Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Save the US Postal Service

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Re: Save the US Postal Service

Post by zekeb »

They aren't all perfect. I have a package coming via FEDEX. It was scheduled for yesterday, changed to today and now this morning, rescheduled for Monday. Can I lay odds on them finding a reason to avoid delivering it on a holiday?
Il factotum
Lani

Post by Lani »

zekeb wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:12 am They aren't all perfect. I have a package coming via FEDEX. It was scheduled for yesterday, changed to today and now this morning, rescheduled for Monday. Can I lay odds on them finding a reason to avoid delivering it on a holiday?
I've had problems with delayed UPS packages. It's not just USPS.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:12 am They aren't all perfect. I have a package coming via FEDEX. It was scheduled for yesterday, changed to today and now this morning, rescheduled for Monday. Can I lay odds on them finding a reason to avoid delivering it on a holiday?
You will probably get it. I think most of these shipping services have adjusted to the times. Several years ago, I first saw a USPS truck in my neighborhood on a Sunday! making a parcel delivery. :shock:

ETA: But I also think you live in the boondocks of Iowa, so that doesn't help.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Because our North Fork home is not eligible for home mail delivery we get a post office box for free.

We did not go to the North Fork last year and so missed getting the form to renew our box. When we went in to renew it this year we found that while the same box was available there was a computer system problem that prevented our getting that box again. In fact there seemed to be a problem getting any box.

We left the postal persons work on if for a few days. Called them yesterday and they asked us to come in at 10 AM this morning which I did. One of them worked the front counter computer and another of them worked a computer in the back. They communicated by shouting.

Eventually they got us signed up for a different box. They then said they would switch boxes while canceling the normal $30 change fee. Later they called to tell me that everything was done successfully.

They say they have 10 other local customers with this problem which is affecting post offices across the country.

I was happy to deal with this problem with a tiny post office staffed by folks we have known for years.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2021/05/ ... of-august/

In August USPS will raise the cost of First Class & Media mail while also slowing delivery.

Additionally, USPS sent out “reduction in force,” or layoff, notices to hundreds of management-level employees.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
The FBI is investigating Postmaster General Louis DeJoy in connection with campaign fundraising activity involving his former business, according to people familiar with the matter and a spokesman for DeJoy.

FBI agents in recent weeks interviewed current and former employees of DeJoy and the business, asking questions about political contributions and company activities, these people said. Prosecutors also issued a subpoena to DeJoy himself for information, one of the people said.

That person, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe an ongoing and politically sensitive investigation.

Mark Corallo, a DeJoy spokesman, confirmed the investigation in a statement but insisted DeJoy had not knowingly violated any laws.

“Mr. DeJoy has learned that the Department of Justice is investigating campaign contributions made by employees who worked for him when he was in the private sector,” Corallo said. “He has always been scrupulous in his adherence to the campaign contribution laws and has never knowingly violated them.”
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

“Knowingly.”

Insert Inigo Montoya GIF here.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
filly

Post by filly »

Also note: the statute of limitations has run on many of these "incidents."
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

He probably thinks that the phrase "not knowingly" means that (hopefully) no one knew about it.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

If he thought it was legal, he would have just directly donated the money instead of having his employees donate then give them a bonus that included an extra amount to offset their donation. Yeah, he didn't know.... :brickwallsmall:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yeah, the wishy washy, Gee, I didn't KNOW bullshit isn't flying. I realize I'm counting chickens before they're hatched, but this seems pretty damning.

Can the Board fire him now, please?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
filly

Post by filly »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:40 am Yeah, the wishy washy, Gee, I didn't KNOW bullshit isn't flying. I realize I'm counting chickens before they're hatched, but this seems pretty damning.

Not yet. The Dems need one more seat on the board. I expect the cowardly GOP Senate will delay and obstruct that for as long as they can.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

filly wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:40 am Yeah, the wishy washy, Gee, I didn't KNOW bullshit isn't flying. I realize I'm counting chickens before they're hatched, but this seems pretty damning.

Not yet. The Dems need one more seat on the board. I expect the cowardly GOP Senate will delay and obstruct that for as long as they can.
IIRC that one seat is still one year off or a regular renewal. One can hope that nature steps in :silenced:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

filly wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 am

Nope. All 3 of Biden's nominees were confirmed, so it's 5 Ds and 4 Rs.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... 40bb27b93d
Lawmakers on Friday approved the nomination of Anton Hajjar, former general counsel of the American Postal Workers Union. Ron Stroman, a former deputy postmaster general, and Amber McReynolds, who leads the nonprofit National Vote at Home Institute, were approved earlier this month.

The additions mean that five of the board’s nine members are Democratic appointees.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

If I recall correctly didn't a few Dem members of that board ask that DeJoy not ben canned [why they would ask that I have no clue].
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
filly

Post by filly »

Thanks sugar! That happened last week, I missed it. They need to move on this. Having a criminal, unindicted or not, as Postmaster General is a national scandal.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:22 pm If I recall correctly didn't a few Dem members of that board ask that DeJoy not ben canned [why they would ask that I have no clue].
I remember something about him having their support. Hopefully, this breaks that up.
Lani

Post by Lani »

DeJoy needs to go immediately. In less than 2 months, the cost of First Class & Media mail goes up while also slowing delivery. And layoff a lot of USPS personnel.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Attorney General of Pennsylvania
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

DeJoy is making EVERYTHING better! He says so. Even made a video about it! Faster delivery! Thousands of new employees! (yeah, right...)

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2021/07/ ... son-ahead/
Video at above link. I didn't watch it.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Lani wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:03 am DeJoy is making EVERYTHING better! He says so. Even made a video about it! Faster delivery! Thousands of new employees! (yeah, right...)

Summary: IT WASN’T MY FAULT!
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Liz

Post by Liz »

Lani wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:03 am DeJoy is making EVERYTHING better! He says so. Even made a video about it! Faster delivery! Thousands of new employees! (yeah, right...)

I didn't watch it either... Thousands of new employees.. whose pensions have to be funded by that crazy rule.. more harm by the effort to privatize.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Liz wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:56 am

I didn't watch it either... Thousands of new employees.. whose pensions have to be funded by that crazy rule.. more harm by the effort to privatize.
Anyone may correct me, but my understanding is many/most/all of the newer Postal employees are not in the same program that has that pension plan.
bbflatt

Post by bbflatt »

Postal workers hired since 19987 are covered under the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) as opposed to the former Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS). Under FERS they will receive a (somewhat reduced) annuity but they also get a 401(k) style plan (the TSP) with up to a 5% govt match, and they participate in Social Security, including paying FICA taxes.

Since they do receive an annuity, there is probably still a requirement that the Postal Service accrue a liability for future benefits earned.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

bbflatt wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:47 am Postal workers hired since 19987 are covered :snippity:
Good to know the USPS is still going in the 20th millennium of mankind... :lol:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “Current Politics”