Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Gay Marriage / LGBTQ Rights / Equality Act

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Gay Marriage / LGBTQ Rights / Equality Act

Post by neonzx »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/316 ... ounces-gay
Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib on Monday became the first active NFL player to come out as gay. Nassib, 28, made the announcement in an Instagram post.

“What’s up people?” Nassib posted. “I’m at my house here in West Chester, Pennsylvania. I just want to take a quick moment to say that I’m gay. I’ve been meaning to do this for a while now, but I finally feel comfortable enough to get it off my chest. I really have the best life, I’ve got the best family, friends and job a guy could ask for.

“I actually hope that like one day, videos like this and the whole coming-out process are just not necessary. But until then, I’m going to do my best and do my part to cultivate a culture that’s accepting, that’s compassionate and I’m going to start by donating $100,000 to the Trevor Project.”

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Mike Florio and Chris Simms discuss Carl and the rest of the NFL:

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

This is neat, Calib's jersey is the top seller since he came out:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bunny: :mbounce: :groupdance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Georgia boy who had ‘gay’ shaved into head by family placed in protective custody
Police removed the boy, who was filmed being slapped and punched for "doing gay s**t"

https://www.metroweekly.com/2021/06/geo ... e-custody/
Video of the 12-year-old youth being berated by his family went viral on social media earlier this month. In the video, the boy — identified only as Tyler — is surrounded by family members, who call him a “gay ass bitch” and accuse him of “doing gay shit.”

The video zooms in on the boy’s head, showing “GAY” has been shaved into his hair. A man in the video is also shown slapping and punching the boy.

The video was uploaded to Instagram Live on June 17 by the boy’s mother, where it caused outcry and demands for police intervention.

The City of Atlanta Police Department last week confirmed its Special Victim’s Unit had launched an investigation to identify the boy, as well as those in the video with him.

APD called the video “difficult to watch” and the behavior of the adults “absolutely unacceptable.”

“Investigators were able to find the incident location and identify the juvenile and he was placed in the care of the Georgia Division of Family & Children Services (DFCS) on the evening of 6/18/2021,” APD said in a statement. “At this time, we are working closely with DFCS and the investigation continues.” :snippity:
:mad2: :smokeears:
► Show Spoiler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Did Mom post the video as a way to get help or because she endorsed the abuse?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:22 pm Did Mom post the video as a way to get help or because she endorsed the abuse?
I don't know what she was doing. Was she present on the porch? Did she record the video or obtain it later?

Instagram is not the place to seek help, if that was the intent. 911 should have been the action.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Instagram is not the place to seek help, if that was the intent. 911 should have been the action.
I agree, unless she is also being abused and this was her cry for help.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The mother was a participant in the abuse. People assholes who do this are proud of "beating/shaming the gay" out of their victims; posting to Instagram was a brag, a tutorial, or a combination of the two.

People who do this aren't just vile bigots, they tend to be incredibly stupid, self righteous, and absolutely convinced of their own moral & intellectual superiority.
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer

Thanks, Estiveo*. I couldn't watch the entire video.

*Per my autocorrect, your name is "Festive."
bob

Post by bob »

SCOTUS wrapped up this term's business today. Laity's petition didn't make the cut, but there's this:
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Dozens arrested in Los Angeles as anti-trans protest outside spa turns violent
Wi Spa, a Koreatown business with a trans-inclusive policy, has become the target of a rightwing media storm

Lois Beckett and Sam Levin in Los Angeles
Sun 18 Jul 2021 03.52 BST

Dozens of people have been arrested in Los Angeles following a chaotic and at times violent demonstration by anti-transgender protesters who targeted a Koreatown spa that has a trans-inclusive policy allowing trans women to use women’s facilities.

Saturday marked the second weekend of violent protests this month in the streets around Wi Spa, a neighborhood business that has found itself at the heart of a right-wing media storm over an alleged incident in which a customer filmed herself complaining about a trans woman in the women’s area of the spa.

The far-right protesters called for a boycott of Wi Spa and chanted baseless claims about paedophilia, as women carrying signs reading “protect female spaces” and “It’s worse in women’s shelters” marched alongside men wearing helmets and masks that covered their faces.

Calls to defend “female spaces” and “women’s shelters” have become rallying cries of anti-trans groups, who have falsely suggested that trans-inclusive policies endanger cis women. California has for years had laws in place that allow trans people to use facilities that match their gender.

The chants and signs in Los Angeles on Saturday highlighted the convergence of anti-trans activism with other strains of far-right activism. Many demonstrators chanted “Save our children,” a slogan taken up by QAnon conspiracy theorists, whose ideology is centered on an elaborate narrative about a cabal of influential paedophiles. Other demonstrators wore shirts pledging to murder leftwing activists, with reference to rightwing death squads in Chile in the 1970s. According to multiple protesters, Arthur Schaper, the leader of the California chapter of an anti-LGBT hate group, arrived early to the protest outside Wi Spa and took refuge behind a line of police officers as trans rights protesters heckled him.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ns-violent
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Charges filed over disturbing social media post showing juvenile beaten
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/charge ... g-juvenile
ATLANTA - Police said they have arrested three people almost a month after a disturbing social media post was brought to investigator’s attention.

Jordan Jarrode Richards-Nwankwo, 18, Lorkeyla Jamia Spencer, 19, and Brittney Monique Mills, 35, were all charged with cruelty to children. Richards-Nwankwo faces an additional charge of battery.

