Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Save the US Postal Service

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Re: Save the US Postal Service

Post by zekeb »

Give poorer customer service. That's the key to running any successful business. Where do they get these managers from? They might wish to look at how other successful countries run their mail services. I've heard the UK does a fine job. Oh wait, we can't learn from anyone else. We do everything the bestest. (snark to Melania) Just look at our healthcare system.
Il factotum
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

And this is why "going postal" is a real thing.
March 30, 2021, 3:33 am
Arrived at Post Office
STARKVILLE, MS 39759
Your item arrived at the Post Office at 3:33 am on March 30, 2021 in STARKVILLE, MS 39759.

March 29, 2021, 8:48 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
JACKSON, MS 39206

March 29, 2021, 8:19 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
JACKSON, MS 39213

March 29, 2021, 7:54 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
JACKSON, MS 39206

March 29, 2021, 7:33 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
JACKSON MS DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 29, 2021, 4:54 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

March 29, 2021, 3:39 am
Accepted at USPS Regional Destination Facility
I could literally see the back of the 39206 post office if I stood on my roof, so they finally get it to my post office (3/ 29, 7:54 am) and then promptly send it to a different zip code that is south and west of us (3/29, 8:19 am) , then back to my zip code (3/29, 8:48 am), then to fucking STARKVILLE (3/30, 3:33 am), which is a 3 hour drive from here. It's 2 books, shipped on 3/23.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sadly we can't blame all the USPS delays on Trump.

Even before Trump sometimes when we were on the North Fork our Premium Forwarding shipments from TX sometimes bounced all over the USA before finding our little NF hamlet. :( Sometimes overworked human sorters in the main sorting center in Houston would mistake the return address for the send to address and send it back to our local TX USPS. :o
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:18 pm Sadly we can't blame all the USPS delays on Trump.

Even before Trump sometimes when we were on the North Fork our Premium Forwarding shipments from TX sometimes bounced all over the USA before finding our little NF hamlet. :( Sometimes overworked human sorters in the main sorting center in Houston would mistake the return address for the send to address and send it back to our local TX USPS. :o
I can understand reversing the addresses. What I can't understand is why it came to my local delivery location TWICE before being shipped off to some random post office that has nothing to do with anything.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:30 am And this is why "going postal" is a real thing.
March 30, 2021, 3:33 am
Arrived at Post Office
STARKVILLE, MS 39759
Your item arrived at the Post Office at 3:33 am on March 30, 2021 in STARKVILLE, MS 39759.

March 29, 2021, 8:48 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
JACKSON, MS 39206

March 29, 2021, 8:19 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
JACKSON, MS 39213

March 29, 2021, 7:54 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
JACKSON, MS 39206

March 29, 2021, 7:33 am

March 29, 2021, 4:54 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

March 29, 2021, 3:39 am
Accepted at USPS Regional Destination Facility
I could literally see the back of the 39206 post office if I stood on my roof, so they finally get it to my post office (3/ 29, 7:54 am) and then promptly send it to a different zip code that is south and west of us (3/29, 8:19 am) , then back to my zip code (3/29, 8:48 am), then to fucking STARKVILLE (3/30, 3:33 am), which is a 3 hour drive from here. It's 2 books, shipped on 3/23.
It reminds me of when I tracked a package that was shipped to me in Oregon from someplace in NJ several years ago. It went from the NJ post office to a NY post office. It then went from NY to Portland and back to NY and back to Portland and back to NY and back to Portland. About halfway through this SNAFU I stopped at the post office in Salem, Oregon to find out what was going on. Despite me giving them the tracking number, they told me there was no way they could intercept this package. The package arrived four days later after making it back to Portland one more time and then on to my local post office. Don't the tracking computers have any sense to figure out that something is stuck in a loop?
Il factotum
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

It is mucked. No, it's not all DeJoy, although he is an infestation and needs to go -HARD.. gtfo

Creepy dude.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Is this an improvement? :?
12121.jpg
12121.jpg (76.32 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

I received that, too. Better service costs money, you know.
Il factotum
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I like the Informed Delivery app, but I mostly rely on the morning email from USPS for an update.

I do have USPS Mobile app which includes Informed Delivery along with other choices such as Track, Buy Stamps, Prices, ZIP Codes, etc. My biggest problem with the USPS Mobile app is that it's designed for an iPhone and doesn't scale to my iPad, it just makes the iPhone display large on an iPad. It also forces me to re-log in to Informed Delivery each time.
tek

Post by tek »

I also use the informed delivery email, and if I need to do other things I use usps.com

I really really try to avoid installing an app on my phone for every little thing. I'm kinda pissed at the things that require an app where a website would do as well. And get off my lawn!
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

tek wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:45 pm I also use the informed delivery email, and if I need to do other things I use usps.com

I really really try to avoid installing an app on my phone for every little thing. I'm kinda pissed at the things that require an app where a website would do as well. And get off my lawn!
Even better—apps that take you to the website for much of their functionality.
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

tek wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:45 pm I also use the informed delivery email, and if I need to do other things I use usps.com

I don't like having to babysit at my computer when I have an incoming package. My mail goes to a community box and I like to know when something has been delivered without my having to go to my computer every ten minutes to check. Also too, I can be roaming around town and get a notice on my phone. This makes it easy. I just stop by the box on my way home. Sometimes my mail comes at 9:30 AM and sometimes it comes as late as 2:30 PM.
Il factotum
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:22 pm
I do have USPS Mobile app which includes Informed Delivery along with other choices such as Track, Buy Stamps, Prices, ZIP Codes, etc. My biggest problem with the USPS Mobile app is that it's designed for an iPhone and doesn't scale to my iPad, it just makes the iPhone display large on an iPad. It also forces me to re-log in to Informed Delivery each time.
I suspect that’s a security feature, not a bug.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... -nominees/
President Biden’s three nominees to the U.S. Postal Service’s governing board could fundamentally tilt the balance of power at the beleaguered mail agency and add pressure on Postmaster General Louis DeJoy.

