Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by raison de arizona »

Korean WaPo reporter who grew up in Iowa faces a flood of racist attacks.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

This is what they call Pennsyltuckey, right?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yep, that would be Pennsyltucky. :x
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:37 pm Yep, that would be Pennsyltucky. :x
To be fair, I saw a lot of that kind of garbage in both pittsburgh and philly too.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neeneko wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:42 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:37 pm Yep, that would be Pennsyltucky. :x
To be fair, I saw a lot of that kind of garbage in both pittsburgh and philly too.
Yeah, that's the problem. It's really everywhere.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

Eugenics continue unabated.
Screenshot_2021-02-28 Scott Hechinger ( ScottHech) Twitter.png
Screenshot_2021-02-28 Scott Hechinger ( ScottHech) Twitter.png (305.32 KiB) Viewed 14282 times

Link to thread - https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1364 ... 95105.html
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona

Holy crap.
California State audit & prison records showed nearly 1400 sterilization procedures occurred btwn 1997-2013.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I had to stop reading the thread and take a break. Couldn't handle it.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I had foolishly thought that things like this no longer happened. Doctors who did this need to lose their licenses and be publicly shamed.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Volkonski wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:09 am I had foolishly thought that things like this no longer happened. Doctors who did this need to lose their licenses and be publicly shamed.
Public shaming is far too good for them. A doctor perform involuntary sterilizations on minority inmates deserves prison time. Period. And those that ordered it deserve even more.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

covfefe wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:47 am
Volkonski wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:09 am I had foolishly thought that things like this no longer happened. Doctors who did this need to lose their licenses and be publicly shamed.
Public shaming is far too good for them. A doctor perform involuntary sterilizations on minority inmates deserves prison time. Period. And those that ordered it deserve even more.
Loss of license would be a good start.
jadedmonk

Post by jadedmonk »

Global history has frequently shown us that when a particular pattern of behavior falls out of favor with the majority, the minority still practice it by learning to hide it better.

It's been my observation that racism is just as bad as it ever was, but most people refuse to see it and its roots are very, very deeply submerged. So deep the devil himself frequently uses them for a stool.
- your friendly local "extreme moderate", political science extrordinaire, and master of the simulacrum.
jadedmonk

Post by jadedmonk »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:59 am
Loss of license would be a good start.
Loss of freedom would be a great end.
- your friendly local "extreme moderate", political science extrordinaire, and master of the simulacrum.
jadedmonk

Post by jadedmonk »

Research "female circumcision". You're probably already aware of this monstrosity, but I doubt you realize how prevalent it is in Africa and the Middle East.
Baidn

Post by Baidn »

The fight against racism and for true equality is ongoing as always. One of the biggest issues right now I think comes down to generational issues. Many of the older generation on the privileged side of things sees the progress that has been made (which has been enormous no doubt) and thinks "isn't that enough?" resenting being asked to look inward or to examine the structures that have allowed them relative comfort denied others by circumstance. On the other side I've personally had to expend a great deal of energy facilitating communication between older activist who view the younger generation as ungrateful for their past sacrifices and younger ones frustrated at the apparent complacency of men and women who seem to view their battles as already fought and won. So it becomes hard convince both sides of the work left to be done, something expertly exploited by bad actors enriched and empowered by the status quo.
"...don't teach a man to fish. He's a grown man and fishings not that hard." Ron Swanson the worlds only good libertarian
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

This won't have an immediate effect and won't apply to all kids my grandkids' ages, but they are growing up in the heart of the city. Being white, they are the minorities in each of their schools, and each goes to a magnet school. When they were in daycare, my daughter put them into the closest, most convenience (and outstanding) daycare nearest to her office, each at different times. My grandson had to leave the daycare when he was two years old, but my granddaughter was there until she was four years old. We all thought it was amusing that because she was in a daycare that was at least 90 percent black, workers and children, she started picking up the black pronunciation of the city. They live in a mixed neighborhood, more white than black, but still lots of neighbors that are black. This was my daughter and son-in-law's choice. The only comments I've ever heard from my grandkids about differences among people in the neighborhood were the people who put out signs for the former and those who put out signs for Biden.

I have never heard a word from my grandkids that makes me think that they think this is anything but normal. They have friends of all races. My grandson at seven was too young to notice, but my eleven-year-old was horrified at the events of last summer. She could not wrap her head around it. Her parents limited her access to a lot of it, though.

She was shocked at the Tree of Life shooting a few years ago, although we tried to keep as much as possible about that away from her at her age then. She went to school blocks from there and knew exactly where it was. The family had driven by the building literally moments before the shooting happened.

I don't think we should have to wait for kids in the generation (and, of course, a lot of kids from their generation are learning different lessons in different areas) to grow up to see equality, but this is one way to see less of it in the future.
jadedmonk

Post by jadedmonk »

