Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

TX sues Biden over border wall

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

TX sues Biden over border wall

Post by RTH10260 »

Land Commissioner George P. Bush sues Biden administration over halt to Texas-Mexico border wall construction
The lawsuit says the president had no legal right to put a stop to wall construction on the Texas-Mexico border because Congress had already appropriated the funds.

BY URIEL J. GARCÍA
JULY 14, 20213 PM CENTRAL

Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush has filed a lawsuit against the Biden administration, claiming the president is illegally preventing the construction of a wall on the Texas-Mexico border.

Bush announced the lawsuit Wednesday, saying his office is suing Biden and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas “on grounds that (the Biden administration) is illegally preventing the border wall from being constructed.”

“The issue here is simple — no man is above the law. And that includes President Biden,” Bush said.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/14 ... uit-biden/
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: TX sues Biden over border wall

Post by raison de arizona »

So when Trump was president, he could divert money however he wanted, contradicting Congress for the wall and that was fine. But now that Biden is president, the chief executive has no power? Weird how that works.

And what ever happened to Mexico paying for the wall? Bueller?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Actually, it is my understanding that congress did NOT appropriate funds for a border wall.

Congress appropriated funds for the military. Trump chose to spend the money elsewhere, namely, the wall.

I believed at the time, and I still believe, that Trump violated the law when he diverted the money.

If this suit makes it past the predictable MTD, I hope that the DOJ, as the government's attorneys, point this out. I further hope that the court rules that Biden was correcting an ongoing violation of the law and Constitution.
bob

Post by bob »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:14 pmTexas Land Commissioner George P. Bush
...who wants to be the next AGOTX.

In other words, this filing is just publicity for a political campaign.

(Legally, the issue will be standing, as in, there is none.)
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Over the years Congress and Presidents have squared off over impoundment, not spending money authorized by Congress. Now we have, um, essentially a private citizen suing Biden for not spending money that was not authorized by Congress. I can't quite figure out how to word that without the multiple negatives.

Of course, yes, it will be kicked on standing and it is only political posturing anyway. The sad part is that the true audience won't realize or even care about the fact that Biden is just following the constitution and will not spend money that was not authorized by Congress. These are the same people who blamed the lack of funding on the Democratic Congress even though 2 years of a Republican Congress did nothing on immigration.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

noblepa wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:32 pm Actually, it is my understanding that congress did NOT appropriate funds for a border wall.

Congress appropriated funds for the military. Trump chose to spend the money elsewhere, namely, the wall.

I believed at the time, and I still believe, that Trump violated the law when he diverted the money.

If this suit makes it past the predictable MTD, I hope that the DOJ, as the government's attorneys, point this out. I further hope that the court rules that Biden was correcting an ongoing violation of the law and Constitution.
I remember that some weeks ago Biden redireted the hijacked funds back to the military.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ironically the FENCE is not on the Border but is on US territory, creating a No mans land, effectively ceding land to Mexico
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:12 pm Ironically the FENCE is not on the Border but is on US territory, creating a No mans land, effectively ceding land to Mexico
Ironically the fence has holes, aka huge sliding doors, so that farmers owning land on the "Mexican" side of US soil can access their fields, and I remember one family having their homestead within nomansland.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I think there's also an entire golf course on the Mexico side of the wall.

Correction: There USED to be an entire golf course on the Mexico side of the wall. After 50 years, GWB's wall put it out of business.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 681415001/
“I had a business, the community had a place people could meet and socialize and enjoy life, and golf had an affordable spot,” Bob Lucio, the course’s former owner, told USA TODAY Sports as he walked along an overgrown path and remembered what once was. “Now it is like it never even existed.”

It did exist for more than 50 years but was stuck in what is quite literally a no man's land for nearly a decade before going out of business in 2015.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

Not about that dumb lawsuit (is it ded yet?), but: ABC: Mexico to pay $1.5 billion for US border security and processing, source says:
The collaboration signifies something of a reset between Mexico and the U.S.

Mexico on Tuesday agreed to contribute $1.5 billion to a joint initiative with the U.S. to improve infrastructure along the U.S.-Mexico border, according to a person familiar with the commitment.
We're going a build a wall ... and Mexico is going to pay for it? :faint:

From what I understand, "infrastructure" does not mean (only) wall.
Image ImageImage

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”