"We’re very pleased with these arrests but we are pleased with feedback that we got from members of the community assisting in this and how quickly they were able to jump on it," said Sgt. John Chafee, Atlanta Police Department.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock: wait thru two thirds of this coming out story ;)

The lion was raised from young age by Kevin Richardson. The sister lion died about a year ago.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

This

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Last night in the Scotty documentary (talked about in the Big Gay topic), a reference was made to a 1967 CBS Reports documentary called "The Homosexuals". Hadn't heard of it. It's hosted by Mike Wallace. For younger viewers, it's a real window into what so many grew up with and feared. It's also ignorant af. Looking back at something like this, hosted by a top interviewer on "the Tiffany network", it shows the incredible changes that have happened in America.

CBS News did a story on it in 2015:
A look at CBS News' 1967 documentary: "The homosexuals"
BY STEVE HARTMAN JUNE 26, 2015 / 7:12 PM / CBS NEWS

NEW YORK -- It's been nearly 50 years since CBS News first took on the subject of gay rights. It was in a documentary. You'll recognize the host, Mike Wallace, but you won't recognize your country. "Most Americans are repelled by the mere notion of homosexuality," reported Wallace in the documentary. "A CBS poll shows two out of three Americans look on homosexuality with disgust, discomfort, or fear."

The year was 1967 and whoever named the program cut straight to the chase: "CBS Reports: The Homesexuals." The show was so controversial -- not one sponsor would touch it. In fact, the very notion of gay rights was brand new. "I'm a country boy, I guess, because I couldn't believe this," said one man, interviewed in front of a a group of protesters holding signs in support of gay rights. "I didn't know this was a problem over here or at least I didn't think anybody would have a sign out about it."

But for me, the most telling part of the program was a bizarre interview with a man shrouded by a houseplant. "I don't go looking for homosexual relationships," said the man. Apparently, back then, just admitting you were gay required some fairly dense foliage. Now, of course, gay couples can show their love without so much as a ficus, on the steps of city hall, with every network watching.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-far-we ... cumentary/

Here's the program:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:25 pm Last night in the Scotty documentary (talked about in the Big Gay topic), a reference was made to a 1967 CBS Reports documentary called "The Homosexuals". Hadn't heard of it. It's hosted by Mike Wallace. For younger viewers, it's a real window into what so many grew up with and feared. It's also ignorant af. Looking back at something like this, hosted by a top interviewer on "the Tiffany network", it shows the incredible changes that have happened in America.
One glaring thing about this documentary -- apparently no lesbians existed in 1967. :shock: :lol: But this shouldn't surprise me -- anti-gays have always targeted gay men.

Yes, we've come a long way, but the work is not completely done.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

neonzx wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:11 am One glaring thing about this documentary -- apparently no lesbians existed in 1967. :shock: :lol: But this shouldn't surprise me -- anti-gays have always targeted gay men.

Yes, we've come a long way, but the work is not completely done.
Hate against lesbians only really took off when women started getting more financial independence. Guys didn't really care what women were into if they were dependent on husbands and could not easily say 'no' to hetrosexually. But once you had the 'political lesbianism' and women that could afford to not date or marry men anyway, then it blew up.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

No, no, neonzx is right, there were no lesbians in 1967. :biggrin: I was 14 then, and I had never even heard of lesbians, so it must be true. There were no lesbians in my 9th grade class, or in any grade of school I ever attended in my white suburban enclaves, before graduating high school and going out into the world.

I didn't go to college for years afterwards. I left home the day after high school, got in my 1968 VW bus and drove off to San Francisco to be a hippy for the rest of my life.

THERE I discovered lesbians. Before that, they didn't exist. :batting:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Hadn't seen this... grateful to all the Fogbowzers. Tom Daley talks about what we've discussed here often, hearts and minds. 🤎💙💚🤍💜

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Luke

Post by Luke »

:thumbsup:

CBS News @CBSNews 1h
U.S. expands citizenship eligibility for children of same-sex couples born overseas

Tiredretiredlawyer

:winner:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

:clap: Finally. But that will be undone when Trump is back in office this month. 8-)
Tiredretiredlawyer

Oops! I forgot about the Ides of August. :roll:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Bless her heart.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/8 ... ob-over-it
Teacher displays white woman tears while resigning from job over new trans-inclusive policy

While advocates are taking steps to make school a safer, more inclusive space for some of the most vulnerable students, one teacher has gone viral for her dramatic announcement that she’s quitting her job. Why? In her words, because she refuses to “push highly politicized agendas” onto students. What are those “agendas”? If you guessed using the correct names and pronouns for trans youth, you guessed right.

“School board, I quit,” elementary school teacher Laura Morris announced, adding that she quit the school’s policies, trainings, and “quit being a cog in a machine that tells me to push highly politicized agendas on our most vulnerable constituents … The children.” Morris was speaking in reference to a trans-inclusive policy recently adopted by the Loudoun County School Board in Loudoun County, Virginia, that is in accordance with the state’s new guidance for the department of education to develop policies for model language for trans students.

“I was told, in one of my so-called equity trainings, that white, Christian, able-bodied females currently have the power in our school and that, quote, ‘This has to change,'” Morris, who says she has been an educator for 10 years, five of which were in the Loudoun district, said at the Aug. 10 meeting. She said she “struggled” with the decision to return to work at a district that offered a “flashy” salary but “promotes political ideologies that do not square with who I am as a believer and Christian.”

“You’ve made your point,” she continued. “You no longer value me, or many other teachers you’ve employed in this county. So since my contract outlines the power that you have over my employment in Loudon County Public Schools, I thought it necessary to resign in front of you.” She then encouraged all parents to “flood” private schools and noted she will find work elsewhere.

Return to “Current Politics”