Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by AndyinPA »

:cry:

Literally.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Thank dog for video!

From Salon Black Army Officer Sues Police for Pepper-Spraying, Threatening Him During Traffic Stop
A second lieutenant in the U.S. Army has filed a lawsuit against two police officers in Virginia for a traffic stop in which they drew their guns, pointed them at him in a threatening manner, and pepper-sprayed him before knocking him to the ground and placing him in handcuffs. The reason that warranted such a high degree of force? Caron Nazario had tinted windows and didn’t have a rear license plate. Footage of the December stop from body cameras shows how Nazario, who is Black and Latino, was wearing military fatigues during the stop and had his arms up the whole time. “I’m actively serving this country, and this is how I’m treated?” Nazario says at one point.

The video shows how the officers had their guns pointing at him while Nazario sat in his parked car at a gas station. The officers repeatedly tell Nazario to get out of the car. “What’s going on?” Nazario repeatedly asks. Officer Joe Gutierrez at one point says, “What’s going on? You’re fixin’ to ride the lightning, son.” The lawsuit states that phrase was a line from the movie The Green Mile and is a reference to the electric chair. “I’m honestly afraid to get out,” Nazario says at one point. “Yeah, you should be!” Gutierrez responds. He then proceeds to pepper-spray Nazario several times. Nazario demands explanations for what is happening, saying his dog is in the back of the car choking on the pepper spray. “This is really messed up,” Nazario says.

Previously, Windsor Police Officer Daniel Crocker had radioed the station saying he was attempting to stop a vehicle but the driver was “eluding police” and he was considered a “high-risk traffic stop.” Gutierrez was driving by and heard Crocker’s call and decided to join. Nazario disputes the allegation he was attempting to drive away, saying he traveled less than a mile and was just trying to stop in a well-lit area. By the time the officers reached Nazario’s car they could see that he had a temporary license plate taped to his rear window, according to the lawsuit.

After he is pepper-sprayed, the officer manages to pull Nazario out of the SUV. Nazario is clearly disoriented, but the officers don’t stop yelling at him. “Can you please talk to me about what’s going on?” Nazario asks several times. “Why am I being treated like this?” Gutierrez proceeded to respond with “knee strikes” to the legs, which knocked him to the ground. “These cameras captured footage of behavior consistent with a disgusting nationwide trend of law enforcement officers, who, believing they can operate with complete impunity, engage in unprofessional, discourteous, racially biased, dangerous and sometimes deadly abuses of authority,” notes the lawsuit.
From Armtimes:

Army lieutenant sues police for pepper spraying, threatening him during stop

A second lieutenant in the U.S. Army is suing two Virginia police officers over a traffic stop last December during which the officers drew their guns, pointed them at him and used a slang term to suggest he was facing execution before pepper-spraying him and knocking him to the ground.

Body camera footage shows 2nd Lt. Caron Nazario, who is Black and Latino, dressed in uniform with his hands held in the air outside the driver’s side window as he told the armed officers, “I’m honestly afraid to get out.”

“Yeah, you should be!”
one of the officers responded during the stop at a gas station.

In a lawsuit filed earlier this month, Nazario says his constitutional rights were violated during the traffic stop in the town of Windsor, about 30 miles west of Norfolk. The two sides in the case dispute what happened after a second police officer joined the first one in the stop. At the time, Nazario was coming from his duty station and going home, attorney Jonathan Arthur told The Associated Press on Friday.

Nazario is assigned to Fort Lee, according to WAVY.com.

“Graduated from Virginia State University. He was commissioned out of their ROTC program. He’s an officer in the United States armed forces,” Arthur said. “These guys decide to do this to him.”

Asked about Nazario’s condition after the incident, Arthur said, “He’s definitely not doing too well.”

Windsor Police Officer Daniel Crocker radioed he was attempting to stop a vehicle with no rear license plate and tinted windows. He said the driver was “eluding police” and he considered it a “high-risk traffic stop,” according to a report he submitted afterward and which was included in the court filing.

