Social Justice Symposium

Chilidog

Social Justice Symposium

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:39 am

Once per term, at the college my son attends, they hold a campus wide symposium day with speakers and events devoted to various topics.

the theme for the upcoming winter symposium is “Social Justice”

The official school web page with the details of the various events

Kind of cool, right?

Well apparently not to all. The school has a Facebook group for parents. One set of parents created and posted the following image on the group page with the caption "what your tens of thousands of dollars bring to your students education....."
► Show Spoiler
While the image is accurate in terms of the titles, it leaves out all the information associated with the various events, and it misrepresents the attendance requirements.

The vast majority of the responses from the other parents supported the school and called out the complainers.

I found the following post from the one of the complainers to be rather amusing.
Not in my opinion. This is not what I sent my daughter off to be brain washed about. I sent her off to learn writing and business skills. Actual skills that will help her be successful in her work life. Being in corporate America for my entire adult life, snowflakes don't last. Personal responsibility and accountability are key.
She is calling others “Snowflakes” yet she seems to be the one melting down here.

Fortunately for me, the group administrator shut down the comments in the thread before I got there, or I probably would have said something I would now regret. (well not really)

Addie

Re: Social Justice Symposium

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:24 pm

:thumbs:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Another thing... the mom talks about "Personal responsibility and accountability.”

According to her Facebook profile, she works for a drug marketing company. one of their top products is a drug for constipation caused by opiate use.

In other words, she has the gall to talk about Personal responsibility and accountability when she is working for a firm that is profiting on the opioid abuse crisis.
Sekrit Stuffs!
And the dad has a bunch of gun toting pictures on his web site as well as a shared link to a Levoy Finicum conspiracy video

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:07 am

Chilidog wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:06 pm
Another thing... the mom talks about "Personal responsibility and accountability.”

According to her Facebook profile, she works for a drug marketing company. one of their top products is a drug for constipation caused by opiate use.

In other words, she has the gall to talk about Personal responsibility and accountability when she is working for a firm that is profiting on the opioid abuse crisis.
Sekrit Stuffs!
And the dad has a bunch of gun toting pictures on his web site as well as a shared link to a Levoy Finicum conspiracy video
To be fair, people with cancer sometimes use opioid meds. And not everyone who uses those medications is an abuser of them. There are many responsible pain management patient. Some of them do experience side effects, such as constipation, even though not abusing the drug. This is
a commonly reported side effect.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:05 am

OK. But that doesn't excuse the Finicum share.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 am

Chilidog wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:05 am
OK. But that doesn't excuse the Finicum share.
:lol: Yes!
Off Topic
My only issue has to do with pain management. People who deal with chronic pain issues are very much under the gun and constantly having to fight for the right to get adequate relief from legitimate pain issues that they did not cause themselves. And, sometimes a person has a condition that cannot be treated without small amounts of opioids, and it's important those are available to those who need them and do not abuse them. The more people understand this, the better chance of that happening.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Social Issues”