Baidn wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:48 am The fight against racism and for true equality is ongoing as always. One of the biggest issues right now I think comes down to generational issues. Many of the older generation on the privileged side of things sees the progress that has been made (which has been enormous no doubt) and thinks "isn't that enough?" resenting being asked to look inward or to examine the structures that have allowed them relative comfort denied others by circumstance. On the other side I've personally had to expend a great deal of energy facilitating communication between older activist who view the younger generation as ungrateful for their past sacrifices and younger ones frustrated at the apparent complacency of men and women who seem to view their battles as already fought and won. So it becomes hard convince both sides of the work left to be done, something expertly exploited by bad actors enriched and empowered by the status quo.
From my perspective, the roots of racism & the facets where it's the worst go completely unnoticed, while the ones being pushed by the crowd dominate a false-reality paradigm that Corporate america exacerbates over the worst of racism and where the root of it lies because it serves their interests.
raison de arizona

jadedmonk wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:05 pm
Baidn wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:48 am The fight against racism and for true equality is ongoing as always. One of the biggest issues right now I think comes down to generational issues. Many of the older generation on the privileged side of things sees the progress that has been made (which has been enormous no doubt) and thinks "isn't that enough?" resenting being asked to look inward or to examine the structures that have allowed them relative comfort denied others by circumstance. On the other side I've personally had to expend a great deal of energy facilitating communication between older activist who view the younger generation as ungrateful for their past sacrifices and younger ones frustrated at the apparent complacency of men and women who seem to view their battles as already fought and won. So it becomes hard convince both sides of the work left to be done, something expertly exploited by bad actors enriched and empowered by the status quo.
From my perspective, the roots of racism & the facets where it's the worst go completely unnoticed, while the ones being pushed by the crowd dominate a false-reality paradigm that Corporate america exacerbates over the worst of racism and where the root of it lies because it serves their interests.
I'm having trouble parsing your sentence. What are you saying the roots of racism & the facets where it's worst are? Are you saying the issues being addressed in corporate America through DEI and equity initiatives are a false-reality paradigm that doesn't address the worst of racism or where the root lies?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

One of my cousins posted this-
So my beautiful daughter (who happens to be of Korean descent) was in downtown Nampa last night getting exercise as she played Pokey Man Go when two teenage boys came along and pushed her and made derogatory comments. While she was not physically harmed she was emotionally. With all that has been going on elsewhere against Asians because of Covid I was still hopeful we would not see that happen here. I have been more concerned about my son who is in LA. Now it seems the bigotry/racism is just as alive here in the Treasure Valley. As one of the teens was Hispanic I hope he does not see this turned against him at some point.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Oh, lord. Please send word back along the trail that there are a lot of people here who are hurting for her, and angry on her behalf. And we count way more that racist scubags. :heart:
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

jadedmonk wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:41 am
Research "female circumcision". You're probably already aware of this monstrosity, but I doubt you realize how prevalent it is in Africa and the Middle East.
Stats vary wildly by country. Egypt practices the most brutal for of FGM. 90% of Egyptian women have been mutilated. Ethiopia also has an extremely high number of mutilated women. Not all African an Middle Eastern countries practice FGM.

99.5% of FGM is performed by family members and/or village midwives. Historically it's never been performed by those with a background in medicine, and almost never, ever by men.

Those doctors who now perform FGM have anesthesia and clean instruments. For those doctors, the debate is "what is better if a family insists on FGM; a sterile environment in which pain relief is available or allowing FGM performed by traditional practitioners"

FGM is inhumane and a crime against humanity. I'm not justifying the practice as performed by doctors. But I see the dilemma.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K

Post by LM K »

On any inmate.
LM K

Post by LM K »

"White nationalist hate groups in the US have increased 55% throughout the Trump era, according to a new report by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), and a “surging” racist movement continues to be driven by “a deep fear of demographic change”.

Nationally, there were 155 such groups counted last year, and they were present in most states. These groups were counted separately from Ku Klux Klan groups, racist skinheads, Christian Identity groups, and neo-Confederate groups, all of which also express some version of white supremacist beliefs."

https://www.splcenter.org/year-hate-and-extremism-2019

This investigation looks at the increase in the number of hate groups. While that partially answers the forum question, I believe there's more to it.

I don't believe there are more racists. But they've organized and are now much more visible in the public sphere.

IMO, Trump facilitated the increased visibility of white supremacists. White supremacists no longer felt/feel the need to hide to the degree that they have in the past 20+ years. White extremists went more mainstream.

Oregon has a reputation for being very liberal. It's not. Outside of Portland, Salem, and Eugene, the state is ruby red. White supremacists have always thrived in rural areas. (OR was intended to be a white only state.) Now white supremacists feel bolder and are coming into the large cities for protests and other activities.

Racism has always been alive and active. But for a time, racists realized they needed to go into the shadows. They have come out of the shadows and are now thriving in the public sphere. Yet, they complain about "cancel culture" because they are more easily identifiable. The BLM movement highlighted such groups, and some white supremacists are enraged that they're being pushed out of the public sphere. This rage boiled over on Jan 6. Now these groups are experiencing serious consequences ... socially and legally.

That said, we as a nation tolerated such blatant racism once it reemerged. It took Jan 6 to slap us awake.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Amanda Gorman

A security guard tailed me on my walk home tonight. He demanded if I lived there because “you look suspicious.” I showed my keys & buzzed myself into my building. He left, no apology. This is the reality of black girls: One day you’re called an icon, the next day, a threat.

In a sense, he was right. I AM A THREAT: a threat to injustice, to inequality, to ignorance. Anyone who speaks the truth and walks with hope is an obvious and fatal danger to the powers that be.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I had to go to the shop today and on the way home I was sitting at a light and looked over and there was a big black pickup truck with a confederate flag on the back window in the next lane, which is nothing new for these parts of Virginia. But as traffic started to move I could see this guy had big white letters on his tailgate that said “Certified White Boy”. Shame I didn’t get a better photo.
White Boy.jpg
White Boy.jpg (26.86 KiB) Viewed 13929 times
More like a certified asshole id you ask me... :roll:

Return to “Current Politics”