Arthur said Nazario explained at the time that he wasn’t trying to elude the officer, but was trying to stop in a well-lit area “for officer safety and out of respect for the officers.”

Another officer, Joe Gutierrez, was driving by when he heard Crocker’s call, saw him attempting to stop the SUV and decided to join the traffic stop. Gutierrez acknowledged that Nazario’s decision to drive to a lighted area happens to him “a lot, and 80% of the time, it’s a minority,” Arthur said, quoting the officer.

2nd Lt. Caron Nazario says his constitutional rights were violated by the traffic stop, in which Windsor police made threats, drew their weapons, and pepper sprayed him.

The lawsuit says by the time the two officers reached Nazario’s SUV, the license plate was visible in the rear.

Nazario drove his SUV to a well-lit gas station where, according to the lawsuit, the two officers got out and immediately drew their guns and pointed them at Nazario after they got out of their cars. The officers then attempted to pull Nazario out of the vehicle while he continued to keep his hands in the air. Gutierrez then stepped back and pepper-sprayed Nazario multiple times as officers yelled for him to get out of the car.

“I don’t even want to reach for my seatbelt, can you please? … My hands are out, can you please — look, this is really messed up,” Nazario stammered upon being pepper-sprayed, his eyes clenched shut.

The officers shouted conflicting orders at Nazario, telling him to put his hands out the window while also telling him to open the door and get out, the lawsuit says.

At one point, Gutierrez told Nazario he was “fixin’ to ride the lightning,” a reference to the electric chair which was also a line from the movie “The Green Mile,” a film about a Black man facing execution.

Nazario got out of the vehicle and again asked for a supervisor. Gutierrez responded with “knee-strikes” to his legs, knocking him to the ground, the lawsuit says. The two officers struck him multiple times, then handcuffed and interrogated him.

Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Kaleth Wright posted a lengthy and passionate thread on Twitter about police brutality and the deaths of black men like George Floyd Monday night.

The traffic stop was captured on Nazario’s cellphone video, and the body cameras worn by Crocker and Gutierrez, according to the lawsuit.

“These cameras captured footage of behavior consistent with a disgusting nationwide trend of law enforcement officers who, believing they can operate with complete impunity, engage in unprofessional, discourteous, racially biased, dangerous and sometimes deadly abuses of authority … ” the lawsuit says.

The AP reached out to Windsor police for comment, but an email was not returned and their voice mailbox was full. No one answered the phone at a number listed for Crocker on Friday.

Crocker and Gutierrez still work for the department, the town manager told The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Senator Mazie Hirono sent out an email with a "Combat Hate Crime Toolkit" in 24 languages. https://www.apiahf.org/hate-crime-resou ... id=2543833
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Wow, thanks Lani. :bighug:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Ex-cop now

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

There were two officers, weren't there?

Edited to add: Yes, there were two officers.

Of course I don't know for sure why only one officer is mentioned here, but I will take the opportunity to state that those who witness and do nothing add immeasurably to institutional racism/sexism/bullying and are also culpable. Indeed they are an essential component to these societal problems.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

LM K wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:35 pm Thank dog for video!

From Salon Black Army Officer Sues Police for Pepper-Spraying, Threatening Him During Traffic Stop
Previously, Windsor Police Officer Daniel Crocker had radioed the station saying he was attempting to stop a vehicle but the driver was “eluding police” and he was considered a “high-risk traffic stop.” Gutierrez was driving by and heard Crocker’s call and decided to join. Nazario disputes the allegation he was attempting to drive away, saying he traveled less than a mile and was just trying to stop in a well-lit area. By the time the officers reached Nazario’s car they could see that he had a temporary license plate taped to his rear window, according to the lawsuit.
This will always drive my blood pressure up. I can recall when I was in school there was a rash of some guy pretending to be a cop to pull over and assault women. The police made a big deal about how if you don't feel comfortable you should always lead a patrol car to a well lit area when being pulled over, it was even in our driver's ed material at the time! But people quickly found out that if you follow that advice, police get really angry.

