Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Texas Big Freeze Aftermath

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Re: Texas Big Freeze Aftermath

Post by zekeb »

filly wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:58 pm And nothing will be done about this.
Sure it will. They'll keep working to keep your electric rates low and out of the hands of federal regulators.
Il factotum
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Drillers Burned Off Gas at a Staggering Rate as Winter Storm Hit Texas
Frigid temperatures last month froze pipelines and forced companies to flare vast amounts of planet-warming gases that they suddenly had nowhere to send.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/26/clim ... l-gas.html
As Texas was crippled last month by frigid temperatures that killed more than 100 people and triggered widespread blackouts, drilling companies in the state’s largest oil field were forced to burn off an extraordinary amount of natural gas — on the worst day, an amount that could have powered tens of thousands of homes for at least a year.

The need to intentionally burn off, or flare, an estimated 1.6 billion cubic feet of gas in a single day — a fivefold increase from rates seen before the crisis, according to satellite analysis — came as the state’s power plants went offline and pipelines froze, so the wells simply had no place to send the natural gas still streaming out of the ground. As a result, the gas had to be set ablaze, fueling towering flames, the highest of which can reach hundreds of feet into the air.

“This is clearly one of the highest spikes” in flaring ever observed in the Permian Basin, said Mark Omara, a senior researcher at the Environmental Defense Fund who led the analysis, which was based on satellite data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “And it could be an underestimate,” he said.

The trends were corroborated by Mikhail Zhizhin, a researcher at the Colorado School of Mines, who pioneered the use of satellite observations to measure flaring. There were some uncertainties and limitations to using satellite data, he said: Clouds could obscure the view, for example, and smaller flares, or ones that are lit only for shorter periods of time, could be missed. And calculating volumes of gas needed to be calibrated for specific oil fields.
Additional flaring occurred at the large refineries and chemical plants that shut down.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
filly

Post by filly »

zekeb wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:07 pm
filly wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:58 pm And nothing will be done about this.
Sure it will. They'll keep working to keep your electric rates low and out of the hands of federal regulators.
I don't think my rates are that low! I know what I pay per kWh here is higher than what I pay in my "Yankee" home. And, needless to say, we use a helluva lot more electricity in Texas. It will be interesting to see if they have the rolling "brownouts" when it gets hot here (that starts in about 3 weeks). God willing I will be up north by then.
filly

Post by filly »

Unfreakingbelievable! I am GTFO of this damned State tomorrow and I may never return.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I normally get paper grocery bags with handles at my favorite grocery store. Ever since the Texas storms, they've only had grocery bags without handles. They have signs at the checkout lanes saying that the Texas storms affected the supply of adhesives available for grocery bags and that, for the time being, only handle-less bags are available.

I just thought that was an odd outcome of the storms.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

That might explain why the handles keep breaking on the ones I get from.my store.
filly

Post by filly »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:37 pm I normally get paper grocery bags with handles at my favorite grocery store. Ever since the Texas storms, they've only had grocery bags without handles. They have signs at the checkout lanes saying that the Texas storms affected the supply of adhesives available for grocery bags and that, for the time being, only handle-less bags are available.

I just thought that was an odd outcome of the storms.
Lots of chemical plants here!

So since I posted the latest ERCOT BS, I was in my closet about 30 minutes ago when the electricity went out! It was only out for 5 minutes but Mr. Filly heard some very nasty language from his wife. We are literally GTFO early in the morning.

I was reading an article yesterday about the autocratic GOP legislature moving ahead with Georgia cloned voting restrictions, and the brazen attacks by the Goopers (Dan Patrick, for one) on major companies here like American Airlines who have dared to speak up for democracy. The piece noted that Tesla and Apple are building factories in Austin. Those companies may not give a flip about democracy, but they do need a reliable electrical grid. Maybe Texas won't be considered quite as business friendly as this keeps up.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Texas gov knew of natural gas shortages days before blackout, blamed wind anyway
Official's phone logs offer blow-by-blow account of the disaster as it unfolded.

TIM DE CHANT - 5/21/2021, 4:04 PM

Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s office knew of looming natural gas shortages on February 10, days before a deep freeze plunged much of the state into blackouts, according to documents obtained by E&E News and reviewed by Ars.

Abbott’s office first learned of the likely shortfall in a phone call from then-chair of the Public Utility Commission of Texas DeAnne Walker. In the days leading up to the power outages that began on February 15, Walker and the governor’s office spoke 31 more times.

Walker also spoke with regulators, politicians, and utilities dozens of times about the gas curtailments that threatened the state’s electrical grid. The PUC chair’s diary for the days before the outage shows her schedule dominated by concerns over gas curtailments and the impact they would have on electricity generation. Before and during the disaster, she was on more than 100 phone calls with various agencies and utilities regarding gas shortages.

After the blackouts began, Abbott appeared on Fox News to falsely assert that wind turbines were the driving force behind the outages.

Wind turbines were a factor, but only a small one. Wind in Texas doesn’t produce as much power in the winter, and regulators don’t typically rely on wind turbines to provide significant amounts of power. Instead, regulators anticipated that natural gas and coal power plants would meet demand.