If they win Senate confirmation, the nominees — Democrats Ron Stroman and Anton Hajjar, and independent Amber McReynolds — would serve on a board that historically operates by consensus, delivering decisions with unanimity and through scripted public meetings. They also would give Democrats and Biden appointees a one-seat majority and potentially the votes to remove DeJoy, under whose oversight the mail service has recorded sharp declines in mail delivery standards. But the board’s two sitting Democrats, Chairman Ron Bloom and Donald Lee Moak, have publicly supported the postmaster general.

Political divisions among board members — and between the board and Democrats in Congress — have quietly percolated since former president Donald Trump tried to meddle in mail operations by leveraging the Postal Service’s finances, then hamper the agency’s ability to send and collect mail ballots.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I have a friend dying in the hospital in Los Angeles. I mailed him a quilt last Tuesday for 3 day delivery. It took 7 days to arrive in Memphis, which is a 3 hour drive from here. It sat in Memphis for a day and a half. My friend will be dead before it gets to him.

May 13, 2021
In Transit, Arriving Late
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
May 12, 2021, 12:06 pm
MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 11, 2021, 9:09 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 4, 2021, 11:01 am
USPS in possession of item
JACKSON, MS 39206

Fuck the postal service.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:08 pm I have a friend dying in the hospital in Los Angeles. I mailed him a quilt last Tuesday for 3 day delivery. It took 7 days to arrive in Memphis, which is a 3 hour drive from here. It sat in Memphis for a day and a half. My friend will be dead before it gets to him.
Fuck the postal service.
I'm so sorry. Hopefully your friend will get it in time. :pray:

This is information too late here. Years ago, I needed to move something to someone NOW -- many of the major airlines have parcel delivery (door-to-door) --it costs, of course, but will get there same-day.
Liz

Post by Liz »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:08 pm
Fuck the postal service.
"Save the US Postal Service" needs a name change.
Piss and Moan about the US Postal Service is all I've been seeing
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... ke-stamps/
The U.S. Postal Service is raising rates on letters, magazines and marketing missives as much as 6.9 percent this summer, sending the cost of a first-class stamp from 55 to 58 cents, as it leans into an expansive restructuring plan that codifies slower mail delivery and streamlines agency operations.

The rate structure announced Friday is the latest installment of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy’s plan to erase a projected $160 billon in liabilities over the next decade. The agency has struggled for the better part of a year with inconsistent delivery service and soaring package volumes that have gridlocked its processing network. The Postal Service’s on-time delivery scores have not topped 90 percent since July 2020.

DeJoy’s 10-year “Delivering for America” plan, announced in March, calls for longer delivery windows, shorter post office hours and fewer staff.
Edited to add:
Also Friday, the agency sent out “reduction in force,” or layoff, notices to hundreds of management-level employees. An agency spokesman could not say how many workers were involved.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

DeJoy: "Pay more, get less!"

How GOP.
tek

Post by tek »

On reflection, there is more to my flip answer above.

I get paid a fair amount consulting with various and sundry companies, and most of my time is spent saying "but what is the problem we're trying to solve?" .. which often devolves to "why are we here?"

DeJoy clearly sees the 'problem' as "stop losing so much money"

The problem is probably more like "how can we most cost-effectively deliver the services our customers expect and need, and how can we put funding in place to support that into the future."
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

DeJoy is stuck in 1950s thinking. Providing better service that leads to more business and profits hasn't struck a chord with him.
Il factotum
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The simplest fix, and one that will never be applied because....GOP, is stop the stupid 70-years-into-the-future pension plan the USPS has to fund.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

Biden is said to nominate three to USPS board of governors

President Biden will nominate a former U.S. Postal Service executive, a leading voting rights advocate and a former postal union leader to the mail service’s governing board, according to three people briefed on the nominees, a move that will reshape the agency’s leadership and increase pressure on the embattled postmaster general.

Biden will nominate Ron Stroman, the Postal Service’s recently retired deputy postmaster general; Amber McReynolds, the chief executive of National Vote at Home Institute; and Anton Hajjar, the former general counsel of the American Postal Workers Union, said the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal policy.

If confirmed, the nominees would give Democrats a majority on the nine-member board of governors, with potentially enough votes to oust DeJoy, who testified Wednesday before a House panel that his new strategic plan for the mail service included slowing deliveries.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... BL2ZQAFVO4

The above was a posted update today at 10 am.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybe they'll figure out eventually that if they deliver quickly and on time, people would flock back to them. Or not.
When it takes 13 days for a 3 day delivery package you paid a lot extra for and when inquiring about a fucking refund you get the response "that is an average time we strive for, not a guaranteed time" people may never return.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I pay almost everything online, usually with auto-payment. In many cases, I'm not 100% having it come out of the checking account, so have it come out of the credit card (same bank), so if there's *issues* it's easier to contest/dispute. I have the electric bill and the HOA dues auto pay out of the checking account, so I don't have to remember to make the payment. I can schedule through bill pay on the checking account to pay things like property taxes (there's a spot for account #) and no problems getting it posted correctly unless I schedule it too late and I actually have to write the check to make the payment deadline.

LOL, I am so unused to writing checks that it took several shots at making it right when I had to purchase a new vehicle recently ... :bag: :batting: :oopsy:

Return to “Current Politics”