Military and Civilian Gov't

DejaMoo

Re: Military and Civilian Gov't

Post by DejaMoo »

Addie wrote:Business Insider
US military leaders distance themselves from Trump's stance on Charlottesville

"No place for racial hatred or extremism in @USMC," Gen. Robert Neller, the Marine Corps commandant

The US Navy's senior military officer weighed in Saturday

The official Twitter account for the 82nd Airborne Division, one of the US Army's renowned infantry units
Notable for its absence: the Air Force, which is a hotbed of fundie extremists.
I've heard this bull before.

June bug

Post by June bug »

DejaMoo wrote:Notable for its absence: the Air Force, which is a hotbed of fundie extremists.
No chit, Cherlock.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Well, the Chief of Staff of the Air Force did tweet this:

Text reads:
I stand with my fellow service chiefs in saying we're always stronger together-it's who we are as #Airmen
Interesting choice of words, that.

ETA: And he's a Joo http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/ameri ... m-1.716577
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

June bug

Post by June bug »

I stand corrected, Maybenaut - thanks. Over the years I've followed a lot of stories about the AF Academy's over-abundance of RWFNJs, but perhaps that culture has or is changing.

And I agree his wording is interesting.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

June bug wrote:I stand corrected, Maybenaut - thanks. Over the years I've followed a lot of stories about the AF Academy's over-abundance of RWFNJs, but perhaps that culture has or is changing.

My experience as a former Army brat and Navy wife is that military enlisted more often than not support Republican candidates. But, the higher up the ladder, the more you start finding Democrats. Stronger together. Interesting indeed.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

In 27 years in the military I never heard anyone say "stronger together." At that level, those kinds of comments are usually well thought-out before they are sent. I do not doubt at all that the wording was intentional.

Quite the FU to the commander-in-chief.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
VA chief: 'Dishonor' to US veterans for Nazis to go unchallenged

Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin fiercely condemned white nationalists on Wednesday, saying that it is a "dishonor" to American veterans for neo-Nazis "to go unchallenged."

In a short press briefing in Bedminster, N.J., Shulkin denounced white supremacists and hate groups that fed the violence in Charlottesville, Va., over the weekend, saying their ideology and behavior is an "affront to American ideals."

"It is a dishonor to our country's veterans to allow the Nazis and the white supremacists to go unchallenged," Shulkin said. "And I am strongly against them, and I believe that we have to all speak up as Americans."

The secretary's comments came as criticism continued to mount around President Trump after he equated white nationalists to the protesters opposing them.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

June bug wrote:I stand corrected, Maybenaut - thanks. Over the years I've followed a lot of stories about the AF Academy's over-abundance of RWFNJs, but perhaps that culture has or is changing.

It is not changing. It is just hiding.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Addie

Post by Addie »

LA Times
Joint Chiefs denounce racism in stark terms as Trump's isolation grows

The nation’s top military officers issued public statements condemning racial bigotry and extremism, a rare foray into domestic politics that indicated deep unease Wednesday in the Pentagon with President Trump's views on race and underscored his growing isolation.

The social media posts from the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff — the commanders of the Navy, Marine Corps, Army and Air Force — came amid a torrent of criticism of Trump as business executives abandoned his advisory councils, Republican elected officials distanced themselves from him and previously friendly foreign leaders criticized his comments suggesting an equivalence between neo-Nazi groups and their opponents. ...

But it was the statements from the country’s top uniformed military leaders that broke most dramatically with precedent.

Each used his official Twitter account to denounce the far-right protesters behind Saturday's deadly violence in Charlottesville, Va. — and not those who had confronted them.

They did not mention their commander in chief by name. But three of the four posts appeared after Trump sparked a bipartisan furor Tuesday by repeatedly blaming "both sides" for the clashes that followed a march by neo-Nazis, white supremacists and their allies, ending with the death of a counter-protester.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

I think we missed this one on Thursday, so "for completeness":

The Hill
Top general: 'No place for racism and bigotry' in military

The highest officer in the U.S. military on Thursday said there is no place for racism in the military or in America, endorsing the service chiefs’ comments in the wake of the racially motivated violence in Charlottesville, Va., over the weekend.

"I can absolutely and unambiguously tell you there is no place — no place — for racism and bigotry in the U.S. military or in the United States as a whole,” Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters traveling with him in China, as quoted by the Pentagon’s news service.

Dunford’s comments come after the chiefs of the Air Force, Marines, Navy, Army and National Guard — all members of the Joint Chiefs — denounced racism in tweets over the last few days.

Dunford said the tweets were important to send a message to both the military and the American people.

"They were speaking directly to the force and to the American people: to the force to make clear that that kind of racism and bigotry is not going to stand inside the force. And to the American people, to remind them of the values for which we stand in the U.S. military, which are reflective of the values of the United States," he said.

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Guardian
Don't pin your hopes on military generals saving the world from Trump

Defiance of an elected president would spark a constitutional crisis. Once you start expecting the generals save the republic, there’s no telling where it leads

Chaos continues to reign at the White House, with Steve Bannon its latest casualty. Despite the best efforts of the new chief of staff, John Kelly – a retired United States Marine Corps general – to impose order, the real source of the chaos is the president himself.