In public, Bill Magness, then-CEO of ERCOT, the state’s electric grid regulator, didn’t seem concerned about the approaching weather. In a virtual meeting on February 9, Magness said, “As those of you in Texas know, we do have a cold front coming this way... Operations has issued an operating condition notice just to make sure everyone is up to speed with their winterization and we’re ready for the several days of pretty frigid temperatures to come our way.” During the two-and-a-half-hour public portion of the meeting, Magness devoted just 40 seconds to the unusual weather.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... nd-anyway/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Texas at ‘Elevated Risk' of Summer Power Shortages, Potential Outages, Regulators Warn
NERC warned that the highest risk of forced power outages in Texas would likely be from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m., the hours when demand typically peaks

https://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/t ... n/2642319/
A report released Wednesday by the authority that regulates electric reliability in North America warns that Texas is at an “elevated risk” of energy shortages and potential power outages this summer.

That warning comes just a little more than three months after the worst energy crisis in Texas history, the February winter storm power outages that left millions of Texans freezing inside their homes, caused more than $100 billion in damage, and contributed to more than 150 deaths.

In its 2021 “Summer Reliability Assessment” the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) said the Texas grid managed by ERCOT should be able to supply enough power under normal expected operating conditions.

But the report cautions that Texas is expected to see above-normal temperatures this summer and a higher risk of drought across much of the state, potentially increasing demand for power and putting more strain on the grid.
I blame Gov. Abbott and the Republicans in the legislature. :mad:

Happily we are safely on Long Island for the summer. :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott Friedman
@ScottNBC5
·
14m
ERCOT also says in its statement - we could hit an all time record level of demand for electricity today. They are asking Texans to conserve power.
@NBCDFW
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:20 pm Texas at ‘Elevated Risk' of Summer Power Shortages, Potential Outages, Regulators Warn
NERC warned that the highest risk of forced power outages in Texas would likely be from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m., the hours when demand typically peaks

https://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/t ... n/2642319/
A report released Wednesday by the authority that regulates electric reliability in North America warns that Texas is at an “elevated risk” of energy shortages and potential power outages this summer.

That warning comes just a little more than three months after the worst energy crisis in Texas history, the February winter storm power outages that left millions of Texans freezing inside their homes, caused more than $100 billion in damage, and contributed to more than 150 deaths.

In its 2021 “Summer Reliability Assessment” the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) said the Texas grid managed by ERCOT should be able to supply enough power under normal expected operating conditions.

But the report cautions that Texas is expected to see above-normal temperatures this summer and a higher risk of drought across much of the state, potentially increasing demand for power and putting more strain on the grid.
I blame Gov. Abbott and the Republicans in the legislature. :mad:

Happily we are safely on Long Island for the summer. :biggrin:
Texas, where you'll freeze your rumpe off in the winter
Il factotum
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Newschannel 6
@Newschannel6Now
·
5m
They are asking people to conserve electricity through Friday, June 18.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Diana Zoga
@DianaNBC5
ERCOT asking Texans to conserve electricity.
From ERCOT:
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher
- Turn off lights/pool pumps and avoid using large appliances
- Turn off/unplug devices you're not using
https://nbcdfw.com/news/local/ercot-iss ... /2656613/-
filly

Post by filly »

THe feels like temperature is currently 109 in Dallas and 104 in Houston. I am way up north where it is 66 degrees and in a State with a functional electric grid. Run by an evil Democratic female Governor.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:25 pm Newschannel 6
@Newschannel6Now
·
5m
Must be the solar panels.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:25 pm Newschannel 6
@Newschannel6Now
·
5m
Why only through June 18? Shouldn’t people with an unstable electric grid conserve power all the time? What happens on June 19th when everyone says, “Crisis averted!” and turns on all their power hogs at the same time?
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

By the 18th generating capacity currently offline is expected to be online again.

ERCOT has asked people not to use dishwashers, washing machine, dryers, pool pumps and other appliances that use a lot of electricity. After a few days dishes and laundry will pile up and pools will begin to turn green.

The current record high temperatures should cool a bit by the weekend.

Texas needs to spend more money on electricity infrastructure.
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

Dishwashers use less water than hand washing the dishes. Perhaps ERCOT thinks people hand wash their dishes in cold water.
Il factotum
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

zekeb wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:41 pm Dishwashers use less water than hand washing the dishes. Perhaps ERCOT thinks people hand wash their dishes in cold water.
It's not the water they are trying to conserve. My dishwasher cycle is over an hour long according to my husband. We have a gas water heater.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

In related news, home generator sales are up in Texas.

www.ijustmadethatupbutibetimright.com
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:45 pm By the 18th generating capacity currently offline is expected to be online again.

ERCOT has asked people not to use dishwashers, washing machine, dryers, pool pumps and other appliances that use a lot of electricity. After a few days dishes and laundry will pile up and pools will begin to turn green.

The current record high temperatures should cool a bit by the weekend.

Texas needs to spend more money on electricity infrastructure.
OMG, do you mean Regulations?

No. No. What you need to do is get Andy Fastow and Jeff Skilling on this, stat!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

KHOU 11 News Houston
@KHOU
·
18m
@ERCOT_ISO
says an all-time record for power usage in Texas during the month of June was set yesterday.
@MattKHOU
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

If they overwhelm the power grid and take it down again, more people will die than last February. Heat is a killer without air conditioning or even fans.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

FiveAcres wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:02 am If they overwhelm the power grid and take it down again, more people will die than last February. Heat is a killer without air conditioning or even fans.
But they'll die with their boots on. They'd rather die than accept good advice help from anyone.
Il factotum
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

If things get worse ERCOT will resort to rolling blackouts and disconnecting large industrial users.

Return to “Current Politics”