And police supporters wonder why students grow up believing police are not to be trusted?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

neeneko wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:12 am IThis will always drive my blood pressure up. I can recall when I was in school there was a rash of some guy pretending to be a cop to pull over and assault women. The police made a big deal about how if you don't feel comfortable you should always lead a patrol car to a well lit area when being pulled over, it was even in our driver's ed material at the time! But people quickly found out that if you follow that advice, police get really angry.

And police supporters wonder why students grow up believing police are not to be trusted?
I've seen that and it's unfortunate. Obviously, it's mostly women. This is before cell phones and instant 911 --you can flee from the police if feeling unsafe (and did nothing wrong) . But back then...
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Probably a benefit of WP (even back in 78), but cops seemed to appreciate I pulled off the main drag to a side street so they were not out in traffic while trying to give me a ticket.

There was a time when I wondered if our car was on every cop's wanted list, but that 64 Dodge Polaris attracted more than its share of traffic stops for me and Mrs. Total cop magnet for a blue hair Granny car. But, I always kept it cordial, greeted them with "Hey guy, how's it going?", and explained (with a smile) I rolled to the next corner for their safety. That seemed to drop their anxiety a notch, but didn't always stop the ticket for five over, incomplete stop, lack of signalled lane change, etc. It's not like we were Bonnie and Clyde racing through town. Cops just seemed to like the car.

Once we got the maroon Ford pick up, tickets seemed to magically stop.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/ ... ws-rcna650
In semi-private, encrypted chats, neo-Nazis and other far-right extremists planned rallies in dozens of cities Sunday to promote their racist movements and spread their ideologies to larger audiences.

Hyped by organizers as events that would make “the whole world tremble,” the rallies ran into a major problem: Hardly anyone showed up.

The “White Lives Matter” rallies, the first major real-world organizing efforts by white supremacists since 2018, were planned on the encrypted app Telegram after many aligned groups were alleged to have taken part in the Jan. 6 storming of the U.S Capitol.

The poor showing underscores how the country’s unpopular and disorganized extremist movements have been driven underground by increased scrutiny from the media, law enforcement agencies and far-left activists who infiltrate their private online spaces and disrupt their attempts to communicate and organize.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K

Post by LM K »

neeneko wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:12 am
LM K wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:35 pm Thank dog for video!

This will always drive my blood pressure up. I can recall when I was in school there was a rash of some guy pretending to be a cop to pull over and assault women. The police made a big deal about how if you don't feel comfortable you should always lead a patrol car to a well lit area when being pulled over, it was even in our driver's ed material at the time! But people quickly found out that if you follow that advice, police get really angry.

When I see the flashing lights and need to pull over, turn on my hazard lights as I drive to a well lit area. I've only had to do that once, but I figured that the hazard lights would show that I knew I was to pull over when it was safe to do so.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

That is an excellent suggestion. It ought to be in the Drivers' Ed manuals.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

LM K wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:40 pm When I see the flashing lights and need to pull over, turn on my hazard lights as I drive to a well lit area. I've only had to do that once, but I figured that the hazard lights would show that I knew I was to pull over when it was safe to do so.
I am having to pull from ancient memories of driver's ed classes, but I think this is what we were indeed told to do, but I still heard stories about it upsetting police since you were not pulling over immediately. After all, when you do that, YOU are deciding where and when to pull over rather than the officer, which can make officers feel like they are not controlling the situation.
LM K

Post by LM K »

In my community, there has been a big push for folks to pull over safely for officers' safety. An officer was killed one night during a traffic stop due to pulling a car over on a dark, busy place.