That’s bad enough for domestic politics, but given the deteriorating situations in Afghanistan and on the Korean peninsula, there’s a wholly reasonable fear that our thin-skinned, egomaniac commander-in-chief just might tweet us into a major shooting war.

In the face of these fears, there has arisen around the White House and among the “wise men” of Washington the comforting idea that responsible grownups are firmly at the helm of America’s national security.

Over the weekend, the former homeland security secretary Jeh Johnson made this striking assertion: “Frankly, if ... my friend John Kelly or my friend Jim Mattis came to me and said I’m thinking about resigning from this White House, I’d say, ‘Absolutely not. You have to stay,’” Johnson said. “We need people like John Kelly, Jim Mattis, HR McMaster to right the ship.”

Many experienced hands in Washington now believe the Pentagon brass won’t let the president do anything stupid, nor would they follow a suicidal order to launch attacks. After all, they’ve already ignored Trump’s ridiculous “trans-ban”, right? There’s actually talk among establishment insiders about an unofficial “Committee to Save America” made up of the generals, Trump’s New York cabal and a few Republican senators.

What’s wrong with this picture?

Addie

Post by Addie »

Salon - Matthew Rozsa
The Pentagon has told Trump that it will not allow itself to be politicized

Update: Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan told reporters on Sunday that the White House Military Office coordinated directly with the Navy's Seventh Fleet to conceal the USS John S. McCain from Trump's view, according to CNN. ...

The Pentagon sent its message to the White House in the aftermath of an incident in which officials at the White House military office reportedly directed the USS John S. McCain to be kept out of sight while Trump delivered a speech in Japan, according to Reuters. Although the order was not followed after senior officials at the Navy learned about it and pushed back, the incident has raised concerns about whether Trump is improperly politicizing the military.

In a statement, Lieutenant Colonel Joe Buccino said that "[Acting] Secretary [of Defense Patrick] Shanahan directed his chief of staff to speak with the White House military office and reaffirm his mandate that the Department of Defense will not be politicized."

He added, "The chief of staff reported that he did reinforce this message."

Shanahan told reporters that, after reviewing the incident, he did not believe it would be necessary to call for an inspector general investigation. That said, he made it clear that he did not believe political use of the military is appropriate.

"There is no room for politicizing the military," Shanahan told reporters.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:o Shanahan walking the plank in 3... 2... 1... :think:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:09 pm
:o Shanahan walking the plank Keelhauling in 3... 2... 1... :think:
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Addie

Post by Addie »

What's the White House "military office"? Who works there?

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Addie wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:27 pm
All five of the Armed Forces have military members assigned to the White House Military Office. They do a bunch of stuff... Air Force One, Marine Corps One, security at Camp David, a ceremonial unit, among other things. I was almost assigned there as military aide to the Vice President but I convinced the detailer that I would not be the best choice.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Thanks, Maybenaut. Does that make this whole uproar Military to Military, and not WH to Military?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:56 pm
Addie wrote:
All five of the Armed Forces have military members assigned to the White House Military Office. They do a bunch of stuff... Air Force One, Marine Corps One, security at Camp David, a ceremonial unit, among other things. I was almost assigned there as military aide to the Vice President but I convinced the detailer that I would not be the best choice.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: Diplomacy isn’t one of your many many strengths. :kiss:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

That won't do Stranahan's stock any good with Der Trumpenführer.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Whatever4 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:59 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:56 pm
Addie wrote:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: Diplomacy isn’t one of your many many strengths. :kiss:
Perhaps not. But self-preservation is. As I recall, when the assignment officer called to tell me I was on the short list (Cheney was VP), I burst out laughing and said something like, “Have you seen me? I’m good at what I do, but I’m not Military Barbie. You probably do want someone else.”

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Economist: Donald Trump falls out with the military establishment he once wooed

The controversy over a disgraced Navy SEAL highlights a wider crisis in civil-military relations

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

:shock:

Trump Orders Navy to Strip Medals From Prosecutors in War Crimes Trial

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/us/p ... rimes.html
Mr. Trump angrily lashed out at the Navy for awarding commendations to prosecutors in the murder trial of Edward Gallagher, a former special operations chief, and he publicly instructed Pentagon officials to strip them of the medals. His announcement was a remarkable rebuke by a president of his own Navy leadership.

“The Prosecutors who lost the case against SEAL Eddie Gallagher (who I released from solitary confinement so he could fight his case properly), were ridiculously given a Navy Achievement Medal,” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter. “Not only did they lose the case, they had difficulty with respect to information that may have been obtained from opposing lawyers and for giving immunity in a totally incompetent fashion.”

He added: “I have directed the Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer & Chief of Naval Operations John Richardson to immediately withdraw and rescind the awards. I am very happy for Eddie Gallagher and his family.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

That’s going to go over well, I bet.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie »

The 25th Amendment is seeming closer and closer.

realist

Post by realist »

Whatever4 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 pm
That’s going to go over well, I bet.
Well, we should know how it went over but I"ve not heard anything about it. I likely missed it.

The article is dated July 2019. :think:
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Return to “Military”