Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Texas Big Freeze Aftermath

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Texas Big Freeze Aftermath

Post by raison de arizona »

He should be asking for donations to pay for an electrical infrastructure that can withstand both heat and cold.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

covfefe wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:50 pm He should be asking for donations to pay for an electrical infrastructure that can withstand both heat and cold.
Yes indeed but his base is more afraid of Mexicans than of power outages.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

All they need is more guns to fix the power issues. Guns
fix everything. Texas should know that.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The electric power issue might soon threaten the growth of industry in Texas. Companies want reliable power 24/7/52.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

covfefe wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:50 pm He should be asking for donations to pay for an electrical infrastructure that can withstand both heat and cold.
Can't wait until he tried to build his public funded wall on federal land...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:05 pm If things get worse ERCOT will resort to rolling blackouts and disconnecting large industrial users.
The chip shortage in the auto industry I think is related to the Samsung plant. Closing it again would set off a cascading shortage that will result in hundreds of thousands of people being out of work for short periods of time. The Motorcar Company has had plants taking weeks off here and there all year and last week virtually all of our production stopped.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Gregg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:06 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:05 pm If things get worse ERCOT will resort to rolling blackouts and disconnecting large industrial users.
The chip shortage in the auto industry I think is related to the Samsung plant. Closing it again would set off a cascading shortage that will result in hundreds of thousands of people being out of work for short periods of time. The Motorcar Company has had plants taking weeks off here and there all year and last week virtually all of our production stopped.
/rant
Off Topic
In my search to help the chili pup secure reliable transportation, I noticed that a local dealership was listing a $4000 surcharge OVER MSRP as "market adjustment" on a new motorcar with the same name as the Denver football team. On the BASE MODEL!
/Rant off
raison de arizona

BETO BETO BETO BETO BETO BETO BETO BETO BETO
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

Yeah, what's a thousand broiled to death Texans anyway?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

filly wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:16 pm
Yeah, what's a thousand broiled to death Texans anyway?

I wasn't downplaying that tragedy. Merely pointing out that the idiots in Texas are affecting a whole lot of people who aren't in Texas and impacting the economy far beyond their own.

Its terrible that people are going to die because they don't want to co operate with anyone else if it means they have to follow rules and even worse that it'll be, as always, the poor, black and brown people who bear the brunt of it.

filly

Post by filly »

Just noting a knee jerk reaction, probably not exclusive to you, that considers money before human lives. After a year and a half of Covid and 600,000 dead Americans we should never put the almighty buck over human lives bed. Ymmv.
Wanderinglord

Post by Wanderinglord »

3315B908-8569-44F1-BBAC-2E3300585081.jpeg
3315B908-8569-44F1-BBAC-2E3300585081.jpeg (242.89 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
Knowledge is power, power corrupts. Study hard be evil.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Older houses had high ceilings. More windows. Upper windows that let the heat rise and escape. Not to mention that window fans were commonly used. You don't find that anymore. A/C is a must in the warmer climates now.
Il factotum
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

zekeb wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:19 am Older houses had high ceilings. More windows. Upper windows that let the heat rise and escape. Not to mention that window fans were commonly used. You don't find that anymore. A/C is a must in the warmer climates now.
We made a lot of changes to the house we just moved out of (closing is today!) that were designed to manage air flow. It was a four story townhouse, and nothing stopped the air from moving from the ground floor all the way to the top. So the top floor was unbearably hot in the summer, and the ground floor was unbearably cold in the winter. We added walls and pocket doors, and put in a zoned AC system. Everybody loves these open floor plans, then complains about the electric bill.

Our new house is open, and the AC system isn’t sized properly. Fortunately for us, our son and son-in-law both work for HVAC companies, and they’re working on a plan.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

We are in Colorado, which is also under the heat dome. We have air conditioning, but don't like to set it too low. So this morning, since I was up way too early this morning, I opened up the house so the outside air (which was cooler than the inside air) could come inside. I also left the garage doors open for a while. An insulated garage means it doesn't cool off overnight.

I walked before the sun was up, watered the potted plants, and took the garbage bin to the street. I have to clean the dog run, and then I shouldn't have to leave the house again today. I have had a lot of errands to run this week, and even in an air conditioned car I feel as though I have struggled with overheating. I may have breakfast and go back to bed for a nap.

Yesterday, we had electricians in to swap our two large ceiling fans, and install a new one in my craft room / office. Getting electricians to come do a relatively small job feels like a win since the building boom means they can make lots of money in new construction. Our realtor friend found the electrician referral for us and they were awesome.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Texas.png
Texas.png (393.15 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

He should ask the Mexicans to pay for it. Either one. Both. But Mexico is gonna pay for it.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tells Chris Wallace that power grid problems in Texas are mainly a paperwork issue that has already been solved by the legislature (there were over 1,000 unplanned outages in Texas last month)
raison de arizona

A simple paperwork error resulted in the deaths of 150 people? Resign.

And bullshit.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Kendra wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:02 pm
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tells Chris Wallace that power grid problems in Texas are mainly a paperwork issue that has already been solved by the legislature (there were over 1,000 unplanned outages in Texas last month)
IOW, ignore real world problems, and go after GOP unicorns.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

So rather than file the paperwork...I guess they crumpled it up and stuffed it in the gas lines to clog them up :shrug:

The GQP isn't even trying with their lies anymore... :bored:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

They couldn't do the paperwork because there were blackouts and the batteries on their laptops died.

Phucking pigs. Not a bit sorry for saying so.

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona

Why Is Texas On Its Own Electric Grid?
Fact check: Why does Texas have its own power grid?
Opinion: Texas must consider partially joining the national electric grid
Gene Wu @GeneforTexas wrote: But, whatever.

As long as Abbott's mega donors make bank, nothing else matters.

Return to “Current Politics”