Republican lawmaker for joking about lynching before saying an 18th century policy designating a slave as three-fifths of a person “was not impugning anybody’s humanity.”

State Rep. Ron Hanks was speaking on the House floor Thursday about legislation aimed at strengthening civics education. He was accidentally introduced as fellow Rep. Mike Lynch.

“Being called Mr. Lynch might be a good thing for what I’m about to say. No, just kidding,” Hanks said.

Hanks, who is white, then spoke about the Three-Fifths Compromise, which was made during the nation’s Constitutional Convention in 1787 and classified a slave as three-fifths of a person when apportioning taxes and states’ representation in Congress.

“It was not impugning anybody’s humanity,” Hanks said. “Is this really racist to be talking about what the Three-Fifths Compromise was? I don’t think so, and I think it’s important. It’s part of the civics lesson here. It was brought up, and it merits discussion.”

Hanks added that the compromise was an effort by the Northern states to keep Southern states from having too much representation in Congress and push slavery beyond the South.

“It took a war to do it. It took 600,000 American lives. It took a lot of treasure. That’s the kind of thing that ought to be taught,” Hanks said.

Halisi Vinson, executive director of the Colorado Democratic Party, said Hanks’ comments were a way to “whitesplain the historical experience of Black people.”

“The fact that Representative Hanks thought it would be appropriate to make a ‘joke’ about lynching — especially at a time when we’re seeing a rise of racially motivated assaults on people of color across our country — is utterly despicable,”
Vinson said in a statement.

Shenika Carter, chair of the African Diaspora Initiative of the Colorado Democratic Party, said that calling Hank’s comments “disgusting and ignorant would be a gross understatement.”

“For him to downplay the indisputable, historical fact that enslaved Black people were treated less a person’s worth both in law and in practice is offensive and beneath the dignity of our state legislature,” Carter said in a statement.

Hanks told The Associated Press that video of his comments was manipulated to make a point he didn’t make.

“It built the union by having such a compromise. Abhorrent as we may see it in today’s terms, it took a civil war, 80 years later to settle the issue,” Hanks said.

He said he was responding to Democratic Rep. Jennifer Bacon’s remarks on the civics education proposal, which would require lessons on the three branches of government, how laws are enacted and the formation and development of government at the state and federal level.

“We talk about the root of the Constitution, we talk about the values and ideals in them, but I have to say as someone who was recognized as three-fifths, we do need to understand each other when we talk about these things,” Bacon said.

“At the end of the day, we have to understand how rules and policies affect everyone — whether I could be considered a full whole person, as a woman be allowed to vote, as a black woman be allowed to vote without paying,” she added.

Hanks called her statements “wholly false” and said “the three-fifths issue is long settled.”

“She is five-fifths in today’s society. I am five-fifths. You are five-fifths. And that was my point. And the point was to kind of talk about the Three-Fifths Compromise of 1787, not 2021,” Hanks said.

Asked about his comments on Rep. Lynch’s name, Hanks said he figured the lawmaker was embarrassed that Hanks was called by the wrong name “so I was trying to put him at ease.”

“But it did make a very interesting confluence for racists and baiters to turn it into an opportunity to create a little more strife and division,” he said.

Hanks came under scrutiny from other members of the Legislature for marching from then-President Donald Trump’s rally in Washington, D.C., to the U.S. Capitol before rioters stormed the building on Jan. 6.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

OMG. So my company is having each of the departments discuss racial issues. And I just got out of my development homeroom where every Tucker Carlson white supremacist talking point was uttered by, of course, people who started their sentences with "I almost don't want to say anything because I'm going to be accused of being a racist, but of course, I'm the least racist person you would want to meet". Followed by a shitload of racist....blah blah blah...."the Marxist organization behind Black Lives Matter doesn't give a damn about black on black crime in CHICAGOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". Etc etc.

I need a shower now.

Edit: There were more than one person spewing racist bullshit, but the guy who spewed about "black on black crime" and the "Marxist BLM organization" spewed with the same loud angry voice that Fox opinion hosts spew. They really know how to work their audience into a frenzy that follows these people through their daily lives. This was a meeting of a so-called professional department. And he was screaming Tucker Carlson talking points. Sickening.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

To anyone arguing that three fifths of a man isn't a big deal, I suggest they adopt that for themselves. Show us the great advantages you enjoy with that status.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Much sympathy, RV! No reason to talk to cultists, other than to be a thorn in their side.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I hadn't seen the video posted here, but I saw it on my Twitter feed a few hours ago.

Revisionist history.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

So Hanks AND Lafferty made stupid arguments about the 3/5 compromise?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:09 pm So Hanks AND Lafferty made stupid arguments about the 3/5 compromise?
Yep. And in my view, the slaves should have been counted as 0/5ths, for the purpose of distributing Congressional representation for the White Male landowner voting population of the southern states. Since they were not free and could not have a voice/vote.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

neeneko wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:03 pm
Volkonski wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:37 pm
CNN's Rick Santorum: "We birthed a nation from nothing. I mean, there was nothing here. I mean, yes we have Native Americans but candidly there isn't much Native American culture in American culture"
Given how much of our democratic/republic system was inspired by contemporary first nations, this really says a lot about how much republicans respect, well, our democratic institutions.

"I wanted to give you a chance to explain yourself, because that's what this show is about."

Tonight
@ChrisCuomo
asked Rick Santorum about Santorum's widely-condemned comments on Native American culture – here's the entire clip
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Two women stabbed in San Francisco amid rise in anti-Asian attacks

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... 1620319565

Women, one 63 and the second 84, were waiting for the bus
Suspect arrested and faces two attempted murder charges
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

A little different than most of what is here, but a racist asshat none-the-less...
6F985423-8319-4DC4-9D8F-8DEE973E501B.jpeg
6F985423-8319-4DC4-9D8F-8DEE973E501B.jpeg (201.32 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
SOMEBUNNY has been putting the idea in these folk’s heads that IMMIGRATION BAD! Wonder how they think they got here, fairy dust magic? 🧚‍♀️
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

covfefe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:16 pm A little different than most of what is here, but a racist asshat none-the-less...
SOMEBUNNY has been putting the idea in these folk’s heads that IMMIGRATION BAD! Wonder how they think they got here, fairy dust magic? 🧚‍♀️
I've said it in some form or other, but an immigrant is generally going to treat you with respect (regardless of their legal status). A few are assholes (bad apples in the bunch). Just like some some Americans are assholes -- they think they are king shit, because they are American?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

neonzx wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:34 pm
covfefe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:16 pm A little different than most of what is here, but a racist asshat none-the-less...
I've said it in some form or other, but an immigrant is generally going to treat you with respect (regardless of their legal status). A few are assholes (bad apples in the bunch). Just like some some Americans are assholes -- they think they are king shit.
I went to Amazon to see if that was where that rating was from. The statistics reports a single review of one star, but that review was removed. I was actually going to report that review if I found it there. This kind of thing gets under my skin.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

RVInit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:39 pm I went to Amazon to see if that was where that rating was from. The statistics reports a single review of one star, but that review was removed. I was actually going to report that review if I found it there. This kind of thing gets under my skin.
That particular review was from Goodreads, it has either been removed or is under review. Here’s the original tweet if anyone wants to go show some love...
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

KXII News 12
@KXIITV
Callisburg ISD said they’re investigating after a video surfaced of someone at school dressed as a member of the Ku Klux Klan.
Callisburg is a city of about 350 people north of DFW. The CISD serves other small cities and unincorporated areas.

That video is over 4 years old but has just recently surfaced.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Return to “Current Politics”