We have had public announcements about pulling over safely.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

They've been running ads off and on here since the 70s about putting on your flashers and driving to a well-lit place. The problem now is that the shootings are taking place in the well lit places.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Clergy speak out over 'racism in Church of England'”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56779190
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

roadscholar wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 pm That is an excellent suggestion. It ought to be in the Drivers' Ed manuals.
I thought it was.

I thought this is what we were advised to do.

I can never remember where my flashers are, but I can flip up the turn signal.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Something that has been plastered across my feed today:

‘Riding Bikes While Black’: New Jersey Cops Under Fire for Confiscating Bike and Arresting Teen

Apparently Perth Amboy NK has a local law requiring a 50 cent license sticker on all bikes ridden on their roads, thus providing a pretext for arresting kids from neighboring towns. Cops confiscated at least one bike, arrested some black kids for not being polite enough, asked them for proof of ownership (since who knows, maybe they stole them from a white kid somewhere?), and told them they were lucky they were even getting their bikes back.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

I can never remember where my flashers are, but I can flip up the turn signal.
You should find them, for a bunch of reasons. Say, if you have a flattening tire and are slowing way down. Emergency flashers say something turn signals don't. Hell, we motorcyclists pay little attention to them anyway, since folks are so bad at using them consistently.

Putting the emergency flashers on when pulled over by a cop says "I am going to pull over, and I will drive slowly while looking for a good place to do it."
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

neeneko wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 pm Something that has been plastered across my feed today:

‘Riding Bikes While Black’: New Jersey Cops Under Fire for Confiscating Bike and Arresting Teen

Apparently Perth Amboy NK has a local law requiring a 50 cent license sticker on all bikes ridden on their roads, thus providing a pretext for arresting kids from neighboring towns. Cops confiscated at least one bike, arrested some black kids for not being polite enough, asked them for proof of ownership (since who knows, maybe they stole them from a white kid somewhere?), and told them they were lucky they were even getting their bikes back.
Saw this. Checked out NJ (land of my youht) for rules. The state bike site talks about getting the fifty cent registration stickers as a service to bike owners, because bike-stealing is so huge, and this is a way to protect and help the bike owners. Unfortunately, all the irony meters are broken, so I have no comment.
LM K

Post by LM K »

neeneko wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 pm Something that has been plastered across my feed today:

This is so disturbing in so many ways.

At the station, a cop talks about how they have better things to do with their time. And yet 9 officers were sent to the scene. :brickwallsmall:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:43 am ... but I can flip up the turn signal.
You would be among the 10% in the Chicago area that actually realize their vehicle comes equipped with turn signals (though half of the 10% don't use the turn signal until halfway through the turn/lane change).

I would not be surprised if CPS police actually stopped cars driven by people of color for not using their turn signal. Some 15 years back when I was driving down South Lake Shore for a class at one of the seminaries, near everybody, except for me, was driving way over the speed limit but only those who were black were pulled over. I watched that regularly.
101010 :towel:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Australians dont know what a hazard light is either.

They will stop in the middle of a busy shopping street and turn on their left turn signal when waiting for a parked car to move out so they can park.

THAT IS WHAT THE HAZARDS ARE FOR. You aren't turning, you are creating a traffic hazard for crying out loud.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Hey join in the fun...

This RWNJ put up this poll; retweeted it. Nobody comments on her posts so just a few Fogbowzers and her little poll will be borked. To add to the laughs, the RWNJ followed me; must not have read my timeline. We'll see how long that lasts, the lovely Amy Kremer made the same mistake :lol:
I am going to start a private school where there are no masks, va))ines, or social distancing. The curriculum will be about real life, how to grow food, and things people actually need to know. What do you think?

Yes I Love it
No You're Scaring Me
Vote now! :P [ETA: Lani is right below, Donna is a RWNJ, just vote, don't bother with her ignorance and hate. 4 votes now, all NO :lol: ]

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Lani

Post by Lani »

It took me awhile to figure out what va))ines are.

PS lots of racism and stupid in her twitter account. Sorry I looked. :cantlook:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.

Return to “Current Politics”