Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
p0rtia

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by p0rtia »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:04 pm
fierceredpanda wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:40 pm Oh man, I'd forgotten that deep cut. :bag:
I instinctively say "What a snob." :P

Now I'm going back to informing CNN that they are amplifying racism on the level of the KKK. #mediacomplicit
Didn't know my own strength!

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:groupdance:

Long overdue.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

LOL. Say "El Paso' in Engish.:rotflmao:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Or for that matter, “Van Nuys.” Or “Baton Rouge.” Or “Nova Scotia.” Or “Minnesota.” Or “Philadelphia.” Or.... :roll:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Some years ago, I worked for a United Church of Christ church whose history came from the German Evangelical and Reformed Church (the UCC is a merge of Congregational and Evangelical and Reformed and others). While the church was started in the late 19th Century, their services were still only in German up until the 20s. I'm not sure if WWI was part of the reason for the change, or that the immigrant generation had given way to native-born children so they naturally started moving to English (as normally has happens).

They still have carvings in German around the altar and other places around the church and, at least when I was there, they were still singing one version of Silent Night in German.

These 'speak English' people are full of merde. Freedom for me but not for thee.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:mad:
Asian woman, 55, knocked out in unprovoked attack in NYC's Chinatown, police say
Alexander Wright, 48, of Manhattan, was charged with one count of assault as a hate crime, assault and criminal possession of a controlled substance in connection with the incident.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/as ... d_nn_tw_ma
The woman was walking down Bayard Street shortly after 6 p.m. ET when a man in the opposite direction randomly punched her in the face, causing her to fall to the ground, according to police and surveillance video that New York state Assemblymember Yuh-Line Niou posted on Twitter.

The footage showed several people on the street approach the woman, who appears unconscious on the ground, as the man walks away.

The woman was taken to New York-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital, where she was stable, police said. The identity of the victim was not immediately released by authorities.

Wright was arrested a block away from the attack and taken to Bellevue Hospital for a psychological evaluation.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Does he say "what did you hit me for"?

I did not see her do anything to him prior to his left swing. In fact, he seemed to veer into her path to be within reach of his punch.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:19 am Does he say "what did you hit me for"?

I did not see her do anything to him prior to his left swing. In fact, he seemed to veer into her path to be within reach of his punch.
I thought it was an off camera witness asking "what did you do that for"?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

keith wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:28 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:19 am Does he say "what did you hit me for"?

I thought it was an off camera witness asking "what did you do that for"?
Listen again. He follows up with "why'd you hit me" just before the video loops back.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

This is why our security group is selling more bug-eye lens cameras that have a 360 view. The raw video is a mess, but in the client software it gets straightened out. Then you can PTZ (pan tilt zoom) in the recording to track a specific event. You are not stuck with what falls within the range of a fixed focus camera. Your camera count is greatly reduced, but your storage requirements are increased.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

roadscholar wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:41 pm Or for that matter, “Van Nuys.” Or “Baton Rouge.” Or “Nova Scotia.” Or “Minnesota.” Or “Philadelphia.” Or.... :roll:
Or Los Angeles. Or CALIFORNIA for that matter, that's Spanish derived from Arabic.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

That was him, but he was talking to somebody behind him, off camera left. Not the victim.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I can't picture this vehicle going unvandalized for very long in my neck of the woods.

I expect reactions in the Chicago area might be a little more...assertive.

Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

The "N-word" has been a thing for so long that I had a visceral reaction to seeing it actually spelled out.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I did too.
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

In response to the car slogan: “They are already afraid cuz of racists like you. That fear never left.”
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Well, there appears to be more to this story and it may actually be a protest against the Tinley Park Police Department. The drivers are black.

https://patch.com/illinois/tinleypark/c ... ng-concern
Cars With Racial Slurs Drive Through Tinley Park Causing Concern

TINLEY PARK, IL — A number of vehicles have been spotted driving through areas of Tinley Park, Orland Park and Orland Hills with derogatory and racist language written in duct tape.

The statements on the cars read, "Tinley Parkkk, we Lynch [racial slur]," "Makkke [racial slur] Afraid Again" and "Tinley Parkkk, White Only."

According to Tinley Park Police Chief Matthew Walsh, the people driving the cars are Black, trying to spread a message that, to him, is unclear. The chief said the state's attorney's office informed the village that this act is protected by the First Amendment. The state's attorney said if a citizen found it offensive enough to file a formal complaint, the people involved could be charged with disorderly conduct.

"We're aware of it," Walsh told Patch. "I don't know why they would put words like that on a vehicle. I don't understand it."
:snippity:
Editor's note: After publishing, one of the men involved told Patch the demonstration is a protest against the Tinley Park Police Department.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Veteran's microphone cut off when he discusses Blacks' role in establishing Memorial Day”:
https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/new ... 508217002/

“Event organizer turned down sound for part of speech; Speaker says he was censored by Hudson American Legion”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
much ado

Post by much ado »

Where do we donate to help restore it?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Here's an article about the statute and that woman.
https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2021/06 ... ray-paint/

Her name is being mentioned on Twitter.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:00 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... orial-day/
Retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter was midway through his speech at a Memorial Day ceremony in an Ohio cemetery when he started discussing the role that freed Black enslaved people played in an early event honoring Civil War dead.

Suddenly, his microphone cut off. Kemter, 77, tapped it a few times before yelling for assistance, video of the Monday event shows.

“I assumed it was a technical glitch,” Kemter, who carried on with his speech off-mic while he waited for the audio to return, told The Washington Post.

But the disruption was no glitch. One of the event’s organizers later admitted the audio had been deliberately turned down, telling the Akron Beacon Journal that Kemter’s discussion of Black history “was not relevant to our program for the day.”
Uninformed wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:00 am “Veteran's microphone cut off when he discusses Blacks' role in establishing Memorial Day”:
https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/new ... 508217002/

“Event organizer turned down sound for part of speech; Speaker says he was censored by Hudson American Legion”
This one has a happy ending. The commander of the Ohio America Legion has suspended the charter of the post pending permanent closure and has demanded the post officer resign his membership. The lady from the auxiliary is also out.

https://www.ohiolegion.com/wp-content/u ... 4.2021.pdf
https://www.ohiolegion.com/

The American Legion has reprinted the speaker's speech in full, unedited, with the speaker's permission.

https://www.legion.org/honor/252713/ful ... jf03SvXrPc
much ado

Post by much ado »

Truly impressive! :clap:

Return to “Current Politics”